My wife picked up a TV

amdx

Apr 24, 2017, 2:15:52 PM4/24/17
My wife thinks I can fix anything.
Well I can't. She picked up this TV a few days ago, I finally plugged it
in. Looks like it fell over and broke. Here's a picture of the screen.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0i123un6opbtaq/P1010102.JPG?dl=0
What part broke?
Do these have the Fresnel lens over the screen.
I might salvage that.
What other parts can I salvage.

Mikek

---

olds...@tubes.com

Apr 24, 2017, 2:59:01 PM4/24/17
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:15:48 -0500, amdx <noj...@knology.net> wrote:

>My wife thinks I can fix anything.
>Well I can't. She picked up this TV a few days ago, I finally plugged it
>in. Looks like it fell over and broke. Here's a picture of the screen.
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0i123un6opbtaq/P1010102.JPG?dl=0
> What part broke?
>Do these have the Fresnel lens over the screen.
> I might salvage that.
>What other parts can I salvage.
>
> Mikek

If you live in my state, your wife would not be doing you any favors,
because we have to pay to dispose of tv sets, and it's not cheap.

Not sure what's inside that thing, but if there is a power transformer,
save that. Heat sinks, the line cord, possibly any power transistors if
they are screwed on. I suppose you could even unsolder resistors and
caps if you're real patient.

DOES IT HAVE A POWER TRANSFORMER? (I dont know?, since I never tore one
of them apart and wont work on them).

I actually look for old tube tv sets though. I save the power
transformers, output transformer, and all the tubes. The yoke goes in my
copper recycling box, to sell. I salvage some resistors, pots, and
things like terminal strips. The metal chassis can be sold for scrap
metal. (not worth much, but it's recycled). Because I live in the
country, I burn the plastic or wooden cabinet parts. The CRT is the hard
part to get rid of. I put it in a cardboard box, and smash it. Then that
goes in the trash (kind of hidden).

Either way, there is a lot more salvagable in the old tube sets for
someone (like myself) who works on tube stuff. I would not even consider
picking up something like you got.

Foxs Mercantile

Apr 24, 2017, 3:37:50 PM4/24/17
On 4/24/2017 12:56 PM, olds...@tubes.com wrote:
> Because I live in the country, I burn the plastic or
> wooden cabinet parts.

No, because you're an asshole.

> The CRT is the hard part to get rid of. I put it in
> a cardboard box, and smash it. Then that goes in the
> trash (kind of hidden).

See above.

The EPA was founded because of people like you.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

---
http://www.avg.com

amdx

Apr 24, 2017, 4:34:11 PM4/24/17
On 4/24/2017 12:56 PM, olds...@tubes.com wrote:
The last one she picked worked perfectly. I had to buy a $12 remote
control. We have been using it daily at our business with out any
problem for almost a year now.

dansabr...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2017, 5:09:26 PM4/24/17
The LCD/LED panel has broken. This is not worth an attempt to repair. The replacement panel will cost more than a replacement TV. Send it back or otherwise dispose of it.

Dan

olds...@tubes.com

Apr 24, 2017, 5:17:43 PM4/24/17
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 14:37:37 -0500, Foxs Mercantile <jda...@att.net>
wrote:

>On 4/24/2017 12:56 PM, olds...@tubes.com wrote:
>> Because I live in the country, I burn the plastic or
>> wooden cabinet parts.
>
>No, because you're an asshole.
>
>> The CRT is the hard part to get rid of. I put it in
>> a cardboard box, and smash it. Then that goes in the
>> trash (kind of hidden).
>
>See above.
>
>The EPA was founded because of people like you.

I hate to burst your bubble, but guess what. If you lived in the
country, you would also burn your garbage. Of course in your case, you'd
probably let it pile up and attract rats, because rats are probably the
only friends you have....

We also burn wood to heat our homes. I suppose you find that offensive
too. Then again, you strike me as nothing but a grouchy old a rude
asshole looking to find fault with others so you can pick fights on
newsgroups. I know your type. However I dont come to newsgroups to start
trouble, I come here to discuss the topic of the group in a friendly
manner. People like you are the reason people like me have kill filters.
And you just earned a place in mine....

One other thing, If I dont burn my trash, it will be burned at the local
landfill. They charge big money to haul away trash, sort out the metals,
and burn the rest, creating an ugly mess, covering acres and acres of
land, which will be there forever. I sort out my metals, recycle them,
and burn whatever burns, leaving nothing but a small pile of ashes,
which I bury every few years, and is never seen again.

But I'm sure an old grouch like you cant comprehend that. You live in a
big city where everything is done for you. You have no clue where the
trash goes once it's removed from your property and have no clue where
your food comes from either.

Goodbye!

tom

Apr 24, 2017, 5:24:37 PM4/24/17

<dansabr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Or sell the boards on ebay. List the model and part number for each board.
You may make enough to buy a new TV.

