Still need these tubes for my drug store tube tester

Terry Schwartz

Jul 30, 2018, 10:11:33 PM7/30/18
Late era TV tubes. I pay shipping + nominal pricing. Must be in original boxes.
Terry

3DZ4 medium mu triode
6BK7/6BQ7 twin triode uhf preamp
6BS8 dual triode
6DS4 triode rf amp
6EV5 sharp cutoff tetrode vhf amp
6GK6 beam power pentode audio/video amp
6KD8 triode pentode vhf osc mixer
10JV8 10JY8 triode pentode sync vid amp
12AE6 double diode triode det amp car radio
12AF6 pentode amp car radio
12DS7 duplex diode tetrode auto radio
12K5 tetrode auto radio pwr amp
15CW5 pentode af amp
36AM3 1/2 wave rectifier
2AS2 hv rect
6AF11 double triode pentode agc sync video amp
6AL11 beam power pentode fm det & audio
6AR11 twin pentode if amp
6AX3 damper diode
6EW7 double triode v osc v amp
6HE5 pentode v amp
6Q11/6K11 triple triode sync clipper & agc
12AY3 1/2 wave rect damper
5U4/5V3 full wave rect
6BY5 double diode damper, rect
6DQ6 beam pentode h defl amp
6GT5 beam pentode h defl amp
6GW6 beam pentode h defl amp
6JE6 beam pentode h defl amp
21HJ5 beam pentode h defl amp
25CD6/25DN6 beam pentode h defl amp

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 6:15:55 AM7/31/18
Aren't drug store pyrex glass tubes used for smoking rock cocaine?

jurb...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 4:58:29 PM7/31/18
>"Aren't drug store pyrex glass tubes used for smoking rock cocaine? "

I can see it now...

"Dude, you gotta load that kush into this beam power tube, it's a blast".

The Real Bev

Jul 31, 2018, 5:03:10 PM7/31/18
Is everybody here too young to know what a drugstore tube tester is?
Damn! The drugstore testers were crap; you needed to go to the REAL
electronics store and use the REAL tube tester if you were serious.

I hope the guy is trying to put together an old one, complete with its
proper complement of replacement tubes. We shouldn't forget our history.

--
Cheers, Bev
Horn broken. Watch for finger.

Ralph Mowery

Jul 31, 2018, 6:21:01 PM7/31/18
In article <pjqiqb$ksl$1...@dont-email.me>, bashl...@gmail.com says...

> Is everybody here too young to know what a drugstore tube tester is?
> Damn! The drugstore testers were crap; you needed to go to the REAL
> electronics store and use the REAL tube tester if you were serious.
>
> I hope the guy is trying to put together an old one, complete with its
> proper complement of replacement tubes. We shouldn't forget our history.

Many were set so that a tube that was on the low end of being good would
show up as bad. More sales that way.

It always paid to plug in the new tube just to see how well it tested.
If not much difference, keep the old one.

Fox's Mercantile

Jul 31, 2018, 6:59:23 PM7/31/18
On 7/31/18 4:03 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> I hope the guy is trying to put together an old one, complete with its
> proper complement of replacement tubes.  We shouldn't forget our history.

That's exactly what Terry is up to.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Terry Schwartz

Jul 31, 2018, 7:16:09 PM7/31/18
Thanks Jeff.

I am filling the drawers : https://www.flickr.com/photos/32165280@N02/albums/72157674341385913

32 tubes to go.

Terry

The Real Bev

Jul 31, 2018, 11:08:34 PM7/31/18
Excellent!

--
Cheers, Bev
When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2018, 1:14:26 AM8/1/18
A lot of this stuff is down-right microscopic today. Or will be pretty soon.

Phil Allison

Aug 6, 2018, 7:10:14 AM8/6/18
Terry Schwartz wrote:

> Late era TV tubes. I pay shipping + nominal pricing.
> Must be in original boxes.
> Terry
>

> 6Q11/6K11 triple triode sync clipper & agc

** Sought after by Ampeg guitar amp owners, damn had to fine any.

12-pin Compactron used in the tone circuits.

> 6DQ6 beam pentode h defl amp

** I have just one of these in good condition with box.

Tens of thousands used in Aussie B&W TV sets in the 1960s.

Also used as a P-P output pair in some Australian made guitar amps rated at 40 watts ( see Goldentone or Playmaster) has an anode cap so eliminates the chance of socket flash overs.

.... Phil

Terry Schwartz

Aug 6, 2018, 10:10:37 AM8/6/18
I love it when the guitar amp guys review tubes as if they are fine coffees or beers.

"A warm sound, rich in dramatic overtones, just the essential level of comforting distortion. Tasteful notes of chocolate and ginger, with a lingering smooth afterglow of mossy oak and a slightly pungent woodsy ambiance."

Guess I won't be finding THAT tube for my tester.

Peter Easthope

Aug 6, 2018, 10:33:09 AM8/6/18
Hello Terry,

Main Electronics in Vancouver, Canada had a large collection of
tubes in their basement. The business is gone but contacts for
the tubes are at the foot of this page.
http://www.mainelectronics.com/

John's Jukes also had an extensive collection of vintage parts.
They remain in business. https://www.flippers.com/
John's Jukes, 7-3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC V5J 5E3

Regards, ... Peter E.

