html character ~

legg

Jul 12, 2011, 12:33:47 AM7/12/11
I've recently run into the situation where an html address, including
the character ' ~ ', will not be saved or published by the venerable
Mozilla 'composer' utility ( still issued with seamonkey as the html
editor ).

Instead it pushes out ' %7E ', which my web host Primustel chokes on.
Previous host owners ( Magma ) did not choke and enforced the ' ~ '
character in the first place.

I've been editing the pages 'on-line' via a Primus file management
utility, in order to keep links clickable.

Why doesn't Mozilla's 'composer' pass the ' ~ ' character into it's
html pages, as entered? If it's interchangable with ' %7E ', then why
the choking at Primus?

RL

Glenn

Jul 12, 2011, 2:39:29 AM7/12/11

I seems that Mozilla makes a small error - and Primus makes a serious
error.

Please look here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986
Citat: "...
The URI syntax has been designed with global transcription as one of
its main considerations. A URI is a sequence of characters from a
very limited set: the letters of the basic Latin alphabet, digits, and
a few special characters.
Percent-encoded octets (Section 2.1) may be used within a URI to
represent characters outside the range of the US-ASCII coded character
set if this
2.3. Unreserved Characters

Characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved
purpose are called unreserved. These include uppercase and lowercase
letters, decimal digits, hyphen, period, underscore, and tilde.

unreserved = ALPHA / DIGIT / "-" / "." / "_" / "~"
For consistency, percent-encoded octets in the ranges of ALPHA
(%41-%5A and %61-%7A), DIGIT (%30-%39), hyphen (%2D), period (%2E),
underscore (%5F), or tilde (%7E) should not be created by URI
producers and, when found in a URI, should be decoded to their
corresponding unreserved characters by URI normalizers.
For example, the octet
corresponding to the tilde ("~") character is often encoded as
"%7E"
by older URI processing implementations; the "%7E" can be replaced
by
"~" without changing its interpretation.
..."

Glenn

legg

Jul 12, 2011, 10:15:12 AM7/12/11

Turns out that the version of 'composer' issued with Mozilla's
Seamonkey is 'improved', in order to cause this problem.

Older versions of 'composer' from previous Mozilla or Netscape
distributions will save and publish the ' ~ ' tilde symbol in a link
without any problems.

RL

JeffM

Jul 12, 2011, 2:41:38 PM7/12/11
>legg wrote:
>>I've recently run into the situation where an html address,
>>including the character ' ~ ', will not be saved or published
>>by the venerable Mozilla 'composer' utility

See "regression", below.

>>( still issued with seamonkey as the html editor ).

Its *convenience* value continues to be deprecated.

legg wrote:
>Turns out that the version of 'composer'
>issued with Mozilla's Seamonkey is 'improved',
>in order to cause this problem.

The regression was noted in a very recent thread.
"Seamonkey Composer keeps getting worse"
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/browse_frm/thread/0360ea131539746e#

>Older versions of 'composer' from previous Mozilla or Netscape
>distributions will save and publish the ' ~ ' tilde symbol in a link
>without any problems.

Yup.

Composer hasn't seen any development activity in many years.
Its developer moved on to NVU
and has since abandoned that and started BlueGriffon.

"Kaze" was another developer who picked up the Composer codebase
and turned out an improved app / bug fix called KompoZer.
There were some talks with the SeaMonkey team
about a collaboration, but it appears nothing actually came of that.

A common suggestion you will see repeated
is to forgo the "convenience" of the integrated editor
and get a **modern** HTML editor with active development.

Rich Grise

Jul 12, 2011, 6:13:27 PM7/12/11
JeffM wrote:

> A common suggestion you will see repeated
> is to forgo the "convenience" of the integrated editor
> and get a **modern** HTML editor with active development.

If you know your elbow from a hole in the ground, you can edit HTML
on notepad.

Have Fun!
Rich

JeffM

Jul 12, 2011, 6:40:02 PM7/12/11

Rich Grise wrote:
>If you know your elbow from a hole in the ground,
>you can edit HTML on notepad.

...or even using a proper text editor.

The advantage of a WYSIWYG editor is being able to
toggle back and forth between Source mode and View mode
without *saving* the file.
Some find that sort of thing convenient.
The Tags mode can also be a useful crutch.

legg

Jul 12, 2011, 10:16:19 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:40:02 -0700 (PDT), JeffM <jef...@email.com>
wrote:

The old 'composer' displays the tags placed by the new 'composer' when
the mis-edited files are reopened in the (WYSIWYG) 'normal' mode.

RL