Laptop Battery Charging

jurb...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2015, 9:01:58 PM10/14/15
My laptop doesn't always charge the battery. I have seen it read "32 % not charging" and similar. I have read a bit on it and it seems if you never use it on the battery it might do this. However in my case it seems to be like intermittent or something.

The thing runs Vista Hoe Premium. (that is a typo I kept !) Looking in power management I see nothing that could reinitiate charging. This battery did charge in the other PC, and the battery that belongs in this one did charge and is at 92 %. so I switch it out and the other battery does not even start to boot, so it is below the threshold of operation. I doubt it is completely dead though. We used to keep it charged.

It is a Gateway P series laptop. Well laptopS. I got three. I bought four, one was defective and I lost out due to the warranty expiring before I even booted it up. One got stolen, and when that asshole gets out of jail I am going to smack him upside the head with something made of metal. So I got two of these things running, mine which I am on and just today changed the keyboard, and the other which I gave to my sister but she has no real interest in it. I ran that for a day and could not stand it, I should just clone this thing to it really and have a real solid backup. Hers has seemingly unresolvable browser issues and a few OS peculiarities that really get under my skin. She would probably rather run it the way I set it up if she ever has to. Plus I got a bunch of irreplaceable software. She would have to get used to it but now she has a new one and is getting used to Win 8. So
I can pretty much do what I want with it.

Anyway, I am deathly afraid of fucking with BIOS/CMOS in this thing because that caused the one's HD to totally lock up. It is a known problem with the WD1600BEVT, easy to find on the web. I KNOW there is a fault in the mobo of that one and ??I suspect that brought it on. I cannot do the procedure to unlock it, if I could I would and use it because I could use the space. It is less trouble to just use my network. Also, the good HD is actually running, I just have to fix it up. Cloning it would be a stopgap thing, but really there is no real data on that one.

Anyway, I am not sure how to proceed here. I would prefer not to reset the CMOS or any of that because of that risk, however remote I would be F U C K E D R O Y A L.

Right now I am able to download and burn the ISO for the OS of both these machines, and actually I have another that would benefit by that maybe, have to check the version. The problem is these things have built in cameras and finding drivers might be a PITA.

Whatever advice, throw it up here. And Jeff Leiberman, the de facto expert on batteries, I want to hear what you have to say. I just do not want to change anything else, just make it at least try to charge the batteries. If it finds out they are no good OK. But I doubt they are bad. Even in view of the age. They were used some, but not alot. And I got one that is pretty damn good after all these years. They are also rather large I think compared to others.

It is like the battery and screen are the best features of these things. They are not all that fast, the built in cameras suck, the sound sucks. But you know what ? this is what I got and I cannot afford to go out and buy another one and even if I did I have no interest in a newer OS. I just now got this one tamed.

Bottom line is that I really do not use these things mobile all that much, but I want to maintain the batteries as long as possible. People have freaked out over how long my laptop will run, theirs get two years old and they have trouble getting fifteen minutes out of them. Mine out in the garage feeds the garage stereo with a concert that lasts like two hours and the thing is still reading like 70 %. And that used to be on all the batteries.

I know this is too long, just skin though the uninteresting parts I guess.

Thanks.

Wond

Oct 15, 2015, 1:04:16 PM10/15/15
On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:01:52 -0700, jurb6006 wrote:

> My laptop doesn't always charge the battery. I have seen it read "32 %
> not charging" and similar. I have read a bit on it and it seems if you
> never use it on the battery it might do this. However in my case it
> seems to be like intermittent or something.

(snip)
Li-ion batteries that don't get any exercise can often be restored by
cycling. Leave the laptop playing a movie, on battery, "til it quits.
Recharge it, turned off, 'til full, and repeat. The time taken to charge
fully gets longer as you repeat, if its going to work. 3 or 4 reps. HTH.

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Oct 25, 2015, 3:22:55 PM10/25/15

Sometimes I get a different problem, the adaptor plug isn't fully in!!!

I wish I had seen the other reply before buying a new battery..

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm