Monitor Question

Jim Thompson

Jun 15, 2006, 8:27:02 PM6/15/06
Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?

I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.

(My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Joerg

Jun 15, 2006, 8:48:48 PM6/15/06
Hello Jim,

> Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>
> I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>
> (My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
> contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
> ;-)

I had the "pleasure" to work in front of a flatscreen at a client for a
few hours. Didn't enjoy it. When my previous monitor began to have
"bzzzzt... bang" episodes I replaced it with a real CRT monitor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Joel Kolstad

Jun 15, 2006, 8:59:41 PM6/15/06
"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:3bu3921umneifnktf...@4ax.com...

> Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?

Only that I attempted to purchase one two weeks ago but Fry's was already
out of stock. :-( However, the display on the floor sample looked *great*
(nice and bright, wonderful contrast), and the reviews here -->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116381 <-- are
generally quite good.

> I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat for that price; I was prepared to buy it at $330!

Since it's a widescreen display (1680x1050), do you have a relatively recent
video card (say, no more than 2-3years old)? If not, you may find that your
video card doesn't support the native resolution and, in a word, will look
like junk. If possible you'll want to use a DVI connection, although I've
found that these days the analog inputs on most LCDs are pretty good and
correctly phase-lock to the video card's pixel clock.

> (My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
> contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to

You're going to find that you suddenly have a lot of empty desk space!

Given that you're not exactly poor, you might want to take a look at some of
the 24" 1920x1200 widescreens such as the Dell 2405 (~$800-$1000 depending
on rebate/discount timing); I have one at work and it's the best display
I've ever used.

---Joel

Jim Thompson

Jun 15, 2006, 9:00:57 PM6/15/06

Joerg, What is it you don't like about the flat screen monitors?

My wife has a 21" neovo in her office and she likes it just fine. The
few times I've set there fixing her double-clicking-while-the-
mouse-is-moving messes (;-) I haven't had any problems with it.

Jim Thompson

Jun 15, 2006, 9:15:04 PM6/15/06

Since PSpice can support two monitors, schematic on one, Probe display
on the other, I'm considering two side-by-side.

I also saw a 30" monitor a few days ago (being used for I/C layout)...
you need good eyes to sit back far enough from it to see everything.

Looks like I'm going to need to buy video cards as well :-(

Joerg

Jun 15, 2006, 9:55:55 PM6/15/06
Hello Jim,

> Joerg, What is it you don't like about the flat screen monitors?
>
> My wife has a 21" neovo in her office and she likes it just fine. The
> few times I've set there fixing her double-clicking-while-the-
> mouse-is-moving messes (;-) I haven't had any problems with it.

Oh, they are ok, I just prefer CRTs. Here in the office there is one LCD
and one CRT right next to each other. In the lab it's LCD only. When
doing lengthy CAD sessions I find that it's easier on the CRT. More
contrast, more brightness, more performance in summer when the blinds
aren't fully closed. CRTs simply have more gusto.

mc

Jun 15, 2006, 10:36:48 PM6/15/06
> Joerg, What is it you don't like about the flat screen monitors?

I second the question :)

If a flatscreen is set to the wrong video mode, it can be quite blurry. If
set to its preferred video mode, it is perfectly sharp, better than any CRT
and also much brighter. Bear in mind that an LCD flatscreen has only one
resolution (e.g., 1024x768 or 1280x1024 or whatever) at which it is sharp.

mc

Jun 15, 2006, 10:37:24 PM6/15/06
> Oh, they are ok, I just prefer CRTs. Here in the office there is one LCD
> and one CRT right next to each other. In the lab it's LCD only. When doing
> lengthy CAD sessions I find that it's easier on the CRT. More contrast,
> more brightness, more performance in summer when the blinds aren't fully
> closed. CRTs simply have more gusto.

Something is dreadfully wrong with your LCD! LCDs are much brighter than
CRTs, have more contrast, and are sharper.

mc

Jun 15, 2006, 10:38:27 PM6/15/06
>>Since it's a widescreen display (1680x1050), do you have a relatively
>>recent
>>video card (say, no more than 2-3years old)? If not, you may find that
>>your
>>video card doesn't support the native resolution and, in a word, will look
>>like junk. If possible you'll want to use a DVI connection, although I've
>>found that these days the analog inputs on most LCDs are pretty good and
>>correctly phase-lock to the video card's pixel clock.

ALSO -- How many pixels per inch does that work out to? You don't want more
than about 100 pixels per inch, or everything on the screen will be TINY!
Flyspeck type!

Joel Kolstad

Jun 15, 2006, 10:47:26 PM6/15/06
"mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message

> ALSO -- How many pixels per inch does that work out to? You don't want
> more than about 100 pixels per inch, or everything on the screen will be
> TINY! Flyspeck type!

That's why God (Bill Gates) and a few demi-Gods (Linux Torvalds, Steve Jobs)
gave you adjustable font sizes...

Personally, I'm near-sighted and prefer a higher density pixel pitch... but
(like Jim) I suspect that a 30" monitor would be largely wasted on me; 24"
is about my limit.

