Grain-of-wheat bulbs

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Jul 29, 2010, 2:07:21 PM7/29/10
I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.

These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
brightness vs voltage).

--
Paul Hovnanian pa...@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Dave Platt

Jul 29, 2010, 2:20:34 PM7/29/10
In article <Noadne83-tm2XszR...@posted.isomediainc>,

Paul Hovnanian P.E. <pa...@hovnanian.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
>should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
>current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
>current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
>
>These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
>won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
>brightness vs voltage).

First Googling turns up some bulbs offered by Kit Kraft, for dollhouse
use: http://www.kitkraft.biz/product.php?productid=5582

Stated as 1.5 - 3 volts, current draw not stated.

--
Dave Platt <dpl...@radagast.org> AE6EO

Piotr Piatek

Jul 29, 2010, 5:17:12 PM7/29/10
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:07:21 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

>I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
>should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
>current.

You could cannibalize a cheap LCD watch. They use tiny 1.5V bulbs to
backlit the display.

Piotr

Grant

Jul 29, 2010, 5:47:15 PM7/29/10
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:07:21 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." <pa...@hovnanian.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
>should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
>current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
>current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
>
>These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
>won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
>brightness vs voltage).

If you could add an opamp for voltage to current, you might be able to
use a LED. Otherwise more shopping around, perhaps hobby model shops?

Grant.

Archon

Jul 29, 2010, 7:05:09 PM7/29/10
On 7/29/2010 2:07 PM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
> should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
> current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
> current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
>
> These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
> won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
> brightness vs voltage).

Ebay #> 120598027723

Have to hack the cute lampshades off maybe?
JC

Archon

Jul 29, 2010, 7:20:05 PM7/29/10

David Nebenzahl

Jul 30, 2010, 12:25:02 AM7/30/10
On 7/29/2010 11:07 AM Paul Hovnanian P.E. spake thus:

> I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
> should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
> current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
> current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
>
> These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
> won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
> brightness vs voltage).

Is that meter by any chance a Gossen? the type with two bulbs that light
up equally bright when the dial is adjusted correctly? I had one of
those when I was a kid. Luna Pro?

Spehro Pefhany

Jul 30, 2010, 7:26:31 AM7/30/10
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:07:21 -0700, the renowned "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
<pa...@hovnanian.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
>should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
>current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
>current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
>
>These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
>won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
>brightness vs voltage).

Try a hobby shop that caters to model railroaders (lots of other
interesting stuff there too!)

Eg.
http://www.grsmicroliting.com/eshop/index.html?target=dept_5.html&lang=en-us
"1.5V and 3.0V Super GOR Bulbs"

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

J. Todd

Jul 30, 2010, 10:59:16 AM7/30/10
In article <Noadne83-tm2XszR...@posted.isomediainc>,
pa...@hovnanian.com says...

> I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
> should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
> current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
> current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
>
> These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
> won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
> brightness vs voltage).

www.cir-kitconcepts.com

Sofa Slug

Jul 30, 2010, 11:03:18 AM7/30/10
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
> should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
> current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
> current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
>
> These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
> won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
> brightness vs voltage).

1.5v @ 40 ma. lamp (All Electronics): http://tinyurl.com/24khy9l
...they also carry a 3v @ 55 ma. version.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Aug 15, 2010, 11:21:00 PM8/15/10
David Nebenzahl wrote:

> On 7/29/2010 11:07 AM Paul Hovnanian P.E. spake thus:
>
> > I'm looking for a couple of these to repair some (antique) equipment. They
> > should be 1.5V, about 30mA and produce a relatively 'white' light at this
> > current. Some Radio Shack 6V, 100mA bulbs draw approximately the correct
> > current at 1.5V, but they are too reddish and dim to be of any use.
> >
> > These are used in an old photographic light meter as a null indicator. LEDs
> > won't work at this voltage level (too dim and no where near linear
> > brightness vs voltage).
>
> Is that meter by any chance a Gossen? the type with two bulbs that light
> up equally bright when the dial is adjusted correctly? I had one of
> those when I was a kid. Luna Pro?

Yes.

One lamp is burned out. I measured the voltage and lamp current of the
good one. I'll be replacing both of them (just to keep the differential
circuit properly balanced).

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com
c (velocity of light in a vacuum) = 1.8x10^12 furlongs per fortnight

Mark Zacharias

Aug 16, 2010, 7:20:05 AM8/16/10
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." <Pa...@Hovnanian.com> wrote in message

Model train hobby shops carry all sorts of small lamps. Might give one of
them a try.

Mark Z.