What Happens When You Get Caught Using Somebody's Patent?

D from BC

Nov 1, 2008, 11:28:20 PM11/1/08
What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?

Guessing:

A) Cops come and arrest me
B) The lawyers try to clean me out
C) The patent owner stalks me
D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
E) I get a fined...
F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.

D from BC
myreal...@comic.com
British Columbia
Canada

Phil Allison

Nov 1, 2008, 11:30:25 PM11/1/08

"D from BC"

> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
> Guessing:
>

> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.

** I like that one best .......

...... Phil

John O'Flaherty

Nov 1, 2008, 11:49:19 PM11/1/08
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:28:20 -0700, D from BC
<myreal...@comic.com> wrote:

>What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
>Guessing:
>
>A) Cops come and arrest me
>B) The lawyers try to clean me out
>C) The patent owner stalks me
>D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
>E) I get a fined...
>F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
>G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
>H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.

The honor system requires that you use this device:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=7aKbAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,293,874

Remember, though, if you haven't paid the royalties on it you have to
use it forever.
--
John

bill....@ieee.org

Nov 2, 2008, 12:00:07 AM11/2/08
On 2 nov, 04:28, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote:
> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
> Guessing:
>
> A) Cops come and arrest me
> B) The lawyers try to clean me out
> C) The patent owner stalks me
> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
> E) I get a fined...
> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
> G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.

They take you to court and sue you; in order to avoid going broke from
paying the lawyers, they mostly then negoatiate a retroactive royalty
payment.

The court can order you to stop selling the offending embodiment of
the patented idea until the case has been decided, which tends to
strengthen their bargaining position.

On the other hand, most patents are obvious, and were invented by
somebody else long before the patent was registered, so their
bargaining postion is rarely as strong as it looks.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

D from BC

Nov 2, 2008, 12:43:49 AM11/2/08

I checked that link.
Holy crapOla patent 6293874 is useless..
That'll never be mass produced.
Only good for a few wacky ha ha's and then it's old.

I'm guessing some entertainer was trying to prevent someone from
copying his comedy act.

David L. Jones

Nov 2, 2008, 12:44:40 AM11/2/08

"John O'Flaherty" <quia...@yeeha.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:28:20 -0700, D from BC
> <myreal...@comic.com> wrote:
>
>>What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>>
>>Guessing:
>>
>>A) Cops come and arrest me
>>B) The lawyers try to clean me out
>>C) The patent owner stalks me
>>D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
>>E) I get a fined...
>>F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
>>G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
>>H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.
>
> The honor system requires that you use this device:
> http://www.google.com/patents?id=7aKbAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,293,874

Brilliant!

Dave.

Phil Hobbs

Nov 2, 2008, 1:06:03 AM11/2/08
I invented that for one of my old bosses, but unfortunately never filed
on it. He could really have used one. (This was 30 years ago in my
first job, while I was taking a year off from my undergraduate
education. It was at a camera store owned by some superannuated '60s
radicals. This character was a real piece of work: a maoist radical
turned skinflint capitalist. The one common thread was that it was All
About Him.)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

D from BC

Nov 2, 2008, 1:16:12 AM11/2/08

Gee..You make it sound ok to rip a patent. :)

However, I have no idea how royalty amounts will be determined.
Perhaps the royalties asked maybe so high it could be advantageous to
just have an 'accidental fire'. :P
Then close the company and let the fire insurance pay off the patent
lawyers :P
Just kidding...

Jasen Betts

Nov 2, 2008, 6:29:35 AM11/2/08
On 2008-11-02, D from BC <myreal...@comic.com> wrote:
> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
> Guessing:
>
> A) Cops come and arrest me
> E) I get a fined...

can't it's not a crime.

> B) The lawyers try to clean me out

possibly.

> C) The patent owner stalks me
> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.

> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.

:)

> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen

generic hitmen are cheaper :)

Bye.
Jasen

John Tserkezis

Nov 2, 2008, 7:12:20 AM11/2/08
D from BC wrote:

> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
> Guessing:
>
> A) Cops come and arrest me
> B) The lawyers try to clean me out
> C) The patent owner stalks me
> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
> E) I get a fined...
> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
> G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.