Michael

Jun 15, 2006, 11:14:41 PM6/15/06

Good flat-screen CRTs are very nice - I'm on my second one - but no LCD I've
seen measures up. I recommend you try LCD on *your* system with *your* apps.
and judge for yourself.

--
Michael

mc

Jun 15, 2006, 11:57:38 PM6/15/06

"Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad7...@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message

> "mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message
>> ALSO -- How many pixels per inch does that work out to? You don't want
>> more than about 100 pixels per inch, or everything on the screen will be
>> TINY! Flyspeck type!
>
> That's why God (Bill Gates) and a few demi-Gods (Linux Torvalds, Steve
> Jobs) gave you adjustable font sizes...

The problem is, in Windows 2000 and XP, although you can adjust the pixels
per inch, some things don't scale properly. (Pictures, for instance, can
come out very ugly.) There is a push toward an all-vector-graphics approach
in Windows Vista precisely so that things won't shrink whenever you get a
higher-resolution screen.

Chuck Harris

Jun 15, 2006, 11:59:40 PM6/15/06
Michael wrote:

> Good flat-screen CRTs are very nice - I'm on my second one - but no LCD I've
> seen measures up. I recommend you try LCD on *your* system with *your* apps.
> and judge for yourself.

On this, I cannot agree! If you think a tube is better, you are using a lousy
LCD for comparison. I did a side by side, and my 21 inch Princeton is vastly better
than the 21 inch IIYAMA I was using... and the IIYAMA was one hell of a monitor!

LCD's have a brighter screen, more contrast, higher resolution, perfect linearity,
and less flicker. The only areas where they are wanting is the screens won't take
much physical abuse, and the are too slow for the shoot-em-up games that some kids
like to play.

-Chuck

Chuck Harris

Jun 16, 2006, 12:02:12 AM6/16/06
> Jim Thompson wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>
> I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>
> (My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
> contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
> ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

If that is all that is bothering you, replace the silly electrolytic
that is failing, and go another 14 years.

Me personally, I was happy to get rid of the few hundred watts cooking
on my desktop 24/7.

-Chuck

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 16, 2006, 12:20:10 AM6/16/06

I prefer CRTs to LCDs as well. Right now I have a HP P1130 with a
max resolution of 2048 by 1536. I have several 17" LCD monitors. One
that the power supply cable was damaged, and I haven't bothered to
replace the damaged coaxial power connector. Another has bad CFL lamps,
and a third that just gives me a white screen. I still prefer the CRT
because the LCD monitors I've used caused a lot of eye strain. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Deefoo

Jun 16, 2006, 3:52:02 AM6/16/06

"Chuck Harris" <cf-NO-SP...@erols.com> wrote in message

Funny that you all are into bright screens, I often find screens much too
bright. I usually replace the default window white background by light gray
*and* turn the brightness down. I hate watching tv in the dark, I guess I
have sensitive eyes.

--DF

Robert Baer

Jun 16, 2006, 4:00:18 AM6/16/06
mc wrote:

How about the screen acting like a PostScript printer?
One can have vector or dot matrix or mixed representation of the pix,
and the support of the monitor will do the translation, and nothing will
care about the monitor's M.O. ...

Richard Henry

Jun 16, 2006, 10:16:49 AM6/16/06

"mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message

Agreed. And take up less room on your desk, generate less heat, consume
less power, and are less likely to generate x-rays.

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Jun 16, 2006, 10:21:59 AM6/16/06

"Joerg" <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message

I.M.O. The flatscreens are much, much better when aligned properly´!

Besides, the CRT uses more energy which is money out of the pocket
that ultimately goes in support of terrorism - Islamic or State!!

Jim Thompson

Jun 16, 2006, 10:49:28 AM6/16/06
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:00:18 GMT, Robert Baer
<rober...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>mc wrote:

[snip]

>> The problem is, in Windows 2000 and XP, although you can adjust the pixels
>> per inch, some things don't scale properly.

[snip]

How is that adjustment done?

Joerg

Jun 16, 2006, 12:59:06 PM6/16/06
mc wrote:

Hmm, it's not just one. Once they had numerous TVs on display at Costco
and the sun was shining into the entrance. The "old" CRT technology
really stuck out in terms of contrast and visibility.

Nico Coesel

Jun 16, 2006, 3:04:56 PM6/16/06
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>
>I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>
>(My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
>contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
>;-)

Forget about the cheap crap. Get an Eizo LCD monitor. Nothing compares
(including Iiyama or Sony) to that. The electronics still make the
difference between a good or a bad LCD monitor.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Nico Coesel

Jun 16, 2006, 3:27:58 PM6/16/06
"Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad7...@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

>You're going to find that you suddenly have a lot of empty desk space!
>
>Given that you're not exactly poor, you might want to take a look at some of
>the 24" 1920x1200 widescreens such as the Dell 2405 (~$800-$1000 depending
>on rebate/discount timing); I have one at work and it's the best display
>I've ever used.

One of my colleagues has one on his desk for a project he is working
on. It truly is an awesome monitor!

