Philips I2C software

1 view

Mjolinor

Jan 13, 2003, 9:20:08 AM1/13/03
For years I have used a small piece of DOS software and a LS05? plgged into
my parallel port to passively monitor and capture I2C data. I havn't used it
for a couple of years and just dug it all out, it won't run. I remember last
time I used it I thought that PCs were getting too fast for it and it took a
few atttemps at running it to get it to load.

So, any recent replacements for it (I tried searching the Philips site) that
will use the same hardware, that will use different hardware but still
simple enough to knock together on veroboard or similar. Any good reasonably
priced commercial products that do the same.

Anyone got a copy of slow.com? that used to be good for slowing down fast
PCs, it may solve the problem. I tried searching onthe net but can't find
it. (I probably go the name wrong)

Cheers

the Wiz

Jan 13, 2003, 2:40:54 PM1/13/03
"Mjolinor" <mjol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Maybe you'd like to purchase the 386/25 laptop I'm using for a paperweight? It
has DOS 6.22, WFW 3.11, a 180MB drive and a huge 6MB RAM.

VB3 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vbsource.html
VB6 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vb6source.html
VB6 - MySQL how to: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/mysql.html
Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Mjolinor

Jan 13, 2003, 5:21:32 PM1/13/03

"the Wiz" <johneca...@mindsXxXpring.com> wrote in message

> "Mjolinor" <mjol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >For years I have used a small piece of DOS software and a LS05? plgged
into
> >my parallel port to passively monitor and capture I2C data. I havn't used
it
> >for a couple of years and just dug it all out, it won't run. I remember
last
> >time I used it I thought that PCs were getting too fast for it and it
took a
> >few atttemps at running it to get it to load.
> >
> >So, any recent replacements for it (I tried searching the Philips site)
that
> >will use the same hardware, that will use different hardware but still
> >simple enough to knock together on veroboard or similar. Any good
reasonably
> >priced commercial products that do the same.
> >
> >Anyone got a copy of slow.com? that used to be good for slowing down fast
> >PCs, it may solve the problem. I tried searching onthe net but can't find
> >it. (I probably go the name wrong)
> >
> >Cheers
> >

> Maybe you'd like to purchase the 386/25 laptop I'm using for a
paperweight? It
> has DOS 6.22, WFW 3.11, a 180MB drive and a huge 6MB RAM.

Nice thought but I have no shortage of such things :)

Laptops are not good anyway teh way I blow parallel ports up.

the Wiz

Jan 13, 2003, 5:44:06 PM1/13/03
"Mjolinor" <mjol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"the Wiz" <johneca...@mindsXxXpring.com> wrote in message
>> "Mjolinor" <mjol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >For years I have used a small piece of DOS software and a LS05? plgged
>into
>> >my parallel port to passively monitor and capture I2C data. I havn't used
>it
>> >for a couple of years and just dug it all out, it won't run. I remember
>last
>> >time I used it I thought that PCs were getting too fast for it and it
>took a
>> >few atttemps at running it to get it to load.
>> >
>> >So, any recent replacements for it (I tried searching the Philips site)
>that
>> >will use the same hardware, that will use different hardware but still
>> >simple enough to knock together on veroboard or similar. Any good
>reasonably
>> >priced commercial products that do the same.
>> >
>> >Anyone got a copy of slow.com? that used to be good for slowing down fast
>> >PCs, it may solve the problem. I tried searching onthe net but can't find
>> >it. (I probably go the name wrong)
>> >
>> >Cheers

If you're using version 3.2 of the Phillips software, it's listed as non-Pentium
compatible, but they also have version 4.0 for download.
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/products/standard/microcontrollers/support/software/80c51/i2c/

There is a list of "slowdown" programs at
http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/12396.html

Mjolinor

Jan 14, 2003, 3:43:03 AM1/14/03

"the Wiz" <johneca...@mindsXxXpring.com> wrote in message

Thanks for that. I find the Philips site awful to find things on whether
it's datasheets or SW or just information. I'll try it.

Mjolinor

Jan 14, 2003, 4:26:19 AM1/14/03

"the Wiz" <johneca...@mindsXxXpring.com> wrote in message

The newer SW gives the same errors, runtime error R6003. Still need more :)

the Wiz

Jan 14, 2003, 2:17:41 PM1/14/03
"Mjolinor" <mjol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> If you're using version 3.2 of the Phillips software, it's listed as
>non-Pentium
>> compatible, but they also have version 4.0 for download.
>>
>http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/products/standard/microcontrollers/sup
>port/software/80c51/i2c/
>>
>> There is a list of "slowdown" programs at
>> http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/12396.html
>>
>> VB3 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vbsource.html
>> VB6 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vb6source.html
>> VB6 - MySQL how to: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/mysql.html
>> Fix the obvious to reply by email.
>
>The newer SW gives the same errors, runtime error R6003. Still need more :)

R6003 is divide by zero, often encountered in older software that tries to do a
processor speed check with some type of loop. Processors faster than the
programmers ever imagined run the number of passes of the loop faster than the
PC's clock updates, so the time for the loop is zero. 3Com had that problem
with some of their laptop network cards.

There are three solutions:

1. slower machine - I have a friend with 3 working PC-XT boxes ;-)

2. slowdown software that works with your processor speed and operating system
(there are more programs than the short list I posted earlier)

3. newer software - buy or write
(I've never written anything for I2C, but my current project ends in June unless
they fund enhancements, so I could be looking for a new challenge ;-)

simon

Jan 18, 2003, 12:02:23 PM1/18/03
An alternative is a non-bit bash adaptor. The advantages are:
-timing independence
-works far from PC
-galvanic isolation for safety or reliability
-multiple I2C busses
-able to initialise I2C devices BEFORE pc resets, or if PC dies

Check out the I2C-2-PC USB/RS232 to I2C adaptor...
The bare serial to I2C chips (BL232) are available.

http://www.i2cchip.com

2 wire bus, iic, i2c, adaptors and chips.

Mjolinor

Jan 20, 2003, 6:20:25 AM1/20/03

"simon" <623...@despammed.com> wrote in message

> An alternative is a non-bit bash adaptor. The advantages are:
> -timing independence
> -works far from PC
> -galvanic isolation for safety or reliability
> -multiple I2C busses
> -able to initialise I2C devices BEFORE pc resets, or if PC dies
>
> Check out the I2C-2-PC USB/RS232 to I2C adaptor...
> The bare serial to I2C chips (BL232) are available.
>
> http://www.i2cchip.com

Thanks for the replies

http://warmcat.com/milksop/cheapi2c.html

takes the prize :)

It passively collects data from an I2C withuot any problems and doesn't
interfere, displays in good format and is about as easy as it could be with
only 2 wires connecting it to a parallel port.

I will stick with a slow PC and the Philips stuff if I need to interact.