26 pin FDD connector.

Gary Tait

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

A friend gave me a 1.44 Mb,3.5" floppy drive (I think from a Compaq)
the drive has a 26 pin connector (pin 9 missing), and no power connector.
(power leads are on the 26 pin conn.)

What are the pinouts for this drive, so I can hook it up to a standard
PC FDD connector.

The drive is a Citizen OSDA 53B, and has a Compaq sticker, with the number
41044, and a barcode.

Gary Tait , VE3VBF

Frank & Lori

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96
to Gary Tait

I have a similar floppy; bought it surplus a while back. While I never
was able to get a pin out for it, I can tell you that they are for
notebook computers, if it helps. Good Luck!

Jonathan Pearce

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

This sounds like the PS/2 version of the 3.5" floppy drive.
One thing to note about IBM drives is that the A: and
B: drives were different!

I would just sell it to a PS/2 owner.

Jonathan Pearce

Richard &/or Patti Herndon

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Season's greetings to all.
Thought I'd pass along some GOOD NEWS for a change.

I had thought I'd replace a Jumbo 250 Colorado Memory Systems drive, since I
couldn't get it to stream (ever) and couldn't get it to work with the DOS
software they gave me since I traded up from a 386-40 to a 486-100
motherboard.

Went out and bought some Verbatim DC2120EXtra tapes (will back up 800
MEGABYTES !! on that drive. Lo and behold, they come with a free disk with
software that finally makes the drive stream and is much better than the
Windows software the drive mfr gives out.

It is Arcada Backup for Windows Version 5.0.

Now, go out and try it. You can extend the life of a workhorse drive that is
being ignored and sold cheaply, but can back up 800 Mb for you easily now.

Richard

Tom Vogel

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Sounds good. Will the arcada software read the old 250/350 tapes?
Hate to go away from the newer software from Colorado for win..
Always had problems with older software.
I also use the FC20 pcb.
Tom Vogel

David Rouse

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

>Gary Tait wrote:
>>
>> A friend gave me a 1.44 Mb,3.5" floppy drive (I think from a Compaq)
>> the drive has a 26 pin connector (pin 9 missing), and no power connector.
>> (power leads are on the 26 pin conn.)
>>
>> What are the pinouts for this drive, so I can hook it up to a standard
>> PC FDD connector.
>>
>> The drive is a Citizen OSDA 53B, and has a Compaq sticker, with the number
>> 41044, and a barcode.
>>
>> Gary Tait , VE3VBF

>Frank? wrote:
>>
>>I have a similar floppy; bought it surplus a while
>>back. While I never was able to get a pin out for it, I can tell
>>you that they are for notebook computers, if it helps. Good Luck!

That type of drive was used by IBM in the PS/1. It was also used by
Compaq and others who closely adhered to IBM's standard (sic). If you
consider the pinout of a generic floppy,you'll notice that all even
pins go to ground. This has the advantadge of preventing damage from
plugging the cable on backwards. Look at the pcb of the floppy you
have and you'll find that the +5 and +12v are brought in on a pair of
wires that would be grounds for a "regular" floppy.

* SLMR 2.1a * We all live in a yellow subroutine.

John Jordan

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

The Arcada s/w that comes with the EX tapes works fine
with the regular 250's. Don't know about the 350's.
I prefer the Arcada s/w over anything I've received from
MSoft and HP Colorado for Win95 - more informative.

The Arcada works with the FC-20, *but* doesn't support
all of the available DMA channels ... only 1-3, which is
a bummer for people (like me) that want to use either DMA
5 or 7 for higher performance (I just upgraded to a T-3000,
TR-3 format). IRQs supported are 2-7,10,11. I have
version 5.0a. [I still don't know if the Arcada s/w
recognizes the TR-3 tapes. I opted for the throughput
increase from 8 to 11 MB/min.]

My experience, like Richards, was favorable. The J-250 is
still going strong in my old 486 chassis.

John Jordan, jor...@ibm.net

Gary Tait

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Jonathan Pearce wrote:

#Frank & Lori wrote:
#>
#> >
#
#This sounds like the PS/2 version of the 3.5" floppy drive.
#One thing to note about IBM drives is that the A: and
#B: drives were different!
#
#I would just sell it to a PS/2 owner.
#
#Jonathan Pearce
#

It is not PS/2, it is from a Compaq, maybe a notebook.

Gary Tait , VE3VBF

Richard &/or Patti Herndon

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

In article <32b989ed...@195.44.0.11>, kan...@ktc.com says...

>Sounds good. Will the arcada software read the old 250/350 tapes?
>Hate to go away from the newer software from Colorado for win..
>Always had problems with older software.
>I also use the FC20 pcb.

Tom,
The paper packed in with the software says to hang on to your old software
that you used to back up the tapes you have, just in case you need it, due to
extensions to the QIC80 specifications. I'd guess you'd want to hang on to it
until all the old tapes are written over. You'd certainly want to hang on to
it until you were SURE you liked the new stuff.