None of the above if you can pay your lawyers more than their lawyers.

If the idea is worth it, it might make up for being reamed by the lawyers.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>

Eeyore

Nov 2, 2008, 7:24:42 AM11/2/08

D from BC wrote:

> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
> Guessing:
>

> B) The lawyers try to clean me out

But they'll try that even if your kit only vaguely resembles their
patent too.

Had that happen to me at a client. We demanded a copy of the patent and
it was instantly clear it was inapplicable in our case.

FWIW, the lawyers found an about to expire patent on digital reverbs and
went round the industry making claims for payment. I gather Fender and
Peavey paid out rather than check it was crap. Syas a lot about the
quality/intellect of big company suits.

Graham

Eeyore

Nov 2, 2008, 7:26:45 AM11/2/08

D from BC wrote:

> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?

MONSTER cables tried to claim patent infringement recently on the 'blue
jeans' cable company for their pattern of RCA/phono/Cinch connector !

Posted in abse.

Graham

bill....@ieee.org

Nov 2, 2008, 7:37:09 AM11/2/08
On 2 nov, 06:16, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 21:00:07 -0700 (PDT), bill.slo...@ieee.org wrote:
> >On 2 nov, 04:28, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote:
> >> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
> >> Guessing:
>
> >> A) Cops come and arrest me
> >> B) The lawyers try to clean me out
> >> C) The patent owner stalks me
> >> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
> >> E) I get a fined...
> >> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
> >> G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
> >> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.
>
> >They take you to court and sue you; in order to avoid going broke from
> >paying the lawyers, they mostly then negoatiate a retroactive royalty
> >payment.
>
> >The court can order you to stop selling the offending embodiment of
> >the patented idea until the case has been decided, which tends to
> >strengthen their bargaining position.
>
> >On the other hand, most patents are obvious, and were invented by
> >somebody else long before the patent was registered, so their
> >bargaining postion is rarely as strong as it looks.
>
> Gee..You make it sound ok to rip a patent. :)

Depends on the patent. Some patents do represent genuine breakthroughs
- of my father's 25, at least two qualify (both covering applying the
same insight to two rather different ways of doing the same job) as do
two of mine (though my insights never gave anybody a useful commercial
advantage). Most patents are generated by people who are busy
reinventing the wheel - mostly because they don't know that their
particular wheel was invented year ago, but sometimes because they
want to keep on protecting their intellectual monopoly.

> However, I have no idea how royalty amounts will be determined.

Haggling.

> Perhaps the royalties asked maybe so high it could be advantageous to
> just have an 'accidental fire'. :P

If your bargaining position is particularly weak ..

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

mpm

Nov 2, 2008, 7:38:12 AM11/2/08

You are not liable until they officially serve you, or can otherwise
prove that you knowingly infringed on the Patent. The mere issuance
of a patent is not sufficient grounds to prosecute.

Thus, Step-1 will generally be a notice (usually in the form of a
"Cease & Desist Letter" from their attorney) that you are infringing
the patent holder's rights in some way and that continued infringement
will be rigorously prosecuted.

Step-2 depends on your reaction to Step-1, which may include anything
from ignoring the notice, defending your (perhaps identical) rights,
and/or entering into negotiations, etc...

At least, that's my understanding of the way it generally goes in the
US.
-mpm

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Nov 2, 2008, 8:51:13 AM11/2/08
D from BC wrote:
> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>
> Guessing:
>
> A) Cops come and arrest me
> B) The lawyers try to clean me out
> C) The patent owner stalks me
> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
> E) I get a fined...
> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
> G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.

The only thing a patent gets you is a head start in a court case.
Anyway, to answer the above, the first thing you get is a letter from
the company pointing out that they have the patent. Next is a "cease and
desist" letter from their lawyer. Third is a court injunction to prevent
you using their patent. From then on its lawyers, court cases, years and
$$$$ - and may the entity with deepest pockets win.

--
Dirk

lang...@fonz.dk

Nov 2, 2008, 10:12:35 AM11/2/08

I've heard the in many companies doing patent searches is strictly
forbidden
because if you knowingly violate a patent it can mean 3x damages

-Lasse

krw

Nov 2, 2008, 11:16:17 AM11/2/08
In article <12f66fb5-dedb-4df2-9b82-59bb3e489263
@d42g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, lang...@fonz.dk says...