Foxs Mercantile

Apr 24, 2017, 6:00:33 PM4/24/17
On 4/24/2017 3:15 PM, olds...@tubes.com wrote:

> But I'm sure an old grouch like you cant comprehend that. You
> live in a big city where everything is done for you. You have
> no clue where the trash goes once it's removed from your
> property and have no clue where your food comes from either.

You're an amazingly ignorant fuck.

et...@whidbey.com

Apr 24, 2017, 7:17:58 PM4/24/17
Hey Old School,
Where I live is semi rural and on an island. Because I'm on an island
trash is expensive to get rid of. So some people burn it because they
can get away with it because of the low population density. However, I
don't burn anything except wood and bushes. I know the old way was to
burn everything yourself and then bury the ashes. But I would strongly
encourage you to not burn plastics. Especially any of the chlorinated
plastics, which are quite common. When the plastics are burned with
paper or wood dioxins are formed. Dioxins are bad stuff and even a
very small exposure can have really bad health affects for certain
animals. Humans being one of them. And I would also urge you to not
break up and toss TV tubes. They are loaded with lead in the glass,
several pounds. This lead will leach out into water that is even
slightly acid. I know, it's not the end of the world if you throw it
away and if you burn plastic. but it does add to the crap we put in
our environment and we are seeing the effects of all now. And if your
dump is burning stuff in the open air it is almost certainly not lined
to prevent runoff. By the way, where do you live that they still burn
garbage in the open air? I can't think of anyplace anymore that does
this in the USA. I'm also a little surprised that you can't recycle
electronic waste for free. Even here on an island virtually all
electronic waste can be disposed of for free. And they do take CRTs.
No charge.
Thanks,
Eric

olds...@tubes.com

Apr 24, 2017, 7:55:27 PM4/24/17
We can blame the government for a lot of these problems. Here is why.
There was a private company that used to take in used electronics,
particularly computers. The tested everything that came in, and would
fix stuff that was easily repairable. They had a store, where anyone
could buy an entire computer system for $20 to $50, they wiped and sold
all the hardrrives that worked, sold mice, keyboards, computer boards,
RAM, power supplies, modems, and you name it. They sold old vintage
radios and even some old test equipment and sometimes some electric
motors and other stuff like that.

The idiot state government shut them down, so they could make a lot of
money by charging everyone $20 or more (per piece) to get rid of
electronic waste. A TV costs $20. A computer is (I think) the same, and
if that computer includes a monitor and printer, that's 3 items, or $60.

All the stuff that was being recycled and re-sold in that store is now
going to the landfill. What a damn waste. I used to love going to that
store, and shopping for cheap electronic stuff. And if something failed
within 2 weeks it could be returned and exchanged for something similar.

Heck, when they were forced to shut down, I bought the stuff by the box.
Like a whole box of harddrives for $20, and a shoe box size of RAM for
$10, and so on. I still have 20lbs or so of all the small screws and
nuts they had collected from computers. That's been real handy to have.

What we have now, are tv sets. computers and whatever else being tossed
in the ditches along rural roads, because people dont want to pay the
disposal fee. The same is true for tires.

It's a dirty shame. That company was not only profitable, fun to shop
at, but it employed 20 or 30 disabled people, who took that stuff apart,
tested the parts, and ran the store. It's been about 10 years since the
damn state ruined that business and got greedy.

I dont know which plastics contain chlorinated materials, but I can
guess PVC is one of them (from the name).

We do not have any garbage pickup here, but for a huge price, I could
hire a private company. So, I have little choice but to burn paper and
plastics. But I do recycle all metals. On the rare occasion I have to
dispose of a CRT, I smash it in a box, and toss it in a dumpster at some
local business. I really do not know what else I can do.

One thing I do have to say, is that it's time they stop manufacturing
harmful plastics. Yea, I know PVC is useful for plumbing, but what about
all the packaging. Everything we buy is packed in plastic waste. I am
also the first person to complain when I go to a store, but one item and
the idiot clerk puts it into a plastic bag. One local store, the
employees are required to ask "Do you want a bag?". Unless I really need
a bag, I always say "NO". Then some of the idiot clerks put my stuff in
a bag right after I said "NO". That's when I tend to get a little rude
and say "I just told you NO BAG, remove it from the bag"....

In my opinion, all the EPA is good for, is to take money away from
private people, in the name of environment protection. If they were
doing any good, they would attack the producers of all the harmful
packaging and work to find safe alternatives.

pf...@aol.com

Apr 25, 2017, 8:29:40 AM4/25/17
This sort of back-and-forth it typically between those who *do* remember when rivers ran orange, caught on fire, or actually gelled, when entire hillsides downwind from smelters were dead - and those who do not.

I have lived on/around three major rivers (Hudson, Susquahanna & Delaware) and our summer house is on a large creek. All three of the majors were open sewers not so very long ago, all three of them now are reasonably clean and produce edible fish. Our summer house creek narrowly (very narrowly) avoided mine-runoff pollution (a total 'killer') in the mid 1990s. All due, specifically, to the efforts of the EPA, and its state brethren. The present incumbent in the White House just lifted the runoff regulations that saved our creek - happily the mining that would have caused it is now gone and the mine is a tourist attraction (and making more money by this than as a mine). But, those in West Virginia may not realize the same outcome.

