For all the group

1 view

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 11:38:30 AM3/18/08
If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
message so I can clear you in my nfilters.

It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
guy ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Jeroen Belleman

Mar 18, 2008, 12:29:03 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

I'm a good guy! Honest! :-)

Obligatory electronics related question: What are the
limits on ADC resolution? How close are we?

Jeroen Belleman

Jan Panteltje

Mar 18, 2008, 12:29:37 PM3/18/08
On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:38:30 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
<oaovt3l85chc0mudd...@4ax.com>:

>If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
>It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>guy ;-)

You probably won't see this, as I post via aioe.org, but it is much simpler
NOT to use filters, especially with for example Agent or any other reader that
gets the headers first, as you have to select the headers you are interested in
anyways.
You now likely have posted more of those filter related messages, then anything
electronics.
Else the situation you wind up with is that you have killfiled everybody else,
BUT the spammers, as THOSE change config all the time.

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 12:38:17 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:29:03 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
<jer...@nospam.please> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>>
>> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>> guy ;-)
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>I'm a good guy! Honest! :-)

I already added you to the "good guys" column ;-)

>Obligatory electronics related question: What are the
>limits on ADC resolution? How close are we?

I'm sure it's noise related, and thus depends on the configuration...
resistors; type: charge redistribution, current-steering, etc.; device
types: BJT or MOS....

>Jeroen Belleman

James Arthur

Mar 18, 2008, 12:54:13 PM3/18/08
On Mar 18, 7:38 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

I do. It's convenient when I'm travelling, which is a LOT.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Tim Wescott

Mar 18, 2008, 1:06:30 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:29:03 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
> <jer...@nospam.please> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>>> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>>>
>>> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>>> guy ;-)
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>> I'm a good guy! Honest! :-)
>
> I already added you to the "good guys" column ;-)
>
>> Obligatory electronics related question: What are the
>> limits on ADC resolution? How close are we?
>
> I'm sure it's noise related, and thus depends on the configuration...
> resistors; type: charge redistribution, current-steering, etc.; device
> types: BJT or MOS....

If you want to be a tight-ass (or smart-ass) about terminology, there's
no limit to _resolution_ -- how many useless bits do you want, though?

The limit to the useful number of bits in current-day converters seems
to be noise dependent.

Monolithic 16-bit converters that sample at 100ksps have about 1-2
counts of RMS noise -- this means that your output number will routinely
vary by four to eight counts from nominal. This can be leveraged,
however; if you have the processing power you can sample up to the speed
limits of the converter then average down to your desired 'actual'
sample rate you get a nice anti-aliasing filter for closed-loop control,
and considerably more precision (if not accuracy) than 16 bits.

Ditto for 14-bit monolithic converters sampling at 40MHz, with perhaps
more LSB's of RMS noise.

I suspect that you could do better with a hybrid converter, but I'm not
Jim, so I don't know how much better, or how far you'd have to move
heaven and earth to keep the critter in production if you did.

If your process is slow you can get 24-bit sigma-delta A/D converters
that sample out at 60Hz. I suspect the same (or perhaps only slightly
better) noise spectral density as the above converters, but I've never
done the math (it'd be interesting to do so).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tom Bruhns

Mar 18, 2008, 1:19:40 PM3/18/08
On Mar 18, 8:38 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-

Is a reply to your message as good as a test message?? Of course, I'm
a bad guy. Must be so. The Flavored Coffee Guy said so. Or at least
he posted that I should go do perverted and somewhat impossible things
to myself.

Cheers,
Tom

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 1:27:20 PM3/18/08

No. A blanket "drop", but with "good guy" exceptions, of aioe is
working great.

What I'm finding remarkable, as I check message ID's, is the gross
number of forgeries via googlegroups.

JamesB

Mar 18, 2008, 1:35:33 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)

My cow-orkers say that I'm not a nice person. Does that count?

--
James

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 1:38:25 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:06:30 -0700, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:29:03 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
>> <jer...@nospam.please> wrote:

>>> I'm a good guy! Honest! :-)
>>
>> I already added you to the "good guys" column ;-)
>>
>>> Obligatory electronics related question: What are the
>>> limits on ADC resolution? How close are we?
>>
>> I'm sure it's noise related, and thus depends on the configuration...
>> resistors; type: charge redistribution, current-steering, etc.; device
>> types: BJT or MOS....
>>
>If you want to be a tight-ass (or smart-ass) about terminology, there's
>no limit to _resolution_ -- how many useless bits do you want, though?

Yes, I mixed resolution and accuracy :-(

And I agree with "how many useless bits do you want?" But I'm sure
the Monster Cable crowd can "hear" the difference ;-)

>The limit to the useful number of bits in current-day converters seems
>to be noise dependent.
>
>Monolithic 16-bit converters that sample at 100ksps have about 1-2
>counts of RMS noise -- this means that your output number will routinely
>vary by four to eight counts from nominal. This can be leveraged,
>however; if you have the processing power you can sample up to the speed
>limits of the converter then average down to your desired 'actual'
>sample rate you get a nice anti-aliasing filter for closed-loop control,
>and considerably more precision (if not accuracy) than 16 bits.
>
>Ditto for 14-bit monolithic converters sampling at 40MHz, with perhaps
>more LSB's of RMS noise.
>
>I suspect that you could do better with a hybrid converter, but I'm not
>Jim, so I don't know how much better, or how far you'd have to move
>heaven and earth to keep the critter in production if you did.

Once upon a time, there was a plane called the L1011 (IIRC). They
thought they needed a 16-bit DAC for the seat audio system. I
demonstrated an 8-bit resolution plus 8-bit "gain-rider" that sounded
great and was CHEAP, but they opted to spend a lot of money.

