magnifier

captainvi...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2016, 10:51:18 PM3/24/16
I need to purchase a magnifier so that I'll be able to do things like replace eproms and other small SMT's. I'm not looking to do LSI's with 150 pins Etc. Just mostly smaller stuff. For instance I currently have a board that needs an 8 pin Eprom replaced. I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't make the image large enough. I was wondering what people are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

Ralph Mowery

Mar 24, 2016, 11:11:54 PM3/24/16

<captainvi...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Sometimes a head band magnifier. They are only good for about 2x with any
distance from the lense to the work. For just under $ 200 a stereo
microscope of about 10X like this one on ebay . It is good for 10 and 20 x
but the 20 x is almost too small of a field of view. It does have about 9
inch distance from the lense to the work.

Are you suing a hot air station to do the work and the paste type solder ?

400429192095

Jon Elson

Mar 24, 2016, 11:29:13 PM3/24/16
I managed to get a really good Olympus stereo microscope through an eBay
seller. (i asked questions about an item he listed on eBay, and ended up
purchasing a different unit from him.) I was able to make my own mount for
it, and that made it a lot cheaper, as most people want the mount with the
scope. I now use a large lathe chuck as the base, and it holds a block with
a section of MacPherson strut as the arm. What you want is a long working
distance, so you can get lights, your hands and a soldering iron all under
the scope at the same time. This is what makes these special. I'd say you
want a minimum of 2" working distance for soldering.

There are a fair amount of these types of microscopes floating around, with
a little luck you can get a good deal.

Jon

Look165

Mar 25, 2016, 6:12:18 AM3/25/16
Got the same problem.

The Linear Tools 59-650-747 is ideal (about 25$) :

Multi-coated Acrylic Lenses offer a choice of 4 magnification powers via
combination of fixed , flip-up and monocle lenses: 1.5, 3.0, 9.0 and 10.5
Adjustable light incorporated.

John-Del

Mar 25, 2016, 7:35:00 AM3/25/16
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 6:12:18 AM UTC-4, Look165 wrote:
> Got the same problem.
>
> The Linear Tools 59-650-747 is ideal (about 25$) :
>
> Multi-coated Acrylic Lenses offer a choice of 4 magnification powers via
> combination of fixed , flip-up and monocle lenses: 1.5, 3.0, 9.0 and 10.5
> Adjustable light incorporated.

The acrylic lens scares me. I've had plastic lens visors and always scratched them and spotted them with over spray from aggressive deflux chemicals. I admit that I haven't always been very careful.

I have two pairs of OptiVisors with the blue lens inserts. The blue lens are glass while the clear lens are acrylic, which explains the price difference. I have the number 7 inserts and am going to get a 10 as my eyes are aging.

With the Opti 7s, I can put in typical plasma scan buffer ICs with no problem.

captainvi...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2016, 7:40:02 AM3/25/16
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:51:18 PM UTC-4, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to purchase a magnifier so that I'll be able to do things like replace eproms and other small SMT's. I'm not looking to do LSI's with 150 pins Etc. Just mostly smaller stuff. For instance I currently have a board that needs an 8 pin Eprom replaced. I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't make the image large enough. I was wondering what people are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

I also have a headset magnifier with a pair of acrylic lenses. There is so much optical distortion through the plastic though that they're just about worthless.
I have a customer who does SMT repair work and I recently had him help me. I watched him replace an 8 pin SOT for me. He had a dual lens machine like something you might see on CSI.I don't know what the magnification was but when looking into this thing it appeared as though you were looking at an 8 inch by 8 inch field of view. It was really pretty impressive. The chip took up the entire field and the spaces between the legs were very well defined. With a small enough iron and a pick it was possible to first lift each lead one at a time, remove the chip with a slight twist and then tack the new one down. I was amazed at how easy it was with adequate magnification. I think the magnification was a lot more than 10X though. I also have a headset magnifier with glass lenses that I've used for years. It has about a six inch working distance and is just slightly better than reading glasses, but looking through this guy's machine was like seeing a whole new world. Lenny

Cursitor Doom

Mar 25, 2016, 8:14:42 AM3/25/16
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 04:39:57 -0700, captainvideo462009 wrote:

> I also have a headset magnifier with
> glass lenses that I've used for years. It has about a six inch working
> distance and is just slightly better than reading glasses, but looking
> through this guy's machine was like seeing a whole new world.

