LED slow off

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Oct 18, 2019, 2:56:10 AM10/18/19
Is it normal for LEDs to not turn offimmediately?

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com

Andy Burns

Oct 18, 2019, 5:35:07 AM10/18/19
vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> Is it normal for LEDs to not turn offimmediately?

do you mean an actual LED, e.g.
<https://www.petervis.com/electronics/led/led/led-pinout.gif>

in which case no.

Or a mains lamp that uses LED, e.g.
<https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/images/141020-UK/800/70757.jpg>

in which case, it's quite normal for many types to "fade" away as the
internal power supply runs down after it's switched off.

Phil Allison

Oct 18, 2019, 7:24:36 AM10/18/19
Andy Burns wrote:

-----------------
** Correct.

And just to rub the point in, the yellow phosphor that turns the blue LED light into white has no persistence - unlike the phosphors use in fluoro tubes and scope CRTs or TV picture tubes.

.... Phil

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Oct 24, 2019, 6:54:17 PM10/24/19
Thanks. I though it was wierd. New bulb. It has like a circle of little
dots of light which take a bit to shut down. In my mind LEDs should be the
fastest to shut down. I am deathly afraid of halogen because of fires and I
keep wondering if I got halogen instead.

Ralph Mowery

Oct 24, 2019, 7:48:45 PM10/24/19
In article <qota2l$h0t$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com says...
> Thanks. I though it was wierd. New bulb. It has like a circle of little
> dots of light which take a bit to shut down. In my mind LEDs should be the
> fastest to shut down. I am deathly afraid of halogen because of fires and I
> keep wondering if I got halogen instead.

Most of the LED bulbs ( the 40, 60,100 watt replacements) are made up
of a ring of LEDs that are about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch square. The long
4 foot tubes are made up of a string of similar small LEDs. They usually
have capacitors in them that hold a charge that takes a second or two to
fully discharge.

What gets me is the LED tubes that I have. Some come on as soon as the
switch is turned on and some take about 2 seconds to come on.

tabb...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2019, 4:45:41 AM10/25/19
On Thursday, 24 October 2019 23:54:17 UTC+1, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Thanks. I though it was wierd. New bulb. It has like a circle of little
> dots of light which take a bit to shut down. In my mind LEDs should be the
> fastest to shut down. I am deathly afraid of halogen because of fires and I
> keep wondering if I got halogen instead.

LED & hlogen look very different, there's no mistaking them.

NT

Phil Allison

Oct 25, 2019, 4:54:02 AM10/25/19
vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> I am deathly afraid of halogen because of fires and I
> keep wondering if I got halogen instead.

** Well, that is a new phobia to me.

Wot is the fire issue with halogen light bulbs?

None the industry knows of.

..... Phil

Bob Engelhardt

Oct 26, 2019, 10:10:33 AM10/26/19
It's the "ceiling heater" lamps that have/had the issue. The floor
lamps with 200 or 300w bulbs in upward-facing dish reflectors. The fire
hazard was from curtains getting blown on top of the lamps & catching fire.

tabb...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2019, 11:20:43 AM10/26/19
I thought this was fairly well known.

NT

Tim R

Oct 29, 2019, 8:25:30 AM10/29/19
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 7:48:45 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

> What gets me is the LED tubes that I have. Some come on as soon as the
> switch is turned on and some take about 2 seconds to come on.

Mine do that too. The delay is perceptible and different from the tube fluorescent in the same room.