It really does not take much. A single incident of run-off will destroy a living stream for 50 or more years.

Burning trash: Not a good idea. Sure, cardboard for kindling, perhaps. But food trash - not in bear country. Plastics - the amount of poison spread out in the ash and smoke is stunning - but your neighbor is the one stunned, as I am sure you burn on the edge of your property so the smoke goes elsewhere.

And so on and so forth.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

rickman

Apr 28, 2017, 1:44:35 PM4/28/17
On 4/24/2017 6:00 PM, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
> On 4/24/2017 3:15 PM, olds...@tubes.com wrote:
>
>> But I'm sure an old grouch like you cant comprehend that. You
>> live in a big city where everything is done for you. You have
>> no clue where the trash goes once it's removed from your
>> property and have no clue where your food comes from either.
>
> You're an amazingly ignorant fuck.

Rather than just berate him you could try explaining that burning
plastic and wood and especially wood with various paints and varnishes
dumps incomplete combustion products into the air. Large scale burning
of waste is done at high temps that completely burns to CO2 and H2O so
there is much fewer toxins in the air and the ash. But heavy metals and
other toxic compounds remain in the ash. With industrial processes the
ash is treated like what it is, toxic waste.

--

Rick C

rickman

Apr 28, 2017, 1:55:08 PM4/28/17
What makes you think the "government" shut them down? More likely they
just weren't viable and went out of business.

> so they could make a lot of
> money by charging everyone $20 or more (per piece) to get rid of
> electronic waste. A TV costs $20. A computer is (I think) the same, and
> if that computer includes a monitor and printer, that's 3 items, or $60.

Sounds like a good reason to tear computers and such to pieces and
dispose of the components. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to disassemble a
computer to circuit boards and small boxes and sheet metal. If there is
no law against tossing pieces, then you are good to go. With RoHS there
is very, very little harmful substances in electronics now.

> All the stuff that was being recycled and re-sold in that store is now
> going to the landfill. What a damn waste. I used to love going to that
> store, and shopping for cheap electronic stuff. And if something failed
> within 2 weeks it could be returned and exchanged for something similar.

If the business model was viable you would see them all over the
country. You don't so...

> Heck, when they were forced to shut down, I bought the stuff by the box.
> Like a whole box of harddrives for $20, and a shoe box size of RAM for
> $10, and so on. I still have 20lbs or so of all the small screws and
> nuts they had collected from computers. That's been real handy to have.
>
> What we have now, are tv sets. computers and whatever else being tossed
> in the ditches along rural roads, because people dont want to pay the
> disposal fee. The same is true for tires.
>
> It's a dirty shame. That company was not only profitable, fun to shop
> at, but it employed 20 or 30 disabled people, who took that stuff apart,
> tested the parts, and ran the store. It's been about 10 years since the
> damn state ruined that business and got greedy.

I really would like to know how you can say the state "ruined" that
business.

> I dont know which plastics contain chlorinated materials, but I can
> guess PVC is one of them (from the name).
>
> We do not have any garbage pickup here, but for a huge price, I could
> hire a private company. So, I have little choice but to burn paper and
> plastics. But I do recycle all metals. On the rare occasion I have to
> dispose of a CRT, I smash it in a box, and toss it in a dumpster at some
> local business. I really do not know what else I can do.

Lol! You don't want to pay to dispose of your trash, so you illegally
toss it in someone else's dumpster?

> One thing I do have to say, is that it's time they stop manufacturing
> harmful plastics. Yea, I know PVC is useful for plumbing, but what about
> all the packaging. Everything we buy is packed in plastic waste. I am
> also the first person to complain when I go to a store, but one item and
> the idiot clerk puts it into a plastic bag. One local store, the
> employees are required to ask "Do you want a bag?". Unless I really need
> a bag, I always say "NO". Then some of the idiot clerks put my stuff in
> a bag right after I said "NO". That's when I tend to get a little rude
> and say "I just told you NO BAG, remove it from the bag"....

It is *very* easy to control manufacturers. Don't buy their stuff. If
we don't buy it they will stop making it. If you don't buy it you don't
have to worry with the waste.

> In my opinion, all the EPA is good for, is to take money away from
> private people, in the name of environment protection. If they were
> doing any good, they would attack the producers of all the harmful
> packaging and work to find safe alternatives.

Really? This makes sense to you?

--

Rick C

pf...@aol.com

Apr 28, 2017, 2:12:05 PM4/28/17
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 1:44:35 PM UTC-4, rickman wrote:

> Rather than just berate him you could try explaining that burning
> plastic and wood and especially wood with various paints and varnishes
> dumps incomplete combustion products into the air. Large scale burning
> of waste is done at high temps that completely burns to CO2 and H2O so
> there is much fewer toxins in the air and the ash. But heavy metals and
> other toxic compounds remain in the ash. With industrial processes the
> ash is treated like what it is, toxic waste.