Marketing people have no brains ;-)

>If your process is slow you can get 24-bit sigma-delta A/D converters
>that sample out at 60Hz. I suspect the same (or perhaps only slightly
>better) noise spectral density as the above converters, but I've never
>done the math (it'd be interesting to do so).

...Jim Thompson

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jan Panteltje

Mar 18, 2008, 1:43:08 PM3/18/08
On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:27:20 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson
<jftvt31ti7io9gp9p...@4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:29:37 GMT, Jan Panteltje
><pNaonSt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:38:30 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson
>><To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
>><oaovt3l85chc0mudd...@4ax.com>:
>>
>>>If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>>>message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>>>
>>>It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>>>guy ;-)
>>
>>You probably won't see this, as I post via aioe.org, but it is much simpler
>>NOT to use filters, especially with for example Agent or any other reader that
>>gets the headers first, as you have to select the headers you are interested in
>>anyways.
>>You now likely have posted more of those filter related messages, then anything
>>electronics.
>>Else the situation you wind up with is that you have killfiled everybody else,
>>BUT the spammers, as THOSE change config all the time.
>
>No. A blanket "drop", but with "good guy" exceptions, of aioe is
>working great.
>
>What I'm finding remarkable, as I check message ID's, is the gross
>number of forgeries via googlegroups.

Well, I normally do not even look where it is posted from.
If I see an interesting discussion, and do not have the OP for
some reason (erased it), I go to google groups and look it up,
and then reply from there.
If aioe.org is down I go to datemas.de, but datemas.de was not
even reachable in this weekend,
I have about <lemme see> 33 groups current, of which I follow 11 actively,
all without filters enabled, takes about 10 minutes to make a selection
each morning from about 1000 new headers.
Try us.politics, Obama's speech on race is there (link).
Now here is an interesting viewpoint :-).
Then there is sci.physics, with 90% noise, 9 % anti-Einstein, and the rest
may contain news, etc, sci.astro, etc.
Now how much time you spend fiddling with filters I dunno, but if it is more then 10 minutes
a day, then lemme say it this way: The brain is a zillion neuron computer, I do not
even see them spammers anymore.
An other interesting thing is that both datemas.de AND aioe.org seem to filter spam!

DarthVader

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 1:45:37 PM3/18/08
> Once upon a time, there was a plane called the L1011 (IIRC). ...

The 1011 is a very nice airplane.

> ... They

> thought they needed a 16-bit DAC for the seat audio system. I
> demonstrated an 8-bit resolution plus 8-bit "gain-rider" that sounded
> great and was CHEAP, but they opted to spend a lot of money.
>
> Marketing people have no brains ;-)

I married one with brain :-)

>> If your process is slow you can get 24-bit sigma-delta A/D converters
>> that sample out at 60Hz. I suspect the same (or perhaps only slightly
>> better) noise spectral density as the above converters, but I've never
>> done the math (it'd be interesting to do so).

I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Message has been deleted

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 1:57:10 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

[snip]

>I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
>across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
>thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
>had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.

I made up an adapter to allow me to plug in my over-the-ear phones ;-)

Joel Koltner

Mar 18, 2008, 2:02:51 PM3/18/08
"Joerg" <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message

>> Marketing people have no brains ;-)
>
> I married one with brain :-)

Thus reducing the number in the workforce with brains by one.

Gee, THANKS A LOT, Joerg!

:-)

Jan Panteltje

Mar 18, 2008, 2:05:05 PM3/18/08
On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700) it happened Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in
<bdTDj.5355$Rq1....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>:

>I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
>across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
>thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
>had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.

I stole a little adapter plug, and the seats work on my own headphones.

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 2:08:58 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700, Joerg
> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
>> across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
>> thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
>> had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.
>
> I made up an adapter to allow me to plug in my over-the-ear phones ;-)

Yeah, I am going to buy a pair. Right now I only have the monstrous
pilot's version with mike and all that, plus a Sennheiser HD480 but the
foam pads on that one have crumpled away :-(

I guess the drivers in the airplane arm rests would be able to drive the
usual lowish impedance. What is nice is the monitor in the seat and the
selection nowadays. They had five movies and two of them were really
good. The food on the return trip was quite good, the departure food wasn't.

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 2:11:55 PM3/18/08

It was my very first contact into marketing after I had my degree. She
had to test our design and I could not concentrate on taking notes ...

Resulted in marriage and we are still married ;-)

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 2:14:30 PM3/18/08

It looked like normal 3.5mm stereo plugs to me. Heck, they even had a
removeable remote in the seat and if you turned it around it became an
in-flight telephone with credit card slot. It was a Boeing 777.

Spehro Pefhany

Mar 18, 2008, 2:18:44 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
>across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
>thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
>had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.

A few hundred rapidly shrinking greenbacks will get you a nice pair of
Bose noise-cancelling 'phones.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Jan Panteltje

Mar 18, 2008, 2:26:58 PM3/18/08
On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:14:30 -0700) it happened Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in
<eETDj.5361$Rq1....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>:

I just found it again, it is actually 2 mono 3.5 mm at about 12.5 mm apart,
with on the other side a stero 3.5 mm that your normal haedphone fits into.
You could make one from 2 mone male and one stereo female.
This is for the 747.

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 2:28:23 PM3/18/08
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700, Joerg
> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>

>> I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
>> across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
>> thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
>> had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.
>
> A few hundred rapidly shrinking greenbacks will get you a nice pair of
> Bose noise-cancelling 'phones.

They offered noise-cancelling ones for $65 from their duty-free but
probably not Bose. Hmm, maybe the horrible "ear pieces" do foster
duty-free sales ...