Cite? That makes no sense at all. Many companies are too small to
care and the large ones had better know what they're getting into.
Few patents are difficult to design around so going naked is really
dumb. At my PPoE I did searches all the time, for both "offensive"
and "defensive" reasons. It was encouraged and we had "free" access
to search tools.

--
Keith

lest...@dakotacom.net

Nov 2, 2008, 2:13:58 PM11/2/08
I'm also just guessing but if you reside in the country
where the patent comes from, you could be prosecuted
by some government agency. In the USA that would
probably be the Justice dept.

It would depend on who catches you. If someone you
are selling to discovers it, they may just discontinue
doing business with you and not report it, because
they don't want to play policeman.

Jean

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 2, 2008, 3:54:20 PM11/2/08

That's the way I've seen it done. You don't get the letter, your
customers do.

All that your customers have to do to avoid prosecution is to quit doing
business with you and hire your competitor (the alleged patent holder).
Software companies, in particular, love this one. Some of them would
send out letters and refuse to cite actual patent numbers. Or forget the
letters. Just make a press release and scare the crap out of their
competitor's customers.

IIRC, there was an outfit in Redmond, Washington that tried this a
number of times.

--
Paul Hovnanian pa...@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

D from BC

Nov 2, 2008, 4:09:47 PM11/2/08

Interesting point..
If I rip a US patent (I'm in BC) without permission or royalties and
mass produce it, I have no idea who's going to come knocking on my
door..
US lawyers? Canadian lawyers? RCMP ? CSIS?
The secret patent police. SPP ?
The inventor holding a lit molotov cocktail?

D from BC

Nov 2, 2008, 4:21:56 PM11/2/08

Wow that seems nasty...

Reminds me of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

And there's the new movie too..Flash of Genius

D from BC

Nov 2, 2008, 4:24:33 PM11/2/08

Ah...When the lawyers go fishing..

Spehro Pefhany

Nov 2, 2008, 4:40:26 PM11/2/08

There are parasitic companies that buy up patents and then go suing
successful companies with vaguely related technology. See, for
example, RIM, who paid out $0.6 billion US to make the leeches detach
themselves, even though they would very likely have prevailed had they
gone to court (though with the US jury patent system, it's never 100%
for sure).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

D from BC

Nov 2, 2008, 4:49:20 PM11/2/08
On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 13:51:13 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
<dirk....@gmail.com> wrote:

>D from BC wrote:
>> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>>
>> Guessing:
>>
>> A) Cops come and arrest me
>> B) The lawyers try to clean me out
>> C) The patent owner stalks me
>> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
>> E) I get a fined...
>> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
>> G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
>> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.
>
>The only thing a patent gets you is a head start in a court case.
>Anyway, to answer the above, the first thing you get is a letter from
>the company pointing out that they have the patent. Next is a "cease and
>desist" letter from their lawyer. Third is a court injunction to prevent
>you using their patent. From then on its lawyers, court cases, years and
>$$$$ - and may the entity with deepest pockets win.

I wonder if the lawyers sue the company (say incorporated company not
sole proprietor).
The person that ripped the patent doesn't get nailed just the company
entity.
So perhaps if I have someone yelling at me ' You ripped my patent
...You ripped my patent @#$@$!!! @#@! Beep beep..'
Then to save on annoying court cases and lawyer costs.. I just shut
down the company and sell all assets. Wipe everything.
'What company? What money? You're not getting anything..'

I wonder if that can happen or has happened?

krw

Nov 2, 2008, 5:34:14 PM11/2/08
In article <a37f7598-e939-4144-bb9d-
1c712e...@c22g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, lest...@dakotacom.net
says...

> I'm also just guessing but if you reside in the country
> where the patent comes from, you could be prosecuted
> by some government agency. In the USA that would
> probably be the Justice dept.

Nope. It's a civil matter.

> It would depend on who catches you. If someone you
> are selling to discovers it, they may just discontinue
> doing business with you and not report it, because
> they don't want to play policeman.

