Ahmed Mohamed

Seymore4Head

Sep 25, 2015, 6:44:03 PM9/25/15
I assume everyone has heard of this kid and his clock.
http://truthuncensored.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ahmed-mohamed-clock.jpg

The picture of the clock shows a 9V battery hookup but no battery.
That means the kid either had to plug the clock in or it does have
batteries that are not shown.

If we assume that there are no batteries, can this clock store it's
alarm time? I say no, but I don't know.

If not, that means that the kid had to plug the clock in during class
and also program it to alarm. The clock can not accidentally go off
without battery back up. Right?

Con Saris

Sep 25, 2015, 7:13:06 PM9/25/15
9v battery connector on LHS

Cursitor Doom

Sep 25, 2015, 7:55:46 PM9/25/15
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 18:41:11 -0400, Seymore4Head wrote:

[...]

The whole thing is bullshit made up for political purposes:

http://www.infowars.com/video-of-white-guy-with-briefcase-clock-
contradicts-claim-ahmed-mohamed-was-targeted-because-he-was-muslim/

Michael Black

Sep 25, 2015, 11:14:33 PM9/25/15
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015, Seymore4Head wrote:

> I assume everyone has heard of this kid and his clock.
> http://truthuncensored.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ahmed-mohamed-clock.jpg
>
> The picture of the clock shows a 9V battery hookup but no battery.
> That means the kid either had to plug the clock in or it does have
> batteries that are not shown.

First, all he did was take the innards out of a commercial clock and
transplant them into his own box. People actually built digital clocks in
the late sixties and early seventies, wiring up all that TTL and
readouts. Then National and some other companies came out with LSI that
put most of the circuitry in one large IC, and that caused more building,
though it was simpler. After a while, endless companies were selling
"clock kits" with the ICs and readouts and other few needed parts. Then
by the late seventies, nobody did it that way, National (at least) had
clock modules that one just had to wire to a transformer and switches, and
put in a box. Godbout probably sold a lot of those. Then virtually nobody
built clocks, it was easier if you needed the function to either get one
of those modules, or buy a clock radio at a garage sale and use the clock
from that.

Gee, in the early seventies one could buy digital watch kits, that was
just following instructions, but more work needed than this kid and his
clock.

The 9v battery was surely there to keep the time when the power went off.
The clock doesn't run from that battery. (And thinking about it now, if
the photo came from the cops, maybe they detached the battery "to be
safe").

> If we assume that there are no batteries, can this clock store it's
> alarm time? I say no, but I don't know.

If the clock has no power whatever, then of course it can't keep time.

> If not, that means that the kid had to plug the clock in during class
> and also program it to alarm. The clock can not accidentally go off
> without battery back up. Right?

If it's plugged into the wall, it doesn't need the battery.

Michael

John-Del

Sep 26, 2015, 5:13:51 AM9/26/15
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 11:14:33 PM UTC-4, Michael Black wrote:
Then National and some other companies came out with LSI that
> put most of the circuitry in one large IC, and that caused more building,
> though it was simpler.

Hehe... In the late 70s I ordered a digital clock "kit" from PolyPaks (old timers remember them!) a surplus electronic components company. What I got was a box of 4 "nixie" type General Electric fluorescent display tubes (9 pin in a 12AX7 bottle), a breadboard, AC trans, rect, resistors, capacitors and a National Semiconductor clock chip. I also got the data sheets for the the tubes and the IC, but no instructions on how to wire this in the literal sense. Being in a hurry, I didn't etch a PC but mounted the sockets and the IC in the breadboard, and hand wired each segment of each tube to the corresponding segment outputs to the clock chip by following the datasheets and built the simple power supply including the brightness adjustment which I believe adjusted the display tube heater voltage.

The folks at National actually designed and built this clock, but what I did was a hell of a lot more work than what little Ahmad did.

I should post pics of my clock as it still works, but the wiring under the board is a rat's nest.

Oltimer

Sep 26, 2015, 7:08:38 AM9/26/15
I reckon his old man set him up knowing full well what would happen.

N_Cook

Sep 26, 2015, 11:23:51 AM9/26/15
Going by the chaffing of the mains cable, on closing the case, just as
well he got nabbed. Fire+electrocution hazard, even if not explosive hazard.
What happened in later life (still living?), for the kid that made a
nuclear reactor in his parent's garden shed, using old radium clock
dials etc?