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 2:30:34 PM3/18/08
Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:14:30 -0700) it happened Joerg
> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in
> <eETDj.5361$Rq1....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>:
>
>> Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700) it happened Joerg
>>> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in

>>> I stole a little adapter plug, and the seats work on my own headphones.
>>
>> It looked like normal 3.5mm stereo plugs to me. Heck, they even had a
>> removeable remote in the seat and if you turned it around it became an
>> in-flight telephone with credit card slot. It was a Boeing 777.
>
> I just found it again, it is actually 2 mono 3.5 mm at about 12.5 mm apart,
> with on the other side a stero 3.5 mm that your normal haedphone fits into.
> You could make one from 2 mone male and one stereo female.
> This is for the 747.

That was the really old style, right after those PVC-tubing concoctions.
Probably so people would not take the headphones home. Now they are
3.5mm stereo and the ear phones are so horrible nobody wants to take them.

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 2:35:59 PM3/18/08

That's what I did... stole the cheapy in-ear headset, and made an
adapter out of it ;-) Mine can do single or dual-plug seat jacks.

mrda...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2008, 2:38:16 PM3/18/08

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

I've got a q

mrda...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2008, 2:39:28 PM3/18/08
> --
> | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
> | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
> | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
> | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
> | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
>
> America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Sorry bout that... pressed a button and my comp posted my incomplete
reply.

So let's say that I'm in your Bad Guy filter, and I post a message,
and someone in your Good Guy filter responds. Won't you see my post
anyway, because Good Guy included my post in his reply?

Michael

Rich Webb

Mar 18, 2008, 2:44:44 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:18:44 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700, Joerg
><notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>

>>I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
>>across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
>>thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
>>had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.
>
>A few hundred rapidly shrinking greenbacks will get you a nice pair of
>Bose noise-cancelling 'phones.

FWIW, Sony has some out now that work pretty well and aren't nearly as
expensive as the Bose. They come with plug adapters for airlines, too.
Needed to get a set for the office, working around some noisy gear.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Spehro Pefhany

Mar 18, 2008, 2:49:12 PM3/18/08

Easy to buy for < $10 in a single molded unit. Included with most
noise-cancelling phones I think.

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 2:54:43 PM3/18/08

Do you know the type and who carries them?

J.A. Legris

Mar 18, 2008, 3:08:14 PM3/18/08
On Mar 18, 11:38 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)
>
>                                         ...Jim Thompson
> --
> |  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
> |  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |
> |  Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems  |    manus    |
> |  Phoenix, Arizona            Voice:(480)460-2350  |             |
> |  E-mail Address at Website     Fax:(480)460-2142  |  Brass Rat  |
> |      http://www.analog-innovations.com          |    1962     |
>
>          America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Me good.

Reported spammers to Google.

Seems to work

--
Joe

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 3:10:37 PM3/18/08

_Everyone_ thinks I'm not nice ;-)

Guy Macon

Mar 18, 2008, 3:15:51 PM3/18/08

Jeroen Belleman wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:

>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>>
>> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>> guy ;-)
>>

>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>I'm a good guy! Honest! :-)

You may be a good person, but I am the Good Guy (TM) here... :)

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.guymacon.com/>

Rich Webb

Mar 18, 2008, 3:24:04 PM3/18/08

Got them at the local Target but I don't see them on their web site.
These are foldable, included a case & the aircraft-gizmo. I'll grab
the actual model number tonight.

David L. Jones

Mar 18, 2008, 3:43:28 PM3/18/08
On Mar 19, 2:38 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson
> --
> | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
> | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
> | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
> | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
> | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
>
> America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

My mummy said I'm one of the good guys, so let me back in please!

Dave.

robb

Mar 18, 2008, 4:44:46 PM3/18/08

wrote in message

> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good
guy/bad
> guy ;-)
> ...Jim Thompson
> --
> | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens
|
> | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et
|
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus
|
> | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 |
|
> | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass
Rat |
> | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962
|

> America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

uar ?

search gives ...
- unclaimed Asset Register
- unstable ape reports
- utah assoc of realtors
- union achitects of romania
etc.......

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 3:49:41 PM3/18/08

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 3:53:45 PM3/18/08

You're in. I'm running nfilter "FLAG" right now to mark subjects.
Once I list enough "good guys" I'll simply have Agent kill-file on
"GOOG", "AIOE" and "UAR".

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 3:59:40 PM3/18/08

uar.com produces 99% spam, I have only one poster that's legit.

Right now I pass everything, but tag the subject line with GOOG, AIOE,
or UAR to help me sort out the chaff.

I'll add kill-files for GOOG, AIOE, and UAR once I identify good guys.

Rich Webb

Mar 18, 2008, 4:26:39 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:49:41 -0700, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

Nope, those aren't foldable. Very likely the same or nearly so as far
as noise cancellation, though.

The pair I picked up were $99-ish. Probably wouldn't have gotten them
but I was being driven nuts (and it's a short trip) by some equipment
noise and happened to see them on the rack when I swung by the store
to pick up a load of cat litter.

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 4:50:51 PM3/18/08
Rich Webb wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:49:41 -0700, Joerg
> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks. Is it these for $49.99?
>>
>> http://www.target.com/Sony-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-MDRNC6/dp/B000629GES/sr=1-1/qid=1205869694/ref=sr_1_1/602-8681397-2594215?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Aheadphones&page=1
>
> Nope, those aren't foldable. Very likely the same or nearly so as far
> as noise cancellation, though.

Target is notoriously skimpy in product descriptions but here is a more
detailed one and it looks like they are foldable:
https://www.techbuy.com.au/p/54640/SPEAKERS_HEADPHONES/Sony/MDRNC6.asp

25hrs on one AAA cell is not bad.

> The pair I picked up were $99-ish. ...

Looks like they started out even higher but came down over time.

> ... Probably wouldn't have gotten them

> but I was being driven nuts (and it's a short trip) by some equipment
> noise and happened to see them on the rack when I swung by the store
> to pick up a load of cat litter.

No cats here. But two big dogs where anything less than a 30lbs bag
would be a mere drop in the bucket.