Quite unlikely. How would they know? How would they know you're
not licensed? Why would they care (assuming they haven't been named
in a suit)?

--
Keith

RFI-EMI-GUY

Nov 2, 2008, 6:47:32 PM11/2/08
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> lest...@dakotacom.net wrote:
>> I'm also just guessing but if you reside in the country
>> where the patent comes from, you could be prosecuted
>> by some government agency. In the USA that would
>> probably be the Justice dept.
>>
>> It would depend on who catches you. If someone you
>> are selling to discovers it, they may just discontinue
>> doing business with you and not report it, because
>> they don't want to play policeman.
>>
>> Jean
>
> That's the way I've seen it done. You don't get the letter, your
> customers do.
>
> All that your customers have to do to avoid prosecution is to quit doing
> business with you and hire your competitor (the alleged patent holder).
> Software companies, in particular, love this one. Some of them would
> send out letters and refuse to cite actual patent numbers. Or forget the
> letters. Just make a press release and scare the crap out of their
> competitor's customers.
>
> IIRC, there was an outfit in Redmond, Washington that tried this a
> number of times.

If you are doing serious contract business, providing a system or
software you may have signed a "quiet enjoyment" clause meaning that
your customers will expect you to defend the infringement claim and keep
providing the product or service to them without interruption. This will
cause you to have to settle up with the claimant or be subject to
financial penalties from your customers.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

RFI-EMI-GUY

Nov 2, 2008, 6:55:19 PM11/2/08

You could do what most manufacturers of mass produced equipment do.
Publish no manuals or schematics. Use OEM part numbers or burnish the
part numbers off the chips. Won't make anyone on this newsgroup happy,
but consumers won't have a clue.

D from BC

Nov 2, 2008, 7:41:38 PM11/2/08

Not only does that discourage someone from checking for a patent
violation but it also discourages counterfeiters from copying the
ripped off patent.
Maybe call it IP-piracy- anti-piracy..??

John Tserkezis

Nov 2, 2008, 7:51:46 PM11/2/08
D from BC wrote:

>> If the idea is worth it, it might make up for being reamed by the lawyers.

> Wow that seems nasty...

That's how it works. Whoever's pockets are largest, wins.

I'm guessing he would have said the stress was not worth the "bit of money"
(relative to what could or should have been made from the idea anyway).

I'd also hazzard a guess to say that anyone who spends any appreciable time
in court would rather spend that time again, poorer, out of court.

Except the lawyers of course. They win either way.
Nice racket if you can get into it.
And you're willing to give up your soul... :-)

John Tserkezis

Nov 2, 2008, 8:14:37 PM11/2/08
D from BC wrote:

> So perhaps if I have someone yelling at me ' You ripped my patent
> ...You ripped my patent @#$@$!!! @#@! Beep beep..'
> Then to save on annoying court cases and lawyer costs.. I just shut
> down the company and sell all assets. Wipe everything.
> 'What company? What money? You're not getting anything..'

> I wonder if that can happen or has happened?

Not quite the same, but related:

In Australia (and maybe elsewhere), it appears to be the trend: If your
company is going down, the done thing is to bleed it dry, transfer your
'stuff' to areas the law can't touch, then jump ship.

When it hits the fan, and you're firmly fingered to be at fault, and dragged
over the courts asking to pay up the xBillion (or xMillion, or xThousand, you
get the idea), you throw up your hands and say "sorry, nothing left".

After several years in the clink, you come back to your wife, who was
waiting with the two mansions in the exclusive suburbs (which aren't yours),
six cars (which aren't yours) and assorted xInch plasma/lcd screens in every
room (which aren't yours either), you get the idea.
But not the holiday house. You lost that in court. You're left with the
_other_ holiday house the courts couldn't finger as yours anymore.
Turns out, you don't own anything at all. All the stuff you have is either
"borrowed", or "leased".
Sure, it USED to be yours, but not now. Not legally anyway, and that's the
important bit.

They ALL cry poor, and all leave with more than their shareholders,
customers or whoever paid for all that crap in the first place.

Corporate crime is a nice gig if you do it "right". And a bad name isn't
always a barrier to following scams either.

