My 1999 Toyota 4Runner digital clock is kaput (any ideas?)

Y Knot

Sep 21, 2010, 2:14:24 AM9/21/10
Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

Adrian C

Sep 21, 2010, 6:53:02 AM9/21/10
On 21/09/2010 07:14, Y Knot wrote:
> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

plasma cutter

--
Adrian C

JW

Sep 21, 2010, 7:13:05 AM9/21/10
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:53:02 +0100 Adrian C <em...@here.invalid> wrote in
Message id: <8frh4c...@mid.individual.net>:

>On 21/09/2010 07:14, Y Knot wrote:
>> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?
>
>plasma cutter

Angle grinder. (Here we go again.)

Nancy Young

Sep 21, 2010, 7:16:11 AM9/21/10
Y Knot wrote:
> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

A stick on clock over it?

nancy

PeterD

Sep 21, 2010, 7:27:48 AM9/21/10

Air chisel.

PeterD

Sep 21, 2010, 7:28:37 AM9/21/10
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:14:24 +0000 (UTC), Y Knot <yk...@unut.com>
wrote:

>Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

Junk yard?

Personally, for something that old, I'd just get a cheap stick on
clock from the local chinese crap stuff sellers...

Archon

Sep 21, 2010, 8:59:15 AM9/21/10
On 9/21/2010 2:14 AM, Y Knot wrote:
> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?
Ebay is your friend :

&lt;URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clock-Toyota-4Runner-96-02-4-Runner-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e58f6496dQQitemZ130341554541QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories&gt;

If the link doesn't work search Ebay item 130341554541

JC

aemeijers

Sep 21, 2010, 10:21:12 AM9/21/10
On 9/21/2010 2:14 AM, Y Knot wrote:
> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

If you have to ask, it is probably beyond your skill set. But have you
tried taking it out and cleaning all the connections, looking for bare
or shorted wires, etc? No idea how many boards and bells and whistles
the thing has, but unless it has trip functions or something, most are
pretty simple. Wander around in the junkyard, and see if any other years
and models are interchangeable. Does it not show numbers at all, or is
the light just out? If the latter, the bulbs are usually replaceable.

The folks over in the Toyota truck groups may have better suggestions
and hints.

--
aem sends...

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Sep 21, 2010, 12:47:40 PM9/21/10
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:21:12 -0400, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net>
wrote:

First, the OBVIOUS. Are BOTH fuses good? It needs 2 power sources (and
on some a third for lighting or dimming.

If they are all good the wreckers are your friend. I believe pickup
clocks also fit - and there used to be several applications where by
changing the plastic you could use a totally different application's
clock.

Plain...@yawho.com

Sep 21, 2010, 6:30:36 PM9/21/10
wrote:

>Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?
Why bother. It's accurate twice a day; more than you could say when
it was 'working'.

PlainBill

camryguy

Sep 21, 2010, 7:58:59 PM9/21/10
On Sep 21, 3:14 am, Y Knot <yk...@unut.com> wrote:
> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

Hi there, I had a similar problem with my 2000 Camry LE. I went to the
dealer to get a new one, but they quoted me 300+ tax. I went on Ebay
and found someone who would fix the clock and ship it back to me. That
was about 2.5 yrs ago and the clock is still working fine. Mine is the
external thermometer/clock combo. I think it was around 50 bucks for
the shipping and repair.

I believe this was the guy that did it:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Toyota-Camry-Corolla-4Runner-Matrix-Clock-/200495187786?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eae71c74a

Steve Barker

Sep 21, 2010, 8:40:57 PM9/21/10
On 9/21/2010 1:14 AM, Y Knot wrote:
> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

ya, run it off in a river and buy an American car.

--
Steve Barker

Hachiroku ハチロク

Sep 21, 2010, 10:52:30 PM9/21/10
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:40:57 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

> On 9/21/2010 1:14 AM, Y Knot wrote:
>> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?
>
> ya, run it off in a river and buy an American car.

Why would he want a downgrade?

--
You keep your K00L-Aid.
I'll have TEA.

