Soundcraft Compact 4, small mixer , 2005

N_Cook

Feb 20, 2014, 9:54:53 AM2/20/14
More a case of lack of use, certainly not due to wear , and as I can see
the grease oozing out of the spindle area, presumably compacted grease
spots on the tracks.
2 main rotary stereo pots are bad I don't mind attending to individually
but half the other such 30 or so rotary pots are "scratchy".
I think I'll use my modified electric toothbrush head and methylated
spirits squirted in the convenient access hole in these Alpha pots,
agitating via the toothbrush reciprocating motion , while plenty of
meths inside, in the first instance.
Any other ideas? desoldering a load of stereo rotary pots with plated
through holes and very close SMD active devices is asking for colateral
damage. How to get the grease out or at least redistributed without
removing the pots.
BTW intrusion of graphic designer cobblers?, its impossible for an owner
to remove the DC power connector without pliers or by pulling the lead
at the wrong angle, ie straining the usual failure position, because
recessed into the side cheeks.

dave

Feb 20, 2014, 1:53:05 PM2/20/14
The labor costs more than the thing is worth?

N_Cook

Feb 20, 2014, 2:24:17 PM2/20/14
I do wonder how long the pot makers have known about the problem with
the lubricant migrating and the very flimsy wiper metal used in the SMD
era sub16mm pots era. The grase has to only bind a bit and solidify a
bit and the wipers will lift off the track. Ive never seen a worn track
on one of these pots.

N_Cook

Feb 24, 2014, 9:51:31 AM2/24/14
toothbrush wheeze on the pots has made this usable again, for how long?
the amount of grease around the spindle must be limited at the outset