Of all the stupid things . . . .

olds...@tubes.com

May 27, 2017, 9:13:45 PM5/27/17
Of all the stupid things . . . .
While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
upside down.....

What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?

I have the software to flip graphics, but I dont have the slightest clue
how to flip a PDF file.

Dont people check this stuff before they post it?

(No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never
seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).

I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.

Jon Elson

May 27, 2017, 9:22:50 PM5/27/17
I guess you can turn your monitor upside down!

Jon

thekma...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 9:27:16 PM5/27/17
Not to spoon feed ya, but most
recent versions of Adobe Acrobat
reader should have a rotate
function. Ctrl+R, and equivalent
command on Macs.

rickman

May 27, 2017, 9:38:03 PM5/27/17
There is a reason why he likes tube equipment.

I had my oscilloscope open once to fix a problem and on a whim I decided to
swap the connections for the horizontal sweep. Don't know why, I just did.
Now I'm very used to it. If I were to want to share any photographs of
traces I would have to reverse the image for anyone else to look at... not
that it would be likely this is needed.

--

Rick C

analogdial

May 27, 2017, 11:47:25 PM5/27/17
olds...@tubes.com wrote:

> Of all the stupid things . . . .
> While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
> upside down.....
>
> What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?

Yes, that would work. The suggestion to turn your monitor upside down
is also good. If you have a mirror or two, you could flip the image
with them. Failing that, you could have your eyeballs surgically
inverted.

> I have the software to flip graphics, but I dont have the slightest clue
> how to flip a PDF file.

It's almost impossible on my PDF viewer. I can either drop a menu by
clicking on some stupid icon which might look something like a dog eared
piece of paper and then clicking on the words "rotate right" or "rotate
left". Why did they make it so obscure and why did they give me too
many choices? Probably programmed by damn kids who have no respect for
their elders, that's why.

Then, to add to the confusion, I can rotate images without the menu by
pressing on the Ctrl key and the right arrow key OR pressing on the Ctrl
key and the LEFT arrow key. Whew!!

> Dont people check this stuff before they post it?

What else would you expect with today's failing education system and the
"everyone gets a trophy" attitude? They're just raising kids to be
selfish and idiotic.

> (No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never
> seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).
>
> I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.

That works, too.

Jeff Liebermann

May 28, 2017, 12:36:39 AM5/28/17
On Sat, 27 May 2017 20:10:55 -0400, olds...@tubes.com wrote:

>Of all the stupid things . . . .
>While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
>upside down.....
>What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?

Most PDF viewers will rotate pages. Older versions of Adobe Acrobat
Viewer will not. I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead
of Acrobat:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
How to rotate pages:
<http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>

You can also rotate documents online:
<https://www.pdfrotate.com>
Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Jeff Liebermann

May 28, 2017, 12:48:11 AM5/28/17
On Sat, 27 May 2017 21:36:37 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead
>of Acrobat:
><https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
>How to rotate pages:
><http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>

Oops. You want Editor, not Viewer:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor>
Despite the pricing, the trial version of Editor will continue to work
after the trial period is over and retains a limited but useful subset
of the editing features (including page rotation).

rickman

May 28, 2017, 1:17:05 AM5/28/17
I didn't think of that. But you'll have to get the person at the print shop
to make sure the copies are made upside down or it will just be the same
problem.

--

Rick C

rickman

May 28, 2017, 1:21:52 AM5/28/17
Jeff Liebermann wrote on 5/28/2017 12:36 AM:
> On Sat, 27 May 2017 20:10:55 -0400, olds...@tubes.com wrote:
>
>> Of all the stupid things . . . .
>> While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
>> upside down.....
>> What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?
>
> Most PDF viewers will rotate pages. Older versions of Adobe Acrobat
> Viewer will not. I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead
> of Acrobat:
> <https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
> How to rotate pages:
> <http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>
>
> You can also rotate documents online:
> <https://www.pdfrotate.com>
> Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.

I recall many years ago, before we all had computers on our desks, we had a
small room with a couple of computers for everyone to share. One of the
secretaries was learning to use a small Mac, the one they drew in cartoons.
She knew nothing of how a mouse worked and was just learning to use the
machine. She asked someone what to do when the mouse hit the side of the
computer and the cursor wasn't where you wanted it.

The guy telling the story was laughing at her. I felt bad for her. She was
a very nice person, but didn't understand the world of engineers much less
engineering. That wasn't her fault. Engineers can be very stupid when
dealing with people.

