House-sitting for millenials

DaveC

Apr 24, 2016, 1:31:58 AM4/24/16
“How do I turn off the bathroom light?”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbXWbQ-W8AAwSA8.jpg

DJ Delorie

Apr 24, 2016, 4:37:18 PM4/24/16

That reminds me of the time I was writing the software to control the
air conditioner (both in the wall thermostats and on the web), and my
wife yelled at me because she couldn't figure out how to make the house
cooler.

New general rule: if your wife can't figure out how to use it, you've
failed.

bitrex

Apr 24, 2016, 4:42:04 PM4/24/16
On 04/24/2016 01:31 AM, DaveC wrote:
> “How do I turn off the bathroom light?”
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbXWbQ-W8AAwSA8.jpg

probably fake.

but I did see a young woman walk right into a convenience store door
once, because she thought it would open automatically.

She was Asian, though, looked like not a native so I don't really blame
her. I blame America for being less technologically sophisticated than
Bulgaria.

MJC

Apr 24, 2016, 5:38:51 PM4/24/16
In article <tcaTy.19220$Uj7....@fx01.iad>, bit...@de.lete.earthlink.net
says...

> but I did see a young woman walk right into a convenience store door
> once, because she thought it would open automatically.

Conversely, years ago I saw a middle-aged lady walk backwards out onto
the pavement (=sidewalk) because her hands were full and she expected to
have to open the shop door with her back (but didn't!)...

Mike.

krw

Apr 24, 2016, 6:27:01 PM4/24/16
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 16:42:01 -0400, bitrex
<bit...@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 04/24/2016 01:31 AM, DaveC wrote:
>> “How do I turn off the bathroom light?”
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbXWbQ-W8AAwSA8.jpg
>>

>probably fake.
>
>but I did see a young woman walk right into a convenience store door
>once, because she thought it would open automatically.

Of course the fact that she wasn't watching where she was going was of
no consequence.

>She was Asian, though, looked like not a native so I don't really blame
>her. I blame America for being less technologically sophisticated than
>Bulgaria.

Only a lefty would think Bulgaria was in Asia.

krw

Apr 24, 2016, 6:30:14 PM4/24/16
There is an expectation thing, too. My wife was sitting in the cold
because she said she didn't know how to turn up the smart thermostat.
"Here, twist this thingy (grabs big ring on thermostat) and this
needle thing points to the temperature and these numbers...". She
expected it to be hard but it was just like any other.

thekma...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2016, 9:24:26 AM4/25/16
DaveC:

I will never for as long as i live allow "apps"
to control anything in my house!

pf...@aol.com

Apr 25, 2016, 10:57:23 AM4/25/16
Apples and oranges. The woman was Asian. Bulgaria is a small eastern European nation not known for its technical prowess. Only a pinfeather reactionary would confuse the issue and attempt to mix a metaphor based on that confusion.

We have switches, but a smart thermostat with an outside air sensor. The boiler will vary output water temperature as well, making for very steady interior temperatures in cold weather. Basic feedback devices, nothing much special.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

et...@whidbey.com

Apr 25, 2016, 1:19:00 PM4/25/16
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 06:24:23 -0700 (PDT), thekma...@gmail.com
wrote:

>DaveC:
>
>I will never for as long as i live allow "apps"
>to control anything in my house!
Hear! Hear! I look at devices for the IoT and how your home can be
controlled while you are away, and how the doors unlock when you are
close enough and so on an then I think about how easy stuff is to
hack.
Eric