Even the Catholic Church - not known for open policies and easy acceptance of alternate truths has a term for this sort of situation:

Invincible Ignorance.

Old School is a self-admitted thief & polluter, generally a fool whose roots are firmly set in the 50s, believes in the concept of "the good old days" (they never were) and is pretty much a lost cause. Not much short of an intellectual cattle-prod will get through his shell, and that only by repeated and assiduous application.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H.L. Mencken

Foxs Mercantile

Apr 28, 2017, 2:35:05 PM4/28/17

And this is why I said:
"You're an amazingly ignorant fuck."

Now you know.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com

---
http://www.avg.com

amdx

May 24, 2017, 4:31:36 PM5/24/17
Hey, I listed three PCB's from the TV on Ebay on Sunday, I got offers
on two of them today. I ask $65 for each pcb, I got a $50 offer on one
and a $45 offer on the other. I accepted both rather than sending away a
buyer. Fedex has them now.

Mikek

ohg...@gmail.com

May 24, 2017, 5:20:30 PM5/24/17
That's the good news... here's the bad:

A lot of people do their own diagnosing or follow someone's (alleged) success on youtube and always assume their TV has the same issue. What happens is they buy the wrong board, or the TV doesn't need a board at all if the display itself is bad or has an open LED in the display or a wiring issue inside.

Recent Samsungs are known for LED failures. It would not surprise me if you don't get a return request on one or both of those boards. My dad always told me not to count my chickens before they're hatched.

Good luck.

Michael Black

May 25, 2017, 9:59:06 AM5/25/17
That's today's internet. "Skill sharing" is really someone who knows what
he's doing writing it down for others (or making a video) and everyone
else is fine, so long as things stay on the same path. But if they fall
off, they are lost, because they don't know how to troubleshoot, just swap
boards.

Michael

amdx

May 25, 2017, 8:10:01 PM5/25/17
This was an LCD TV for what that's worth. One board was bought by a TV
shop, the other by an individual.
And count my chickens, I already gave the money away.
Saw this young women on Youtube and was inspired so much I made a donation.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhf_XarJmE

She has about 40 videos of her travels.

If you find her story inspiring send her some cash.

Mikek

ohg...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 7:48:40 AM5/26/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:10:01 PM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
> On 5/24/2017 4:20 PM, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Hey, I listed three PCB's from the TV on Ebay on Sunday, I got offers
> >> on two of them today. I ask $65 for each pcb, I got a $50 offer on one
> >> and a $45 offer on the other. I accepted both rather than sending away a
> >> buyer. Fedex has them now.
> >>
> >> Mikek
> >

> > That's the good news... here's the bad:
> >
> > A lot of people do their own diagnosing or follow someone's (alleged) success on youtube and always assume their TV has the same issue. What happens is they buy the wrong board, or the TV doesn't need a board at all if the display itself is bad or has an open LED in the display or a wiring issue inside.
> >
> > Recent Samsungs are known for LED failures. It would not surprise me if you don't get a return request on one or both of those boards. My dad always told me not to count my chickens before they're hatched.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> This was an LCD TV for what that's worth. One board was bought by a TV
> shop, the other by an individual.

Selling to TV shops is the best way to sell boards, but even they sometimes make a guess. Paypal is notorious at siding with the buyer on just a complaint, reasonable or otherwise.

Yes, your TV was an LCD, but other than the extraordinarily rare OLED, most TVs are LCD. The first LCD TVs were simply called LCD as opposed to the other flat screen tech at the time: plasma.

These TVs used CCFL tubes for back light illumination as LCDs are shutters and don't generate any light (unlike plasma and CRT).

Later, when manufacturers found a cheaper way to build back lights, they started using LED arrays to provide the back light for the LCD panel. These TVs are generally called LED, but they are still LCD TVs and use the same screen.

In the service trade, we refer to earlier LCDs as CCFLs and later ones as LED TVs.

The point of this is although you didn't post a model number, that model looks like an LED LCD, not a CCFL LCD. If it is an LED back lit TV, LED failure is common and when an LED opens, there are various symptoms, most of which duplicate bad power supply or bad main boards.

thekma...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 8:34:45 AM5/26/17
Foxs Mercantile wrote: "You're an amazingly ignorant fuck. "

Uuuuhm.. Have we learned
where name-calling got
Hillary Clinton last year?
That phrase "basketful of
deplorables" ring any bells?

amdx

May 26, 2017, 9:03:07 AM5/26/17
I think the TV shop just made a low ball offer, if it is accepted he
can stock it.

> Yes, your TV was an LCD, but other than the extraordinarily rare OLED, most TVs are LCD.

Just correcting the LED label from the previous post.

The first LCD TVs were simply called LCD as opposed to the other flat
screen tech at the time: plasma.