Don Bruder

Sep 26, 2015, 12:07:18 PM9/26/15
In article <mu6d6b$t25$1...@dont-email.me>, N_Cook <div...@tcp.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 25/09/2015 23:41, Seymore4Head wrote:
> > I assume everyone has heard of this kid and his clock.
> > http://truthuncensored.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ahmed-mohamed-clock.jp
> >
> > The picture of the clock shows a 9V battery hookup but no battery.
> > That means the kid either had to plug the clock in or it does have
> > batteries that are not shown.
> >
> > If we assume that there are no batteries, can this clock store it's
> > alarm time? I say no, but I don't know.
> >
> > If not, that means that the kid had to plug the clock in during class
> > and also program it to alarm. The clock can not accidentally go off
> > without battery back up. Right?
> >

> Going by the chaffing of the mains cable, on closing the case, just as
> well he got nabbed. Fire+electrocution hazard, even if not explosive hazard.

And tell me, - just how stupid does somebody have to be in order to not
figure out "Duh - when the lid is closed, the device needs no power, as
it's obviously not being used - Perhaps I ought to throw the cable
inside before I shut the lid..."? (Yes, I'm taking a slap at *YOUR*
stupidity - because that's exactly what it was: A stupid nitpick that
wouldn't have been made by anyone with a bit of common sense - Or anyone
not looking for an excuse to chew on the kid's tail for no justifiable
reason - Kinda like the dumbfuck cops trying to defend their mishandling
of the case by trotting out some moron to explain "Well, we were too
stupid to actually think, so we ran the kid through the mill to try to
justify our existence.")

The kid done good. The Powers That Be fucked up - In spades.

> What happened in later life (still living?), for the kid that made a
> nuclear reactor in his parent's garden shed, using old radium clock
> dials etc?

Last I heard, he was in the navy.

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q

amdx

Sep 27, 2015, 7:33:51 AM9/27/15
On 9/26/2015 11:07 AM, Don Bruder wrote:
> In article <mu6d6b$t25$1...@dont-email.me>, N_Cook <div...@tcp.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 25/09/2015 23:41, Seymore4Head wrote:
>>> I assume everyone has heard of this kid and his clock.
>>> http://truthuncensored.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ahmed-mohamed-clock.jp

The way this has been treated will not be good for the,
"if you see something, say something" protection from terrorists campaign.
I guess from now on, if it's a white male, go ahead "say something"
but if it's a minority, do you want to open yourself up to the ridicule?
We're fucked, to much PC for our own good.

Mikek

Oltimer

Sep 27, 2015, 10:18:35 AM9/27/15
Don, you fool. You have obviously not seen an aluminium frame tool case
close on a power lead AC, DC or otherwise.

Ian Field

Sep 27, 2015, 1:25:09 PM9/27/15

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015, Seymore4Head wrote:
>
>> I assume everyone has heard of this kid and his clock.
>> http://truthuncensored.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ahmed-mohamed-clock.jpg
>>
>> The picture of the clock shows a 9V battery hookup but no battery.
>> That means the kid either had to plug the clock in or it does have
>> batteries that are not shown.
>>
> First, all he did was take the innards out of a commercial clock and
> transplant them into his own box. People actually built digital clocks in
> the late sixties and early seventies, wiring up all that TTL

Way back then I started one from a design in the back of a Henry's radio
catalogue.

The LSI chips turned up before I finished it, a ready made clock was
suddenly such a reasonable price that building one with dozens of SSI TTL
seemed hardly worth it.

The board might even still be in a tea chest somewhere at the back of the
garage.

Michael Black

Sep 27, 2015, 1:32:46 PM9/27/15
WHy cant' the kid just be a poser?

He follows the Make culture, doing anything, even pasting together
circuitry sold to people so they don't have to solder, is "Making".
In the old days, the technology was cool, you weren't, you got picked on
or beat up at high school. But "Make" says it's all "cool", and nothing
deserves criticism.

If you broaden something enough, anyone can participate, look at how the
internet has gone. It's like teaching amateur radio in elementary school,
everyone gets a license, but few will actually pursue it to any extent
beyond that classroom.

