Truth brand electrolytic capacitors

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 16, 2014, 9:36:15 PM2/16/14
<http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
ultra-short product warranties.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

John Robertson

Feb 17, 2014, 1:29:05 AM2/17/14
On 02/16/2014 6:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> <http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
> Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
> bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
> ultra-short product warranties.

I trust they weren't sitting in the sun or some other heat source?

I've seen similar results with NOS computer motherboards where several
caps did the bulge without being powered up for many years...

John :-#(#

www.flippers.com

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 17, 2014, 2:34:22 AM2/17/14
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 22:29:05 -0800, John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com>
wrote:

>On 02/16/2014 6:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> <http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
>> Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
>> bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
>> ultra-short product warranties.

>I trust they weren't sitting in the sun or some other heat source?

They're not my caps, so I don't know the history. They were in a
plastic bin, probably indoors in his "lab". I don't see overheating
as a possible culprit. Heating might have melted the plastic bin
before it affected the capacitors.

>I've seen similar results with NOS computer motherboards where several
>caps did the bulge without being powered up for many years...

I haven't, but I don't stock new motherboards. Note that the
defective Truth caps still have their long leads and have obviously
not been used in any device.

John Robertson

Feb 17, 2014, 3:06:01 AM2/17/14
On 02/16/2014 11:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 22:29:05 -0800, John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/16/2014 6:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>>> <http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
>>> Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
>>> bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
>>> ultra-short product warranties.
>
>> I trust they weren't sitting in the sun or some other heat source?
>
> They're not my caps, so I don't know the history. They were in a
> plastic bin, probably indoors in his "lab". I don't see overheating
> as a possible culprit. Heating might have melted the plastic bin
> before it affected the capacitors.
>
>> I've seen similar results with NOS computer motherboards where several
>> caps did the bulge without being powered up for many years...
>
> I haven't, but I don't stock new motherboards. Note that the
> defective Truth caps still have their long leads and have obviously
> not been used in any device.

I had two NOS motherboards (roughly 2005 vintage) shipped to me for
repairing an old KIP scanner/printer computer - it had to have specific
vintage motherboard. The boards had never been used as far as I could
tell (and the company selling to me is reputable), but both boards had
the same bulging caps.

http://ww.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap.JPG

http://ww.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap2.JPG

http://ww.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap3.JPG

John :-#)#

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 17, 2014, 3:18:53 AM2/17/14
On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 00:06:01 -0800, John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com>
wrote:

>I had two NOS motherboards (roughly 2005 vintage) shipped to me for
>repairing an old KIP scanner/printer computer - it had to have specific
>vintage motherboard. The boards had never been used as far as I could
>tell (and the company selling to me is reputable), but both boards had
>the same bulging caps.

Your URL's have a missing "w". Fixed:
http://www.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap.JPG
http://www.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap2.JPG
http://www.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap3.JPG

The motherboard kinda looks like something I would expect to find in a
2005 vintage Dell desktop. I'm not at the office, but I think I have
quite a pile of those KZG caps from United Chemi-Con.
<http://www.nfjapan.com/datasheet/KZG.pdf>
Hmm... they look legitimate. I wonder what went wrong? Counterfeit
caps perhaps? I'll compare with your photo when I have time.

Cydrome Leader

Feb 17, 2014, 1:47:02 PM2/17/14
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> <http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
> Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
> bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
> ultra-short product warranties.

Nice! I wonder how well they worked when they were new, or if they're even
really capacitors at all.

