Before I break this connector...

David Farber

Aug 26, 2016, 2:58:42 PM8/26/16
I'd like to know if there is way to tell ahead of time how to remove this
cable. I've found that trial and error can lead to unrecoverable errors! By
the way, this is (I think) the display connector to the Tascam DL-44WL that
I posted about yesterday. I would like to remove it before turning the board
upside down to get to the display.

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/images/Electronics/Tascam/DR-44WL-connector.jpg

Thanks for your replies.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Andy Burns

Aug 26, 2016, 3:39:43 PM8/26/16
David Farber wrote:
> I'd like to know if there is way to tell ahead of time how to remove this
> cable.
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/images/Electronics/Tascam/DR-44WL-connector.jpg

Just a guess, but it looks like the black "comb" would tilt upwards and
stop pinching the flat flex ... possibly FPC type connector.

David Farber

Aug 26, 2016, 3:59:00 PM8/26/16
We have a winner! Thanks Andy. I gently lifted that "comb" and it easily
came up.

Chuck

Aug 26, 2016, 4:06:43 PM8/26/16
With your finger nail , lift up the gray plastic tab. It is hinged on
the back.

---

David Farber

Aug 26, 2016, 4:15:04 PM8/26/16
That worked!

Thanks.

Ian Field

Aug 26, 2016, 4:23:46 PM8/26/16

"David Farber" <farberbe...@aol.com> wrote in message
There's also the "wedge" type that jams the cable in - they just slide out
slightly instead of flipping up.

David Farber

Aug 26, 2016, 4:33:09 PM8/26/16
Hi Ian,

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if there were some type of universal marking on the
connector so we'd know ahead of time where to pull? I thought I'd make sure
this time by asking first. (-:

Thanks for your reply.

avag...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 6:00:19 PM8/26/16

David Farber

Aug 27, 2016, 12:13:15 AM8/27/16
> appear rational and concise. But always use a tool .. And 3 hands.
>
> CRC electronics cleaner followed with CRC silicone from Wal are
> useful thru dusty coverings.

That clamrake will let you do four connectors at once!

avag...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2016, 12:07:32 PM8/27/16
MY INTRO was a dead fan in a Dell 1750 ? Vista. Directions from UK.

tool found was a single shaft pick, formerly screwdriver, then bent into a 90 so the lower leg spanned the connector for reassembly. a 2 prong pick is better for apart.

we are thankful for vinyl esters .....