Glass fibre basket retainer for 5881/6L6

N_Cook

Jul 31, 2010, 6:07:31 AM7/31/10
Owner has managed to get away with dragons teeth retaining clips digging
into the glass envelope of his replacement type with no bakelite base . How
to fabricate something approximating those woven glass mesh baskets that go
over the envelope and then a pair of springs down to the chassis or any
other ideas other than replacing with based envelope types ?

Incidently the first thing I did was undo the screws of the dragons teeth in
hope of relieving some of the teeth force before removing the valves , but
was that the correct approach?

Meat Plow

Jul 31, 2010, 9:02:30 AM7/31/10

Make something like Marshall used. Metal cap and springs.

N_Cook

Jul 31, 2010, 9:20:52 AM7/31/10
Meat Plow <mhy...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I don't fancy making a pierced metal dome shape, that has to avoid the
fragile central area of the glass dome. So far I'm thinking of a length of
high temp glass sleeving knotted into a ring, slightly smaller than envelope
circumference, with a balancing "knot" on the other side. Then silicone
sleeving or springs and glass sleeving down to a pair of solder tags as
anchors. Nasty dragons teeth chips in the bottles but they survived

Meat Plow

Jul 31, 2010, 11:02:54 AM7/31/10

I think making an approximation of the Marshall device is your best bet.
They seem to not harm the glass in any I've worked on. And putting those
kind of 5881's in a jaw clamp is just plain idiotic. Especially if the
tubes hang.

N_Cook

Jul 31, 2010, 12:03:38 PM7/31/10

Another awkwardness of the Marshall ones is the tension points must be a
good inch below the bottle tops and part wrap around to avoid sliding off.
Yes underslung 2002 German Engl E320 50W combo.
First time I've come across one of these , to do anything you have to take
the whole amp to bits. Surprisingly 2 plain washers were split, probably
from using a windy-drill to torque up. Even the maker's ECC83 retainers are
an awkward bodge-up, not even fully screening.

Dave M

Jul 31, 2010, 5:29:56 PM7/31/10

You can buy the spring retainer clamps (similar to the Marshall, et al.
clamps) from Antique Electronic Supply (www.tubesandmore.com) for $1.95
USD each. A pittance compared to the value of the labor needed to
manufacture a kluge in your shop, even with international 1st class
postage.

See them in the Vacuum Tube Accessories area.
http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=VTUBEACC&SEARCH_TREE02=04_SHIELDS

Cheers,
Dave M

Gareth Magennis

Aug 1, 2010, 12:18:07 PM8/1/10

"Dave M" <mason...@comcast.net> wrote in message

You can buy them in the UK too for £1.50 a pop.

http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?id=6&man=83

Gareth.

Meat Plow

Aug 1, 2010, 12:20:37 PM8/1/10

Cook always prefers a Kludge first and then as a last resort purchasing
the right thing :)

Geo

Aug 1, 2010, 3:48:36 PM8/1/10
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:07:31 +0100, "N_Cook" <div...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

>Owner has managed to get away with dragons teeth retaining clips digging
>into the glass envelope of his replacement type with no bakelite base . How
>to fabricate something approximating those woven glass mesh baskets that go
>over the envelope and then a pair of springs down to the chassis or any
>other ideas other than replacing with based envelope types ?

Couple of possibilites on Ebay (UK)?
380227807270
350254990186

--
Geo

hr(bob) hofmann@att.net

Aug 3, 2010, 10:29:55 PM8/3/10
On Jul 31, 11:03 am, "N_Cook" <dive...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> Meat Plow <mhyw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:20:52 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
>
> > > Meat Plow <mhyw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> an awkward bodge-up, not even fully screening.- Hide quoted text -

For those of us on the west side of the big pond, are you talking
about shields or about mounting clips to hold the tubes in place when
they are mounted other than pins down??

N_Cook

Aug 4, 2010, 3:33:37 AM8/4/10
hr(bob) hof...@att.net <hrho...@att.net> wrote in message

reply

Not shields , these are output devices. We would call them retainers , just
to keep the valve in its socket , especially when upside down like here. Of
course shields also retain usually, dual function

hr(bob) hofmann@att.net

Aug 5, 2010, 10:31:49 PM8/5/10
On Aug 4, 2:33 am, "N_Cook" <dive...@tcp.co.uk> wrote:
> hr(bob) hofm...@att.net <hrhofm...@att.net> wrote in message
> course shields also retain usually, dual function- Hide quoted text -

I went to the web site in an earlier message. THey had retainers and
shields. I had never seen retainers of the type they showed. So I
learned something new.