3-Digit Code For Old TV

tb

Oct 28, 2017, 12:56:25 PM10/28/17
I have found this old (1990!!) TV that was sold by Montgomery Ward USA.
The brand on the TV is "Signature 2000".

I also have an RCA digital TV converter box (the brand is "RCA DTA800")
that comes with its remote. There is no specific part number on the RCA
remote.

I'm trying to pair up the RCA remote to the TV set. I tried the
following 3-digit codes that I found online: 000, 001, 023, 083, 115.
None of them work...

Does anyone know what the 3-digit code is?
--
tb

John-Del

Oct 28, 2017, 1:13:32 PM10/28/17
Not every 1990 TV had remote control...

Assuming that it does, the only option you have is to try all 999 codes that remote will take as it appears the remote does not have a "search" feature.

rickman

Oct 28, 2017, 1:28:43 PM10/28/17
You can turn it on and off with a TV-B-Gone

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

jurb...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2017, 8:18:51 PM10/28/17
Even if it is remote it might be too old.

Jeff Liebermann

Oct 28, 2017, 9:08:41 PM10/28/17
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 11:56:22 -0500, tb <nos...@example.invalid> wrote:

>I have found this old (1990!!) TV that was sold by Montgomery Ward USA.
>The brand on the TV is "Signature 2000".

Looks like you have to search by
company = ward
and
model = Signature 2000.
DirecTV remotes have a 5 digit code in their remote.
<http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P4380052#h:620.226>

Here's page full of Signature 2000 remotes:
<https://www.replacementremotes.com/SIGNATURE-2000/Remote-Controls/>
<https://www.replacementremotes.com/store/prodthumbs?ns=1&producttype=Remote+Control&categoryid=176&keyword=signature+2000>

>I also have an RCA digital TV converter box (the brand is "RCA DTA800")
>that comes with its remote. There is no specific part number on the RCA
>remote.

Try RC27A remote:
<https://www.replacementremotes.com/rca/buy-rc27a-dta800b1-digital-tv-tuner-converter-box-remote-control>

>I'm trying to pair up the RCA remote to the TV set. I tried the
>following 3-digit codes that I found online: 000, 001, 023, 083, 115.
>None of them work...
>
>Does anyone know what the 3-digit code is?

Again, from DirecTV remote codes:
<http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P4380052#h:620.462>
Also click on "find more codes".
--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

whit3rd

Oct 29, 2017, 2:47:48 AM10/29/17
On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 9:56:25 AM UTC-7, tb wrote:
> I have found this old (1990!!) TV that was sold by Montgomery Ward USA.

> I also have an RCA digital TV converter box (the brand is "RCA DTA800")
> that comes with its remote. There is no specific part number on the RCA
> remote.

Look inside the battery compartment, sometimes there's a part number there.
<www.rcaaccessories.com> is a good place to start looking, if it's an RCA
universal remote.

Bruce Esquibel

Oct 29, 2017, 9:24:26 AM10/29/17
John-Del <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not every 1990 TV had remote control...

> Assuming that it does, the only option you have is to try all 999 codes
> that remote will take as it appears the remote does not have a "search"
> feature.

I'll give ya a +1 for both of these, in 1990 remote control sets were not
entirely standard issue, especially on the lower end (which MW falls into)
and trying all 999 codes might be the only way.

Since Montgomery Wards didn't make their own sets, it's likely a 3rd party
kind of thing. For whatever reason I want to say they mostly were rebadged
Magnavox models although Hitachi and MGA (old Mitsubishi name) rings a bell
also. For all I know they could of switched every model year depending who
could make them the cheapest.

The "Signature 2000" is meaningless, it's like saying you own a Buick.

If there is a paper tag still on that thing with a model number, that may
lead to a clue to who made it for them.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Roger Blake

Oct 29, 2017, 9:56:03 AM10/29/17
On 2017-10-28, tb <nos...@example.invalid> wrote:
> I have found this old (1990!!) TV that was sold by Montgomery Ward USA.
> The brand on the TV is "Signature 2000".

A 1990 set hardly qualifies as "old." Possibly my 1957-vintage Motorola
highboy console does.

As others have pointed out it is quite possible that set did not come
with a remote control. Is there a visible infrared receiver on the front?

