Sony STR D615 not retaining stations

cowri...@hotmail.com

Nov 22, 2017, 11:06:39 AM11/22/17
I have this receiver and when I lose power, great power company, the station pre-sets are lost and the stations need to be entered again. The manual states that they are retained for up to a month. Is there a battery to replace?

pf...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2017, 11:25:03 AM11/22/17
On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 11:06:39 AM UTC-5, cowri...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have this receiver and when I lose power, great power company, the station pre-sets are lost and the stations need to be entered again. The manual states that they are retained for up to a month. Is there a battery to replace?

There will either be a battery or a capacitor for that purpose. Yes, they wear (out) and yes, replacing it should do it. If you have a schematic, you should be able to trace it, and determine what it is.

Some products, such as Revox and a couple of others, have user-replaceable batteries (AA batteries behind a little door somewhere) I am not sure if Sony ever took this expedient, but if they did it would be in the manual.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

dansabr...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2017, 11:56:42 AM11/22/17
IRRC these units have a 1 Farad capacitor that provides the retainer voltage. This should be about 1/2 round and about 1/4" high. Replace this cap and all should be well again.

Dan

Dave Platt

Nov 22, 2017, 1:55:13 PM11/22/17
>I have this receiver and when I lose power, great power company, the station pre-sets are lost and the
>stations need to be entered again. The manual states that they are retained for up to a month. Is there
>a battery to replace?

Looking at the schematic and parts list (available for free on
HiFiEngine.com once you've registered) it looks to me as if the memory
backup is via C214, a .22F (or 220,000 uF) "double layer" 5.5-volt
capacitor. This is located on the display board, between the
fluorescent display and the TV/LD indicator LED.

These double-layer caps serve as a sort of battery (although they work
differently inside). If it's gotten "leaky" the charge would drain
away and the main IC would lose its standby power and lose its memory.

It can probably be replaced, but the chances are that this would
require desoldering and/or clipping of the old cap's leads, and
soldering in of a new double-layer cap of this sort. I doubt it's in
a socket or battery holder.

This should be done by someone with experience in this sort of repair,
to avoid damaging the display board, other components, or the
technician :-)

cowri...@hotmail.com

Nov 24, 2017, 8:19:35 AM11/24/17
Thanks for all your help. I will order the cap and see how it goes when it comes in. It's been a real pain to have to put the stations in each time.

THANKS