As an interesting aside, those who know the ones who are crying poor, almost
invariably note they've been in this racket for a while. They get away with
it because not enough people know them to stay away.

If all else fails, you can get into politics. Ahem.

James Arthur

Nov 3, 2008, 12:08:23 PM11/3/08
D from BC wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:49:19 -0500, John O'Flaherty
> <quia...@yeeha.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:28:20 -0700, D from BC
>> <myreal...@comic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>>>
>>> Guessing:
>>>
>>> A) Cops come and arrest me
>>> B) The lawyers try to clean me out
>>> C) The patent owner stalks me
>>> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
>>> E) I get a fined...
>>> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
>>> G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
>>> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.
>> The honor system requires that you use this device:
>> http://www.google.com/patents?id=7aKbAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,293,874
>>
>> Remember, though, if you haven't paid the royalties on it you have to
>> use it forever.
>
> I checked that link.
> Holy crapOla patent 6293874 is useless..
> That'll never be mass produced.
> Only good for a few wacky ha ha's and then it's old.
>
> I'm guessing some entertainer was trying to prevent someone from
> copying his comedy act.

Yeah, but steal it and you'll get your ass kicked.

Cheers,
James Arthur

chris...@googlemail.com

Nov 3, 2008, 6:28:02 PM11/3/08
On 2 Nov, 16:16, krw <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzz> wrote:
> In article <12f66fb5-dedb-4df2-9b82-59bb3e489263
> @d42g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, langw...@fonz.dk says...

Even if a no-searrching policy did exist, nobody would write it down
because that would not look good. The problem is that if you do
search then you will pretty much always find, and then your company
probably has a policy that means that they will have to spend several
days of lawyer's time deciding whether or not you really can put a
resistor in series with the source terminal of a FET to make your
current source, ala US6208125 for example. What was a 30 second
circuit design task now has become three days of lawyer's time at $500/
hour.

BTW, a hobby of mine is bringing about the situation whereby typing
the number of such a patent into the google search engine brings up a
list of prior art as the first result, ahead of the actual patent.
Unfortunately I haven't got around to this one yet, but the manual for
the Wavetek 142 signal generator is probably a good start.

US6280125 see http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/wavetek/142_Feb75.pdf
US6280125 see http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=1052853&isnumber=22617
US6280125 see Allen & Holberg, "CMOS Analog Circuit Design" p597

krw

Nov 3, 2008, 8:11:52 PM11/3/08
In article <c4da2a9b-1487-41f5-bb8d-3a28325479b8
@c36g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, chris...@googlemail.com says...

Only if you work for a *really* stupid company. The cart is before
your horse.

> BTW, a hobby of mine is bringing about the situation whereby typing
> the number of such a patent into the google search engine brings up a
> list of prior art as the first result, ahead of the actual patent.
> Unfortunately I haven't got around to this one yet, but the manual for
> the Wavetek 142 signal generator is probably a good start.
>
> US6280125 see http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/wavetek/142_Feb75.pdf
> US6280125 see http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=1052853&isnumber=22617
> US6280125 see Allen & Holberg, "CMOS Analog Circuit Design" p597

--
Keith

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 5, 2008, 1:06:19 PM11/5/08

Yes. But your competitor will attempt to convince them that the defense
will be fruitless and, one way or another, they will either end up
paying for the legal costs (through increased price) or moving their
business over to them.

In the professional contracting world where I work, scare tactics don't
work as well. Patents aren't that big a deal (electrical power systems
are kind of old hat by now) and the requirement to posses a PE license
puts the spreading of FUD at odds with the profession's code of ethics.

The biggest problem tends to be that I end up as the recipient of
communications, stating that some software tool I'm using violates some
set of patents. And how I should dump my current applications and switch
to theirs. My customers have nothing to fear, as it is practically
impossible to trace the products of these tools to deliverables for my
customers. A PDF is a PDF.