Terry Schwartz

Aug 6, 2018, 10:45:22 AM8/6/18
Thank you Peter!

jurb...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2018, 12:06:59 PM8/6/18
You mean your tester doesn't have a chocolate and ginger meter ?

Primitive device...

The Real Bev

Aug 8, 2018, 12:07:00 AM8/8/18
Needs Monster cables to work properly. I thought everybody knew that.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We thought about one of those discount store caskets, but,

John Robertson

Aug 8, 2018, 1:43:48 AM8/8/18
I bought up most of Main Electronics' semiconductors, potentiometers,
relays, wire, fuses, Velleman kits, and other odds and ends. Hope to add
it all to the online store over the next while.

The tubes went to another person, who I understand picked out what he
wanted then sold off the rest. I had considered buying the tubes, but
hadn't a clue what to offer, they had several thousand of them mostly
NOS. So I let them go to a tube guy.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Terry Schwartz

Aug 16, 2018, 9:28:26 PM8/16/18
11 part numbers left to find! Please help me close this project out.

Terry

3DZ4 medium mu triode
2AS2 hv rect
6HE5 pentode v amp
6Q11/6K11 triple triode sync clipper & agc
12AY3 1/2 wave rect damper
6BY5 double diode damper, rect

jurb...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2018, 7:50:42 PM8/26/18
You might want to contact this guy on CL. He doesn't give a list but if you offer him more money he will probably try to find what you want.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/d/tubes-new/6668308516.html

jurb...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2018, 5:02:47 PM8/31/18
2AS2
6Q/K11

Those are ones I have heard of.

6JE6

That one I know, used many of them. it was superseded by the 6LQ6 and then the last better one was the 6MJ6. I know that is not the point.

Some techs said that using the MJ for a JE would burn up the flyback. Of course because the H out is running brute force and it was shunt regulated. I THINK those used the 6BK4. You could see a red glow in them when the brightness was turned down, and it darkening when the brightness it up.

I don't want to get into it too much but, if the MJ pulls more of the B+ across that primary then it makes more ... power. That is totally wasted in the shunt regulator.

There came lines of replacement flybacks and some of the were pretty good. Encapsulated instead of waxed, sturdier terminals. I usually want OEM but when the replacement is actually better... Now with a higher quality replacement flyback it can probably take an MJ with no problem. Then a better damper tube was called for. I THINK maybe, those sets came with a 6DW4 but there was another one you could use that was better, 6CJ3 maybe ? There was also an upgrade for the 6BK4, which I bought. I always bought the highest in the family of tubes and carried that practice to transistors. You want 10 2SD1554, 10 2SD1555, 10 2SD556. You get a price break on the 1556 at 20, so you order them at more money to get the shittier versions ? Hell no, you order the 1556s.

Terry Schwartz

Sep 3, 2018, 4:01:18 PM9/3/18
Mission accomplished! The tester slots are full, and no further tubes are needed. Thanks to all of you who helped me fill the tester drawers!

Terry

amdx

Sep 3, 2018, 7:17:30 PM9/3/18
That's all.

Dave M

Sep 3, 2018, 9:26:52 PM9/3/18
Way to go!!! Brings back lots of memories from my early years... I stood
in front of those testers many tiimes, running through the charts and
twisting the knobs. Bought lots of tubes out of them too. Mostly for
friends' TVs, but also quite a few hi-fi and radio sets.

BTW, help me remember; were the tube prices stamped on the boxes or were
they on a price list accompanying the tester?

Dave M

Terry Schwartz

Sep 3, 2018, 9:57:30 PM9/3/18
I've got a few price list pamphlets, the ones I have were for dealer use. I've never seen prices stamped on tube boxes so I imagine the retail price lists were available at the testers.

Here's a link to my Flickr site with some additional pictures of the tester.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32165280@N02/albums/72157674341385913

Terry

Fox's Mercantile

Sep 4, 2018, 12:08:49 AM9/4/18
On 9/3/18 8:57 PM, Terry Schwartz wrote:
> Here's a link to my Flickr site with some additional pictures of the tester.

Well done sir. Glad I was able to help a little bit.

The Real Bev

Sep 4, 2018, 1:48:52 AM9/4/18
On 09/03/2018 01:01 PM, Terry Schwartz wrote:
> Mission accomplished! The tester slots are full, and no further tubes are needed. Thanks to all of you who helped me fill the tester drawers!

Congratulations! Couldn't help, but I admire them what did!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Parasites plus suckers do not add up to a community."

Dave M

Sep 4, 2018, 9:42:51 AM9/4/18
Absolutely great job!!! It looks brand new! A museum piece, for sure!

Dave M

Mike S

Sep 5, 2018, 4:46:01 AM9/5/18
Impressive! If they ever make another 'back to the future' movie maybe
you can get this into a scene.

Terry Schwartz

Sep 5, 2018, 9:50:37 AM9/5/18
Here is the original rec.antiques.radio+phono thread documenting the restoration:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/rec.antiques.radio$2Bphono/seco%7Csort:date/rec.antiques.radio+phono/GmdPyPbt5xo/7GTrtfgTAwAJ

Reading that should help explain some of the extra photos in the Flickr album.

Terr