Garmin Nuvi 42 Does not power up with battery

M.Joshi

Dec 7, 2013, 9:25:18 AM12/7/13

I have a Garmin Nuvi 42 GPS device which does not power up from the
battery.

If I remove the battery and apply power via the USB socket, the unit
powers up. As soon as I connect the battery, the unit switches off.

The battery appears to be quite new and a good voltage.

--
M.Joshi

N_Cook

Dec 7, 2013, 10:36:16 AM12/7/13
Is there a mechanical diverter switch inside the USB socket, like inside
simple pin and ring/ dual concentric power connectors?

M.Joshi

Dec 7, 2013, 11:31:11 AM12/7/13

N_Cook;3161821 Wrote:
> On 07/12/2013 14:25, M.Joshi wrote:-
>
> I have a Garmin Nuvi 42 GPS device which does not power up from the
> battery.
>
> If I remove the battery and apply power via the USB socket, the unit
> powers up. As soon as I connect the battery, the unit switches off.
>
> The battery appears to be quite new and a good voltage.
>

> -
>
> Is there a mechanical diverter switch inside the USB socket, like inside
>
> simple pin and ring/ dual concentric power connectors?

Not that I can see - just looks like a normal micro-USB socket (vertical
PCB mounted).

--
M.Joshi

mike

Dec 7, 2013, 1:53:10 PM12/7/13
For the benefit of those of us who can't take apart a Nuvi 42 and look
inside...

Was it working then broke? Or did you buy it used broke?
How do you remove the battery? unsolder wires? unplug? how many
conductors?

What's the battery chemistry? How many cells? I'm gonna assume some
form of lithium,
but I have no idea how old a 42 is.

Where is the battery protection circuit? Integral with the battery? on the
GPS circuit board? Which side of the protection circuit are you measuring?

What's your definiition of good? Battery voltage is determined by
numbers. "Good" is not a number, and it can matter.

What's the voltage on the battery connection where you removed
the battery with the usb plugged in?

Fuses on the board?

Jeff Liebermann

Dec 7, 2013, 7:59:01 PM12/7/13
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:25:18 +0100, M.Joshi
<M.Joshi...@diybanter.com> wrote:

>I have a Garmin Nuvi 42 GPS device which does not power up from the
>battery.
>
>If I remove the battery and apply power via the USB socket, the unit
>powers up. As soon as I connect the battery, the unit switches off.

The warranty is 1 year parts and labor. If you think it's broken,
find your receipt and contact Gamin.
<http://www8.garmin.com/support/warranty.html>

>The battery appears to be quite new and a good voltage.

Appearances don't count for much and assumptions are even worse. From
your description, it sounds like a shorted LiIon battery. Replace
battery:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/360768752873> $11.24
I couldn't find any instructions on the web on how to replace the
battery.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com