Silicone rubber , longterm structural integrity

N_Cook

Sep 20, 2015, 5:06:33 AM9/20/15
Last week I came across some NOS fine bore silicone sleeving. It was
dated 1978. Firstly I did not realise it went back that far, in fact at
least 20 years before that. No sign of greasiness, britalness ,
cracking, breaking with stretching only at the normal amout of stretch
or lack of restitution after stretching. It could have been made this
year. I was always a bit concerned about using silicone rubber for
replacement flat rubber drive bands in cassette tape units etc. Still
leaves the possibility of silicone rubber used in a dynamic way, flexing
round motor pulleys , but so far so good, after about 10 years of such use