Something like this is about as good as it's ever going to get:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-SURGICAL-OPERATING-
MICROSCOPE-130687-/322040154682?hash=item4afb16ca3a:g:WlIAAOSwP~tW5xGT

captainvi...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2016, 8:54:13 AM3/25/16
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:51:18 PM UTC-4, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to purchase a magnifier so that I'll be able to do things like replace eproms and other small SMT's. I'm not looking to do LSI's with 150 pins Etc. Just mostly smaller stuff. For instance I currently have a board that needs an 8 pin Eprom replaced. I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't make the image large enough. I was wondering what people are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

That's wonderful. Would you like to buy it for me? Lenny

amdx

Mar 25, 2016, 9:14:12 AM3/25/16
What we really need is a dual lense optivisor type headwear.
I would like at least a 12" working distance.
Ebay has these but I don't know that two times magnification is enough
and I don't see the focal distance.
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eschenbach-Max-Detail-Binocular-Magnifying-Glasses-Made-in-Germany-w-Hard-Case-/182035640447?hash=item2a622b707f:g:vTUAAOSwX~dWp6Qt

Mikek

captainvi...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2016, 10:49:14 AM3/25/16
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:51:18 PM UTC-4, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to purchase a magnifier so that I'll be able to do things like replace eproms and other small SMT's. I'm not looking to do LSI's with 150 pins Etc. Just mostly smaller stuff. For instance I currently have a board that needs an 8 pin Eprom replaced. I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't make the image large enough. I was wondering what people are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

These look like very good "reading " glasses. I don't think these would do the job.Lenny

Ralph Mowery

Mar 25, 2016, 11:02:56 AM3/25/16

"Look165" <loo...@numericable.fr> wrote in message
> Got the same problem.
>
> The Linear Tools 59-650-747 is ideal (about 25$) :
>
> Multi-coated Acrylic Lenses offer a choice of 4 magnification powers via
> combination of fixed , flip-up and monocle lenses: 1.5, 3.0, 9.0 and 10.5
> Adjustable light incorporated.

Problem with that is the first magnification is ok, but as you get to the
higher powers you have to almost have your nose on the circuit board. I use
one and for some work it is ok, but for fine work something else is needed.

After about 3x the lenses put your eye so close to the work it is difficult
to get the soldering equipment in without getting burnt.

captainvi...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2016, 11:35:11 AM3/25/16
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:51:18 PM UTC-4, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to purchase a magnifier so that I'll be able to do things like replace eproms and other small SMT's. I'm not looking to do LSI's with 150 pins Etc. Just mostly smaller stuff. For instance I currently have a board that needs an 8 pin Eprom replaced. I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't make the image large enough. I was wondering what people are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

The dentist wears a headset rig that allows him to work from at least an arms length away. I've seen pictures of doctors wearing similar magnifiers. I don't know what the magnification of these things are though. Anyone know the specifics on those? Lenny

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 25, 2016, 1:17:25 PM3/25/16
On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:51:14 -0700 (PDT), captainvi...@gmail.com
wrote:

> (...)
> I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have
> but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res
> TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't
> make the image large enough. I was wondering what people
> are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

You can enlarge your video image with the appropriate software. You
may end up seeing scan lines and have focus problems, but it will be
larger. I have some software that came with a microscope camera that
does this quite well. I don't recall the name right now.

I have fair collection of vision aids. All of them work for specific
functions, but none of them work for every possible situation. Here's
my list:

1. 3.25 diopter reading glasses. I get these at the dollar store for
ummm.... $1/ea. They're junk and are treated accordingly. They're
what I use most when I want to inspect a PCB. I also have some other
power reading glasses for reading.

2. Surgical or dental loupe binoculars:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/281832405417>
I have a similar 3.5x-420mm binoculars that fit over my $1 reading
glasses. They're also available in:
2.5x-320mm
3.5x-320mm
2.5x-420mm
3.5x-420mm
and maybe some other sizes. I also have an LED light that clips onto
the glasses (or my hat).

