Looks similar search engine?

N_Cook

Apr 29, 2010, 7:05:09 AM4/29/10
Where you can upload a pic of a mystery item somewhere, direct a search
engine to it , analyses it and finds similar. ?
I have a no name web cam I would like to find a driver for and also a few
hundred, no context silver-plated brass widgets , no name /number etc also,
I'd like to identify

Adrian C

Apr 29, 2010, 1:53:40 PM4/29/10
On 29/04/2010 12:05, N_Cook wrote:
> Where you can upload a pic of a mystery item somewhere, direct a search
> engine to it , analyses it and finds similar. ?
> I have a no name web cam I would like to find a driver

That's easy (unless some rules have been broken).

Google 'usb device id list' and ask your operating system what device id
it sees.

for and also a few
> hundred, no context silver-plated brass widgets , no name /number etc also,
> I'd like to identify

That is a bit harder, needs human eyes. Can you post a picture on
somewhere like photobucket?

--
Adrian C

GregS

Apr 29, 2010, 2:08:15 PM4/29/10

Search engines do not analyse pictures. You do need to up load pictures and have experts analyse,
like a forum for silver plated brass widgets. You show them where to find pictures.

By the way, Yahoo still favors using Flicker for their image library, but
have greatly improved their image library. I have also noticed they are better
than Google at indexing many websites, and like always, you have to use different
search engines to find the info you are looking for.

greg

kaboom

Apr 29, 2010, 7:14:48 PM4/29/10
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:05:09 +0100, "N_Cook" <div...@tcp.co.uk>
wrote:

**Would something like this work?

http://www.tineye.com/

Though I think you'd have to load the picture somewhere first like
flickr or something.

N_Cook

Apr 30, 2010, 3:28:35 AM4/30/10
kaboom <kaboo...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

I imagine that is for copyright infringement tracing, kept returning 0
results whatever I uploaded to it or directed it to

N_Cook

Apr 30, 2010, 3:36:16 AM4/30/10
GregS <zekf...@zekfrivolous.com> wrote in message

Not really much to photograph
The widgets have a shape like bootlace ferrules but not for crimping as
thicker brass and also silver plating. Maybe a variant of turret tags for
setting in pcb without the turrets or some sort of terminal or pin.
12.5 mm long, hole through axis with a ridge around the outside, one end 1mm
hole and 2.5mm outside dimension and other end 2.8mm hole and 3.8mm outside.

Adrian C

Apr 30, 2010, 10:11:34 AM4/30/10
On 30/04/2010 08:36, N_Cook wrote:
> Not really much to photograph
> The widgets have a shape like bootlace ferrules but not for crimping as
> thicker brass and also silver plating. Maybe a variant of turret tags for
> setting in pcb without the turrets or some sort of terminal or pin.
> 12.5 mm long, hole through axis with a ridge around the outside, one end 1mm
> hole and 2.5mm outside dimension and other end 2.8mm hole and 3.8mm outside.

I think its a pin contact insert for a multi-pole connector. The ridge
fixes the pin in whatever material is the connector body and wires are
pushed and soldered inside the thicker end of it.

--
Adrian C

N_Cook

Apr 30, 2010, 12:25:26 PM4/30/10
Adrian C <em...@here.invalid> wrote in message

DIN41612 type connectors with power carrying pins incorporated perhaps, like
these
http://media4.rscomponents.cataloguesolutions.com/LargeProductImages/R469746
-01.jpg

N_Cook

May 1, 2010, 5:55:42 AM5/1/10
Looking again there are different sizes , but not mutually pluggable and
none have slits or sprung bits and silvered brass seems a bit odd for power
connectors

http://diverse.4mg.com/silvered_pins.jpg

Ron

May 1, 2010, 5:59:06 AM5/1/10

They look like pins for an Edac or Harting type connector

Franc Zabkar

May 3, 2010, 5:42:12 PM5/3/10
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:53:40 +0100, Adrian C <em...@here.invalid> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>Google 'usb device id list' and ask your operating system what device id
>it sees.

You can detect your USB hardware with Microsoft's UVCView utility, or
with lsusb (Linux):

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/lsusb8.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-usb/files/usbutils/

- Franc Zabkar

N_Cook

May 4, 2010, 8:02:15 AM5/4/10
Franc Zabkar <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message

Thanks for that, not aware of them ,UVCView.x86.exe and also USBview worked
. Webcam identified and driver and manual downloaded.

Sjouke Burry

May 4, 2010, 12:52:27 PM5/4/10
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:53:40 +0100, Adrian C <em...@here.invalid> put
> finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>> Google 'usb device id list' and ask your operating system what device id
>> it sees.
>
> You can detect your USB hardware with Microsoft's UVCView utility, or
> with lsusb (Linux):
>
> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe
> http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/lsusb8.html
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-usb/files/usbutils/
>
> - Franc Zabkar
M$ did not know it but google found:
> ftp://ftp.efo.ru/pub/ftdichip/Utilities/UVCView.x86.exe

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

May 29, 2010, 12:45:33 AM5/29/10
A decade ago some linguist claimed to have a system that could search
voice files. I lost track of her but she said she had worked for Mitch
Kapoor before her doctorate.

My guess is you could convert the photos to text using GIFSCII, which
would make them sufficiently fuzzy. They you would use a 4x4
transformation (with perspective scalings in the fourth dimension) to
convert everything to the same frame of reference.

I'd guess it exists already, but some gatekeeper refuses to believe it
enough to promote it.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

May 29, 2010, 12:52:25 AM5/29/10
Search for "geometric search engine"
or "vector search engine".. just my first stab

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

May 29, 2010, 9:55:18 AM5/29/10
I believe JPEG/MPEG uses eigencovariance to transform the image to the
coordinate system that requires the least possible storage, so that
should already take care of the frame of reference. I suspect if you
can get a search engine to just notice were in the JPEG this is
located, it can find similar images. SOme of this work resulted from
Kalman, Dhrymes & Los working on the SDI identification problem in the
late 1980s.