> These TVs used CCFL tubes for back light illumination as LCDs are shutters and don't generate any light (unlike plasma and CRT).
>
> Later, when manufacturers found a cheaper way to build back lights, they started using LED arrays to provide the back light for the LCD panel. These TVs are generally called LED, but they are still LCD TVs and use the same screen.
>
> In the service trade, we refer to earlier LCDs as CCFLs and later ones as LED TVs.
>
> The point of this is although you didn't post a model number, that model looks like an LED LCD, not a CCFL LCD.

It had 14 CCFL tubes running across the back panel of the TV.
I also have the inverter PCB for sale, but at the end of a month I
will probably dispose of it.

> If it is an LED back lit TV, LED failure is common and when an LED opens, there are various symptoms, most of which duplicate bad power supply or bad main boards.
No backlight LEDs to fail.
Mikek

thekma...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 9:17:57 AM5/26/17
amdx:

A BIG contributor to backlight
failure is the setting for it! Most
people do not go into the menus
for these flat panels, and just
watch it in default settings -
typically 'Vivid' or Dynamic
mode.

I calibrated my LED set last
year, starting with the backlight
lowered to halfway. Final
setting was 8/20, using Samsung's
scale. It is still plenty bright for
viewing where the TV is in my
house, looks awesome at night,
and neither myself nor anyone
else watching it has complained
of eye fatigue.

Moral of the story: Unless the TV
is intended for use outdoors on
sunny days, or on the sun deck of
a cruise ship(!), there is no reason
whatsoever to leave that backlight
at its maximum setting. This is
akin to leaving the Contrast
setting on an old tube TV cranked
up all the way. Which is why so
many of those hit the dump
prematurely.

thekma...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 9:20:15 AM5/26/17

bitrex

May 26, 2017, 12:49:15 PM5/26/17
Nobody who was offended by the statement would've voted for her in a
million years anyway, and she was too kind, regardless.

The whole world is tired of bending over backwards to appease glomping
redneck Americans who've done nothing but insult, bully, and threaten
anyone who isn't them for decades.

tabb...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 5:51:48 PM5/26/17
On Friday, 26 May 2017 01:10:01 UTC+1, amdx wrote:

> And count my chickens, I already gave the money away.
> Saw this young women on Youtube and was inspired so much I made a donation.
>
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhf_XarJmE
>
> She has about 40 videos of her travels.
>
> If you find her story inspiring send her some cash.
>
> Mikek

why??

NT

ohg...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 6:36:25 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:17:57 AM UTC-4, thekma...@gmail.com wrote:
> amdx:

> Moral of the story: Unless the TV
> is intended for use outdoors on
> sunny days, or on the sun deck of
> a cruise ship(!), there is no reason
> whatsoever to leave that backlight
> at its maximum setting. This is
> akin to leaving the Contrast
> setting on an old tube TV cranked
> up all the way. Which is why so
> many of those hit the dump
> prematurely.

The moral is correct will be lost on just about everyone. The TV's default is 100% back light right out of the box and will revert back to 100% if you sneeze loudly anywhere near them. When I first started doing LED array repairs I'd demo the proper way to adjust back light, show them where I set it and why, and I'd still see some come back a year later with LED failures, and the back light setting defaulted to 100% once again. Try this: put your back light to 50% in custom, then move to vivid, sports, theater etc. Return to custom and you'll find all your settings where you left them, *except* the back light which is now magically defaulted to 100%. It seems the engineers think people like the light pollution that bleeds through dark scenes and destroys the black level..

It's even worse if the customer chooses "demo" instead of "home" when they first perform the out-of-box procedure. The "demo" mode cranks the back light another 20% over the already too high setting. If someone buys a demo off the wall at Walmart, the TV has maybe weeks or months left to live.

So, every LED repair I do involves modifying the drive to the array, usually I shoot for 40% reduction in wattage. Most mods involve changing the source resistors on the drive mosfets to raise the feedback dc to the controller IC. Some top of the spectrum brilliance is lost but the black levels improve dramatically. It's a trade off that also virtually guarantees no returns to me.

Only one person came back and questioned the brightness of the TV (a Samsung)that I repaired. I explained what I did and why, and expressed surprise that he picked up on the picture and he was the first to do so. He told me he had two of the exact same model in adjoining rooms, and saw the A-B every day. I told him I could certainly undo the mod and explained the trade off in life, and he said he'd keep it that way.

jurb...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 7:51:52 PM5/26/17
>"The whole world is tired of bending over backwards to appease glomping
redneck Americans who've done nothing but insult, bully, and threaten
anyone who isn't them for decades. "

Where were the cry ins when Obama got elected ?

Where were the blocked highways when Obama got elected ?

Who was kidnapped and forced to drink toilet water when Obama got elected ?

Who disrupted public speaking engagements when Obama got elected ?

Don't try to sell that shit to a grown Man. Liberals might buy it. You know why most conservatives are older ? Because they learn in life that liberalism does not work.

thekma...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 7:56:54 PM5/26/17
ohg...@gmail.com wrote: "Try this: put your back light to 50% in custom, then move to vivid, sports, theater etc. Return to custom and you'll
find all your settings where you left them, *except* the back light which is now magically defaulted to 100%"

ERRRR! Not on my 2015 Samsung
smart LED! When I cycle through
all those modes back to custom,
or Movie as I use(least background
processing of picture), the backlight
is right where I left it.