JosephKK

Nov 8, 2008, 12:15:48 PM11/8/08
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:16:12 -0700, D from BC
<myreal...@comic.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 21:00:07 -0700 (PDT), bill....@ieee.org wrote:
>
>>On 2 nov, 04:28, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote:
>>> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>>>
>>> Guessing:
>>>
>>> A) Cops come and arrest me
>>> B) The lawyers try to clean me out
>>> C) The patent owner stalks me
>>> D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
>>> E) I get a fined...
>>> F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
>>> G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
>>> H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.
>>
>>They take you to court and sue you; in order to avoid going broke from
>>paying the lawyers, they mostly then negoatiate a retroactive royalty
>>payment.
>>
>>The court can order you to stop selling the offending embodiment of
>>the patented idea until the case has been decided, which tends to
>>strengthen their bargaining position.
>>
>>On the other hand, most patents are obvious, and were invented by
>>somebody else long before the patent was registered, so their
>>bargaining postion is rarely as strong as it looks.
>

>Gee..You make it sound ok to rip a patent. :)
>

>However, I have no idea how royalty amounts will be determined.

>Perhaps the royalties asked maybe so high it could be advantageous to
>just have an 'accidental fire'. :P

>Then close the company and let the fire insurance pay off the patent
>lawyers :P
>Just kidding...
>

>D from BC
>myreal...@comic.com
>British Columbia
>Canada

Well i must admit, i find it offensive to find that someone prints an
expired patent, files it (with the expired patent number still on it)
and it gets awarded. That is how broken the system is.

JosephKK

Nov 8, 2008, 2:58:01 PM11/8/08

That's nice, but i have a cowardly ISP. No alt.binary.*

I think it is time to create a new group:

sci.electronic.schematic.binary

There is a method to do this, it is explained here:

http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1.html

Then we will have what we were used to again.

Eeyore

Nov 8, 2008, 3:30:12 PM11/8/08

JosephKK wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
> >D from BC wrote:
> >
> >> What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
> >
> >MONSTER cables tried to claim patent infringement recently on the 'blue
> >jeans' cable company for their pattern of RCA/phono/Cinch connector !
> >
> >Posted in abse.
> >
> >Graham
>
> That's nice, but i have a cowardly ISP. No alt.binary.*
>
> I think it is time to create a new group:
>
> sci.electronic.schematic.binary
>
> There is a method to do this, it is explained here:
>
> http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1.html
>
> Then we will have what we were used to again.

A very good point. When the BRAVE and COURAGEOUS NYAG decided alt and binary
groups were a conduit for 87 pics of children (not all pornographic it would
seem) over a 3 months period we all quaked at his feet.

Yes, I too felt a new hierarchy should be established. Like sci.binaries.*
This way it would be covered by the 'big groups' charters.

Graham

Martin Griffith

Nov 8, 2008, 4:27:24 PM11/8/08
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:28:20 -0700, in sci.electronics.design D from
BC <myreal...@comic.com> wrote:

>What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
>

>Guessing:
>
>A) Cops come and arrest me
>B) The lawyers try to clean me out
>C) The patent owner stalks me
>D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
>E) I get a fined...
>F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
>G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
>H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.
>

>D from BC
>myreal...@comic.com
>British Columbia
>Canada

They could send Halliburton/Cheyney after you, if you don't have a
patent ( not kidding)

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008/11/junk-patents.html

martin

Eeyore

Nov 8, 2008, 4:39:19 PM11/8/08

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

> D from BC wrote:
> > What happens when you get caught using somebody's patent?
> >
> > Guessing:
> >
> > A) Cops come and arrest me
> > B) The lawyers try to clean me out
> > C) The patent owner stalks me
> > D) The patent owner asks me for a job.
> > E) I get a fined...
> > F) I get visited by the patent hitmen
> > G) I get deported to China. (I only speak English)
> > H) I get a surprised patent owner asking me how I got it to work.
>
> The only thing a patent gets you is a head start in a court case.
> Anyway, to answer the above, the first thing you get is a letter from
> the company pointing out that they have the patent. Next is a "cease and
> desist" letter from their lawyer. Third is a court injunction to prevent
> you using their patent. From then on its lawyers, court cases, years and
> $$$$ - and may the entity with deepest pockets win.

Sort of. If the patent is clear, the defendant will have bugger all chance.
Hint: get a good patent lawyer if you think it's worth anything.