--

Rick C

Rheilly Phoull

May 28, 2017, 3:36:13 AM5/28/17
On my version (which is Acrobat not the reader) you click on the symbol
that looks like a page with the corner turned down and scroll down to
"page display tools" where is shown a couple of rotate symbols which
will do just that.

analogdial

May 28, 2017, 4:04:22 AM5/28/17
rickman wrote:

> I didn't think of that. But you'll have to get the person at the print shop
> to make sure the copies are made upside down or it will just be the same
> problem.

Even if the print shop screws up and the pages are printed upside down,
the OP still has another choice. He could place the pages on a small
table and move the chair from the East side (for example) to the West
side.

This would also work with a flat screen monitor. A CRT monitor
would present some difficulties but there's no stopping the determined.

olds...@tubes.com

May 28, 2017, 4:37:32 AM5/28/17
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 May 2017 20:10:55 -0400, olds...@tubes.com wrote:
>
>>Of all the stupid things . . . .
>>While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
>>upside down.....
>>What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?
>
>Most PDF viewers will rotate pages. Older versions of Adobe Acrobat
>Viewer will not. I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead
>of Acrobat:
><https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
>How to rotate pages:
><http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>
>
>You can also rotate documents online:
><https://www.pdfrotate.com>
>Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.

I use PDF-Xchange viewer too, and you're right, it does have a rotate
feature. I never knew that was there..... Now I do.
I quit using Adobe reader years ago. I try to avoid all Adobe software.

Thanks for the help!

jurb...@gmail.com

May 28, 2017, 6:56:22 AM5/28/17
>"I quit using Adobe reader years ago. I try to avoid all Adobe software. "

They started this shit about "make hand cursor into select cursor" which happens after a few seconds. If you forget to move the mouse before clicking to move the view it selects the whole screen, and a second click DOES not deselect.

I found the setting that disables that stupid feature in older versions. Usually I have the thing magnified so that I can see it, as a result I frequently have to move it.

At work I ended up with the newest version and could not find the setting to disable that "feature". As such, I say this. Version seven is the newest you need fro almost anything. It will bitch once in a a while about wanting to download something about a foreign character set but who wants that ? I can't read it anyway. Can you read simplified Chinese ?

I do have Adobe Audition and though its interface is not the best, it is a 128 channel audio recorder, though only two channels at a time unless you have a special soundcard. That is a very low version and it is staying that way. I use it to rip vinyl to CD.

There was an older program I used for that, Cooledit. It was only two channels but it worked for the same purpose. turns out, Adobe Audition bear quite a resemblance to Cooledit and I soon found out that once you install Audition, Cooledit no longer works. It usurps one of the DLLs and I am pretty sure it does not back it up. So now the freeware doesn't work and is not likely to either.

Oh, and I have Adobe Photoshop. The version is about 20 years old and guess what, it can stay that way. I got XP and Vista and wish I would have upgraded the Vista machine to XP when I had the chance.

I will not buy ANYTHING new, especially software.

John Robertson

May 28, 2017, 11:29:01 AM5/28/17
See if your reader allows you to save the newly rotated image series.
Depending on how PDF-Exchange works you want to highlight ALL pages and
rotate them together. Then see if you can save the file in the new
orientation.

I use a Mac so the problem is trivial as Preview does all that with a
few simple steps: show thumbnails, select all thumbnails, rotate all
thumbnails (which are the pages), save.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

rickman

May 28, 2017, 11:45:14 AM5/28/17
I'm sure it depends on the program you are using, but most that allow you to
actually alter the file have separate controls for rotating the page vs.
just rotating the view. Usually rotating the view causes all pages in the
document to rotate. If you save that document it is unchanged. Rotating
the actual content is a separate control and is usually controlled
separately for each page. That is why you first select the pages you want
rotated. Not all PDF viewers have this feature as they are viewers and not
editors.

--

Rick C

Jeff Liebermann

May 28, 2017, 12:57:59 PM5/28/17
On Sun, 28 May 2017 01:21:46 -0400, rickman <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The guy telling the story was laughing at her. I felt bad for her. She was
>a very nice person, but didn't understand the world of engineers much less
>engineering. That wasn't her fault. Engineers can be very stupid when
>dealing with people.

Among other things, I'm in the computah repair and support business.
I've only laughed at a customer once, and it cost me the customer. I
think this was in the mid 1980's when CDROM drives had just been
introduced. I installed a 1X or 2X CDROM drive (with a CD caddy) in
her machine. I had left her office and made a stop at a local
shopping center for an ice cream fix. My pager went off and I
returned her call immediately, suspecting that I had done something
wrong. She asked me "how do I extract the CD disc"? After some
initial confusion, I determined that one of the standard procedures
were going to work. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out the
problem. She didn't understand the purpose of the CD caddy and had
inserted the CD in the only available slot. No, it wasn't into the
floppy disk drive, but into the space BETWEEN the 5.25" floppy drive
and the new CDROM drive. I couldn't resist laughing, which turned out
to be a huge mistake.