Nico Coesel

Jun 16, 2006, 3:29:32 PM6/16/06
"Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad7...@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

>"mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message
>> ALSO -- How many pixels per inch does that work out to? You don't want
>> more than about 100 pixels per inch, or everything on the screen will be
>> TINY! Flyspeck type!
>
>That's why God (Bill Gates) and a few demi-Gods (Linux Torvalds, Steve Jobs)
>gave you adjustable font sizes...

I wish they gave us adjustable line widths too.

Joel Kolstad

Jun 16, 2006, 3:48:05 PM6/16/06
"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:76h5929j26tin208r...@4ax.com...

> How is that adjustment done?

For XP... right-click an empty part of the
desktop->Properties->Settings->Advanced->DPI setting->Custom setting.

As Robert says, there are a few programs out there that don't "scale" well;
they're rather uncommon these days, though (becoming less and less common
over the past 54 years or so...)

---Joel

Jim Thompson

Jun 16, 2006, 3:53:44 PM6/16/06
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:48:05 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
<JKolstad7...@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

>"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
>message news:76h5929j26tin208r...@4ax.com...
>> How is that adjustment done?
>
>For XP... right-click an empty part of the
>desktop->Properties->Settings->Advanced->DPI setting->Custom setting.

Aha! I didn't even know that was there. Thanks!

>As Robert says, there are a few programs out there that don't "scale" well;
>they're rather uncommon these days, though (becoming less and less common
>over the past 54 years or so...)
>
>---Joel

Joerg

Jun 16, 2006, 8:21:39 PM6/16/06
mc wrote:

Well, yeah, but I would assume that if a PC has been delivered as a
complete set with monitor and pre-configured by Dell or a company like
that it must be set to that resolution. Same for LCD-TV sets at the stores.

The resolution isn't the issue. It's the incredible contrast that CRTs
can deliver in high ambient light situations that I like. With TVs there
is another issue but probably not related to the LCD itself: Objects in
fast motion often don't look good on LCD.

It's similar with scopes. LCD screen are ok for mundane work. But when
it comes to finding subtle phase glitches, runt pulses, wee noises and
stuff like that nothing beats the old CRT. 'tis why you'll see a lot of
those in my lab.

Joerg

Jun 16, 2006, 8:34:29 PM6/16/06
Hello Michael,

> Good flat-screen CRTs are very nice - I'm on my second one - but no LCD I've
> seen measures up. I recommend you try LCD on *your* system with *your* apps.
> and judge for yourself.

Yes. Got a perfectly flat 21" Trinitron tube here. Really nice for
lengthy CAD work.

Chuck Harris

Jun 16, 2006, 10:22:57 PM6/16/06
Joerg wrote:

> The resolution isn't the issue. It's the incredible contrast that CRTs
> can deliver in high ambient light situations that I like. With TVs there
> is another issue but probably not related to the LCD itself: Objects in
> fast motion often don't look good on LCD.
>
> It's similar with scopes. LCD screen are ok for mundane work. But when
> it comes to finding subtle phase glitches, runt pulses, wee noises and
> stuff like that nothing beats the old CRT. 'tis why you'll see a lot of
> those in my lab.

Yes, but that isn't an LCD vs CRT issue, that is a digital vs analog
scope issue.

-Chuck

The Real Andy

Jun 17, 2006, 12:26:57 AM6/17/06
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:04:56 GMT, ni...@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel)
wrote:

>Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>>
>>I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>>
>>(My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
>>contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
>>;-)
>
>Forget about the cheap crap. Get an Eizo LCD monitor. Nothing compares
>(including Iiyama or Sony) to that. The electronics still make the
>difference between a good or a bad LCD monitor.

OR even better, get one of these:

http://www.necdisplay.com/products/ProductDetail.cfm?Product=425

Looks like NEC is back in the game..

The Real Andy

Jun 17, 2006, 12:29:51 AM6/17/06
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:15:04 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:59:41 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
><JKolstad7...@Yahoo.Com> wrote:
>
>>"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
>>message news:3bu3921umneifnktf...@4ax.com...

>>> Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>>

>>Only that I attempted to purchase one two weeks ago but Fry's was already
>>out of stock. :-( However, the display on the floor sample looked *great*
>>(nice and bright, wonderful contrast), and the reviews here -->
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116381 <-- are
>>generally quite good.

>>> I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>>

>>I'd buy it in a heartbeat for that price; I was prepared to buy it at $330!

>>Since it's a widescreen display (1680x1050), do you have a relatively recent
>>video card (say, no more than 2-3years old)? If not, you may find that your
>>video card doesn't support the native resolution and, in a word, will look
>>like junk. If possible you'll want to use a DVI connection, although I've
>>found that these days the analog inputs on most LCDs are pretty good and
>>correctly phase-lock to the video card's pixel clock.
>>

>>> (My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
>>> contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
>>

>>You're going to find that you suddenly have a lot of empty desk space!
>>
>>Given that you're not exactly poor, you might want to take a look at some of
>>the 24" 1920x1200 widescreens such as the Dell 2405 (~$800-$1000 depending
>>on rebate/discount timing); I have one at work and it's the best display
>>I've ever used.
>>

>>---Joel
>>

>Since PSpice can support two monitors, schematic on one, Probe display
>on the other, I'm considering two side-by-side.
>
>I also saw a 30" monitor a few days ago (being used for I/C layout)...
>you need good eyes to sit back far enough from it to see everything.
>
>Looks like I'm going to need to buy video cards as well :-(
>
> ...Jim Thompson

I run two 19" LCD's. Code/debug in one, run the app I am writing in
the other. When I am not debugging code, i run outlook in the other
monitor so i can see my email come in.