And check WIPO. There's an entire world outside the USA whose USPTO issues
tissue paper thin patents.

Graham

Eeyore

Nov 8, 2008, 4:40:47 PM11/8/08

D from BC wrote:

Has ANYONE read my post on the matter ? Dated Sun 12:24 UTC on my server.

Graham

Eeyore

Nov 8, 2008, 4:42:29 PM11/8/08

John Tserkezis wrote:

> Corporate crime is a nice gig if you do it "right".

Thinks for a sec...... BANKS !!!!

Cut their heads off.

Graham

JosephKK

Nov 8, 2008, 5:20:31 PM11/8/08

Call it the difference between earnest IP protection and dis-earnest
IP protection. RAMbus kind of falls into the second category.

krw

Nov 8, 2008, 6:20:03 PM11/8/08
In article <q04ch4p2c1v2o63bs...@4ax.com>,
quiett...@yahoo.com says...

RAMbust falls in the protection racket category.

--
Keith

Ben Bradley

Nov 9, 2008, 7:17:37 PM11/9/08
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:30:12 +0000, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriend...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>JosephKK wrote:

>> That's nice, but i have a cowardly ISP. No alt.binary.*
>>
>> I think it is time to create a new group:
>>
>> sci.electronic.schematic.binary
>>
>> There is a method to do this, it is explained here:
>>
>> http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1.html
>>
>> Then we will have what we were used to again.
>
>A very good point. When the BRAVE and COURAGEOUS NYAG decided alt and binary
>groups were a conduit for 87 pics of children (not all pornographic it would
>seem) over a 3 months period we all quaked at his feet.
>
>Yes, I too felt a new hierarchy should be established. Like sci.binaries.*

If the filters aren't already set up this way, I can see them being
changed so that all groups containing either of the strings 'binary'
or 'binaries' get dropped without regard to hierarchy (or in addition
to all alt. groups being dropped). ISP's lawyers with will tell them
it's too risky to carry a group with that string in it.

>This way it would be covered by the 'big groups' charters.

I suspect few ISP's have ever heard of those, much less respect
them.

>Graham

JosephKK

Nov 11, 2008, 2:43:03 AM11/11/08
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:30:12 +0000, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriend...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Alt.* is a big 8 charter.

JosephKK

Nov 11, 2008, 2:54:48 AM11/11/08
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:17:37 -0500, Ben Bradley
<ben_u_...@etcmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:30:12 +0000, Eeyore
><rabbitsfriend...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>JosephKK wrote:

>>> That's nice, but i have a cowardly ISP. No alt.binary.*
>>>
>>> I think it is time to create a new group:
>>>
>>> sci.electronic.schematic.binary
>>>
>>> There is a method to do this, it is explained here:
>>>
>>> http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1.html
>>>
>>> Then we will have what we were used to again.
>>
>>A very good point. When the BRAVE and COURAGEOUS NYAG decided alt and binary
>>groups were a conduit for 87 pics of children (not all pornographic it would
>>seem) over a 3 months period we all quaked at his feet.
>>
>>Yes, I too felt a new hierarchy should be established. Like sci.binaries.*
>

>>Graham

> If the filters aren't already set up this way, I can see them being
>changed so that all groups containing either of the strings 'binary'
>or 'binaries' get dropped without regard to hierarchy (or in addition
>to all alt. groups being dropped). ISP's lawyers with will tell them
>it's too risky to carry a group with that string in it.
>
>>This way it would be covered by the 'big groups' charters.
>
> I suspect few ISP's have ever heard of those, much less respect
>them.

You may be right. Most ISPs consider newsgroups a nuisance, and only
do it because they get less complaints that way. Nor do i think that
the NYAG (nor any other AG) would have temerity to assault the sci.*
hierarchy in the same way.

JosephKK

Nov 11, 2008, 2:58:19 AM11/11/08

Yes! Bring back the Guillotine. Bread and spectacle while we change
out the regime for an even worse one.

JosephKK

Nov 11, 2008, 9:15:24 AM11/11/08

Maybe not. This is usenet, delivery NOT guaranteed. I am missing
several post from regulars. I can only guess that they were
crossposted to ABSE or something similar.