John Robertson

Feb 17, 2014, 2:26:53 PM2/17/14
On 02/17/2014 12:18 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 00:06:01 -0800, John Robertson <sp...@flippers.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I had two NOS motherboards (roughly 2005 vintage) shipped to me for
>> repairing an old KIP scanner/printer computer - it had to have specific
>> vintage motherboard. The boards had never been used as far as I could
>> tell (and the company selling to me is reputable), but both boards had
>> the same bulging caps.
>
> Your URL's have a missing "w". Fixed:
> http://www.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap.JPG
> http://www.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap2.JPG
> http://www.flippers.com/images/KIP-MPU-BulgingCap3.JPG
>
> The motherboard kinda looks like something I would expect to find in a
> 2005 vintage Dell desktop. I'm not at the office, but I think I have
> quite a pile of those KZG caps from United Chemi-Con.
> <http://www.nfjapan.com/datasheet/KZG.pdf>
> Hmm... they look legitimate. I wonder what went wrong? Counterfeit
> caps perhaps? I'll compare with your photo when I have time.

Thanks for fixing the link URLs (opps!).

I think while the caps may well have been legit this was from the
counterfeit electrolyte period...

jurb...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2014, 2:49:09 PM2/17/14
Y'know what ? I bet they all test good ! I shit you not. We've all seen leaky and/or bulging lytics that are good and bad ones that look perfectly normal. Not that I would use them actually, but they probably do test good.

I remember the ones leaking electrolyte all ove the boards in Mitssubishi TVs, they were almost all perfectly good. Not even leaky, which is a bit surprising since the gunk soaked into the phenolic made it quite conductive.

Trevor Wilson

Feb 17, 2014, 2:53:16 PM2/17/14
On 17/02/2014 1:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> <http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
> Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
> bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
> ultra-short product warranties.

**Last year I ordered a couple of hundred caps from my local supplier. I
commenced using the caps. Around 10% showed signs of leakage within a
short time. All before I installed them into products. I recalled the
products they were installed in, and sent the whole lot back to the
supplier for a refund. Some of the caps I had installed were showing
signs of distress. A hollow act, since the cost of the caps was
insignificant compared to the cost of re-repairing the products they
were installed in. I have setttled on a new, more reliable supplier.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

John Robertson

Feb 18, 2014, 2:13:43 AM2/18/14
We tend to only use Panasonic caps from Digi-Key, Mouser, etc. No
problems with these! The cheap ones only lead to callbacks.

John :-#(#

Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

Feb 19, 2014, 9:44:24 AM2/19/14
Am 17.02.2014 03:36, schrieb Jeff Liebermann:
> <http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
> Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
> bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
> ultra-short product warranties.

Not a new problem...

look at these caps:

<http://qsl.net/d/dj0ud//radio/IMG_6306.JPG>
<http://qsl.net/d/dj0ud//radio/IMG_6304.JPG>

They are now about 20 years old (so well befor the "plague"),
a known good brand, stored in normal inhouse condition.
Some are still dry and in specs, other from the same batch
are looking like those in the pics, but they are not bulging or
corroding on the top...

Jorgen

jurb...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2014, 11:09:39 AM2/19/14
Before the CURRENT plague. Those look like what was in Mitsubishi TVs.

Those babies leaked conductive goop all over the board, yet were not electrically leaky themselves. Go figure.

Trevor Wilson

Feb 19, 2014, 3:56:51 PM2/19/14
On 18/02/2014 6:13 PM, John Robertson wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 11:53 AM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 17/02/2014 1:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>>> <http://wtfmoogle.com/?p=3585>
>>> Now, there is something I haven't seen before. Electrolytics that
>>> bulge and leak goo without any applied voltage. Probably useful for
>>> ultra-short product warranties.
>>>

>> **Last year I ordered a couple of hundred caps from my local supplier. I
>> commenced using the caps. Around 10% showed signs of leakage within a
>> short time. All before I installed them into products. I recalled the
>> products they were installed in, and sent the whole lot back to the
>> supplier for a refund. Some of the caps I had installed were showing
>> signs of distress. A hollow act, since the cost of the caps was
>> insignificant compared to the cost of re-repairing the products they
>> were installed in. I have setttled on a new, more reliable supplier.
>>

> We tend to only use Panasonic caps from Digi-Key, Mouser, etc. No
> problems with these! The cheap ones only lead to callbacks.
>
> John :-#(#

**Yup. That is the approach I've used for the last couple of years.
Panasonic caps = no call-backs. Sourced from Element 14.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au