Have you ever needed to know if you're Edge/HSPA/HSPA+ and PSC?

Stijn De Jong

Mar 1, 2017, 1:33:16 PM3/1/17
I was hiking today and my phone switched from reporting EDGE and then HSPA
and then HSPA+ when I started wondering what practical significance to a
user these terms might be.

Have you ever needed to know this information?
Has it been useful to you?

HSPA http://i.cubeupload.com/QxYc3v.jpg
HSPA http://i.cubeupload.com/mTTuMA.jpg
HSPA+ http://i.cubeupload.com/RXx4QM.jpg

Other terms that pop up in those screenshots are:
http://i.cubeupload.com/QxYc3v.jpg
2.5G (this is the only one that was 2.5G)
RXLEV (none of the others had an RXLEV field)
SDR (what does the "R" mean for example?)

http://i.cubeupload.com/mTTuMA.jpg
http://i.cubeupload.com/RXx4QM.jpg
3.5G (the two hspa ones showed also as 3.5G)
PSC (the two hspa ones showed also a PSC)

The main question is whether you've ever had a need for this type of
information?

pf...@aol.com

Mar 1, 2017, 3:04:39 PM3/1/17
The troll is back. PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

Anssi Saari

Mar 3, 2017, 5:17:04 AM3/3/17
Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> writes:

> I was hiking today and my phone switched from reporting EDGE and then HSPA
> and then HSPA+ when I started wondering what practical significance to a
> user these terms might be.

> The main question is whether you've ever had a need for this type of
> information?

On a phone? Not really other than if I ever see EDGE then it means my
connection is so slow it's effectively the same as no connection. It's
nice to know. I guess I have so many apps using the network now that
they completely overwhelm EDGE. Although I remember a few years ago
streaming a podcast over EDGE was fine.

Other than EDGE/better it doesn't much matter. I know vaguely what
speeds I can expect from 3G, HSPA, HSPA+ and 4G but it doesn't make much
difference to me in practise on the phone.

Then again, my home internet connection is via a 4G router. It's usually
pretty easy to tell if I'm not on 4G but thankfully that hasn't happened
very often.

Stijn De Jong

Mar 3, 2017, 9:45:20 AM3/3/17
On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 12:16:58 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

> On a phone? Not really other than if I ever see EDGE then it means my
> connection is so slow it's effectively the same as no connection.

Thanks for saying that because most people must be like you and me where
the type of connection is nearly meaningless as long as it's connected.

When I see EDGE, I don't know what it means other than it's slow too.

> It's
> nice to know. I guess I have so many apps using the network now that
> they completely overwhelm EDGE. Although I remember a few years ago
> streaming a podcast over EDGE was fine.
>
> Other than EDGE/better it doesn't much matter.

That's kind of how I felt, in that I didn't even *know* if it was HSPA or
HSPA+ or UMTS or whatever else pops up.

> I know vaguely what
> speeds I can expect from 3G, HSPA, HSPA+ and 4G but it doesn't make much
> difference to me in practise on the phone.
>
> Then again, my home internet connection is via a 4G router. It's usually
> pretty easy to tell if I'm not on 4G but thankfully that hasn't happened
> very often.

Thanks for taking the time to update the thread as I assumed nobody
understood the question (you clearly understood it).