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 18, 2008, 4:51:31 PM3/18/08

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:38:30 -0700, Jim Thompson
> <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
> >If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> >message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
> >
> >It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> >guy ;-)
> >
> > ...Jim Thompson
>
> You should learn to set up your filters better then, idiot.
>
> Ever think of looking at past, already retrieved posts, dingledorf?
>
> Sort by Author,and examine those authors you want to keep the posts of.
> D'OH!

So, 'News Proxy' is something else you know absolutely nothing about.
There are no old posts, because it is a proxy server, and you access it
with the server name 'localhost', dimbulb.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Spehro Pefhany

Mar 18, 2008, 4:52:28 PM3/18/08

Be sure to try them before buying.. one pair I tried out (Japanese
name brand, IIRC, might have been Panasonic or Sony) *added* a really
annoying high frequency hiss while removing some of the low frequency
noise. Probably okay in an aircraft, but I wanted to be able to use
them in an office (the kind that has other people in it), and these
would not have been acceptable in a relatively quiet environment. Not
particularly cheap either, considering they didn't work that well
(maybe $85).

I have a pair of Sony regular phones that covers my ears.. not as high
tech as the noise cancelling ones, but they work pretty well in
airplanes. The cord is too long.

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 5:06:02 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:51:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:38:30 -0700, Jim Thompson
>> <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>>
>> >If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>> >message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>> >
>> >It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>> >guy ;-)
>> >
>> > ...Jim Thompson
>>
>> You should learn to set up your filters better then, idiot.
>>
>> Ever think of looking at past, already retrieved posts, dingledorf?

Dumb-shit, I only save current/active-discussion posts.

>> Sort by Author,and examine those authors you want to keep the posts of.
>> D'OH!

Ah, yes, a whitelist of 1000's.

"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt", Don't you have any concerns about
constantly showing your abysmal ignorance?

> So, 'News Proxy' is something else you know absolutely nothing about.
>There are no old posts, because it is a proxy server, and you access it
>with the server name 'localhost', dimbulb.

nfilter/News Proxy is something I wish I'd heard of sooner. Really
works nice.

I'll clear manually for a week or so, selectively dumping until I'm
confident that any GOOG, AIOE, or UAR tag is definitely a bad guy,
then I'll let Agent manage dumping those tags.

MooseFET

Mar 18, 2008, 5:09:14 PM3/18/08

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.

Testing 1-2-3

> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 5:13:38 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:09:14 -0700 (PDT), MooseFET
<kens...@rahul.net> wrote:

>On Mar 18, 8:38 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-
>Web-Site.com> wrote:
>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
>Testing 1-2-3
>

>> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>> guy ;-)
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson

You are presently listed as a "good guy" ;-)

Jan Panteltje

Mar 18, 2008, 5:20:03 PM3/18/08
On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:30:34 -0700) it happened Joerg
<iTTDj.5365$Rq1....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>:

>> I just found it again, it is actually 2 mono 3.5 mm at about 12.5 mm apart,
>> with on the other side a stero 3.5 mm that your normal haedphone fits into.
>> You could make one from 2 mone male and one stereo female.
>> This is for the 747.
>

>That was the really old style, right after those PVC-tubing concoctions.
>Probably so people would not take the headphones home. Now they are
>3.5mm stereo and the ear phones are so horrible nobody wants to take them.

Yea, right.
Best thing to do is bring a set of different connectors, some screened
cable, a roll of 60/40, and one of those gas powered soldering torches.
If they ask what you are doing, just say: 'I am an engineer'.
If they still bother you, point out the 60/40 and say: 'Here! contains LEAD'.

And then they will scream: LEAD, LEAD, LEAD, terrorists, we are all going to die.

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 5:22:41 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)

Very simple: A local car dealer with a cowboy theme mentioned in the TV
ads "They are the good guys, because they wear white hats". So, there.

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 5:29:59 PM3/18/08

Sno-o-o-o-ort! Almost as dangerous as the bottle of SE Australia
Chardonnay that TSA took from a client coming to visit :-(

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 5:30:56 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:22:41 GMT, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>>
>> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>> guy ;-)
>>

>Very simple: A local car dealer with a cowboy theme mentioned in the TV
>ads "They are the good guys, because they wear white hats". So, there.

What? You have Tex Earnhardt over there, too?

gearhead

Mar 18, 2008, 5:57:40 PM3/18/08
On Mar 18, 12:10 pm, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:35:33 +0000, JamesB <use...@mesb.co.uk> wrote:
> >Jim Thompson wrote:
> >> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> >> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> >> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> >> guy ;-)
>
> >My cow-orkers say that I'm not a nice person. Does that count?
>
> _Everyone_ thinks I'm not nice ;-)
>
>                                         ...Jim Thompson

They don't _think_ you're not nice, Jim, they _know_ you're not nice!
Now how about clearing me ;)

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 6:06:38 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:20:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje
> <pNaonSt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:30:34 -0700) it happened Joerg
>> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in

>>> That was the really old style, right after those PVC-tubing concoctions.
>>> Probably so people would not take the headphones home. Now they are
>>> 3.5mm stereo and the ear phones are so horrible nobody wants to take them.
>> Yea, right.
>> Best thing to do is bring a set of different connectors, some screened
>> cable, a roll of 60/40, and one of those gas powered soldering torches.
>> If they ask what you are doing, just say: 'I am an engineer'.
>> If they still bother you, point out the 60/40 and say: 'Here! contains LEAD'.
>>
>> And then they will scream: LEAD, LEAD, LEAD, terrorists, we are all going to die.
>
> Sno-o-o-o-ort! Almost as dangerous as the bottle of SE Australia
> Chardonnay that TSA took from a client coming to visit :-(

He could have gone back to the start of the line, uncork it and then
drink it right there from the bottle ;-)

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 6:05:48 PM3/18/08

Do you promise to be nice ?:-)

sky4...@trline4.org

Mar 18, 2008, 6:08:09 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@my-web-site.com> wrote:
>If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>message so I can clear you in my nfilters.

