Re: Low drain NiMh - a first leak, AA cell

Rheilly Phoull

Dec 9, 2017, 6:34:41 PM12/9/17
On 9/12/2017 4:03 PM, Charlie+ wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 07:57:30 +0000, Charlie+ <cha...@xxx.net> wrote as
> underneath :
>
>> Just thaught I'd mention here what might be a freak one off!
>> Been using AA PP3 AAA low self drain NiMh cells for years without any
>> leakage like is usual with alkalines.
>> I baught about 40x of AA size roughly 8-10 years ago, 2000 mA headline
>> capacity. Used and abused them ever since, but if abused (reverse
>> charged etc in error), I always mark the cell.
>> Head-light torch has three AA - went dim - one cell of the three had
>> dropped down to 0.8V the other 2 were at 1.25 so examination showed 2 or
>> 3 small pinprick areas of corrosion on the neg. end of the cell, not in
>> the main contact area, near the rim. dropped into glass of hot water
>> produced a shower of bubbles, so definitely a proper leak.
>> Not much sign of electrolyte damage so I guess that the cell had been
>> gently drying itself out for some time.
> (Sorry Pressed the send button by mistake!)
> My guess is that there was an inclusion fault in the original sheet
> metal case of this cell... just thaught Id post in case others might
> have had similar faults and its not a one off? C+

Have we had any problems with leaking batteries ??

how long have you got ???? :-)

~misfit~

Dec 21, 2017, 7:22:16 PM12/21/17
Once upon a time on usenet Charlie+ wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:34:33 +0800, Rheilly Phoull
> <frog...@iinet.net.au> wrote as underneath :
> I refer above specificly to low self drain NiMh (ie Eneloop type,
> though that is a brand name)!
> Judging by the response level here a failure of one of these is very
> unusual indeed...
> C+

I note that yours is not an Eneloop and you're avoiding posting the brand
name so am assuming it's a cheaper brand LSD NiMH cell.

You get what you pay for.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Andy Burns

Dec 22, 2017, 1:50:10 PM12/22/17
~misfit~ wrote:

> I note that yours is not an Eneloop and you're avoiding posting the brand
> name so am assuming it's a cheaper brand LSD NiMH cell.
>
> You get what you pay for.

My Sony Cyclenergy 2000 LSD cells retain more capacity after 8+ years
than my LIDL Tronic "2400" LSD cells had the day they left the shop ...

Andy Burns

Dec 24, 2017, 4:08:39 AM12/24/17
Charlie+ wrote:

> Yes I think any AA cell claims of over 2000mAh for LSD need a sceptical
> eye!

Just run four of the LIDL "2400mAh" cells through a
discharge/charge/discharge sequence on my charger at 200mA, they
achieved between 1146 and 1224mAh, you can tell their capacity is
misstated merely by their weight.

Andy Burns

Dec 28, 2017, 5:39:13 PM12/28/17
Charlie+ wrote:

> Drat! Just baught some of those Lidl multicoloured LSD packs for
> grandchildren Xmas presents, I didnt read the 2400 capacity claim (my
> goof), these sound a really bad buy if your right. Did you cycle them a
> few times prior to measurement? C+

Only cycled 2-3 times.

Previous LIDL red cells and black cells have been fine, the bad ones
here are mainly silver not multi-coloured, you'll certainly tell they're
"underweight" as soon as you pick them up if they're the same innards.

~misfit~

Jan 2, 2018, 12:22:15 AM1/2/18
Yep. I stick with Eneloop. They might only quote 75% of the power of some
brands but it's real capacity and is useful for hundreds of cycles.

I love my Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne charger. It cost me quite a bit back in
the day but it's still going strong and it keeps my cells in great
condition.