They had a soapbox derby here recently, I looked closer and saw that
nobody was making the cars, there were some standard cars which the kids
got to race.

In that context, some kid who opened up a commercial clock and
transplanted it into another box is of course a "Maker", and wants the
prestige the "Maker Movement" expects. He certainly didn't expect to be
told "that's not building a clock" let alone "it's a bomb".

The funny thing is, "Make" has been pushing this, and in their regular
advertising email, they offered a selection of clocks from their store,
including one made to look like a bomb. That's the leadership, not doing
something for the sake of doing something, but for the sake of adulation
from others. And apparently making clocks that look like bombs is
acceptable in the "Maker World".

The dumb thing about this discussion is that while he's a rank beginner,
the fact that he is young isn't some indicator of a conspiracy.

I was building things, or trying to, when I was 11. I got my ham license
when I was 12, and was playing with high voltage soon after (it was 1972,
the tail end of the tube era). I knew way more about electronics than
anyone in high school. Lots of people back then had similar experience,
well lots if you look at people interested in hobby electronics or amateur
radio or even professionals in electronics. Few if you compare to the
general population, there were a few interested in high school, we all
knew who the other ones were.

Michael

John-Del

Sep 27, 2015, 5:32:02 PM9/27/15
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 12:07:18 PM UTC-4, Don Bruder wrote:
Kinda like the dumbfuck cops trying to defend their mishandling
> of the case by trotting out some moron to explain "Well, we were too
> stupid to actually think, so we ran the kid through the mill to try to
> justify our existence.")

Yeah, I'm sure that was the motivation. And btw, that "clock" looked a lot more like a bomb that the Pop-tart bitten into the shape of a gun looked like a weapon. All that "clock" needs is some C-4 and it's a bomb. And do you think the CIA won't inspect that "clock" closely when it arrives at the White House?

> The kid done good.

The kid did nothing. He built nothing. Ironically, this is one time Obama could have said "you didn't make that" to anyone and he would have been right.

Oltimer

Sep 28, 2015, 9:00:52 AM9/28/15
I don't doubt the kid likes to tinker & good luck to him.

What I don't believe is that his father (check out his history) was
surprised about the response. I still reckon the father facilitated the
response.

How good would it be to be a kid today with a real interest in
engineering, science or electronics. Stuff is so cheap and available.
Information is just a click away.

Mike

Sep 28, 2015, 10:20:08 AM9/28/15
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>He follows the Make culture, doing anything, even pasting together
>circuitry sold to people so they don't have to solder, is "Making".

The "components" are simultanouesly getting smaller (SMD) and
bigger -- canned modules are a "component" now.

>The funny thing is, "Make" has been pushing this, and in their regular
>advertising email, they offered a selection of clocks from their store,
>including one made to look like a bomb.

There was an instructable (www.instructables.com) where someone
designed a clock -- rebuilt an existing mains powered clock -- into
a "dynamite stick bundle with wires and red LED" project. It looked
great, but my immediate worry was -- what happens when a cop
sees it? As usual, "oh that's just a theoretical worry, it wouldn't
happen, cops aren't that stupid" etc. responses ...

Well, sometimes it does happen! Even an LED/magnet "throwie" chucked
somewhere up under a bridge can trigger an alert. Not through
stupidity, as such, just a bit of paranoia!
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk

colone...@yahoo.com

Sep 28, 2015, 1:26:57 PM9/28/15
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015, Seymore4Head wrote:

Ya'll don't know a troll when you see one?

keithr0

Sep 29, 2015, 3:43:22 AM9/29/15
On 29/09/2015 12:14 AM, Mike wrote:
> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>> He follows the Make culture, doing anything, even pasting together
>> circuitry sold to people so they don't have to solder, is "Making".

Come on! This is the 21st century, whipping up an Arduino based
datalogger is just as much "Making" as building a super regen receiver
using tubes, carbon resistors and a solder gun were back in the day.