It also saves you from printing documents, cause you can work from a
PDF in one screen and code/draw in the other.

Some of the guys at work run three LCD's, but that is too many for me.

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 17, 2006, 3:25:46 AM6/17/06
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:26:57 +1000, The Real Andy
<will_get_back_to_you_on_This@b.c> Gave us:

To pay that much for a 20ms response display... sad.

Won't see this kid calling that a value. Maybe if it was a wide
form factor at 27 plus inches... Where is that fractal image at,
I'll put it up on my screen and post a picture...

Progressive scan is cool. I can take pictures and video of my
screen!

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 17, 2006, 3:59:21 AM6/17/06
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:59:06 GMT, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> Gave us:

I have a Toshiba "combo" CRT display at 37 inches. It does 4:3
standard NTSC as well as HDTV modes via component or DVI interface.

I have a ViewSonic 32" HDTV HDMI LCD flat panel display that I
consider to be awesome.

CRTs are still king, however.

In fact, the flat panel displays that are displacing them are doing
so despite not being as good.

The reason? COST OF MANUFACTURE. Hot plastic is a lot cheaper per
square foot than hot glass will ever be.

Jasen Betts

Jun 17, 2006, 3:58:07 AM6/17/06
On 2006-06-16, Joerg <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
> Hello Jim,

>> Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>>
>> I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>>
>> (My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
>> contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
>> ;-)
>>

> I had the "pleasure" to work in front of a flatscreen at a client for a
> few hours. Didn't enjoy it. When my previous monitor began to have
> "bzzzzt... bang" episodes I replaced it with a real CRT monitor.

properly installed and congfiggured they can be realy nice.
I used a CMV 19" widescreen (1440*900) and after setting it up to get the
sync signals like it said in the manual found it to be better than the
Viewsonic E70 it replaced

--

Bye.
Jasen

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 17, 2006, 4:43:05 AM6/17/06
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:58:07 -0000, Jasen Betts <ja...@free.net.nz>
Gave us:

Download the images I posted.

Joerg

Jun 17, 2006, 10:02:54 AM6/17/06
Hello Roy,

> I have a Toshiba "combo" CRT display at 37 inches. It does 4:3
> standard NTSC as well as HDTV modes via component or DVI interface.
>
> I have a ViewSonic 32" HDTV HDMI LCD flat panel display that I
> consider to be awesome.
>
> CRTs are still king, however.

I'll second that :-)

> In fact, the flat panel displays that are displacing them are doing
> so despite not being as good.

I believe there is a lot of "boast factor" in it. People want to show
neighbors that they entered the Jetson's world with a flat screen that
is bigger than everyone else's, or show the guy in the next cubicle that
they have a new flat screen and thus must be more important than others.

> The reason? COST OF MANUFACTURE. Hot plastic is a lot cheaper per
> square foot than hot glass will ever be.

So far my impression is that, at least for TVs, a CRT version of same
size is cheaper at the store. And better. If there was an announcement
that the last CRT factory would shut down I'd probably run out there to
buy a TV set. So far I am not afraid that's going to happen.

Joerg

Jun 17, 2006, 10:04:17 AM6/17/06
Hello Chuck,

It's both. A LCD cannot do this, no matter what electronics are behind it.

Michael

Jun 17, 2006, 11:35:36 AM6/17/06

I'll make do with a 19" until my rich uncle dies. ;-)

--
Michael

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 17, 2006, 12:02:52 PM6/17/06

Is that the one stuck in a wheel chair and lives at the top of a very
steep hill? ;-)

Chuck Harris

Jun 17, 2006, 4:01:44 PM6/17/06
Joerg wrote:

>> Yes, but that isn't an LCD vs CRT issue, that is a digital vs analog
>> scope issue.
>>

> It's both. A LCD cannot do this, no matter what electronics are behind it.

No, it isn't both. While the LCD is inherently a digital device in the way
it has been used in oscilloscopes. The failings of a digital LCD scope are
exactly the same as the failings of a digital CRT scope. It is the digital
nature that makes each equally hard to work with.

-Chuck

Nico Coesel

Jun 17, 2006, 4:14:39 PM6/17/06

You can do that with any TFT display since the image is static. There
is no scanning involved. I did some measurements on a TFT screen and
the only ripple in lumination you'll find is caused by the back light.

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 17, 2006, 5:33:05 PM6/17/06
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:01:44 -0400, Chuck Harris
<cf-NO-SP...@erols.com> Gave us:

That's why they have made it ONLY the display device. The actual
sample of the event(s) get(s) stored. So one can zoom in on and see
as detailed a trace as one needs.