>It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>guy ;-)

I'm good I hope.. :)

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 6:22:12 PM3/18/08

Yes.

Playing around with nfilter I discovered that "FLAG" is more
appropriate than "DROP".

"DROP" leaves the unmarked messages on the server, "FLAG" adds text to
the Subject line and downloads the headers where, ultimately, Agent
will dispose of the flagged messages. Flagging makes it easy for me
to track good guys/bad guys without much effort... good guys get added
to the "whitelist"... all other googlegroups, aioe and uar posters go
bye-bye ;-)

Didi

Mar 18, 2008, 6:24:34 PM3/18/08
> Ditto for 14-bit monolithic converters sampling at 40MHz, with perhaps
> more LSB's of RMS noise.

Not sure about those at 40 MSPS, but a 14 bit, 10 MSPS (AD9240 from
ADI) does spread very little around the central conversion channel,
i.e. the noise peak to peak is well below 1 LSB. Mind you, I have
designed it in 7 or so years ago (board rev. 0 done in 2000...),
not that new an ADC at all. Someone at ADI must know damn well
what he is doing.... :-).

Dimiter

P.S. Not sure if I am a "good guy" but I do post from Google :-).

Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

Tim Wescott wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:29:03 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
> > <jer...@nospam.please> wrote:

> >> I'm a good guy! Honest! :-)
> >

> > I already added you to the "good guys" column ;-)
> >
> >> Obligatory electronics related question: What are the
> >> limits on ADC resolution? How close are we?
> >
> > I'm sure it's noise related, and thus depends on the configuration...
> > resistors; type: charge redistribution, current-steering, etc.; device
> > types: BJT or MOS....
> >
> If you want to be a tight-ass (or smart-ass) about terminology, there's
> no limit to _resolution_ -- how many useless bits do you want, though?
>
> The limit to the useful number of bits in current-day converters seems
> to be noise dependent.
>
> Monolithic 16-bit converters that sample at 100ksps have about 1-2
> counts of RMS noise -- this means that your output number will routinely
> vary by four to eight counts from nominal. This can be leveraged,
> however; if you have the processing power you can sample up to the speed
> limits of the converter then average down to your desired 'actual'
> sample rate you get a nice anti-aliasing filter for closed-loop control,
> and considerably more precision (if not accuracy) than 16 bits.
>
> Ditto for 14-bit monolithic converters sampling at 40MHz, with perhaps
> more LSB's of RMS noise.
>
> I suspect that you could do better with a hybrid converter, but I'm not
> Jim, so I don't know how much better, or how far you'd have to move
> heaven and earth to keep the critter in production if you did.
>
> If your process is slow you can get 24-bit sigma-delta A/D converters
> that sample out at 60Hz. I suspect the same (or perhaps only slightly
> better) noise spectral density as the above converters, but I've never
> done the math (it'd be interesting to do so).
>
> --
>
> Tim Wescott
> Wescott Design Services
> http://www.wescottdesign.com
>
> Do you need to implement control loops in software?
> "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says.
> See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

mike.t...@earthlink.net

Mar 18, 2008, 6:30:44 PM3/18/08

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)

I haven't used this account in about a year, but just in case.

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 18, 2008, 6:31:03 PM3/18/08

Jim Thompson wrote:

> You're in. I'm running nfilter "FLAG" right now to mark subjects.
> Once I list enough "good guys" I'll simply have Agent kill-file on
> "GOOG", "AIOE" and "UAR".

Why don't you post your current set of filters on your website, and
put a link in your sig file?

Rich Webb

Mar 18, 2008, 6:43:02 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:50:51 GMT, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Rich Webb wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:49:41 -0700, Joerg
>> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. Is it these for $49.99?

Okay ... the model I picked up was Sony MDR-NC40, with a claimed 40
hrs per AAA. As with (AFAIK) all or nearly all noise canceling
headphones, they're best at suppressing noise that would be called a
rumble or roar and aren't particularly effective for higher
frequencies. In a quiet room there is a slight but noticeable hiss;
OTOH, in a quiet room, just turn off the NC switch and use them as
regular phones. And they really kill the noise from fans and engines.

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 6:54:51 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:31:03 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>> You're in. I'm running nfilter "FLAG" right now to mark subjects.
>> Once I list enough "good guys" I'll simply have Agent kill-file on
>> "GOOG", "AIOE" and "UAR".
>

> Why don't you post your current set of filters on your website, and
>put a link in your sig file?

My only concern is that the forgers might see a way to circumvent the
filters.

I just E-mailed you a copy.

JeffM

Mar 18, 2008, 6:58:23 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
>Playing around with nfilter I discovered that
>"FLAG" is more appropriate than "DROP".
>
>"DROP" leaves the unmarked messages on the server,
>"FLAG" adds text to the Subject line and downloads the headers
>where, ultimately, Agent will dispose of the flagged messages.
>Flagging makes it easy for me to track good guys/bad guys
without much effort...
>good guys get added to the "whitelist"...
>all other googlegroups, aioe and uar posters go bye-bye ;-)

You're like a kid with a new toy. 8-)
...and I know you're thinking "How did I get along without this?"

Once you get this thing fattened up,
I hope you'll consider Terrell's request to publish the list.

I'm probably the most obvious Google poster.
I'd like admission.

