Name for a mechanism

N_Cook

Nov 20, 2017, 3:30:40 PM11/20/17
A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
making a clicking noise as the drive side turns relatively freely to
protect a motor etc and alerts a user to a problem.

Tim R

Nov 20, 2017, 3:48:58 PM11/20/17
That's how a torque wrench works, but I don't know the name of the mechanism.

whit3rd

Nov 20, 2017, 3:58:32 PM11/20/17
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 12:30:40 PM UTC-8, N_Cook wrote:
> A sort of slip clutch in a gear train that transmits torque until ther
> is a jam. Then at a preset back-torque a "ratchet" mechanism engages
> making a clicking noise ...

In my imagination, I see a differential, with one output driving the load,
and the other driving a bell, but secured with a brake.

Or, a shaft coupling with a shear pin, which makes a fuss when it
breaks. Maybe a shear pin with a stinky mercaptan center?

Jon Elson

Nov 20, 2017, 4:09:02 PM11/20/17
Overload clutch?

Jon

et...@whidbey.com

Nov 20, 2017, 4:12:20 PM11/20/17
"Ball detent overload release" is one name for this type of clutch.
Eric

pf...@aol.com

Nov 20, 2017, 4:28:10 PM11/20/17
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 4:12:20 PM UTC-5, et...@whidbey.com wrote:

> "Ball detent overload release" is one name for this type of clutch.
> Eric

http://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/ball-torque-limiter-148825.html

AKA "Ball Torque Limiter".

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

John Robertson

Nov 20, 2017, 6:09:05 PM11/20/17
Depending on how much torque you are talking about the ICE bubble hockey
arcade games use a nylon slip clutch in their player gearboxes. This
releases if the men are jammed and makes a ratcheting sound. They do
wear out, but last years and they sell for around $15 for the entire
gearbox.

https://www.icegame.com/category/22/super-chexx#parts

number SC3012X

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

tschw...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2017, 6:21:00 PM11/20/17
Over-running clutch?

Jon Elson

Nov 20, 2017, 10:19:06 PM11/20/17
No, an overrunning clutch allows it to slip in one direction and grab in the
other. That is a different mechanism used for a different purpose.

Jon

Tim R

Nov 21, 2017, 11:30:31 AM11/21/17
Like a bicycle freewheel.

N_Cook

Nov 21, 2017, 2:16:22 PM11/21/17
I'll go for that term. A similar sort of mechanism as the percussion
part of a percussion drill, hence the clattering noise when triggered.
In the gear train of a posket digital camera, jamming due to a silly bit
of plastic anti-dirt skirt, that has aged or degraded and gets between
the sliding barrel segments. So what sounds like a nasty slipped
gear/broken gear tooth, is designed-in noise

tschw...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2017, 10:59:23 AM11/22/17
We used to use this type of clutch in linear actuators in some of our machines, I think we may have called them torque clutches or ratcheting clutches. The ratcheting noise proved unacceptable to customers. We developed circuitry to detect the stall current of the motor and controlled the actuator travel that way, rather than thru brute force timing.