Have you ever gotten yours to stream? I never got any newer software from
Colorado Memory Systems/HP. I knew that they had newer stuff. The package
they sent with the machine was billed as 'Lite'. That usually means crippled
or old version.

I also just wanted to get the word out about the new tapes, too. I don't
think they've gotten enough advertising, since they are really just a niche
market for old tape systems.

RH

Bruce Tomlin

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

David Rouse (david...@engineers.com) wrote in sci.electronics.repair:

> That type of drive was used by IBM in the PS/1. It was also used by
> Compaq and others who closely adhered to IBM's standard (sic). If you
> consider the pinout of a generic floppy,you'll notice that all even
> pins go to ground. This has the advantadge of preventing damage from
> plugging the cable on backwards. Look at the pcb of the floppy you

Damage to the drive, perhaps. If you stick a disk in a drive with the
connector upside-down and turn on the power, you may end up erasing a
track on the disk. I've done it before. :(

> have and you'll find that the +5 and +12v are brought in on a pair of
> wires that would be grounds for a "regular" floppy.

Hmm... I've got one of those drives, except I also have the little bit of
ribbon cable that attached it to something. I'll have to look at it closer.

Simon N Atkin

Dec 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/25/96

Richard &/or Patti Herndon wrote:

> Season's greetings to all.
> Thought I'd pass along some GOOD NEWS for a change.
>
> I had thought I'd replace a Jumbo 250 Colorado Memory Systems drive, since I
> couldn't get it to stream (ever) and couldn't get it to work with the DOS
> software they gave me since I traded up from a 386-40 to a 486-100
> motherboard.
>
> Went out and bought some Verbatim DC2120EXtra tapes (will back up 800
> MEGABYTES !! on that drive. Lo and behold, they come with a free disk with
> software that finally makes the drive stream and is much better than the
> Windows software the drive mfr gives out.
>
> It is Arcada Backup for Windows Version 5.0.
>
> Now, go out and try it. You can extend the life of a workhorse drive that is
> being ignored and sold cheaply, but can back up 800 Mb for you easily now.
>
> Richard

This 800MB, is this using compression. If it isn;t where can I get
this software from, as these Verbatim Tapes probably aren't yet
available in the UK

Simon. (Notice the Date, sad)

Adam Sundor

Dec 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/26/96

Simon N Atkin (si...@enta.net) wrote:

: This 800MB, is this using compression. If it isn;t where can I get

: this software from, as these Verbatim Tapes probably aren't yet
: available in the UK

: Simon. (Notice the Date, sad)

It's 400 MB without compression. To get 800 would depend on the files
and turning the compression to High, which might nail the streaming
and is not the safest way. Using Low Compression, I run around
1.5 or 600 MB for a variety of types of files. High Compression only
gets another 16% or so but may cut severely performance and is not as
safe as Low Compression (Stac Low - in the options for the software).
Make Compares since I have yet to do a backup without errors. As you
push a system, you want to double-check what is happening. The reasons
for the errors are many, and some of them may be spurious but it's really
something to do although it DOUBLES the time. Also do the Compare
separately since there may be bugs in the software and it seems to screw
up when doing a BACKUP and COMPARE together. What a mess in general.

The software is from Seagate which bought Arcada and OEM's to
Verbatim which makes the tapes. They have a web site and when I last
called, they said their software is up there.

So try www.verbatim.com or so I recall. Seagate also might have
the software up on its site, just maybe.

The software runs in Windows and can run on a 386. There may be
a DOS version coming out. That may require a 486.

Seagate now vends all of this, so perhaps the Seagate software that comes
with their large tape systems might also work since it's really
made by Arcada which has been purchased by Seagate. Iomega also
uses the same software, almost, in their tape drives. There are
differences, such as the Verbatim software appears to work with many
types of drives where Iomega is limited to its drives, like the Ditto.

I have had good luck so far with these DC2120EXtra tapes. I did not have
such good luck with Iomega and the TR3EXtra tapes for 2.2 GB native.
Not sure whether the tape, the tape drive or what, but it failed every
time so I had to return the Ditto Easy 3200 MB drive and the TR3EXtra tape.

Adam Sundor

Emile Kretschmann

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

Hoi Richard!

Richard &/or Patti Herndon wrote in a message to All:

R&> I also just wanted to get the word out about the new tapes, too. I
R&> don't think they've gotten enough advertising, since they are
R&> really just a niche market for old tape systems.

Is there a list of tapedrives which are compatible with the new tapes?

I have a Conner/Archive CQ250,the tape inserts fully into the unit,so if the
extended tapes are larger (like the travan tapes) they won't fit.

Grtnxs,
Emile

Richard &/or Patti Herndon

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

In article <7465...@p18.f7.n283.z2.ftn>,
Emile.Kr...@p18.f7.n283.z2.fidonet.org says...

