Help for iPhone batteries on continuous charge?

mike

Aug 14, 2018, 9:57:11 PM8/14/18
I have a bunch of apple phones and ipods
that I use for music playback parked in
speaker docks.
All the apple stuff uses the
older 30-pin connector for charging.

They're on charge while playing music 24/7.

I've been using some android phones in a similar
manner charging via USB.
Doesn't take long for the lithium batteries to swell.

I'm migrating to apple devices and I want to prevent
the batteries swelling up.

Any ideas on how to prevent this?
I don't care about running for long on battery,
just want to keep the OS happy when I swap the
phone in the dock.

I don't expect there's anything I can do in the
charger.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Simplest thing I can think of is to put a pair
of backtoback diodes in series with the battery.

Before I start busting plastic to get 'em apart,
thought I'd ask if the charge algorithm might
object and shut down. I'd like to keep some
charge on the battery so I can remove the device
from the dock without losing data.

Ideas?

tabb...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2018, 10:11:52 PM8/14/18
Iphone 4 batteries are under £4 a time.

NT

mike

Aug 14, 2018, 10:43:51 PM8/14/18
OUCH!
That's 4X what the phone cost.
And not an answer to the question.

John Robertson

Aug 15, 2018, 12:57:04 AM8/15/18
Not sure if it is a help to you, but my adult daughter has an old iPod
plugged into a speaker box/charger which has been sitting on their
kitchen counter and has been running for five or so years with no
battery issues.

John :-#)#

mike

Aug 15, 2018, 3:11:39 AM8/15/18
Thanks,
All my swollen batteries are in Android and Windows phones.
Maybe Apple got it right.

John Robertson

Aug 15, 2018, 3:44:52 AM8/15/18
I leave my iPhone 6 on charge overnight, and it is cool to the touch in
the morning. It actually only takes an hour or so to charge...

John ;-#)#

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 15, 2018, 12:57:59 PM8/15/18
On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 00:10:51 -0700, mike <ham...@netzero.net> wrote:

>All my swollen batteries are in Android and Windows phones.
>Maybe Apple got it right.

I beg to differ somewhat:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+bulging+battery&tbm=isch>
The reason you see more bulging batteries in Android phones is because
there are 3 times more activated Android phones in service than
iPhones. Also because the Android batteries are somewhat easier to
replace in most Android phones (except HTC). Original batteries are
usually good quality, but the replacements are not so good.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Mike Coon

Aug 15, 2018, 2:35:55 PM8/15/18
In article <ndm8nddm3rcj286bl...@4ax.com>,
je...@cruzio.com says...

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 00:10:51 -0700, mike <ham...@netzero.net> wrote:
>
> >All my swollen batteries are in Android and Windows phones.
> >Maybe Apple got it right.
>
> I beg to differ somewhat:
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+bulging+battery&tbm=isch>
> The reason you see more bulging batteries in Android phones is because
> there are 3 times more activated Android phones in service than
> iPhones. Also because the Android batteries are somewhat easier to
> replace in most Android phones (except HTC). Original batteries are
> usually good quality, but the replacements are not so good.

Hmmm. The manual for my Motorola phone explicitly says it can be left on
charge. First symptom was failure of "torch" function. Then screen
bulged out of the case. The bulging battery had disconnected the torch.
The replacement battery is OK so far, but I don't leave it on charge for
long periods...

Mike.

mike

Aug 15, 2018, 3:59:50 PM8/15/18
There are a couple of effects.
Lithium batteries don't like maximum voltage, on charge or not.
Degradation increases rapidly as voltage increases.
If you charge then disconnect, the percentage of time the battery
stays at that maximum voltage is SIGNIFICANTLY less.

Vendors maximize the claimed run time of their phones.
They push it to the limit, and maybe past. Staying on
charge is bad news.

Some devices charge to max, but internally disconnect until the
battery falls below some level. Some devices allow you to
set the maximum charge level. That lets them advertise big
life numbers and blame you if your battery fails.