3. USB camera/microscope something like this:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/351620052002>
Most of the specs are lies. Mine is 640x480. Here's some sample
pics:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/USB%20Camera/640x480/index.html>
What's important is the LED ring light, which produces shadow free
illumination. I also have a ring light for my microscope.

4. Trincocular microscope. The 3rd pipe is for the USB camera. Be
sure to get a camera with a 0.5x expander.
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/white-plastic-rot/slides/microscope-setup.html>
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Olympus-BHC-Microscope.html>

5. Inspection type binocular microscope. This one has about 2"
working distance and should be usable for soldering SMT parts.
However, I'm short on eye pieces, the boom needs work, and the optics
need cleaning. No photos.

6. Assortment of Fresnel and convex magnifier lenses and hand
magnifiers. Also, a few illuminated jewelers loops. I keep these in
the car for service calls, where the larger devices would get in the
way.

7. Various digital cameras with macro lenses or built in macro
features. It's often easier to inspect or enhance a digital photo,
than try to see detail through the lens.

Good luck...
--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 25, 2016, 1:22:55 PM3/25/16
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:08:04 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
<rmower...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Problem with that is the first magnification is ok, but as you get to the
>higher powers you have to almost have your nose on the circuit board. I use
>one and for some work it is ok, but for fine work something else is needed.
>
>After about 3x the lenses put your eye so close to the work it is difficult
>to get the soldering equipment in without getting burnt.

See:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/281832405417>
3.5x with a 420 mm (16.5") working distance. You can get them in
other working distances.

whit3rd

Mar 25, 2016, 2:12:58 PM3/25/16
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 8:35:11 AM UTC-7, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:51:18 PM UTC-4, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I need to purchase a magnifier so that I'll be able to ...le are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny
>
> The dentist wears a headset rig that allows him to work from at least an arms length away. I've seen pictures of doctors wearing similar magnifiers.

Those are wide-field opera glasses; two small telescopes, mounted accurately to an eyeglass frame.
It's a bit expensive, and you MUST have them custom-fitted, so it's hard to try before you buy.
Designs for Vision is a supplier.
<http://www.designsforvision.com/>

John-Del

Mar 25, 2016, 2:28:56 PM3/25/16

John-Del

Mar 25, 2016, 2:36:39 PM3/25/16
On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 11:35:11 AM UTC-4, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
I bought a pair of those many years ago on ebay. They are 6.5X 420mm loupes, and I've used them for inspection, but not for soldering. The working distance is at least a foot, but the image is darker than the Opti-Visors I have and I just can't get used to working at that far a distance. Between the long distance between my eyes and my hands and the jittery aspect of them I just leave them in their wooden felt lined box. Maybe if I used them more I can get used to them as a dentist would (he can't get inside a mouth after all). It's possible they may simply be too strong for what I need.

Ralph Mowery

Mar 25, 2016, 3:27:47 PM3/25/16

<captainvi...@gmail.com> wrote in message
A good bright light helps a lot. I often use one of the LED types that
replace the common light bulb. I put in one of the reflectors that has a
clamp on it . The LED puts out lots of light and is not hot like a 60 watt
bulb would be.

Dave M

Mar 25, 2016, 3:31:58 PM3/25/16
Funny that this subject has come up at the same time that I'm looking for a
hobbyist-priced stereo microscope for SMD assembly and rework. A good
stereo microscope seems indispensible now that almost everything electronic
is getting so small that only robots are capable of handling and assembling
it.
I've been looking at the AmScope line of stereo microscopes, which are
available directly form AmScope and Ebay, for similar prices. The ones I'm
interested in are the model SE400X 5X-10X Stereo Boom Arm Microscope (Ebay
item 140927802323) and the 7X-45X Trinocular Articulating Zoom Microscope +
Ring Light (SKU: SM-6T-FRL on AmScope.com). The latter unit is on sale
right now; regular price is $1100, sale price is $530. Pretty good
discount. It's a trinocular microscope, with a port for a video camera.
I'm trying to get some recommendations as to the camera resolution needed
for SMD electronics work (megapixels).
The former unit is advertised to have a 9" working distance (from lens to
work).
Reviews for the AmScope units seem to indicate that the 10X magnification is
best for electronics work; higher magnification results in too small field
of view. The trinocular unit from AmScope is a zoom unit, with 7X-40X
magnification, well suited for a wide range of applications.

