Ford 9N ignition question.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 6:20:49 PM4/25/17
dca...@krl.org wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:
>On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, et...@whidbey.com wrote:
>> I think
>> the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere
>> in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the
>> ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
>> Thanks,
>> Eric
>

>Forgot to say that the weak spark might be caused by a bad condenser.
>THe condenser helps keep the spark from occurring across the points
>instead of at the spark plug

I've got no familiarity with what a condenser is (outside of HVAC) in car circuitry. But thanks for saying what it does.

Michael A. Terrell

Apr 29, 2017, 3:23:31 AM4/29/17
'Condenser' is an outdated name for capacitors.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Phil Allison

Apr 29, 2017, 3:40:04 AM4/29/17
Michael Terrell wrote:

> 'Condenser' is an outdated name for capacitors.

** Unless you are talking about "condenser" microphones.

Where the old fashioned name has somehow stuck.

.... Phil

Ralph Mowery

Apr 29, 2017, 10:09:14 AM4/29/17
In article <3da70b7d-0754-4a92...@googlegroups.com>,
palli...@gmail.com says...
Seems that capacitor is most often used in electronics for about the
last 50 to 60 years ,but condenser stuck with the one that goes across
the points on an engine.

rickman

Apr 29, 2017, 10:11:16 AM4/29/17
On 4/25/2017 6:20 PM, bruce2...@gmail.com wrote:
> dca...@krl.org wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:
>> On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:34:08 PM UTC-4, et...@whidbey.com wrote:
>>> I think
>>> the reason for the poor spark must be corroded connections somewhere
>>> in the ignition circuit. But I'm still wondering why they designed the
>>> ignition circuit with a ballast resistor. Anybody know?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric

I don't actually see the rest of this thread, did this question get an
answer?

The reason the resistor is there is to limit the current in the coil
when the ignition is on but the starter is not engaged. When you crank
the starter the batter voltage is low, so the resistor is cut out of the
circuit by a relay or switch to give a good spark. The rest of the time
the resistor is there to limit the current when the battery is at full
voltage.

--

Rick C

rickman

Apr 29, 2017, 10:12:33 AM4/29/17
Just like they still call them points when they are shaped like buttons.

--

Rick C