Can I fix this?

micky

Feb 25, 2019, 8:15:04 PM2/25/19
Just before I went out of town, a neighbor gave me a 40" flat screen tv
that, she said, got sound but no picture.

I didn't even have time to see what brand it is, but she said it wasn't
a Samsung, like the box from their new one.

What are the chances you'd be able to fix this at a reasonable cost?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm about a 4 to 5 in ability to fix electronics.

What are the chances *I'll* be able to fix this? I figure it needs a HV
rectifier tube like a 1AV4 (iirc) or a flyback transformer.

If not that, maybe a video board which will cost as much as a used TV?
Plus I won't be able to return the board even if it doesn't help.
(P.S. I know it doesn't have tubes or a flyback. ;=) )

John-Del

Feb 25, 2019, 8:36:52 PM2/25/19
You need to give us more than that. Plasma or LCD/LED? Other than the fact they produce a TV picture, they share very little circuit topography.

If it's a plasma, we need to know if the panel is priming.

If it's an LCD/LED, we need to know if the back lights are enabled.

And that's just the start. Give us a model number at least.

micky

Feb 25, 2019, 8:42:12 PM2/25/19
In sci.electronics.repair, on Mon, 25 Feb 2019 17:36:49 -0800 (PST),
Well, that will have to wait until I get back home. I was leaving the
next day so didn't have time to take it out of the box even part-way
to find out the brand.

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2019, 5:26:49 AM2/26/19
Maybe it just needs a new red EHT current limiting lightbulb. Most common problem is bad caps in the PSU. Backlighting prolems also occur.

NT

Tim R

Feb 26, 2019, 11:09:05 AM2/26/19
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:15:04 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
> Just before I went out of town, a neighbor gave me a 40" flat screen tv
> that, she said, got sound but no picture.

She was on the roof with binoculars. She saw you coming a mile away.

Now you're stuck with electronics that will cost you minimum $25 to recycle. You can't just throw this away, the trash people won't take it. You may even get fined for putting it out.

Repair? Unlikely. (based on posting history, electronic troubleshooting is not your strong suit)

micky

Feb 26, 2019, 2:49:06 PM2/26/19
In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 26 Feb 2019 08:09:02 -0800 (PST), Tim
R <timot...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:15:04 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
>> Just before I went out of town, a neighbor gave me a 40" flat screen tv
>> that, she said, got sound but no picture.
>>

>She was on the roof with binoculars. She saw you coming a mile away.
>
>Now you're stuck with electronics that will cost you minimum $25 to recycle. You can't just throw this away, the trash people won't take it. You may even get fined for putting it out.

No fine afaik, they just ignore it. But she said that if I couldn't fix
it, to bring it back and they would take care of it as before

>Repair? Unlikely. (based on posting history, electronic troubleshooting is not your strong suit)

I think you don't appreciate my humor.

Jon Elson

Feb 26, 2019, 4:09:22 PM2/26/19
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 03:14:55 +0200, micky wrote:

> Just before I went out of town, a neighbor gave me a 40" flat screen tv
> that, she said, got sound but no picture.
>
> I didn't even have time to see what brand it is, but she said it wasn't
> a Samsung, like the box from their new one.
>
> What are the chances you'd be able to fix this at a reasonable cost?
>
> On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm about a 4 to 5 in ability to fix electronics.
>
> What are the chances *I'll* be able to fix this? I figure it needs a HV
> rectifier tube like a 1AV4 (iirc) or a flyback transformer.

1AV4 rectifier? Was it made before 1960? I can't imagine any TV made
after 1960 having a TUBE rectifier. And, I don't remember any 40" TVs
back then.

Jon

Mike Coon

Feb 27, 2019, 3:47:01 AM2/27/19
In article <hrGdnZxqIsNmN-jB...@giganews.com>, elson@pico-
systems.com says...

> 1AV4 rectifier? Was it made before 1960? I can't imagine any TV made
> after 1960 having a TUBE rectifier. And, I don't remember any 40" TVs
> back then.
>
> Jon

And if there were any they could not have had a "flat screen" because of
resisting the vacuum...

Mike.