Guess it depends on year, model,
and even size of Samsung.

So that customer in your last example
agreed not to go back to torch mode?
Good for him! There is hope afterall.

Foxs Mercantile

May 26, 2017, 8:08:34 PM5/26/17
On 5/26/2017 6:51 PM, jurb...@gmail.com wrote:

[ The usual stupid shit we've come to expect from him. ]

The Oath Keepers who were convinced a constitutional law
professor didn't know anything about the constitution
and were ready to mutiny to defend their view of said
constitution.

Mitch McConnell "We are going to do everything in our
power to make him a one term President."

Eight years of having to listen to the entire right
refer to the President of the United States as "That
nigger in the White House."

The whole "Birther" thing.

Alex Jones. Rush Limbaugh. Sean Hannity. Bill O'Reilly.
'Nuff said.

Fuck you, ya ignorant redneck snowflake.

bitrex

May 26, 2017, 8:18:08 PM5/26/17
On 05/26/2017 07:51 PM, jurb...@gmail.com wrote:
>> "The whole world is tired of bending over backwards to appease glomping
> redneck Americans who've done nothing but insult, bully, and threaten
> anyone who isn't them for decades. "
>
> Where were the cry ins when Obama got elected ?
>
> Where were the blocked highways when Obama got elected ?
>
> Who was kidnapped and forced to drink toilet water when Obama got elected ?
>
> Who disrupted public speaking engagements when Obama got elected ?

I think most conservatives looked at Obama, looked at Romney, shrugged,
and figured they'd be better off anyway.

Then called him a Kenyan Muslim for 8 years.

The reason people were srs upset over Trump in a way that was different
than Obama is Trump made it a point of his campaign that his presidency
would be dedicated to exacting mass revenge on the most vulnerable
people in society on behalf of the (imagined) slights his base has
"suffered" at their hands.

Should they not have taken him seriously? When someone says directly "I
am going to fuck you" I guess they should just relax and see how things go.

I'm sure conservatives thought Obama was going to fuck them, too.
Problem is that the definition conservatives have of being "fucked" is
if the government doesn't kiss their ass and do exactly what they want
100% of the time, particularly on matters of religion, taxes, and not
expelling every non-white person in the country.

> Don't try to sell that shit to a grown Man. Liberals might buy it. You know why most conservatives are older ? Because they learn in life that liberalism does not work.

I think it comes mostly from feeling bitter about girls not liking them
very much when they were younger.

bitrex

May 26, 2017, 8:19:07 PM5/26/17
On 05/26/2017 08:08 PM, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
> On 5/26/2017 6:51 PM, jurb...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> [ The usual stupid shit we've come to expect from him. ]
>
> The Oath Keepers who were convinced a constitutional law
> professor didn't know anything about the constitution
> and were ready to mutiny to defend their view of said
> constitution.
>
> Mitch McConnell "We are going to do everything in our
> power to make him a one term President."
>
> Eight years of having to listen to the entire right
> refer to the President of the United States as "That
> nigger in the White House."
>
> The whole "Birther" thing.
>
> Alex Jones. Rush Limbaugh. Sean Hannity. Bill O'Reilly.
> 'Nuff said.
>
> Fuck you, ya ignorant redneck snowflake.

The conservative definition of being "oppressed" is "When I don't get
exactly what I want 100% of the time."

amdx

May 26, 2017, 8:24:03 PM5/26/17
Because you found her story inspiring.
Mikek

tabb...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 10:24:14 AM5/27/17
On Saturday, 27 May 2017 01:24:03 UTC+1, amdx wrote:
> On 5/26/2017 4:51 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
> > On Friday, 26 May 2017 01:10:01 UTC+1, amdx wrote:

> >> And count my chickens, I already gave the money away.
> >> Saw this young women on Youtube and was inspired so much I made a donation.

> >> She has about 40 videos of her travels.
> >>
> >> If you find her story inspiring send her some cash.
> >>
> >> Mikek
> >
> > why??

> Because you found her story inspiring.
> Mikek

I didn't especially. It's good she's thinking, but that's all. It certainly doesn't warrant any generosity. And I'm sure she has quite enough of her own. When I hand money out it's where it's going to do something truly useful.

NT

ohg...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 12:32:05 PM5/27/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 7:56:54 PM UTC-4, thekma...@gmail.com wrote:

> So that customer in your last example
> agreed not to go back to torch mode?
> Good for him! There is hope afterall.

True story: I was sitting at a restaurant with a friend who has a Sony LCD 50" that I "calibrated" (eyeballed) for him. There were several TVs running and the one near us had a baseball game on. The TV was a Sharp Aquos 60" that had a picture so cartoonishly garish that it was truly offensive to the eye. Not only were the LEDs (apparently) cranked all the way, it also must have had every "enhancement" in the picture menu checked off.