> The "components" are simultanouesly getting smaller (SMD) and
> bigger -- canned modules are a "component" now.
>
>> The funny thing is, "Make" has been pushing this, and in their regular
>> advertising email, they offered a selection of clocks from their store,
>> including one made to look like a bomb.
>
> There was an instructable (www.instructables.com) where someone
> designed a clock -- rebuilt an existing mains powered clock -- into
> a "dynamite stick bundle with wires and red LED" project. It looked
> great, but my immediate worry was -- what happens when a cop
> sees it? As usual, "oh that's just a theoretical worry, it wouldn't
> happen, cops aren't that stupid" etc. responses ...
>
> Well, sometimes it does happen! Even an LED/magnet "throwie" chucked
> somewhere up under a bridge can trigger an alert. Not through
> stupidity, as such, just a bit of paranoia!

You can make a bomb without a clock, but you can't make one without
explosives. You'd think that the cops would have noticed that, but, then
again, maybe not.

I hope those cops never come around to my house, they'd probably think
that it was a terrorist bomb factory, what with all the circuit boards
and wiring lying around.

amdx

Sep 29, 2015, 10:02:14 AM9/29/15
On 9/27/2015 4:31 PM, John-Del wrote:
> On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 12:07:18 PM UTC-4, Don Bruder wrote:
> Kinda like the dumbfuck cops trying to defend their mishandling
>> of the case by trotting out some moron to explain "Well, we were too
>> stupid to actually think, so we ran the kid through the mill to try to
>> justify our existence.")
>
> Yeah, I'm sure that was the motivation. And btw, that "clock" looked a lot more like a bomb that the Pop-tart bitten into the shape of a gun looked like a weapon.

>All that "clock" needs is some C-4 and it's a bomb. And do you think the CIA won't inspect that "clock" closely when it arrives at the White House?

Hey Mister president, "can I bring my clock? Um, your not worried that
I would bring a bomb are you?
On entry to the white house, we need to check your clock, "why, it's a
clock! But we need to verify that. "You mean like my teachers?"

I'm sure the reaction would be severe if I tried to carry that
(clock) into the white house.

Mikek

Seymore4Head

Sep 29, 2015, 12:35:45 PM9/29/15
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:43:51 +1000, keithr0 <us...@account.invalid>
wrote:
No one has ever said the kid had a bomb. The first teacher he showed
it to said that it looked like a bomb and to put it away and not show
it to anyone else. The kid took it to another teacher and plugged it
in the wall so it would alarm during class. He was questioned by
teachers and by the police about whether he brought the clock in to
make it look like a pretend bomb, which is still a crime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzUtR5TvuzQ

Here is the mayor saying that law enforcement and "numerous" teachers
are receiving death threats over the incident. I have yet to see a
single report about death threats on the news. It seems that death
threats from the "religion of peace" do not fit the MSM narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=198&v=weTqNxXHLRk

Tom Del Rosso

Oct 14, 2015, 4:08:16 PM10/14/15
I never suspected he was targeted because he is Muslim. Considering the
things that get kids suspended from U.S. schools nowadays, like drawing
a picture of a gun, I never doubted that he was suspended because
teachers and policemen are all idiots. When I was his age I made a
bicycle odometer which certainly would have gotten me the same treatment
if it was today.

BuckyBalls

Oct 16, 2015, 8:25:23 AM10/16/15
America is going downhill fast. 9-11 let the idiots loose to arrest
anyone for anything in the name of 'homeland security'. But there is
hope, thanks to brave people like Edward Snowden and Julian Assange who
tell the people the real truth, unlike the lying fucking governments who
cannot be trusted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden
https://wikileaks.org/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

Ian Field

Oct 25, 2015, 3:34:37 PM10/25/15

"Seymore4Head" <Seymor...@Hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ahkmed+the+dead+terrorist&FORM=VIRE5#view=detail&mid=8B62D1281D2DE0B7E5008B62D1281D2DE0B7E500

Michael Black

Oct 30, 2015, 5:12:26 PM10/30/15
It's all now moot, the family is apparently moving overseas.

Michael

Seymore4Head

Nov 1, 2015, 10:10:38 PM11/1/15
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 18:41:11 -0400, Seymore4Head
Here is a little update on Ahmed
http://valleypatriot.com/see-something-say-something-unless/

This guy says that the "clock" was counting down. If this is true, it
means that Ahmed would have to have done something in the way of
programming to get the clock to count down.

I would call something that counts down a timer and not a clock.