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org

Andy Burns

Oct 29, 2017, 10:16:27 AM10/29/17
Roger Blake wrote:

> A 1990 set hardly qualifies as "old."

Maybe not old, but it's pre-LCD, pre-digital, pre-HD, so I'd guess 99%
of its contemporaries are in landfill ...

Allodoxaphobia

Oct 29, 2017, 12:16:48 PM10/29/17
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 13:24:24 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel wrote:
> John-Del <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not every 1990 TV had remote control...
>
>> Assuming that it does, the only option you have is to try all 999 codes
>> that remote will take as it appears the remote does not have a "search"
>> feature.
>
> I'll give ya a +1 for both of these, in 1990 remote control sets were not
> entirely standard issue, especially on the lower end (which MW falls into)
> and trying all 999 codes might be the only way.

No one has yet mentioned the ultrasonic or RF remote controls....

Jonesy

olds...@tubes.com

Oct 29, 2017, 4:02:10 PM10/29/17
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 13:24:24 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel <b...@ripco.com>
wrote:

>I'll give ya a +1 for both of these, in 1990 remote control sets were not
>entirely standard issue, especially on the lower end (which MW falls into)
>and trying all 999 codes might be the only way.

I once tried all 999 codes on a Universal remote. NONE of them worked. I
just wasted a lot of my time doing it. Some, if not most of them are not
as "universal" as they claim to be.

John-Del

Oct 29, 2017, 7:11:05 PM10/29/17
If there was an audio or rf remote used in a 1990 domestic TV, I'm unaware of them, and I repaired just about every TV that was ever sold in this country. TVs went IR in the late 70s - an RCA B&W remote portable being the last "impac" tuning fork clicker that I'm aware of (mechanical tuner with AC motor drive).

Sjouke Burry

Oct 29, 2017, 7:30:58 PM10/29/17
A tv repair guy told me about a mystery repair, where they were
called in several times for a tv which was switching channels
all the time.
remote control was using sound.
He finally found the reason for the errors.
He saw a parrot opening its beak, each time the tv switched.
The stupid bird imitated the sonic when he disliked the tv program....
Cure? Remove the bird.....

Mike Coon

Oct 30, 2017, 6:33:47 AM10/30/17
In article <59f66444$0$1714$e4fe...@textnews.kpn.nl>,
burrynu...@ppllaanneett.nnll says...

> He saw a parrot opening its beak, each time the tv switched.
> The stupid bird imitated the sonic when he disliked the tv program....
> Cure? Remove the bird.....

No, promote the bird to "genius"! Replace TV.

Mike.

John-Del

Oct 30, 2017, 9:43:16 AM10/30/17
You just triggered a long dormant memory. One of the tricks techs would do on the early ultrasonic remote receivers was to jingle their keys right at the TV's microphone. If the TV responded in any way, we'd just order a new transmitter. Of course, the old "impac" tuning fork "clickers" never quit entirely.

Young guys could put the transmitter right against their ear and hear them work. Whether they were fundamental or harmonics they were hearing I don't know.

tb

Oct 30, 2017, 10:57:54 AM10/30/17
On 10/29/2017 at 8:56:01 AM Roger Blake wrote:

> On 2017-10-28, tb <nos...@example.invalid> wrote:
> > I have found this old (1990!!) TV that was sold by Montgomery Ward
> > USA. The brand on the TV is "Signature 2000".
>
> A 1990 set hardly qualifies as "old." Possibly my 1957-vintage
> Motorola highboy console does.
>
> As others have pointed out it is quite possible that set did not come
> with a remote control. Is there a visible infrared receiver on the
> front?

Yes, there is an infrared receiver on the front of the TV set. And the
TV came with its own remote control which still works.

I was just hoping to use a single remote control for TV and converter
box, instead of two...

--
tb

John-Del

Oct 30, 2017, 12:15:35 PM10/30/17
Then what you need is a learning remote. They used to be popular - don't know if they still make them. Google "learning remote".

Chuck

Oct 30, 2017, 2:57:08 PM10/30/17
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 09:15:33 -0700 (PDT), John-Del <ohg...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Signature 2000s were made by different companies. The one you have
was probably one made in Taiwan by an unknown television manufacturer.
(I.E. Not Fulet, AOC or Sampo.) I would try NEC codes because some of
these off brand sets used NEC ics.

---