simple projects for a 15 year old

electronewb

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
My son is interested in electronics and would like to start with some
very basic projects. I know that kits can be purchased but I would
rather purchase misc. parts at a store here in Toronto called Active
Surplus. If there's any Torontotonians out there I would like to hear
from you.
Anyways, I picked up a few books from the library for "biginner" basic
projects but some of the compnents it says to purchase aren't very
specific. For example, it shows the wiring diagram for a lighting a
flshlight bulb, but it doesn't specify what type of wires, what voltage
the bulb should be etc.
the same applies for the diodes and resistors - not specific enough.
Would appreciate contacting me direct.
thanks

Stephen Tomchuk

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
My parents started me out with a Rad shack Science Fair 150 in 1 electronic
project board when they tired of me pulling all the electric motors out of
eveything I could get my hands on. It has a very good basics instruction and
project manual complete with schematics. I highly recommend it.

Regards from the gap,

Steve

Michael Black

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
In article <2899b5f0...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com>, electronewb
<ivalindsa...@sympatico.ca.invalid> wrote:

> My son is interested in electronics and would like to start with some
> very basic projects. I know that kits can be purchased but I would
> rather purchase misc. parts at a store here in Toronto called Active
> Surplus. If there's any Torontotonians out there I would like to hear
> from you.
> Anyways, I picked up a few books from the library for "biginner" basic
> projects but some of the compnents it says to purchase aren't very
> specific. For example, it shows the wiring diagram for a lighting a
> flshlight bulb, but it doesn't specify what type of wires, what voltage
> the bulb should be etc.
> the same applies for the diodes and resistors - not specific enough.
> Would appreciate contacting me direct.
> thanks

I'm not in Toronto, but you might try one of the local newsgroups, the
tor.* hierarchy, to see if you can get ahold of any locals who know
the Toronto-area electronic stores.

Active Surplus is an interesting store, full of neat things. But since
I've not bought any regular parts there, I wonder if it is the place
for getting the exact parts that we all seem to want when starting out.

Radio Shack has higher prices, and limited number of parts, but they
also have some cheap books about electronics, and you should be able
to get the parts thye use at Radio Shack itself.

There are amateur radio clubs in Toronto, and contacting them might
turn up someone who could point you to some local stores or even offer
some help. I don't know of the specific clubs, but you should be
able to find some at the Radio Amateurs of Canada site at
http://www.rac.ca The site also has a list of upcoming flearmakets
put on by ham clubs, and they can be a source of parts and books
and even tools and test equipment for much less than you'd pay
at the stores.

I was only ten when I started working my way through the "electronic"
books at the children's library. Most of them were more more about
electricity and electrical projects (I can still remember the hot dog
cooker that consisted of some nails and a line cord), and I soon started
going through the books in the adult section. A few months later, I
started reading the electronic hobby magazines, which I discovered
at the newsstand. I didn't start building things right away. Of
course, I didn't understand most of it right away, either. The first
few projects I tried to build didn't work. But as I've said before,
if I hadn't taken those early steps I never would have gone further.

The trick is to not think you need to know everything before you
start, but to start and learn from experience. Things that are run
off batteries will not be dangerous to you, though there's no guarantee
thatyou won't damage the parts. Something that plugs into an AC outlet
requires a certain amount of care to make it safe.

But it is through learning that you will know about those components.
The books you've taken out of the library may not be that great. By
simplifying things, they may not be able to address your questions.
ANd of course, some books may just be badly done or include errors.

If you're talking about things that run off batteries, the reason
the type of wire isn't specified is that it doens't matter; just
about anything will do. You will find that you don't want too
thick wire, since it will be too difficutl to deal with (and the bigger
wire allows for greater current handling, and you aren't dealing
with high current here). Do make sure it's insulated, so things
won't accidentally touch.

The voltage of the bulb dervies from the voltage of the battery.
If it's a 9Volt battery, you don't want a bulb that will run off
a lower voltage, since the bulb will then burn out. You won't
want a higher current bulb, since it will draw either more than
the battery can supply, or quickly run down the battery.

I suspect unless the books are really badly done, the reason
some information appears to be missing is because you expect more.
If a diode has a part number, usually starting with "1N", you have
all the information you need, because that gives the diode it's
uniqueness, and you can get the specs from a data book. You do
have to make sure it goes in the circuit the correct way, diodes are
polarized.

I could go on. But the point is that you may have to dig around in
other books, or ask specific questions here. Actually, the appropriate
newsgroup would be sci.electronics.basics

When you're starting out, nothing makes sense. It takes some for
things to start being recognizable.