So my friend, impressed by what he was watching on the Sharp(!), asked if I could get his Sony to look like this Sharp. I told him in my best deadpan that even if I screwed with every adjustment, I couldn't possibly get the Sony to look that bad.

His look of complete confusion led me to ask him if he ever saw grass that color (a bright fluorescent green). I asked him if he ever saw a black shirt have a blue underglow to it. I explained that his Sony was adjusted to give as close a representation as a view through a window, not change the content. He finally saw what I was talking about. I didn't bother explaining the artificial black level "enhancements" this TV had, as that's best done by an A-B demo.

But go to any store that has a hundred TVs running. The one cranked to stupidity is the one most people will think has the best picture. Kind of like the old "sizzle and boom" EQ settings people like to adjust their stereos for.

thekma...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 6:38:24 PM5/27/17
ohg.. wrote: "But go to any store that has a hundred TVs running. The one cranked to stupidity is the one most people will think has
the best picture. Kind of like the old "sizzle and boom" EQ settings people like to adjust their stereos for. "

LOL!

I wonder if this is the case in stores in
countries outside the U.S. I know it
was in one electronic emporium in
the Philippines. I eyeballed a 4K OLED
to sane levels as you did, but within
5 minutes of turning my back the sales
staff had the set back in torch mode!

No WONDER consumers have no
concept of accuracy when it comes
to a TV picture, and manufacturers
are largely to blame.

amdx

Jun 20, 2017, 12:26:44 PM6/20/17
On 4/24/2017 4:24 PM, tom wrote:
> <dansabr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The LCD/LED panel has broken. This is not worth an attempt to repair.
>> The replacement panel will cost more than a replacement TV. Send it back
>> or otherwise dispose of it.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Or sell the boards on ebay. List the model and part number for each board.
> You may make enough to buy a new TV.

Hey, thanks for that, I sold the 3 PCBs I removed. After costs I
netted $100.
Mikek

tom

Jun 20, 2017, 2:27:33 PM6/20/17

"amdx" <noj...@knology.net> wrote in message
And you helped out three other people get their TVs working. Good karma
there.

amdx

Jul 6, 2017, 10:53:10 AM7/6/17
On 5/24/2017 4:20 PM, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
After I sold the first two pcb's I decided to list the third pcb.
It sold, but, it happened, the third pcb I sold is being returned.
Customer (a TV repair shop) says 'did not fix backlight problem'
The board worked when I removed it. I suspect poor trouble shooting or
I'm getting back a bad pcb. I did mark my pcb with my intials, so I'll
know if I get the same pcb back.
I posted a picture of my markings to ABSE and to my dropbox account,
this morning I also made a Ebay listing showing the picture of my
markings on the pcb. I used a very high price so no one will bid.
I hope I get back a different pcb. Today is the last day the seller
is supposed to ship it. No notice of shipping, I provided notice to
return on 6-28-17, he has had 6 business days to return.
Mikek

John-Del

Jul 7, 2017, 9:01:58 AM7/7/17
A lot of TV "repair" facilities are guys we call "trunk monkeys"; repair shops operated out of the back of a car. These guys have no training and no state license, but just swap boards around hoping to run into a repair.

Yes, it was indeed poor troubleshooting on the buyer's end and now it's aggravation for you. Samsung LED failures are epidemic, and the repair shop should have known this. Most shops built their own LED testing tools years ago, but now anyone can buy a tester for LED strips that will light even give a voltage readout of the run voltage of any given strip at the tester's preset current limit, and do so without disassembling the display.

It's possible that the buyer made the return request in the hopes you would credit back the money and tell them to keep the board. It wouldn't surprise me if you don't hear from them again.

Too bad you also didn't remove the LED strips from the carcass before scrapping it. These bring good money and are in high demand.

amdx

Jul 7, 2017, 1:26:48 PM7/7/17
This was a CFL unit, I didn't want to mess with those.
Ebay requested the purchaser to return the item by 7-06-17, it didn't
happen. You may be right, in saying he wanted me to credit back the
money and tell them to keep the board. I didn't :-)
I think it is common for shops to replace pcb's on flat screens.
I worked at a electronics shop 25+ yrs ago repairing VCRs. It was all
component level on the VCR's but I did note the TV tech replaced a lot
of boards. I sometimes helped him on tough dogs, and he was always
impressed that I'd fix a TV at component level, he had spent hours on,
that may tell you something about that TV tech.

John-Del

Jul 7, 2017, 4:18:45 PM7/7/17
Ah.. I used to save CCFL tubes and I still have an assortment. Too much trouble to ship safely although many try.

In any case, the TV shop still screwed up. CCFL tubes are easier to check than LEDs. Put a scope probe *in proximity* to the secondary of each CCFL output transformer and watch the waveform. It's important to put the probe in the exact same spot for each as the waveform's amplitude changes significantly with a small physical placement of the probe. A waveform that is much higher and distorted than the rest indicate an open or very lazy tube, or a corroded connection on the tube cap. In any case, playing musical chairs with the inverter transformers to see if the abnormal waveform stays with the suspected tube or follows the transformer quickly identifies this as either a tube problem or inverter problem.

