Could've been worse......................

Ian Field

Jul 30, 2016, 3:11:20 PM7/30/16
The DVD player tray jammed and wouldn't eject the disk.

After undoing a surprisingly large number of screws to get the case open - I
noticed the rectifier/reservoir electrolytic was starting to bulge.

First one of those I've seen fail in quite a while. Its nearly always the
secondary side caps.

thekma...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2016, 8:15:21 PM7/30/16
Engineered to fail...

Ian Field

Jul 31, 2016, 3:44:08 PM7/31/16

<thekma...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Engineered to fail...

I'm thinking just a crap quality cap on the BR, its usually the secondary
side caps that fail.

It was rescued from the bin room at the flats, so I don't know its history.
Occasionally the tray would eject and retract immediately, so you have to
grab the DVD quick - apart from that, it worked fine. So far I've found a
replacement cap, but not got around to lifting the PCB out. For all I know,
someone could've already re capped the secondary side.

Ian Field

Aug 1, 2016, 3:03:42 PM8/1/16

"asdf" <as...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Capacitor bulging aside, most (all?) PC CD/DVD players have a small hole
> in the front tray cover where a thin wire/hairpin can be pushed to open
> the tray manually. Not sure about stand alone players though.

My other DVD player has - but only because I pulled the plastic bit off the
front.