Kruse

Sep 22, 2010, 7:38:02 AM9/22/10
On Sep 21, 9:52 pm, Hachiroku ハチロク <anonym...@not-for-mail.invalid>
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:40:57 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
> > On 9/21/2010 1:14 AM, Y Knot wrote:
> >> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?
>
> > ya, run it off in a river and buy an American car.
>
> Why would he want a downgrade?

Maybe he's tired of taking a Toyota in every other week for the
recalls.........

Kruse

Sep 22, 2010, 7:38:46 AM9/22/10

An old joke that probably doesn't apply to a digital clock.

Michael A. Terrell

Sep 22, 2010, 8:05:07 AM9/22/10

It's never right, and it's never wrong. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.

notbob

Sep 22, 2010, 10:44:50 AM9/22/10
On 2010-09-21, Y Knot <yk...@unut.com> wrote:
> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

You'd be better off asking in a toyota centric newsgroup. There's at
least three high traffic toyota groups in the alt.autos domain,
including trucks.

nb

Hachiroku ハチロク

Sep 23, 2010, 2:47:31 PM9/23/10

I know. My 1985 Corolla and my 1995 Tercel were both recalled for the
EXACT SAME THING! Ten years apart, and you would think they would learn to
tighten the ground screw on the radio antenna properly!

Jeeze, I tell ya.

Ron D.

Sep 24, 2010, 2:17:23 PM9/24/10
Disconnect + terminal of battery. Turn ignition switch to on. Take +
cable and touch to ground for 1 minute. turn ignition off.
Reconnect.
Worked for me.

On Sep 23, 2:47 pm, Hachiroku ハチロク <anonym...@not-for-mail.invalid>

Hachiroku ハチロク

Sep 24, 2010, 4:12:58 PM9/24/10
On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:17:23 -0700, Ron D. wrote:

> Disconnect + terminal of battery. Turn ignition switch to on. Take +
> cable and touch to ground for 1 minute. turn ignition off.
> Reconnect.
> Worked for me.

In that it.....?

--
It says Last...In...Kadora
Gimme that! "La Stinkadora"

SF Man

Sep 24, 2010, 6:50:33 PM9/24/10
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:14:24 +0000 (UTC), Y Knot wrote:

> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

Over on the Toyota forums, people rewire the Toyota digital clock circuit
board for free!

It's a very common problem with Toyota.

There is also a $30 service that will re-wire the clock for you.

But since you posted in a.h.r, you should be able to solder the circuit
board yourself and you get four solid genuine silver springs for free out
of the deal!

Read the DIY:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/72291-solved-details-3rd-generation-4runner-digital-clock-revived-tooth-surgery.html

Ron D.

Sep 25, 2010, 2:26:48 PM9/25/10
H:
There is fundamental physics behind the fix. I've fixed a toyota
clock, an
Hp calculator and bike speedometer that way. Circuitry must be CMOS.

larry moe 'n curly

Sep 26, 2010, 7:59:10 PM9/26/10

Y Knot wrote:

> Any ideas how to fix the $250 Toyota 4Runner digital clock?

The experts at sci.electronics.repair do. How about ToyotaNation.com?

I'd check solder joints and electrolytic capacitors. Clocks have one
voltage regulator for the logic, and it could be a 5V linear one or a
switching regulator. The display uses either high voltage DC for
fluorescent displays, a low voltage (roughly 15V) AC source for LCDs.
Any switching regulator can have electrolytic capacitors wear out.
Replace them with Japanese ones from Mouser.com, BDent.com, or
DigiKey.com.

Y Knot

Sep 27, 2010, 1:28:57 AM9/27/10
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:59:10 -0700, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> How about ToyotaNation.com?

I fixed the $250 Toyota digital clock, for free!
The problem was the power connection is flaky.
I removed four silver springs.
I then pulled the pins off the harness connector.
I soldered those pins onto the Toyota digital clock circuit board.

When I put it all back together, the clock magically works now.

Here's the DIY I followed.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/67508-3rd-gen-dash-clock-
fix-3.html

Hachiroku

Sep 27, 2010, 4:32:16 PM9/27/10
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:59:10 -0700, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

LMC, is that YOU?!?!

Hachiroku

Sep 27, 2010, 4:32:47 PM9/27/10

Excellent.