> I think it is common for shops to replace pcb's on flat screens.
> I worked at a electronics shop 25+ yrs ago repairing VCRs. It was all
> component level on the VCR's but I did note the TV tech replaced a lot
> of boards.

If you want to make money and do it quickly, you can't be changing boards unless they're particularly cheap. Component level is all we ever did but the problem these days is that even companies like Samsung are not providing full schematics. This means I spend time looking at datasheets and using the "representative" circuit as a guideline for doing component level repair. Fortunately, parts that manufacturers don't sell us can usually be sourced from China. I never order one, I always order 10.

amdx

Jul 8, 2017, 3:39:04 PM7/8/17
Arrgh! I wrote a long response and then I got a white screen of, "I
lost it all."
The purchaser did put the pcb in the mail one day after Ebay's
suggested mail by date. Now I just wait to see if it is the same pcb I
sent him. I don't know if it will help me but I have posted the picture
of my marking on the pcb to several sites, even maid a faux ebay listing
(showing the markings on my pcb) with a very high price so no one will
buy it.
I worked at at electronics repair center in the 80's and early 90's, I
did all the VCR repair, which was all component level repair. It was a
great place to work, the owner was an authorized service center for over
80 companies, which meant we had service manuals for most of them. I
performed service on over 11,000 VCR's in the 10 years I was there.
It's common to have the same problem, so after you have repaired a
few, you know what it needs by the customers description.
When VCR prices got near $250 to $200, people started making the
decision to buy a new one rather than repair. I had thoughts about DVD
repair, but glad I didn't start that because the prices came down quick
on those. I got out of repair and moved to Florida. My timing was pretty
good, I told one of the other tech's I was leaving and he might want to
take over my repairs, (I made the most money at the shop), but by the
next year when I visited he said he was only coming in 3 days a week,
and had another job.

amdx

Jul 11, 2017, 1:12:53 PM7/11/17
I got my original PCB back. My only hope is a plea for fairness and
honesty I sent to the buyer. I sent pointing out I sent a working pcb
and he had probably found out by now the inverter pcb was not the
problem with his customers TV, and I didn't think it was fair for him to
use me as source of troubleshooting parts. I ask him to pay the shipping
cost, I'm waiting for a response.
I know fat chance, but I would comply with that request, if I found I
was in error about the troubleshooting.
Mikek

pf...@aol.com

Jul 11, 2017, 1:57:55 PM7/11/17
I find that "All sales final" is an excellent remedy against frivolous purchases. But, then, I have not sold anything on eBay for some years now. What with Kutztown and specialized groups, that need has been greatly reduced.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

John-Del

Jul 12, 2017, 7:50:44 AM7/12/17
There are ebay vendors who sell parts with a no return policy, but I understand that there's still warranty protection through ebay/paypal if the part is wrong or defective. Supposedly, the ebay seller fees are higher if you sell a part with no return, but like you, I haven't sold anything on ebay for years.

amdx

Jul 12, 2017, 4:11:01 PM7/12/17
So far the returner has not responded to my email about making me whole.
Mikek

John-Del

Jul 13, 2017, 7:28:45 AM7/13/17
You of course are correct, but I don't think the option is yours. Ebay will protect the buyer no matter how wrong they are.

TV "shop" guessed wrong (didn't do the proper diagnostics) and expects you to pay for the shipping. If you sell any other parts I suppose the best option is to sell with a no-return policy and pay a bit more in carry fees.

amdx

Jul 13, 2017, 7:13:26 PM7/13/17
It gets worse :-) I used free shipping, so I paid shipping both
directions!
Live and learn, although that TV was a one time thing.
And just to pile on, I donated the proceeds of the first two PCB sales
to this young lady on a life adventure, living in a van and traveling.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhf_XarJmE&t=65s
Click her name to go to the page showing all her videos.

Mikek

tabb...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2017, 11:28:22 PM7/13/17
No-one sent me money on my time-out trip. Maybe I should have worn whatever she's wearing?

NT :)

amdx

Jul 14, 2017, 8:10:35 AM7/14/17
I watch for the story not the pictures!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mikek

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 9, 2017, 3:51:07 AM8/9/17
bitrex wrote:
> On 05/26/2017 08:34 AM, thekma...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Foxs Mercantile wrote: "You're an amazingly ignorant fuck. "
>>

>> Uuuuhm.. Have we learned
>> where name-calling got
>> Hillary Clinton last year?
>> That phrase "basketful of
>> deplorables" ring any bells?
>>

> Nobody who was offended by the statement would've voted for her in a
> million years anyway, and she was too kind, regardless.
>
> The whole world is tired of bending over backwards to appease glomping
> redneck Americans who've done nothing but insult, bully, and threaten
> anyone who isn't them for decades.

All of the rednecks around here are Democrats, and many are on welfare.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.