I finished my ice cream, drove back to her office, disassembled the
machine, and extracted the CDROM. I don't recall if I was still
chuckling, but I probably was. She was very quiet and looked rather
irate. The next day, I was informed by the bookkeeper that I should
send them a closing invoice, and that it would best if I would not
contact their office in the future. Oops. She apparently did not
take kindly to my laughing, which suggested that I thought she was
clueless.

Lesson learned. I no longer laugh at my customers mistakes, lack of
ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical
abilities, etc.

More of the same:
<http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/support.txt>

olds...@tubes.com

May 28, 2017, 1:57:22 PM5/28/17
On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:57:54 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>Lesson learned. I no longer laugh at my customers mistakes, lack of
>ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical
>abilities, etc.

Damn it, I'm Laughing out loud from reading this. How could you NOT
laugh at that one.....

My first thought was that she was a blond, and this would make a good
blond joke, but normally, blonds have a sense of humor and can laugh at
things like this. So, I guess you just met a plain asshole with no
brains....

olds...@tubes.com

May 28, 2017, 2:11:10 PM5/28/17
On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:28:53 -0700, John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com>
wrote:

>See if your reader allows you to save the newly rotated image series.
>Depending on how PDF-Exchange works you want to highlight ALL pages and
>rotate them together. Then see if you can save the file in the new
>orientation.

I rotated the entire file (all pages). I did a "SAVE AS" to retain the
original, in case it did not work properly. It worked fine. The saved
file is an identical file size and views properly.

When I rotated, it gave me the option to rotate "Current page", Selected
pages (by number), or rotate "ALL". I chose the "ALL" option.

Now I know why I like PDF-Xchange!

(By the way, I'm using their "portable version"). That's the only one
that runs on both XP and Windows 98.

Mark Zacharias

May 28, 2017, 2:55:50 PM5/28/17
Press and hold Shift, and Control, then press + or -. Each repeating press of + or - rotates by 1/4 turn.

jurb...@gmail.com

May 28, 2017, 2:59:30 PM5/28/17
>"Lesson learned. I no longer laugh at my customers mistakes, lack of
ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical
abilities, etc."

Sometimes the laugh is worth the money. We had someone call the TV shop to ask if the people on TV could also see them. this was a long time ago.

Now the question isn't quite as funny.

Michael Black

May 28, 2017, 4:03:04 PM5/28/17
I have one of those LCD monitors that can be flipped 90 degrees, though
I've yet to try it. That would be a start, sideways isn't as bad as
upside down.

A tablet wouldn't know which way it's oriented, so long as you lock the
screen for one direction.

Michael

Jeff Liebermann

May 28, 2017, 5:15:39 PM5/28/17
On Sun, 28 May 2017 12:54:19 -0400, olds...@tubes.com wrote:

>On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:57:54 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Lesson learned. I no longer laugh at my customers mistakes, lack of
>>ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical
>>abilities, etc.

>Damn it, I'm Laughing out loud from reading this. How could you NOT
>laugh at that one.....

The situation caught me off guard and I wasn't prepared. I also
assumed that she couldn't hear me laugh in the pay phone booth. I was
wrong.

At some point in the future, I ended up with an identical CDROM drive
with the caddy thing. By that time, they were totally obsolete and
nobody wanted them. I kept one on the shelf as a reminder to keep my
big mouth shut.

Incidentally, the original 1X CDROM drive cost me about $150 in
1985(?). The only data CD that we had available was something like
"World Statistics" which cost about $100. Times and prices have
changed somewhat.

>My first thought was that she was a blond, and this would make a good
>blond joke, but normally, blonds have a sense of humor and can laugh at
>things like this. So, I guess you just met a plain asshole with no
>brains....

Nope. Like most small towns, Santa Cruz CA is ruled by a few
families. She was the matriarch of one of those influential families.
To them, I was a mere "tradesman", who should not be tolerated, and
are considered disposable. I lost quite a bit of potential future
business from well paying clients that day. Oddly, I still do work
for 2 of the accountants who worked in that office, although both are
now retired.

Ralph Phillips

May 29, 2017, 3:40:41 PM5/29/17
I'll add that if you run IRFANVIEW as your image viewer, with the
plugins, you can open a PDF, rotate the pages, and save the PDF rotated.

I also use Foxit Reader; but that sucker's bloating up like a beached
whale in August in Florida ...