I haven't decided which model I want to buy yet... But AmScope seems to be
the best bang for the buck for me.

Cheers,
Dave M

MJC

Mar 25, 2016, 3:57:50 PM3/25/16
In article <e381a4e0-b2dc-4507...@googlegroups.com>,
whi...@gmail.com says...

> > The dentist wears a headset rig that allows him to work from at
> > least an arms length away.

I can understand a dentist wanting to be as far away as possible, but
further than an arms's length?

Mike.

dansabr...@yahoo.com

Mar 25, 2016, 4:39:58 PM3/25/16
I picked up an AM-Scope from Ebay a few years ago and use it all the time. Works great!! This particular unit has up to 80X with a different insert. I've only used the higher mag once but it was useful for the task.

These take a little practice, but are best for SMD work.

Dan

Jon Elson

Mar 25, 2016, 6:14:14 PM3/25/16
We have this one at work : eBay 400429169541 although we have a different
stand for it. It has two long (maybe 600mm) horizontal rods that link the
scope to the base. But, the scope is the same. They also sell a
fluorescent ring light that is just dumb, it cuts the working distance in
half, and totally gets in the way. I ended up making my own LED ring light,
which surrounds the nose of the scope, so it doesn't get in the way at all.
The magnification is maybe just a HAIR too much at minimum, but really does
well. I take my glasses off, so I can get my eyes really close to the
eyepieces, they you get a wider field of view. I have an old Olympus at
home, the AmScope at work, and we also have an ancient American Optical.
They all work about equally well.

Here's the same boom stand we have on ours. I think it is a very good stand
for bench electronics work.

eBay # 201537233463

Jon

Jon Elson

Mar 25, 2016, 6:20:46 PM3/25/16
>> 5. Inspection type binocular microscope. This one has about 2"
>> working distance and should be usable for soldering SMT parts.
>> However, I'm short on eye pieces, the boom needs work, and the optics
>> need cleaning. No photos.
>>
>> 6. Assortment of Fresnel and convex magnifier lenses and hand
>> magnifiers. Also, a few illuminated jewelers loops. I keep these in
>> the car for service calls, where the larger devices would get in the
>> way.
>>
>> 7. Various digital cameras with macro lenses or built in macro
>> features. It's often easier to inspect or enhance a digital photo,
>> than try to see detail through the lens.
>>
>> Good luck...
>

> Funny that this subject has come up at the same time that I'm looking for
> hobbyist-priced stereo microscope for SMD assembly and rework. A good
> stereo microscope seems indispensible now that almost everything
> electronic is getting so small that only robots are capable of handling
> and assembling it.
> I've been looking at the AmScope line of stereo microscopes, which are
> available directly form AmScope and Ebay, for similar prices. The ones
> I'm interested in are the model SE400X 5X-10X Stereo Boom Arm Microscope
> (Ebay item 140927802323) and the 7X-45X Trinocular Articulating Zoom
> Microscope +
> Ring Light (SKU: SM-6T-FRL on AmScope.com).

Check eBay # 400334443106 This is the same size as the crummy fluorescent
ring light we got, it sticks about one whole INCH below the rest of the
microscope, and also is almost 2" wider in diameter than that part of the
scope. Really gets in the way of working on things. So, I do not recommend
this specific light. What you want is one that fits up higher around that
black conical part, just under the white ring with the thumbscrew in the
first picture.

Jon

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 25, 2016, 8:40:42 PM3/25/16
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 10:17:23 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>You can enlarge your video image with the appropriate software. You
>may end up seeing scan lines and have focus problems, but it will be
>larger. I have some software that came with a microscope camera that
>does this quite well. I don't recall the name right now.

