CRT Monitor Philips black screen when cold

Steinway

Jan 29, 2011, 11:01:12 AM1/29/11
Hallo!
My CRT monitor, Philips 109B, has black screen after 2 seconds when it is
cold: the picture becomes bigger and fades away.
If I turn it off and turn on, the picture again becomes bigger and fades
out.
When it is warm, after 20-30 minutes, if I turn it off and turn on, the
screen appears and works very good.
Could it be a cap?
Thank you!
S.

Jamie

Jan 29, 2011, 1:17:41 PM1/29/11
Steinway wrote:

Get your solder iron out and start cleaning up those joints..

Jamie

N_Cook

Jan 29, 2011, 1:51:32 PM1/29/11
Jamie <jamie_ka1lpa_not_v...@charter.net> wrote in message

If the picture is changing X and Y dimensions then an acceleration voltage
is playing up, reducing magnitude leading to increasing dimensions but
fading image

circuit

Jan 29, 2011, 7:46:59 PM1/29/11
bad cap in the flyback xfmr

"Steinway" <slkjdskd> wrote in message

Fred

Jan 30, 2011, 1:26:15 AM1/30/11
"Steinway" <slkjdskd> wrote in

Junk it! It's time to upgrade to a flatscreen.

A new flatscreen twice as big as the CRT and a hundred kilos lighter
costs half as much as fixing the old CRT.

Sylvia Else

Jan 30, 2011, 3:13:38 AM1/30/11

Depends how much it costs to fix the CRT. If it's a bad cap, it might be
obvious which one just by looking at it (bulging top and/or leaking),
and the fix, excluding the OP's time, may cost a few dollars.

The OP should of course make sure he's aware of the hazards associated
with CRTs even when there's no power applied.

Sylvia.

Steinway

Jan 30, 2011, 3:20:17 AM1/30/11

"Sylvia Else" <syl...@not.here.invalid> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Depends how much it costs to fix the CRT. If it's a bad cap, it might be
> obvious which one just by looking at it (bulging top and/or leaking), and
> the fix, excluding the OP's time, may cost a few dollars.
>
> The OP should of course make sure he's aware of the hazards associated
> with CRTs even when there's no power applied.
>
> Sylvia.

In fact I'd like to repair it myself, without OP's time - if I can't repair
it, I buy another monitor :)

Steinway

Jan 30, 2011, 3:27:50 AM1/30/11

"circuit" <cir...@123456.tv> ha scritto nel messaggio

> bad cap in the flyback xfmr

Thank you!

Sylvia Else

Jan 30, 2011, 3:31:31 AM1/30/11

I'm confused, or perhaps just befuzzled. Aren't you the OP (original
poster)?

Sylvia.

Steinway

Jan 30, 2011, 4:33:52 AM1/30/11

> I'm confused, or perhaps just befuzzled. Aren't you the OP (original
> poster)?
>
> Sylvia.

Yes, I am the original poster, Steinway!

Fred

Jan 31, 2011, 2:43:39 PM1/31/11
Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote in news:8qkkteFd62U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Depends how much it costs to fix the CRT. If it's a bad cap, it might be
> obvious which one just by looking at it (bulging top and/or leaking),
> and the fix, excluding the OP's time, may cost a few dollars.
>
> The OP should of course make sure he's aware of the hazards associated
> with CRTs even when there's no power applied.
>
> Sylvia.

OP's savings in electric bill ALONE justifies buying the new LCD, even if
he can fix it for free.

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 31, 2011, 3:53:38 PM1/31/11

That depends on how much use it gets.