Michael

Chris Mann

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
I got started with the Radio Shack 100 in 1, 150 in 1, and then the 200 in
1. Although now I can't stand Radio Shack, these kits are excellent. Once
you finish the circuits and kind of understand them, you can make variations
of them and with more parts or kits you can combine them. Other books
solidified the theory learned and allowed for the imagination to take over.
Lots of mistakes and errors will occur and will damage parts but they are
cheap and easily replacable. Encourage him and don't get too pissed off if
and when he's a little micheivious, such as when your TV freaks out, he's
talking through the radio, his room is wired up, or a phone call from the
school of about some home brewed project(s) that may have reaked havok. It's
all part of the learning process. Electronics is a good field and an
excellent gateway for other sciences and technologies.

"electronewb" <ivalindsa...@sympatico.ca.invalid> wrote in message

> My son is interested in electronics and would like to start with some
> very basic projects. I know that kits can be purchased but I would
> rather purchase misc. parts at a store here in Toronto called Active
> Surplus. If there's any Torontotonians out there I would like to hear
> from you.
> Anyways, I picked up a few books from the library for "biginner" basic
> projects but some of the compnents it says to purchase aren't very
> specific. For example, it shows the wiring diagram for a lighting a
> flshlight bulb, but it doesn't specify what type of wires, what voltage
> the bulb should be etc.
> the same applies for the diodes and resistors - not specific enough.
> Would appreciate contacting me direct.
> thanks

Martin Pickering {UK}

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
In article <2899b5f0...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com>,
electronewb <ivalindsa...@sympatico.ca.invalid> wrote:

>My son is interested in electronics and would like to start with some
>very basic projects. I know that kits can be purchased but I would
>rather purchase misc. parts at a store here in Toronto called Active
>Surplus. If there's any Torontotonians out there I would like to hear
>from you.
>Anyways, I picked up a few books from the library for "biginner" basic
>projects but some of the compnents it says to purchase aren't very
>specific. For example, it shows the wiring diagram for a lighting a
>flshlight bulb, but it doesn't specify what type of wires, what voltage
>the bulb should be etc.
>the same applies for the diodes and resistors - not specific enough.
>Would appreciate contacting me direct.
>thanks

I started off at age 10 with a "Trans Tronic" kit. I'm not quite sure now
if that should be hyphenated or all one word.

Anyway, I did a WWW search for it recently and found that a company still
sells similar kits. I thoroughly recommend beginning with kits because you
are guaranteed success. It's important that the device *works* with minimal
effort in order to maintain interest.

If your son has the intelligence and interest, he will add to the kits
later on. For example, I added an additional transistor stage to a radio
kit so I could drive headphones instead of a crystal earpiece. Then I made
a cardboard cone to convert a headphone to a crude loudspeaker. Then I
added an LT700 transformer to drive a proper loudspeaker. I had to buy
these individual components myself as my father was as useful as a f*rt in
a bottle ;o)

Martin Pickering B. Eng. (Electronics)
http://www.netcentral.co.uk/satcure/design.htm

(Look at this web page, too.)

jerr...@hotmail.com

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
From an educational point of view you are best off letting your son
learn with the proper educational kits. These are propely laid out,
and have very good instructional theory and assembly instructions for
learning.

You would end up spending a lot more dollars to buy the parts
individualy, and you and him would never be able to achieve the
equivelent design level of these kits for the cost. And, you would
have to be a full blown engineer or a dambed good electrotechnologist
to realy achieve the design level of these kits because of the R&D
involved to develop them.

Equal oportunity is what gives the best progress and achievement in our
endevours.

Jerry Greenberg
http"//www.zoom-one.com

--

In article <2899b5f0...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com>,
electronewb <ivalindsa...@sympatico.ca.invalid> wrote:
> My son is interested in electronics and would like to start with some
> very basic projects. I know that kits can be purchased but I would
> rather purchase misc. parts at a store here in Toronto called Active
> Surplus. If there's any Torontotonians out there I would like to hear
> from you.
> Anyways, I picked up a few books from the library for "biginner" basic
> projects but some of the compnents it says to purchase aren't very
> specific. For example, it shows the wiring diagram for a lighting a
> flshlight bulb, but it doesn't specify what type of wires, what
voltage
> the bulb should be etc.
> the same applies for the diodes and resistors - not specific enough.
> Would appreciate contacting me direct.
> thanks
>

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Ian Juby

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
I'm writing from up near Pembroke, Ontario. I work at a
summer science camp, Hila, and we have a large amount of our
projects on line at www.hilaroad.com
I also have several projects on my web page,
www.ianjuby.cjb.net

The Rad Shack kits are awesome, I learned on them too, but
if you know anything of electronics yourself, nothing beats
getting a breadboard and some simple parts such as a 555.
Feel free to ask me questions via email if you like.