It's called AmScope from the company AmScope:
<https://www.amscope.com/software-download>
<https://unitedscopellc.wordpress.com/>
<http://www.scopetek.com/download/download.html>
I just noticed that I'm using a really old version. I guess I should
try something later.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 25, 2016, 9:04:30 PM3/25/16
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 13:39:54 -0700 (PDT), dansabr...@yahoo.com
wrote:
Yep. I just ran a screen capture of an SMD device with the cheap
640x480 USB camera placed as close to the PCB as possible.
Illuminination is by the LED ring built into the USB camera:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/USB%20Camera/AmScope/>
The small photo is 640x480 as captured by the AmScope 3.7 software.
The large photo is a screen grab of the program, with a few menus
showing, and the image expanded 2x (fit to window). Not too horrible
for a $12 camera:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/351620052002>
The down side is that the gimbal mount is impossible to tighten enough
to keep the assembly from falling over, the clamp around the camera
body had to be glued in place to keep it from falling off, and the
LED's are intermittent (bang on case to operate).

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 25, 2016, 10:08:47 PM3/25/16
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 17:21:34 -0500, Jon Elson <jme...@wustl.edu>
wrote:

>Check eBay # 400334443106 This is the same size as the crummy fluorescent
>ring light we got, it sticks about one whole INCH below the rest of the
>microscope, and also is almost 2" wider in diameter than that part of the
>scope. Really gets in the way of working on things. So, I do not recommend
>this specific light. What you want is one that fits up higher around that
>black conical part, just under the white ring with the thumbscrew in the
>first picture.

This is the one that I bought for my various microscopes and cameras:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/311570447425>
I wanted variable intensity and as much junk away from the ring as
possible and a double ring of LEDs to help reduce shadows even
further. The hole size is 60mm ID.

DaveC

Mar 27, 2016, 9:19:10 PM3/27/16
> 1I have a customer who does SMT repair work and I recently had him help me. I
> watched him replace an 8 pin SOT for me. He had a dual lens machine like
> something you might see on CSI.

Can you ask him what the make and model of his CSI machine is?

Jon Elson

Mar 28, 2016, 11:22:22 PM3/28/16
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> This is the one that I bought for my various microscopes and cameras:
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/311570447425>
This still fits below the black cone of the microscope objectives, and is
larger in diameter. What I made fit around the upper part of the black
cone, just under the ring that holds the microscope. So, it is much less in
the way of your hands, tools, etc.

Jon

Dave M

Mar 28, 2016, 11:46:10 PM3/28/16
Jon,
What are the dimensions of the light ring (ID, OD, thickness)? Im thinking
of another application for it.
I asked the seller and he/she replied that all the data about the item was
in the description. The only dimension that I saw in the description was
the mounting diameter (61mm max).

Dave M

Chris Jones

Mar 29, 2016, 6:30:41 AM3/29/16
On 25/03/2016 13:51, captainvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to purchase a magnifier so that I'll be able to do things like replace eproms and other small SMT's. I'm not looking to do LSI's with 150 pins Etc. Just mostly smaller stuff. For instance I currently have a board that needs an 8 pin Eprom replaced. I thought that I could do it with the magnifiers I have but the stuff is Just too small. I tried using a high res TV camera with a varifocal 3.5 to 8 mm lens but it doesn't make the image large enough. I was wondering what people are using to do this. Thanks, Lenny

Nikon SMZ645/660 (used) or SMZ745 (new), on a boom (can be home made),
ideally with a ring light.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 29, 2016, 8:31:32 PM3/29/16
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:46:04 -0500, "Dave M" <dgmi...@mediacombb.net>
wrote:

>Jon,

Methinks that you mean't me.

>What are the dimensions of the light ring (ID, OD, thickness)?

ID: 60 mm
OD: 96 mm (not including lock screws and power connector).
Thick: 30 mm

Adjustable power supply:
Model: LC-P800
Input: 90-240VAC 50/60Hz
Output: 10-12VDC 750 ma Max

>> Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>>> This is the one that I bought for my various microscopes and cameras:
>>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/311570447425>

Dave M

Mar 29, 2016, 11:07:48 PM3/29/16
Yes, Jeff, I was addressing the question to you; sorry if I was ambiguous.
Thanks for the info.

Dave M