Joerg

Jun 17, 2006, 9:03:42 PM6/17/06
Hello Chuck,

Agree, a digital scope with a CRT isn't able to find a lot of things.
But I stand by my opinion that there is hardly a way to make a good,
fast analog scope with a LCD. And here I mean a scope that can show the
wee thickening of a trace at 5nsec/div because an unwanted modulated
carrier intruded on a signal.

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 17, 2006, 9:25:16 PM6/17/06
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 01:03:42 GMT, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> Gave us:

>Hello Chuck,

The resolution of a modern scope is not a function of the display
that the final result is rendered on. That's the whole point of
digital storage and signal analysis.

One must look at the stored data and make INFORMATION out of it. The
way you examine it on the scope will be the determining factor in that
effort, and it doesn't have to happen in real time.

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 17, 2006, 10:46:04 PM6/17/06
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 01:03:42 GMT, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> Gave us:

>Agree, a digital scope with a CRT isn't able to find a lot of things.

You guys must be talking about the old stuff.

Michael

Jun 17, 2006, 11:03:15 PM6/17/06

(gasp!) You know him?!

--
Michael

joseph2k

Jun 18, 2006, 12:36:49 AM6/18/06
Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

> "Joerg" <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Hello Jim,

>> > Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>> >
>> > I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>> >
>> > (My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
>> > contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they
> used to
>> > ;-)
>> >

>> I had the "pleasure" to work in front of a flatscreen at a client
> for a
>> few hours. Didn't enjoy it. When my previous monitor began to have
>> "bzzzzt... bang" episodes I replaced it with a real CRT monitor.
>

> I.M.O. The flatscreens are much, much better when aligned properly´!
>
> Besides, the CRT uses more energy which is money out of the pocket
> that ultimately goes in support of terrorism - Islamic or State!!

Nice finish.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

joseph2k

Jun 18, 2006, 12:49:14 AM6/18/06
Nico Coesel wrote:

> "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad7...@Yahoo.Com> wrote:
>
>>"mc" <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message
>>> ALSO -- How many pixels per inch does that work out to? You don't want
>>> more than about 100 pixels per inch, or everything on the screen will be
>>> TINY! Flyspeck type!
>>
>>That's why God (Bill Gates) and a few demi-Gods (Linux Torvalds, Steve
Jobs)
>>gave you adjustable font sizes...
>>

> I wish they gave us adjustable line widths too.

Both M$windows and Xwindows have adjustable line widths available at the API
level and many programs provide user access to to these controls.

joseph2k

Jun 18, 2006, 1:22:33 AM6/18/06
Nico Coesel wrote:

I believe that you are misunderstanding the issues. LCD displays (including
the dominanant TFT systems) update as frequently as any CRT. CRT displays
have an exponential decay line by line of absolute luminance due to
scanning. The luminosity decay that cause problems when converting to
other media (photographs) is well known and understood, as well the means
to combat them.

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 18, 2006, 1:47:12 AM6/18/06

Know him? I saw you greasing his wheels, too! ;-)

The Real Andy

Jun 18, 2006, 7:49:23 AM6/18/06
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:34:29 GMT, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Hello Michael,
>

>> Good flat-screen CRTs are very nice - I'm on my second one - but no LCD I've
>> seen measures up. I recommend you try LCD on *your* system with *your* apps.
>> and judge for yourself.
>>

>Yes. Got a perfectly flat 21" Trinitron tube here. Really nice for
>lengthy CAD work.

I just recently (last 6 months) ditched a 21" Sony trinitron for 2 19"
LCD's. I will never go back, and i think my eyesight agrees. An LCD
cannot go out of focus like an LCD does. I cant work on a CRT these
days, cuase they all look out of focus to me.

Joerg

Jun 18, 2006, 5:11:01 PM6/18/06
Hello Roy,

> The resolution of a modern scope is not a function of the display
> that the final result is rendered on. That's the whole point of
> digital storage and signal analysis.
>
> One must look at the stored data and make INFORMATION out of it. The
> way you examine it on the scope will be the determining factor in that
> effort, and it doesn't have to happen in real time.

That holds true if all the information can be digitized at reasonable
cost. However, often fast single shot conversions don't yield more than
5-6 effective bits of resolution. Unless you have an almost infinite
budget :-)

I just talked to a guy from Intel who is in charge of this arena. Made
me drool. Thing is, I do not have Intel's budget for my lab.

Joerg

Jun 18, 2006, 7:09:40 PM6/18/06
Hello Andy,

> I just recently (last 6 months) ditched a 21" Sony trinitron for 2 19"
> LCD's. I will never go back, and i think my eyesight agrees. An LCD
> cannot go out of focus like an LCD does. I cant work on a CRT these
> days, cuase they all look out of focus to me.

Guess it's different between people. I can work 12 hours on a 21" CRT.
Same on an LCD but not if there is too much ambient light, especially
from fluorescents.

Good CRTs don't go out of focus. The only time I had that happen was
with a 15" Multi-Sync. But that was after almost 15 years of non-stop
operation. The plastic of the monitor had already turned from white to
beige.