Ian

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Chris Mann

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Whoooaaa. Learn to walk before you run. You need to know more than just
"anything of electronics" before you can start designing, building, and
troubleshooting your own circuits. What you and I may consider basically
simple a beginner will look at as very complicated. Especially when it comes
to the theory. The RS kits make the education fun.

"Ian Juby" <ianjuby...@mailcity.com.invalid> wrote in message

James Sweet

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Heheh, that part about the school reminded me of when I had the
flourescent lamp driver board from a Coleman lantern at school in 6th
grade zapping people, the teacher was not impressed :)

Chris Mann wrote:

> I got started with the Radio Shack 100 in 1, 150 in 1, and then the 200 in
> 1. Although now I can't stand Radio Shack, these kits are excellent. Once
> you finish the circuits and kind of understand them, you can make variations
> of them and with more parts or kits you can combine them. Other books
> solidified the theory learned and allowed for the imagination to take over.
> Lots of mistakes and errors will occur and will damage parts but they are
> cheap and easily replacable. Encourage him and don't get too pissed off if
> and when he's a little micheivious, such as when your TV freaks out, he's
> talking through the radio, his room is wired up, or a phone call from the
> school of about some home brewed project(s) that may have reaked havok. It's
> all part of the learning process. Electronics is a good field and an
> excellent gateway for other sciences and technologies.

Team Goon

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Turn the kid loose with some old equiptment from thrift shops or found
on the side of the road ~ That is how I AND my 14 year old son learned.
My 14 year old is now about as good a technitian as you can find, He can
do everything from changing a fuse to troubleshooting to wiring a
complicated high performance car audio system.
Kids at this age are easy to teah. I started with him when he was about
10.
Good luck..

"It's a crazy world, have fun with it."
-Jerry Springer

"Remember, when someone annoys you that it takes 42 muscles to frown,
but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the
head."

http://community.webtv.net/teamgoon/THEHOUSEOFRADNESS

Graeme

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Try some 555 timer stuff, buy a book on this timer.
stock up on led's, battery clips, vero board, basic npn
transistors (BC108, BC547, BC557 etc),
a few small switches, etc....Dont buy from shops if you can
help it, go mail order and it will save you ŁŁŁŁŁ.

Try two small npn transistors in a circuit as a buzzer
(astable)look this word up in your first book you buy.
buy books, and them some more books, just the simple one's
nothing to heavy. You may have to buy a book because of
just one interesting chapter that's sort of normal in
electronics, but the rest of the book should make sense
later on.
BEWARE... there are some very boring books out there.

Look at basic alarm or timer project books (these could be
classed as a little boring if you try to read them as a
novel) these books should form part of a small library that
he can refer to later on.
Why not look into how to light a led (light emitting diode)
with a resistor and battery with clip, read about led's and
work out what the resistor value should be.
Your son should be fascinated by a simple led and how it
works, you now have him hooked, enjoy.

Please dont use scrap parts at first for the projects. Buy
him new and don't re-use vero board, this distracts from
getting on with enjoying electronics, he can play with
second hand parts later on.

Yes, buy the kit's and he will learn how to solder etc and
how to fault find, oh yes how to fault find, and how not to
sleep.

Multimeter...if you buy a cheap meter he will blow it up!
(we all do it or have done, me many times) as most lack
good protection, Fluke do a good meter that switches it
self on, auto selects its function and range, then turn's
off, this type of meter will last and give good service.
Avoid the singing and whisling meters that test transistor
gain etc... as these don't sing for long. You know look at
all these buttons and knob's type meters.
OR IS IT TO LATE:-)

Graeme, UK.

Good luck,
Graeme.

Chris Mann

Jun 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/6/00
With the Radio Shack kits I mentioned don't use solder. all connections were
from springs and wires. The project book also gave explanations of the
components and how they work. Another kit I had (I don't remember the name)
expained electricity as water flow. It was also excellent.

"Graeme (uk)" <graeme.dug...@btinternet.com.invalid> wrote in
message news:06f57f7b...@usw-ex0109-069.remarq.com...