The stuff I buy at garage sales is old technology. That's why
I think I need to take some action inside the charge system.
Series diodes are the only thing I can think to do without a lot
of proprietary info about how the charge controller works.

The pinout page shows several ways to disable charging.
I've interpreted this to mean that it also forces it to run
on internal battery. Some investigation might be in order
to see if that's the case. Maybe a FET in series with the charge line
that gets turned off when inserted into the speaker dock.

I'd merely have to charge the battery on a different
charger occasionally to keep the battery from going completely flat.

I've got 2 ipods and 4 iphones 3, 3GS, 4, 4GS...and maybe a dozen
speaker docks.
Likely that they all charge differently. Making something compatible
across the range will be a challenge.

I keep coming back to a pair of diodes to drop the max
charge voltage and wondering whether the charge controller will
tolerate that dead band in the curve.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 19, 2018, 8:49:06 PM8/19/18
The answer to overnight charging and bulging batteries is complicated.

Charging Your Phone Overnight: Battery Myths Debunked
<https://www.pcmag.com/news/357987/charging-your-phone-overnight-battery-myths-debunked>

I could question the explanations and suggestions in the article
because battery chemistry, construction, chargers, charge controllers,
BMS (battery management system), and phones vary over the years. The
only advice I could add is to forget everything you know about older
battery chemistries (NiMH, NiCd, Alkaline) because the various LiIon
chemistries are quite different.

What would cause a phone battery to bulge in the middle?
<https://www.quora.com/What-would-cause-a-phone-battery-to-bulge-in-the-middle>
Over-simplification: Overcharging produces gases.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2018, 10:12:00 PM8/19/18
As many apps as possible should all be off when charging, too. That way, the phone is using less energy while charging.

Mike Coon

Aug 20, 2018, 4:14:04 AM8/20/18
In article <e3a84aec-c1d0-40eb...@googlegroups.com>,
bruce2...@gmail.com says...

> As many apps as possible should all be off when charging, too. That way, the phone is using less energy while charging.

Please explain why that would make any difference...

Mike.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2018, 3:04:56 PM8/22/18
I read it, here:

-- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5837372

(a helpdesk person at Apple or Samsung can explain further)

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2018, 3:12:42 PM8/22/18

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2018, 3:14:40 PM8/22/18
"How to close open apps on phone so phone will keep a charge longer?
I am unable to drag icons to the top of screen

You do not need to drag icons. By tapping icons, you can only launch them. By tapping and holding icons, you can move them around, group them, or uninstall them. Double-press the home button to initiate the closing process. Then, just tap on the application that you want to close and slide it upwards.

For a longer battery overall lifespan, do not discharge it fully and do not keep it charged at 100 % for too long. For a longer battery life between charges

decrease the volume of the phone;
closing applications may not affect the battery life, actually: to really close applications, you need to go to "Settings" > "General" > "Background App Refresh" and disable as many applications as you can. This will be the true way to "close applications";
in "Settings" > "Notifications", disable notifications for as many applications as possible;
in "Settings" > "Wallpaper & Brightness", turn off the "Auto-Brightness" option;
in "Settings" > "General" > "Spotlight Search", disable "Siri Suggestions" and all of the "SEARCH RESULTS" options;
in "Settings" > "Cellular", scroll down to the bottom. Disable "WiFi Assist".
I have a new iPhone 5S, and I need to close all of the applications. My battery won't go beyond 1/4th of a charge?
I need to close my apps so I can charge my battery to a full charge,"

Adrian Caspersz

Sep 3, 2018, 1:27:08 PM9/3/18
On 15/08/18 02:56, mike wrote:
> I have a bunch of apple phones and ipods
> that I use for music playback parked in
> speaker docks.

> Simplest thing I can think of is to put a pair
> of backtoback diodes in series with the battery.
>
> Before I start busting plastic to get 'em apart,
> thought I'd ask if the charge algorithm might
> object and shut down.  I'd like to keep some
> charge on the battery so I can remove the device
> from the dock without losing data.
>
> Ideas?

Replace the battery with a supercap capacitor.

--
Adrian C