Michael A. Terrell

Jun 18, 2006, 8:37:49 PM6/18/06

Ironic isn't it? The monitor gets a nice suntan, and the user
doesn't! ;-)

Tom Del Rosso

Jun 19, 2006, 12:47:29 AM6/19/06
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> typed
in news://pe0492pflq08a92c8...@4ax.com,

> double-clicking-while-the-mouse-is-moving messes

Did you install TweakUI? With it you can set a parameter to ignore a
certain amount of movement while double-clicking, and a parameter to ignore
click-and-drag moves if the distance is below a minimum.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Jim Thompson

Jun 19, 2006, 11:04:25 AM6/19/06
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 04:47:29 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso"

>Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> typed
>in news://pe0492pflq08a92c8...@4ax.com,
>
>> double-clicking-while-the-mouse-is-moving messes
>
>Did you install TweakUI? With it you can set a parameter to ignore a
>certain amount of movement while double-clicking, and a parameter to ignore
>click-and-drag moves if the distance is below a minimum.

Thanks, Tom, I'll look into that.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
| E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |

Tom Del Rosso

Jun 19, 2006, 2:25:40 PM6/19/06
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> typed
in news://l51492lboa863noku...@4ax.com,

> Since PSpice can support two monitors, schematic on one, Probe display
> on the other, I'm considering two side-by-side.

Ever see a picture of Bill Gates' desk? Three 21" monitors on one PC,
arranged like a fitting mirror.

Also remember what Speff once said about multiple monitors: If they are not
exactly the same size it's disorientating.

> I also saw a 30" monitor a few days ago (being used for I/C layout)...
> you need good eyes to sit back far enough from it to see everything.
>
> Looks like I'm going to need to buy video cards as well :-(

Stick with Matrox for quality and drivers that work.

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 19, 2006, 11:52:32 PM6/19/06
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:25:40 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso"

>Ever see a picture of Bill Gates' desk? Three 21" monitors on one PC,
>arranged like a fitting mirror.

All looking at stocks, and holdings trends.

Tom Del Rosso

Jun 20, 2006, 12:23:28 AM6/20/06
Roy L. Fuchs <royl...@urfargingicehole.org> typed
in news://i6se92h0h1vqg5khl...@4ax.com,

What else would he want to look at? Bug reports? Lists of competitors'
features that his products won't have for another 7 years?

fpga...@yahoo.com

Jun 20, 2006, 12:42:39 AM6/20/06
Joel Kolstad wrote:
> Given that you're not exactly poor, you might want to take a look at some of
> the 24" 1920x1200 widescreens such as the Dell 2405 (~$800-$1000 depending
> on rebate/discount timing); I have one at work and it's the best display
> I've ever used.

I second everyone switching to new large LCD's .... it's means I have a
steady supply of SGI/Sun/Viewsonice Sony flat screen 21" monitors that
I like much better :)) At under a $100/ea used, my desk has three of
them, so I can keep schematics, pcb layout, and multiple data sheet
PDF's open at the same time. Sure they fill the entire back of my desk
and hang over the back edge, but on the other hand, I don't need a desk
clutered with printouts anymore either. And all for less than the price
of a single high res LCD display.

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 20, 2006, 3:54:47 AM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 04:23:28 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso"

>Roy L. Fuchs <royl...@urfargingicehole.org> typed
>in news://i6se92h0h1vqg5khl...@4ax.com,
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:25:40 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso"
>>
>>> Ever see a picture of Bill Gates' desk? Three 21" monitors on one
>>> PC, arranged like a fitting mirror.
>>
>> All looking at stocks, and holdings trends.
>
>What else would he want to look at? Bug reports? Lists of competitors'
>features that his products won't have for another 7 years?

I am sure that at this point, he has staff that looks at "bug
reports" unless they are pretty darned serious bugs.

Competitors? Who? Future Features? I'm sure that he has "Idea men"
hired and research staff appointed, as well as test "users".

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 20, 2006, 3:57:23 AM6/20/06
On 19 Jun 2006 21:42:39 -0700, fpga...@yahoo.com Gave us:

If you had DLd my image the other day, you would see that the HDTV
hi res LCD FPD has multiple roles.

I can watch HD DVD films (as well as regular DVDs), I can watch the
news... I can watch my off air HDTV channels...

What more can I say? It was worth every penny.

The Real Andy

Jun 20, 2006, 7:40:46 AM6/20/06

I think he does charity handouts and minor PR shit now. In fact, now
he is retiring permanently to doing the charity stuff (and it is not
handing out free copies of windows).

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 20, 2006, 8:54:42 AM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:40:46 +1000, The Real Andy
<will_get_back_to_you_on_This@b.c> Gave us:

> (and it is not

>handing out free copies of windows).

Ever.

It would be cool to see "lifetime licenses" being given away.

Jim Thompson

Jun 20, 2006, 10:44:02 AM6/20/06

What multiple monitor video card is recommended?

Keith

Jun 20, 2006, 1:21:14 PM6/20/06
In article <gc2g9251igfoog6s8...@4ax.com>, To-Email-
Use-The-En...@My-Web-Site.com says...