I am unaware of any alarm clock today that also works as a timer much
less a clock what was supposed to be from more than 10 years ago.

news13

Nov 2, 2015, 6:54:37 AM11/2/15
On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 22:05:58 -0500, Seymore4Head wrote:

> This guy says that the "clock" was counting down.

With out details of the conversion, the guy is a wanker.
That is the claim that news sources for ijit make.
In a tech area, you need to give technical details for any cred.

> I would call something that counts down a timer and not a clock.

My alarm clock "counts down" to alarm time.

> I am unaware of any alarm clock today that also works as a timer much
> less a clock what was supposed to be from more than 10 years ago.

Err, plenty of them around, e.g basic snooze button capacity.
I've just retired a 40 year old radio/alarm clock that could be set to
turn on a cassette tape and record to it.

John-Del

Nov 24, 2015, 10:07:47 AM11/24/15
Looks like the little terrorist is still in the news:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34904226

And it gripes me that news stories still refer to the pseudo bomb he brought to school as the clock he "built".

And did the Secret Service let Little Mo bring that "clock" in to the White House without inspecting it carefully to make sure there was no C4 behind the LCD screen?

If this punk and his father have a case, what about the kids that got suspended for pointing a Pop Tart like a gun?

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Dec 1, 2015, 2:08:56 PM12/1/15
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 21:00:45 +0800, Oltimer <n...@nup.com> Gave us:

>I don't doubt the kid likes to tinker & good luck to him.
>
>What I don't believe is that his father (check out his history) was
>surprised about the response. I still reckon the father facilitated the
>response.
>
>How good would it be to be a kid today with a real interest in
>engineering, science or electronics. Stuff is so cheap and available.
>Information is just a click away.

So is the hardware bits.

http://www.mikroe.com/click/

Cross posting retarded fucks.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Dec 1, 2015, 2:11:41 PM12/1/15
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:43:51 +1000, keithr0 <us...@account.invalid> Gave
us:

>Come on! This is the 21st century, whipping up an Arduino based
>datalogger is just as much "Making" as building a super regen receiver
>using tubes, carbon resistors and a solder gun were back in the day.

Utter bullshit. Slapping together pre-built modules is far from
making.

Even assembling a Heathkit was borderline and mere assembly skill
bolstering. Modern crap is even less.

Cross posting fucking retards.

Michael Black

Dec 1, 2015, 3:28:32 PM12/1/15
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:43:51 +1000, keithr0 <us...@account.invalid> Gave
> us:
>
>> Come on! This is the 21st century, whipping up an Arduino based
>> datalogger is just as much "Making" as building a super regen receiver
>> using tubes, carbon resistors and a solder gun were back in the day.
>

> Utter bullshit. Slapping together pre-built modules is far from
> making.

Not in the "Maker Universe". They've deliberately broadened it and dumbed
it down in order to get the masses. At its core, it's not different, and
it depends on the old types of builders for the actual building, but it's
more a social movement, and social movements often want/need to include
people. So "learning to solder" is seen as elitist, they can tape
together circuits (even something as simple as an LED) because the end
result is more important than how you get there. or something like that.
It's conflicting, because nominally it is about "making", yet as a
movement it wouldn't exist if it wasn't about showing off the end results.

The week the "clock bomb" story hit, Make had an emailing about some
related kits in the "Maker Shed", and one was a thing that counted down
time "like a fake bomb". The message of the "movement" is conflicting, no
wonder the kid got in trouble.

> Even assembling a Heathkit was borderline and mere assembly skill
> bolstering. Modern crap is even less.

Yes. Heathkits were made to be built by anyone, that is what stands out
about them. They'd work on the instructions by testing by people with no
experience, and then improve based on feedback. They could issue
completed circuits simply by having preassembled and aligned modules.
Thast's not a negative thing, it was a good thing (in their case) and one
reason they survived wsa by selling kits to a variety of people. Yes, the
electronic hobbyist would assemble that organ or tv set or boonie bike,
because they were interested in electronics, but so could Joe Average, and
get some saving compared to an assembled item (at least for some of the
history of the company). But you didnt' even need to know how to solder,
the instructions didn't work if you didn't follow them, and what you
learned about electronics came from other things.

The "Maker" equivalent is some preassembled board where you can use
software to "make" things or buy those LED stickers so you can light up
your teddy bear or whatever.

Michael