> R&> I also just wanted to get the word out about the new tapes, too. I
> R&> don't think they've gotten enough advertising, since they are
> R&> really just a niche market for old tape systems.
>
>Is there a list of tapedrives which are compatible with the new tapes?
>
>I have a Conner/Archive CQ250,the tape inserts fully into the unit,so if the
>extended tapes are larger (like the travan tapes) they won't fit.

The list of drives supported by the software bundled inside the package
follow:

23. QIC Tape Drives Supported by Arcada Backup
-------

Manufacturer Model Name
Aiwa TD-803
Aiwa TD-811
Aiwa TR-1
Alloy Computer Products Retriever 250
APS MobilStor
APS MobilStor TR-1
Archive Corporation 5240
Archive Corporation 5580, 3580
Archive Corporation SuperHornet 51250/31250/11250
CMS Enhancements T2120AT
Colorado Memory Systems Jumbo 250/350
Colorado Memory Systems Tracker 250/350
Colorado T-1000e
Colorado T-1000i
Compaq Computer Corp. 80/120
Conner Tape Stor 250
Conner Tape Stor 420
Conner TR-1
Conner SuperHornet Plus 51250/31250/11250
CORE International COREtape Light
Iomega Tape250 Insider, Insider HH
Iomega PC Powered, Ditto 250
Iomega Ditto 420
Iomega TR-1
Irwin Magnetic Systems A120,2040
Irwin Magnetic Systems A250,2080
Irwin Magnetic Systems A250xxST,2120
MicroSolutions BACKPACK 250
Mountain Network Solutions FileSafe 4000
Mountain Network Solutions FileSafe 8000 Plus, Mountain 80
Summit Memory Systems, Inc. SE250
Tallgrass Technologies FS120
Tecmar MiniVault 120
Wangtek, Inc. 3040/3080

Looks like the '250 may be the one on the list.

Good luck in the new year!
Richard

rgordon

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

kan...@ktc.com (Tom Vogel) said:

>her...@texas.net (Richard &/or Patti Herndon) wrote:
>
>>Season's greetings to all.
>>Thought I'd pass along some GOOD NEWS for a change.
>>
>>I had thought I'd replace a Jumbo 250 Colorado Memory Systems
>drive, since I
>>couldn't get it to stream (ever) and couldn't get it to work with
>the DOS
>>software they gave me since I traded up from a 386-40 to a 486-100
>>motherboard.
>>
>>Went out and bought some Verbatim DC2120EXtra tapes (will back up
>800
>>MEGABYTES !! on that drive. Lo and behold, they come with a free
>disk with
>>software that finally makes the drive stream and is much better
>than the
>>Windows software the drive mfr gives out.
>>
>>It is Arcada Backup for Windows Version 5.0.
>>
>>Now, go out and try it. You can extend the life of a workhorse
>drive that is
>>being ignored and sold cheaply, but can back up 800 Mb for you
>easily now.
>>
>>Richard
>>

>Sounds good. Will the arcada software read the old 250/350 tapes?
>Hate to go away from the newer software from Colorado for win..
>Always had problems with older software.
>I also use the FC20 pcb.

> Tom Vogel

I thought I was elated when I read
your post but it has turned out that
I have searched for days and miles
and can't find anyone to sell me the
verbatim tapes or even carry the
product line anymore!!!Their's is the
only floppies I would buy and now
they're gone!!!I have found their
home page and also Arcada/sea
gate and they all want money,lots
of it.... maybe it's worth it,we'll see..
Thanks again for the post Ron

Richard &/or Patti Herndon

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

In article <5ak3gt$2...@pcnet4.pcnet.com>, rgo...@pcnet.com says...

>I thought I was elated when I read
>your post but it has turned out that
>I have searched for days and miles
>and can't find anyone to sell me the
>verbatim tapes or even carry the
>product line anymore!!!I have found their

>home page and also Arcada/sea
>gate and they all want money,lots
>of it.... maybe it's worth it,we'll see..

Hey, I've stated in previous posts that COMPUSA just had sales on them during
the Christmas holidays. The info below is part of a previous post you may
have missed. I'm not pushing the suppliers I mention, just that they had them
in August of '96. Here goes:

I bought my tapes from
DISKETTE CONNECTION 6000 NW 2ND ST #900
OKLAHOMA CITY OK 73127-6515
405-789-0888

In late August, they were about $21 apiece with the free software included. I
had scoured the Computer Shopper Magazine and they were the cheapest at that
time. I noticed our local CompUSA started carrying them last week. Not sure
they still include the software, though. Our local store wanted $24 + TX tax
for them.

The other place I found them in Computer Shopper magazine was
MEDIA SOURCE
2197 CANTON RD SUITE 210
MARIETTA GA 30066
800-241-8857
770-919-0059
FAX 770-919-9228
[They wanted $22.72 apiece in August.]

I still happened to have the copied mag ads near my computer.

Peace in the new year,
Richard

Mr. Steven Bender

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97

I've got a pair of Verbatim 2120EX tapes, never had time to use them.
First person that wants to send me $40 gets 'em ( includes postage ).
Don't think they contain any disks.

Steven L. Bender reply to: < exq...@prodigy.com >