> On 19 Jun 2006 21:42:39 -0700, fpga...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >Joel Kolstad wrote:
> >> Given that you're not exactly poor, you might want to take a look at some of
> >> the 24" 1920x1200 widescreens such as the Dell 2405 (~$800-$1000 depending
> >> on rebate/discount timing); I have one at work and it's the best display
> >> I've ever used.
> >
> >I second everyone switching to new large LCD's .... it's means I have a
> >steady supply of SGI/Sun/Viewsonice Sony flat screen 21" monitors that
> >I like much better :)) At under a $100/ea used, my desk has three of
> >them, so I can keep schematics, pcb layout, and multiple data sheet
> >PDF's open at the same time. Sure they fill the entire back of my desk
> >and hang over the back edge, but on the other hand, I don't need a desk
> >clutered with printouts anymore either. And all for less than the price
> >of a single high res LCD display.

CRT monitors suck for graphics like schematics (and I'm sure PCB
layout, but I've never done it). The perfect geometry of LCDs is
worth every penny (and LCDs are coming way down in price). I just
pushed an old IBM G94 off my home desk and replaced it with a
laptop and a 20.1" widescreen LCD display. The Viewsonic P95Fb
will go back on line as soon as I decide on a graphics card for the
docking station (the laptop only drives one external display
directly). My plan is to use the CRT display mainly for photo
editing.

> What multiple monitor video card is recommended?

I like the Matrox series for business graphics but their Linux
driver support isn't. :-(

--
Keith

Spehro Pefhany

Jun 20, 2006, 1:38:23 PM6/20/06

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big
high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in
dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right
monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still
print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Jim Thompson

Jun 20, 2006, 1:59:41 PM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:38:23 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

[snip]

>I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big
>high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in
>dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right
>monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still
>print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.
>

>Best regards,
>Spehro Pefhany

Turns out that the PSpice machine has an ATI Radeon 9600 card in it.

I'm really clueless about this sort of thing.

Does this card support two monitors?

Spehro Pefhany

Jun 20, 2006, 2:34:34 PM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:59:41 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:38:23 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
><spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>>
>>I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big
>>high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in
>>dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right
>>monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still
>>print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.
>>

>>Best regards,
>>Spehro Pefhany
>
>Turns out that the PSpice machine has an ATI Radeon 9600 card in it.
>
>I'm really clueless about this sort of thing.
>
>Does this card support two monitors?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Apparently it supports two, but one has to be analog and the other
digital. It also has a resolution limitation on widesreen of only 1080
vertical.

My one is actually made by Sapphire, with the ATI chipset.

I usually just ask my computer shop guy about stuff like this, and
check the web for compatibility issues, especially with CAD programs,
some of which are pretty fussy, and, in that business, the features
and tradeoffs tend to have changed a lot between my purchases.

Keith

Jun 20, 2006, 2:37:11 PM6/20/06
In article <jodg92pa0ka884u0a...@4ax.com>, To-Email-
Use-The-En...@My-Web-Site.com says...

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:38:23 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
> <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> >I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big
> >high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in
> >dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right
> >monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still
> >print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.
> >

> >Best regards,
> >Spehro Pefhany
>
> Turns out that the PSpice machine has an ATI Radeon 9600 card in it.

"ATI Radeon 9600" is a graphics chisp(set). Who knows who made the
actual card.

> I'm really clueless about this sort of thing.
>
> Does this card support two monitors?

There may be features left off, but the ATI chip supports multile
monitors: http://www.ati.com/products/MobilityRadeon9600/index.html
Has it got two connectors on the back? One is likely a DVI port,
which can be adapted to VGA, or not.

--
Keith

Keith

Jun 20, 2006, 2:58:30 PM6/20/06
In article <oqeg92hu1t2mfup31...@4ax.com>,
spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat says...

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:59:41 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
> <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:38:23 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
> ><spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >>
> >>I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big
> >>high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in
> >>dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right
> >>monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still
> >>print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.
> >>

> >>Best regards,
> >>Spehro Pefhany
> >
> >Turns out that the PSpice machine has an ATI Radeon 9600 card in it.
> >
> >I'm really clueless about this sort of thing.
> >
> >Does this card support two monitors?
> >
> > ...Jim Thompson
>
> Apparently it supports two, but one has to be analog and the other
> digital.

My bet is that the DVI connector (if there is one) is a DVI-I
connector (includes the analog VGA signals). There is a simple
adapter that'll pick out the analog signals and convert to a
standard VGA connector. Most cards come with these.

To see which DVI connector it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

> It also has a resolution limitation on widesreen of only 1080
> vertical.

Single link DVI has a bandwidth limitation that creeps in about
here (165MHz) but dual link doesn't. Again, the above link shows
the connector differences.

> My one is actually made by Sapphire, with the ATI chipset.
>
> I usually just ask my computer shop guy about stuff like this, and
> check the web for compatibility issues, especially with CAD programs,
> some of which are pretty fussy, and, in that business, the features
> and tradeoffs tend to have changed a lot between my purchases.