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 6:57:35 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:24:34 -0700 (PDT), Didi <d...@tgi-sci.com> wrote:

>> Ditto for 14-bit monolithic converters sampling at 40MHz, with perhaps
>> more LSB's of RMS noise.
>
>Not sure about those at 40 MSPS, but a 14 bit, 10 MSPS (AD9240 from
>ADI) does spread very little around the central conversion channel,
>i.e. the noise peak to peak is well below 1 LSB. Mind you, I have
>designed it in 7 or so years ago (board rev. 0 done in 2000...),
>not that new an ADC at all. Someone at ADI must know damn well
>what he is doing.... :-).
>
>Dimiter
>
>P.S. Not sure if I am a "good guy" but I do post from Google :-).

You're "good" ;-)

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 6:58:55 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:30:44 -0700 (PDT), mike.t...@earthlink.net
wrote:

Added.

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 7:03:43 PM3/18/08
Rich Webb wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:50:51 GMT, Joerg
> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Rich Webb wrote:

> Okay ... the model I picked up was Sony MDR-NC40, with a claimed 40
> hrs per AAA. As with (AFAIK) all or nearly all noise canceling
> headphones, they're best at suppressing noise that would be called a
> rumble or roar and aren't particularly effective for higher
> frequencies. In a quiet room there is a slight but noticeable hiss;
> OTOH, in a quiet room, just turn off the NC switch and use them as
> regular phones. And they really kill the noise from fans and engines.

Seems like Tar-jay does not have that anymore but the other should be
very close since it's also Sony. Rumble-only performance is fine because
it's really about aircraft. Especially when you ride in the rodeo seats
like rows 44-46 on the 777.

Jim Thompson

Mar 18, 2008, 7:23:58 PM3/18/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:58:23 -0700 (PDT), JeffM <jef...@email.com>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>>Playing around with nfilter I discovered that
>>"FLAG" is more appropriate than "DROP".
>>
>>"DROP" leaves the unmarked messages on the server,
>>"FLAG" adds text to the Subject line and downloads the headers
>>where, ultimately, Agent will dispose of the flagged messages.
>>Flagging makes it easy for me to track good guys/bad guys
>without much effort...
>>good guys get added to the "whitelist"...
>>all other googlegroups, aioe and uar posters go bye-bye ;-)
>
>You're like a kid with a new toy. 8-)
>...and I know you're thinking "How did I get along without this?"

Absolutely !-)

>Once you get this thing fattened up,
>I hope you'll consider Terrell's request to publish the list.
>
>I'm probably the most obvious Google poster.
>I'd like admission.

You were already added, as were many others, simply based on your
normal posting.

Maybe it would be safe to post the filters, I don't know... these
hackers seem to have only a life based on disruption... but I guess
that's what you do when you're otherwise incompetent ;-)

John Devereux

Mar 18, 2008, 7:38:38 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> writes:

I would worry about attracting spam to the addresses you post.

Although I suppose if they are used for usenet they will already be
doing that...

--

John Devereux

TheM

Mar 18, 2008, 7:28:56 PM3/18/08
"Joerg" <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message news:gRTDj.5364$Rq1....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com...

> They offered noise-cancelling ones for $65 from their duty-free but probably not Bose. Hmm, maybe the horrible "ear pieces" do
> foster duty-free sales ...
> --
> Regards, Joerg

Now this link should earn me clearance, right?
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/noise-canceling-headphones,review-1044.html

They claim sub-100$ models are rubbish.

Mark

JeffM

Mar 18, 2008, 8:18:19 PM3/18/08

John Devereux wrote:
>I would worry about attracting spam to the addresses you post.

JT could use a CAPTCHA to restrict access to the page.
--Hey! Wait a minute.
Wasn't that what sent all of this reeling out of control? 8-)

Terry Given

Mar 18, 2008, 8:30:57 PM3/18/08

why go to the back of the line?

Cheers
Terry

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 9:00:48 PM3/18/08

Well, I am not noise-sensitive enough to shell out $300 for headphones.
I am one of the guys who still listen to AM radio when on the road.

One reason I am not going to spend much is that the foam pads on newer
headphones fall apart so fast. My old Sennheisers were great but I can't
find pads anymore. The last ones simply crumpled.

Martin Riddle

Mar 18, 2008, 9:26:38 PM3/18/08

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote in message

> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)

Count me in. What little I have to say usually pisses off Fred.
In the end thats fun ;)

Cheers

Joerg

Mar 18, 2008, 9:34:39 PM3/18/08
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:22:41 GMT, Joerg
> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>>> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>>>
>>> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>>> guy ;-)
>>>
>> Very simple: A local car dealer with a cowboy theme mentioned in the TV
>> ads "They are the good guys, because they wear white hats". So, there.
>
> What? You have Tex Earnhardt over there, too?

No, I think it was a Chevrolet dealer. But not sure, it's too long ago.
I loved that ad.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

krw

Mar 18, 2008, 11:02:30 PM3/18/08
In article <1jv0u3d4tr70656m1...@4ax.com>,
Zarat...@thusspoke.org says...
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:06:02 -0700, Jim Thompson
> <To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:51:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> ><mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >Dumb-shit, I only save current/active-discussion posts.
>
> You're the dumbshit, you stupid fuck. Happy for hyphens this week, you
> pussy motherfucker?

> >Ah, yes, a whitelist of 1000's.
>
> No, dumbfuck. An alphabetized list of all the posts you ever clicked on
> to DL. I ONLY DL posts I want to read. I also STILL have all those I
> have DLd. Covering years. It is quite easy to stop on one and grab the
> data I need to make that person a NON-filtered poster, you stupid
> fucktard.
>

> >"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt", Don't you have any concerns about
> >constantly showing your abysmal ignorance?
> >

> You're a goddamned idiot! I can sort my post list right now and see a
> few I should ignore, like your retarded ass, and I also see all those I
> would want my filter to leave alone. Pretty simple shit, you fucking
> retarded fuck.
>
> >> So, 'News Proxy' is something else you know absolutely nothing about.
> >>There are no old posts, because it is a proxy server, and you access it
> >>with the server name 'localhost', dimbulb.
> >
> >nfilter/News Proxy is something I wish I'd heard of sooner. Really
> >works nice.
>
> You're both fucking retarded. nfilter has been around for years.
>
> >I'll clear manually for a week or so, selectively dumping until I'm
> >confident that any GOOG, AIOE, or UAR tag is definitely a bad guy,
> >then I'll let Agent manage dumping those tags.
>
> You're an idiot. But the group is already aware of that fact.
> I just can't wait for your chest gripping, painful end to give you it's
> smack of reality. Shouldn't be long now. You see... I have foresight.
> Bwuahahahahahahaha! Won't be long now!

