Samsung 40" RPTV SP-403JHA Service Menu Code ?

joakims...@my-deja.com

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00

Have a problem with picture quality (teletext i allmost unreadable) and
would like to see if could be fixed in the service menu.

Thanks in advance !

/Joakim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Arthur Jernberg

Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
This is a HDTV RPTV, if the material being displayed is anolog NTSC format,
525 line based NTSC, then the resulting video quality will be modest. With
a HD digital signal the quality is vastly improved. Seems to be a problem
with a lot of the HDTV products currently operating on the existing system.
Possibly tweaking the focus a bit may slightly improve the quality.

joakims...@my-deja.com

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
Hmm, i don't know about the HDTV part, I use it here in Sweden where we
have PAL and I think that you can use it with NTSC also. But it does
not seem to matter what video source I use. Satellite decoder (digital)
dvd or a computer. The focus is off so when text i displayed it is hard
to read. I think that the focus have degraded from when I bought it 10
months ago. Since I don't have access to any repair center where I live
I would like to try to fix it myself so if anyone knows how to adjust
the focus I would be grateful. I have tried to buy a service manual but
the company that sells these in Sweden doesn't even bother to answer
the e-mail I sent them. Samsung does not sell them directly here in
sweden so if anyone know where you can order it i'd be grateful to know.

/Joakim

In article <39CD4490...@massnet1.net>,

Tom MacIntyre

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00
On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:49:09 GMT, joakims...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Hmm, i don't know about the HDTV part, I use it here in Sweden where we
>have PAL and I think that you can use it with NTSC also. But it does
>not seem to matter what video source I use. Satellite decoder (digital)
>dvd or a computer. The focus is off so when text i displayed it is hard
>to read. I think that the focus have degraded from when I bought it 10
>months ago. Since I don't have access to any repair center where I live
>I would like to try to fix it myself so if anyone knows how to adjust
>the focus I would be grateful. I have tried to buy a service manual but
>the company that sells these in Sweden doesn't even bother to answer
>the e-mail I sent them. Samsung does not sell them directly here in
>sweden so if anyone know where you can order it i'd be grateful to know.
>
>/Joakim

Is it focus, or convergence? If it's convergence, the colors, red,
green, and blue, won't be lined up on top of one another. I think
Mute-1-8-3 will get you into the convergence menu, but I can't
remember the keys involved in the procedure. It isn't a bad procedure
when you know which buttons to use, but it's not easily guessable.

Tom

joakims...@my-deja.com

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

> Is it focus, or convergence? If it's convergence, the colors, red,
> green, and blue, won't be lined up on top of one another. I think
> Mute-1-8-3 will get you into the convergence menu, but I can't
> remember the keys involved in the procedure. It isn't a bad procedure
> when you know which buttons to use, but it's not easily guessable.
>
> Tom

Tom,

I think the problem is focus, because the colors seem to be ok. For
example In the tv menus the red text is ok but is has a ghost image
next to it (same color). I tried your key combination but that did not
seem to bring me into the convergence menu.

Tom MacIntyre

Sep 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/24/00

You need to evaluate something white to get a good indication of
convergence, but it does sound like a focus problem, by your
description. I left out one important detail...you start with the set
off, and press Mute-1-8-3-Power. If it's focus anyway, those are
likely adjustment pots on the focus block inside the set.

Tom

joakims...@my-deja.com

Sep 28, 2000, 2:29:59 AM9/28/00
Thank you Tom !

I've been away a few days but I will try tonight.

/Joakim

In article <39ce7c5f...@news.wolf>,

Tom MacIntyre

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:29:59 GMT, joakims...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Thank you Tom !
>
>I've been away a few days but I will try tonight.
>
>/Joakim

We did one yesterday...789 RGB select...100+ turns off red, the button
in the same position on the right-hand side of the remote turns off
the blue...s-sel exits, add-erase saves, maybe MTS...Vol+- and Channel
+- move the grid color selected in a LR or up-down direction...you'll
have to experiment. The one I worked on yesterday was different than
the manual, and I had to fish for the proper key selections a bit.

Tom

PS-If you bring the grid up and it looks good, just get out of the
convergence menu...resist the urge to play. There is a hypnotic aspect
to doing convergence...you always want it just a tweak better...:-)

Ted

Oct 5, 2000, 9:16:26 PM10/5/00
> > You need to evaluate something white to get a good indication of
> > convergence, but it does sound like a focus problem, by your
> > description. I left out one important detail...you start with the set
> > off, and press Mute-1-8-3-Power. If it's focus anyway, those are
> > likely adjustment pots on the focus block inside the set.
> >
> > Tom

Hi all... just a bit of extra info. I have the Samsung SP434JMF, which is
sold in Australia, and I managed to get hold of the service manual (I have
my ways, and I love the internet!!!), and the
convergance adjustment for my model was [conv] then [mute] then 1 - 8 - 2

The conv button is the "user" convergance button.... I needed to press that
first....

So very similar..... Reading this thread got me going on mine, as I just
got it returned from a repair, and they adjusted the convergance for PAL
(Australian TV) but NOT NTSC, and the majority of my DVD's are NTSC. I was
appaling, the convergance for the NTSC signal was out by 2 centimetres for
red and blue!!! They hadn't even bothered to fix it!

So being an EX electronics tech myself, (i'm into computers now) I threw
myself into it and fixed it myself.....

Imagine the shock the "busy" TV repair place got when I said, dont worry I
had fully adjusted the convergance, there is no need to come back to fix it
yourselves... I told them, and they were suprised, anyway since my TV is now
out of warranty, I think any future problems, and I will be drawing on my
experience as an electronics tech that I was for 7 years (fixed a few tv's
in my time as well....)

cheers....

--

Ted ICQ: 424324
Get my PGP Public Key by fingering my email address