Any half-height dual head cards to recommend?

--
Keith

David Jordan

Jun 20, 2006, 3:00:31 PM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:38:23 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big
>high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in
>dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right
>monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still
>print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.

I had this with my new Philips 200W. The screen would blank for a
second sometimes when I opened a menu or moved a large window. I
assume the right hand monitor is the one on the DVI port of the card?

I fixed the problem by selecting "Alternate DVI operational mode" from
the advanced... options... tab of the display settings.

As for the suitability of LCDs for graphics work... Some monitors have
an sRGB setting and come with an appropriate sRGB file which things
like Photoshop can use.

Manufacturers do seem to inflate the contrast ratio figues by making
the backlight REALLY BRIGHT, far too bright for normal use, it casts a
shadow on the wall behind you.

Dave.

Rich Grise

Jun 20, 2006, 3:36:54 PM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:44:02 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

> On 19 Jun 2006 21:42:39 -0700, fpga...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>Joel Kolstad wrote:
>>> Given that you're not exactly poor, you might want to take a look at some of
>>> the 24" 1920x1200 widescreens such as the Dell 2405 (~$800-$1000 depending
>>> on rebate/discount timing); I have one at work and it's the best display
>>> I've ever used.
>>
>>I second everyone switching to new large LCD's .... it's means I have a
>>steady supply of SGI/Sun/Viewsonice Sony flat screen 21" monitors that
>>I like much better :)) At under a $100/ea used, my desk has three of
>>them, so I can keep schematics, pcb layout, and multiple data sheet
>>PDF's open at the same time. Sure they fill the entire back of my desk
>>and hang over the back edge, but on the other hand, I don't need a desk
>>clutered with printouts anymore either. And all for less than the price
>>of a single high res LCD display.
>
> What multiple monitor video card is recommended?

I once got a Matrox Millennium off Ebay - it had two outputs, but one was
a weird connector (like a DB-23 or something) which I didn't use - it was
only my secondary display.

But it died. )-; Not that Matrox isn't a fine product, but some Ebay stuff
is a little bit risky.

Thanks,
Rich

Martine Riddle

Jun 20, 2006, 6:51:51 PM6/20/06
"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:3bu3921umneifnktf...@4ax.com...

> Anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2025WM LCD Monitor?
>
> I can buy it for $250 after rebates and promotional discounts.
>
> (My NEC Multisync XE21 is starting to go too bright without enough
> contrast after 14+ years... they just don't make 'em like they used to
> ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

The View Sonics are pretty good. But if your physically looking at more
than one Id go for a CRT. The LCD's tend to be inconsistant in brightness
across the screen and looking at one then looking at another one , you'll
see the artifacts.

Cheers

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 20, 2006, 11:31:23 PM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:21:14 -0400, Keith <k...@att.bizzzz> Gave us:

Nvidia OEMers and Nvidia by ASUS as well as ATI's stuff all have
quite successful dual monitor mode video cards... most of which
include Linux support and drivers.

Then, there is SLI. FOUR video ports!

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 20, 2006, 11:32:54 PM6/20/06
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:59:41 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> Gave us:

>On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:38:23 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
><spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>>
>>I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big
>>high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in
>>dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right
>>monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still
>>print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.
>>

>>Best regards,
>>Spehro Pefhany
>
>Turns out that the PSpice machine has an ATI Radeon 9600 card in it.
>
>I'm really clueless about this sort of thing.
>
>Does this card support two monitors?

Isn't *that* what you saw the "PSpice machine" doing?

Keith

Jun 21, 2006, 11:03:28 AM6/21/06
In article <f7fh921qekjn3tvlb...@4ax.com>,
royl...@urfargingicehole.org says...

I'll have to look at ASUS' offerings. I've been warned off ATI for
Linux though.

> Then, there is SLI. FOUR video ports!

You don't need SLI to get four video ports. Matrox makes four port
cards and one can also use two two port cards, or four...

--
Keith

Roy L. Fuchs

Jun 22, 2006, 1:07:45 AM6/22/06
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:03:28 -0400, Keith <k...@att.bizzzz> Gave us:

Yes, but only one GPU, and only one bus pipe.

Keith

Jun 22, 2006, 12:39:29 PM6/22/06
In article <ab9k92le14f87mkpg...@4ax.com>,
royl...@urfargingicehole.org says...

The desktop can cover as many graphics cards as fit in the syetem.

--
Keith

Tom Del Rosso

Jun 23, 2006, 10:45:02 AM6/23/06
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> typed
in news://l51492lboa863noku...@4ax.com,

> Looks like I'm going to need to buy video cards as well :-(

Do you use and DOS CAD programs? I still say to stick with Matrox, but I
just remembered there is a specific problem with MSI cards and DOS graphics.
The screen just goes blank when a DOS program uses graphics, so avoid MSI.

Ted Edwards

Jun 25, 2006, 11:46:58 AM6/25/06
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Do you use and DOS CAD programs?

I use Generic CADD (DOS program) running under eCS (ne OS/2) on a
ThinkPad T23. Works ok.

Ted