RwP

olds...@tubes.com

May 30, 2017, 12:44:34 PM5/30/17
On Mon, 29 May 2017 14:40:08 -0500, Ralph Phillips <ral...@philent.biz>
wrote:

>> Now I know why I like PDF-Xchange!
>>
>> (By the way, I'm using their "portable version"). That's the only one
>> that runs on both XP and Windows 98.
>>
>I'll add that if you run IRFANVIEW as your image viewer, with the
>plugins, you can open a PDF, rotate the pages, and save the PDF rotated.
>
>I also use Foxit Reader; but that sucker's bloating up like a beached
>whale in August in Florida ...
>
>RwP

IRFANVIEW can view PDF files???????
That's a new one on me.

I have IRFANVIEW installed, for viewing images, but I dont use it too
much. I prefer Acdsee. Mostly because IRFANVIEW always forces small
images to fit the screen as a default, and small images look like crap
when they expanded. So I have to repeatedly resize each and every image
to it's ACTUAL size. That gets real tiring. Acdsee shows the images at
their actual size, unless the image is larger than my screen, in which t
fits the image to the screen. I dont have to keep adjusting the viewed
image size, it just views automatically. Because of that, IRFANVIEW is
NOT my default viewer.

FOXIT Reader was once a decent PDF viewer. I used it for several years.
A few months ago, I put a larger hard drive in my laptop. Rather than
image my setup from the smaller drive, I decided to just reinstall XP
from scratch. I was traveling to a destination, and someone had given me
a PDF map. I pulled over at a wayside to view it, when I realized that I
did not have a PDF viewer installed.

So, I drive to the nearest restaurant that had WIFI, and googled "PDF
Viewer". The first one that popped up was Foxit. I was in a hurry and
did not have time to piss around. I just wanted to view that PDF map.
I installed Foxit reader, and what I saw was so bloated and filled with
complicated crap that I wanted no part of it. (And if I recall, it was
also full of advertising). I did manage to view my map though.
But a few days later, when I was not in a hurry, I again opened that
miserable bloated piece of shit, and looked at it. It took me less than
5 minutes to remove it from my computer, and install PDF-Xchange.
I thought Adobe's reader was bad, until I tried the latest Foxit. (It's
worse). I would not recommend Foxit to anyone.....

jurb...@gmail.com

May 30, 2017, 2:25:08 PM5/30/17
Here's a nice trick if you are still using XP. (also works in Vista)

Get into Windows Explorer and set it to show hidden/system files. Now go find the executable for each of your viewers or aything where you have a choice off different programs to open. Right click the executable and hit "Desktop Create Shortcut.

Drag those shortcuts into the \sendto directory, which will be under your username in Documents and Settings.

Now when you right click a file you can force it to any of the programs at will and not change the file association.

I tried it in Win7 and it gave me all kinds of hell with this access denied. Whose PC is this anyway ? I no longer have Win7.

Ralph Phillips

Jun 5, 2017, 1:52:57 AM6/5/17
On 5/30/2017 10:41 AM, olds...@tubes.com wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2017 14:40:08 -0500, Ralph Phillips <ral...@philent.biz>
> wrote:
>>>
>> I'll add that if you run IRFANVIEW as your image viewer, with the
>> plugins, you can open a PDF, rotate the pages, and save the PDF rotated.
>>
>> I also use Foxit Reader; but that sucker's bloating up like a beached
>> whale in August in Florida ...
>>
>> RwP
>
> IRFANVIEW can view PDF files???????
> That's a new one on me.
>
> I have IRFANVIEW installed, for viewing images, but I dont use it too
> much. I prefer Acdsee. Mostly because IRFANVIEW always forces small
> images to fit the screen as a default, and small images look like crap
> when they expanded. So I have to repeatedly resize each and every image
> to it's ACTUAL size. That gets real tiring. Acdsee shows the images at
> their actual size, unless the image is larger than my screen, in which t
> fits the image to the screen. I dont have to keep adjusting the viewed
> image size, it just views automatically. Because of that, IRFANVIEW is
> NOT my default viewer.

Two things - 1) It's in the plugins, which is a separate download, to
view PDF files. I use it quite routinely when W/Os I do for companies
as a "contingent work force provider" are required to be JPGs not my
standard PDFs. This will also allow you to open a PDF, save it as a
JPG, PNG, or what not; and open a TIF, JPG, PNG, whatnot and ... save it
as a PDF.

2) Ahem. View --> Display Options --> Fit only big images to display
window. Your complaint is solved. (What? Been like that since version
2.sumpin', and I'm currently using 4.4 .)

Not saying ACDSee is any worse, mind you! It might be fantstically
better. But Irfanview has been my go-to of choice since, well, the 90's
at least. At least partly due to how powerful it is with its filtering
(which is required less and less; my current GE point/n/click does a
good enough job I don't have to fix the images anymore.)

RwP