Steel Grind

BenAnd

Jan 26, 2018, 2:45:57 PM1/26/18
Repairing metal housing.

7/8" steel tube with ends slightly rounded inwards.
I need to remove all and a little more of the rounding inwards.

What material bit for either 1/4" OR 1/8" shank hand drill motor or
Dremel is best to use ?

I have many of these to do.

tabb...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2018, 2:58:27 PM1/26/18
For steel, silicon carbide. Alox is much slower, and silicon dioxide best used on hard cheese rinds only. Diamond tends to be very variable. Tungsten carbide is good stuff.

NT

BenAnd

Jan 26, 2018, 3:28:03 PM1/26/18
How do the vitrious silicon carbide bits hold up ?

~misfit~

Feb 15, 2018, 9:28:39 PM2/15/18
I'd use the Dremel CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels. I bought a few to test
them and they are great for jobs with steel.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

gghe...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2018, 1:11:05 PM2/17/18
Can you just re-cut the end?
Maybe a step drill bit, or a conical bit.
(A dremel sounds a bit wimpy for the job, unless it's thin walled
SS.)

George H.

MOP CAP

Feb 17, 2018, 4:55:34 PM2/17/18
I may not understand exactly what you mean. When plumbers and
electrician cut pipe or conduit they use a conical pipe reamer or for
lighter pipe a flat vee shaped one.
CP

Ralph Mowery

Feb 17, 2018, 5:06:29 PM2/17/18
In article <5bcf8620-15e5-4969...@googlegroups.com>,
gghe...@gmail.com says...
Did anyone mention a tapered reamer ? The pipe threading machines
usually have them built in.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2018, 11:57:06 PM3/8/18
Do they work on rigid? pipe?