Field measurement of harmonic distortion- how?

Wond

Jun 27, 2021, 12:02:51 PM6/27/21
My son has a new welder, spec'd 5% max THD input AC power. I see
Keysight has a DMM with a "relative distortion" position. Anyone used one
of these? Useful? Anyone have a favorite, or a simple method? Cheers

Phil Allison

Jun 29, 2021, 1:28:22 AM6/29/21
Wond wrote:
=============

> My son has a new welder, spec'd 5% max THD input AC power.

** The welder is clearly not happy with power from a "modified square wave" DC inverter.
So don't use one.

Regular mains power is gonna be fine.

..... Phil

Wond

Jun 30, 2021, 11:09:56 AM6/30/21
My thinking too, but it appears from available bumf that inverter
types claim less THD than cheap conventional gens.
It would be interesting to see how Agilent/Keysight measure it in
their DMM. Thanks for reply.

Phil Allison

Jun 30, 2021, 7:37:55 PM6/30/21
==============

--------------------

> My thinking too, but it appears from available bumf that inverter
> types claim less THD than cheap conventional gens.

** Oh dear - FYI a "DC inverter " runs off a 12 or 24V battery.

" Inverter generators " are pure sine wave.
The AC supply has a few percent of 3rd and 5th harmonics.

> It would be interesting to see how Agilent/Keysight measure it in
> their DMM.

** For sure.
I saw nothing on the Agilent site about it.

Can you borrow a scope to take a peek at the wave?

.... Phil