Why doesn't someone forge Dimbulb? It would be an improvement!

--
Keith

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 18, 2008, 11:03:09 PM3/18/08

Jim Thompson wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:58:23 -0700 (PDT), JeffM <jef...@email.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Jim Thompson wrote:
> >>Playing around with nfilter I discovered that
> >>"FLAG" is more appropriate than "DROP".
> >>
> >>"DROP" leaves the unmarked messages on the server,
> >>"FLAG" adds text to the Subject line and downloads the headers
> >>where, ultimately, Agent will dispose of the flagged messages.
> >>Flagging makes it easy for me to track good guys/bad guys
> >without much effort...
> >>good guys get added to the "whitelist"...
> >>all other googlegroups, aioe and uar posters go bye-bye ;-)
> >
> >You're like a kid with a new toy. 8-)
> >...and I know you're thinking "How did I get along without this?"
>
> Absolutely !-)

I did tell you about it several times n the past, but I guess the
noise wasn't high enough for you to check it out. at that time?

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 18, 2008, 11:05:12 PM3/18/08

Come on Martin. The sun coming up each morning pisses off Fred.

Mar 18, 2008, 11:07:52 PM3/18/08
In article <7cg0u3dspijdugmv8...@4ax.com>,
bbe...@mapson.nozirev.ten says...

I've got a pair of Philips SHN2500's that are pretty good and I only
paid $29.95 for them. They employ the passive with the in-ear phones and
then the active unit.

It does work better with regular noises that are constant, like roars,
rumbles, etc.

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 18, 2008, 11:15:54 PM3/18/08

krw wrote:

> Why doesn't someone forge Dimbulb? It would be an improvement!

I said that, last week.

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 18, 2008, 11:16:44 PM3/18/08

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

> Bwuahahahahahahaha! Won't be long now!

What? Your next raid of your mother's lingerie chest?

whit3rd

Mar 18, 2008, 11:22:09 PM3/18/08

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message

Count me, I prithee, amongst the good guys.

I haven't been called anything worse than 'pedantic ass',
so you know I'm nearly virtuous!

Message has been deleted

redbelly

Mar 19, 2008, 8:37:59 AM3/19/08

Web-Site.com> wrote:
> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> guy ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Reporting to duty as ordered, sir!

-- Mark

MooseFET

Mar 19, 2008, 9:28:26 AM3/19/08
On Mar 18, 8:02 pm, krw <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzz> wrote:
> In article <1jv0u3d4tr70656m1ugsgs67k3rkar8...@4ax.com>,
> Zarathus...@thusspoke.org says...

They did som time back.

MooseFET

Mar 19, 2008, 9:30:01 AM3/19/08
On Mar 18, 2:13 pm, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-
Web-Site.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:09:14 -0700 (PDT), MooseFET
>
> <kensm...@rahul.net> wrote:
> >On Mar 18, 8:38 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-

> >Web-Site.com> wrote:
> >> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
> >> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>
> >Testing 1-2-3

> >> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
> >> guy ;-)
>
> >> ...Jim Thompson
>
> You are presently listed as a "good guy" ;-)

That likely a first ;>

Al Borowski

Mar 19, 2008, 9:45:05 AM3/19/08
On Mar 19, 4:08 am, Joerg <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net>
wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:45:37 -0700, Joerg
> > <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >> I wish they'd invest the savings in better headphones. Just came back
> >> across the ocean on American Airlines and their new "stick-in-the-ear"
> >> thingies are horrible. THD was about 90% on both long-haul flights, you
> >> had to crank it to max volume to hear anything. Terrible.
>
> > I made up an adapter to allow me to plug in my over-the-ear phones ;-)
>
> Yeah, I am going to buy a pair. Right now I only have the monstrous
> pilot's version with mike and all that, plus a Sennheiser HD480 but the
> foam pads on that one have crumpled away :-(

Eh? I hadn't realised that the standard headset jacks (used in Cessnas
etc) were also used on large jets for passengers. Or do you use an
adaptor or something?

Cheers,

Al

Jim Thompson

Mar 19, 2008, 10:45:41 AM3/19/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:03:09 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:58:23 -0700 (PDT), JeffM <jef...@email.com>
>> wrote:

>> >without much effort...
>> >
>> >You're like a kid with a new toy. 8-)
>> >...and I know you're thinking "How did I get along without this?"
>>
>> Absolutely !-)
>

> I did tell you about it several times n the past, but I guess the
>noise wasn't high enough for you to check it out. at that time?

I finally found a site that offered a Windows installer :-O

Glen Walpert

Mar 19, 2008, 10:48:25 AM3/19/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:10:37 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:35:33 +0000, JamesB <use...@mesb.co.uk> wrote:

>>Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>>> message so I can clear you in my nfilters.
>>>

>>> It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad
>>> guy ;-)
>>

>>My cow-orkers say that I'm not a nice person. Does that count?
>
>_Everyone_ thinks I'm not nice ;-)

Nonsense, we _all_ think of you as a *very* nice if slightly deluded
old geezer, almost always willing to share both the knowledge and
delusions acquired over those many long years almost anyone willing to
post on SED! Or, put another way, you have been providing thousands
of us with both useful information and entertainment for decades; what
could possibly be nicer? In fact, we _all_ think that makes you one
of the nicest posters here - please keep it up!

> ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

Mar 19, 2008, 11:02:13 AM3/19/08
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:22:09 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mar 18, 8:38 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-
>Web-Site.com> wrote:
>> If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test
>> message
>
>Count me, I prithee, amongst the good guys.

Done.

>I haven't been called anything worse than 'pedantic ass',
>so you know I'm nearly virtuous!

;-)

Jim Thompson

Mar 19, 2008, 11:02:27 AM3/19/08

Done.

Jim Thompson

Mar 19, 2008, 11:19:03 AM3/19/08
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:48:25 GMT, Glen Walpert <nos...@null.void>
wrote:

I aims to please ;-)

Message has been deleted

Jim Thompson

Mar 19, 2008, 11:43:46 AM3/19/08
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:10:37 -0700, Jim Thompson
><To-Email-Use-Th...@My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>>>My cow-orkers say that I'm not a nice person. Does that count?
>>
>>_Everyone_ thinks I'm not nice ;-)
>
>Nonsense, we _all_ think of you as a *very* nice if slightly deluded
>old geezer, almost always willing to share both the knowledge and
>delusions acquired over those many long years almost anyone willing to
>post on SED! Or, put another way, you have been providing thousands
>of us with both useful information and entertainment for decades; what
>could possibly be nicer? In fact, we _all_ think that makes you one
>of the nicest posters here - please keep it up!

"Old geezer"?? Then what is my father's "rank" ?:-)

mrda...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2008, 12:02:16 PM3/19/08
On Mar 18, 4:03 pm, Joerg <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net>
wrote:

> Rich Webb wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:50:51 GMT, Joerg
> > <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

> > Okay ... the model I picked up was Sony MDR-NC40, with a claimed 40
> > hrs per AAA. As with (AFAIK) all or nearly all noise canceling
> > headphones, they're best at suppressing noise that would be called a
> > rumble or roar and aren't particularly effective for higher
> > frequencies. In a quiet room there is a slight but noticeable hiss;
> > OTOH, in a quiet room, just turn off the NC switch and use them as
> > regular phones. And they really kill the noise from fans and engines.
>
> Seems like Tar-jay does not have that anymore but the other should be
> very close since it's also Sony. Rumble-only performance is fine because
> it's really about aircraft. Especially when you ride in the rodeo seats
> like rows 44-46 on the 777.

> --
> Regards, Joerg
>
> http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Oh come on... I thought you're an EE!

http://www.headwize.com/projects/noise_prj.htm

Make sure it passes EMI tests before bringing it on the 777...

Michael

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 19, 2008, 12:10:44 PM3/19/08
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:00:48 GMT, Joerg
<notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:

>Well, I am not noise-sensitive enough to shell out $300 for headphones.
>I am one of the guys who still listen to AM radio when on the road.

Well, at least you're not watching TV on the road.

>One reason I am not going to spend much is that the foam pads on newer
>headphones fall apart so fast. My old Sennheisers were great but I can't
>find pads anymore. The last ones simply crumpled.

Replacement pads for your Sennheiser HD480:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190207263547>
Several online stores also carry them.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

JeffM

Mar 19, 2008, 12:16:49 PM3/19/08
mrdarrett@ gmail.com wrote:
>>[Jim Thompson's sig redacted]
>>
>So let's say that I'm in your Bad Guy filter, and I post a message,
>and someone in your Good Guy filter responds. Won't you see my post
>anyway, because Good Guy included my post in his reply?
> Michael

The truth table has more than 1 square. You are ASSuMEing

1) Someone will respond.
(Maybe your IF statement should have stated
that your post is truly fascinating. 8-)

2) The someone who responds hasn't been pre-plonked.
(OK--already a condition of your IF statement.)

3) *That* someone is interested enough in your *whole* message
to blockquote it in its entirety.

...and y'know,
*your* trimming should be stripping the sig(s) of previous posters
(anything below and including

...but, yeah, *if* all the conditions are met,
someone who filters rigorously will see your post
--or at least what's left of it after trimming.

Joerg

Mar 19, 2008, 1:01:50 PM3/19/08
TheM wrote:
> "Joerg" <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote in message news:4BZDj.32579$J41....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...

>> Well, I am not noise-sensitive enough to shell out $300 for headphones. I am one of the guys who still listen to AM radio when on
>> the road.
>>
>> One reason I am not going to spend much is that the foam pads on newer headphones fall apart so fast. My old Sennheisers were
>> great but I can't find pads anymore. The last ones simply crumpled.
>> --
>> Regards, Joerg
>
> How about 150? With the $ as low as it is I could almost justify this. And if it keeps falling as it is right now
> it'll soon cost you a few euro cents (blatant exageration) :)

Well, I live in the US and earn USD :-(

Joerg

Mar 19, 2008, 1:01:11 PM3/19/08

You need an adapter and that would not be a problem. A problem with such
large sets is their sheer size plus the scrutiny they always get at the
TSA check points.

Joerg

Mar 19, 2008, 1:03:21 PM3/19/08
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:00:48 GMT, Joerg
> <notthis...@removethispacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, I am not noise-sensitive enough to shell out $300 for headphones.
>> I am one of the guys who still listen to AM radio when on the road.
>
> Well, at least you're not watching TV on the road.
>
>> One reason I am not going to spend much is that the foam pads on newer
>> headphones fall apart so fast. My old Sennheisers were great but I can't
>> find pads anymore. The last ones simply crumpled.
>
> Replacement pads for your Sennheiser HD480:
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190207263547>
> Several online stores also carry them.

Ah, thanks! However, one has to inquire about their age because they
aren't very stable and age too fast IMHO.

It is loading more messages.