Somewhat OT: mechanical drawing software?

Walter Harley

Jun 20, 2004, 1:14:04 AM6/20/04
I need to get something halfway decent to make mechanical drawings, of
things like chassis, faceplates, assemblies, PCB's. Been using Visio,
because it's what I have at hand, but it's just awful when it comes to
getting accurate dimensions, trying to make precise radiused corners, and so
forth.

AutoCAD costs a gazillion dollars, and I don't really want software that
needs user groups and two-day seminars to learn how to use anyway.

Can anyone recommend something simple that:
- costs < $200, preferably free,
- runs on Windows (or maybe Linux, but Mac is not gonna happen),
- ideally, can save in a format that others can read, such as .DXF?

I don't need 3-D, although that might be nice; just accurate 2-D without too
much pain.

Thanks,
-walter

Roy Battell

Jun 20, 2004, 2:21:38 AM6/20/04
In article <cb36es$6hi$0...@216.39.172.65>, Walter Harley
<wal...@cafewalterNOSPAM.com> writes
Vutrax PCB CAD has a reasonable 2D technical drawing repertoire
in Metric and/or Imperial with dimensioning, radiusing etc.
It can output DXF. You can introduce text in any Truetype Font
you have on Windows or import them to Linux.
You would need to go though the basic tutorial (but not
library building etc.) to get the hang of it.
It's free up to 256 pins, but such limits don't apply to
2D drawing without component tags and pads.

You can download the whole thing (about 10MB) from

http://www.vutrax.co.uk (Main UK site)
http://www.protonique.com/vutrax (Central Europe Mirror)

Available for PC based LINUX (Red hat, SuSE, etc)
and Windows 95, 98, NT 3.51 & 4.0,2000, ME & XP
--
Roy Battell.
To use this address remove the digits included to remove Spam ...

Leon Heller

Jun 20, 2004, 2:43:21 AM6/20/04
"Walter Harley" <wal...@cafewalterNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> I need to get something halfway decent to make mechanical drawings, of
> things like chassis, faceplates, assemblies, PCB's. Been using Visio,
> because it's what I have at hand, but it's just awful when it comes to
> getting accurate dimensions, trying to make precise radiused corners, and
so
> forth.

IntelliCAD is very good:

http://www.cadopia.com

The free demo will probably do everything you want. It isn't very expensive
if you want to buy it, but you can use the demo as long as you like.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Tony Williams

Jun 20, 2004, 3:05:49 AM6/20/04
In article <cb36es$6hi$0...@216.39.172.65>,

Walter Harley <wal...@cafewalterNOSPAM.com> wrote:
> I need to get something halfway decent to make mechanical
> drawings, of things like chassis, faceplates, assemblies, PCB's.
> Been using Visio, because it's what I have at hand, but it's just
> awful when it comes to getting accurate dimensions, trying to
> make precise radiused corners, and so forth.

I use ProCAD+ by David Snell and there is a Windows
version called wProCAD+. For a free demo goto.......

<http://www.zynet.co.uk/dsnell>

--
Tony Williams.

Frank Bemelman

Jun 20, 2004, 6:27:33 AM6/20/04
"Walter Harley" <wal...@cafewalterNOSPAM.com> schreef in bericht

Autosketch. Easy to learn, just install it and start drawing. Cheap too,
hundred bucks or so. Has DXF import/export.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Ken Moffett

Jun 20, 2004, 7:30:51 AM6/20/04

I've used AutoSketch from AutoDesk, the AutoCad company, for several
years. It doesen't have the power of AutoCad, but then again it only
costs $99 for version 8 (I started out on V2). It does have the accuracy
and a lot of nice features.

Martin Riddle

Jun 20, 2004, 11:21:11 AM6/20/04
CMS INtellicad $200
A great Acad knock off, full 2d, not sure about the 3d tho.

Ken Smith

Jun 20, 2004, 2:57:01 PM6/20/04
In article <cb36es$6hi$0...@216.39.172.65>,
Walter Harley <wal...@cafewalterNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>I need to get something halfway decent to make mechanical drawings, of
>things like chassis, faceplates, assemblies, PCB's. Been using Visio,
>because it's what I have at hand, but it's just awful when it comes to
>getting accurate dimensions, trying to make precise radiused corners, and so
>forth.
>
>AutoCAD costs a gazillion dollars, and I don't really want software that
>needs user groups and two-day seminars to learn how to use anyway.

I suggest Turbo CAD for $99. It is fairly straight forward to use but a
bit clunky.

QCAD is free so you may want to look at it too. QCADs user interface was
obviously written by a fan of adventure games. If you are trying it
remember you have to into something then into something then back out and
back out to get to make it happen. When you have given it enough
information to do what you want done it adds the option to the context you
started in not where you are now.

kens...@rahul.net forging knowledge

Ken Smith

Jun 20, 2004, 2:58:16 PM6/20/04
In article <40d53207$0$283$cc9e...@news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
Leon Heller <leon_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[....]

>IntelliCAD is very good:
>
>http://www.cadopia.com

It is *way* more powerful and easy to use than Turbo CAD but about 2x the
price.

Ken Smith

Jun 20, 2004, 3:00:29 PM6/20/04
In article <40d5664c$0$79702$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Frank Bemelman <f.bem...@planet.invalid.nl> wrote:
[.....]

>Autosketch. Easy to learn, just install it and start drawing. Cheap too,
>hundred bucks or so. Has DXF import/export.

I tried AutoSketch a couple of years ago. It is awful.

Ken Smith

Jun 20, 2004, 3:03:33 PM6/20/04
In article <HXhBc.7865$bs4....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,

Martin Riddle <martin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>CMS INtellicad $200
>A great Acad knock off, full 2d, not sure about the 3d tho.

Intellicad does do 3d.

Unlike thinks like solid edge etc. it doesn't make realistic pictures
automatically and allow rotations etc. It does allow a 3d wire frame to
be viewed rotated but it can't hide hidden surfaces.

At least I couldn't figure out how to automatically hide them.

Frank Bemelman

Jun 20, 2004, 3:51:08 PM6/20/04
"Ken Smith" <kens...@violet.rahul.net> schreef in bericht

> In article <40d5664c$0$79702$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
> Frank Bemelman <f.bem...@planet.invalid.nl> wrote:
> [.....]
> >Autosketch. Easy to learn, just install it and start drawing. Cheap too,
> >hundred bucks or so. Has DXF import/export.
>
> I tried AutoSketch a couple of years ago. It is awful.

It's okay for simple work, and meets the OP's budget of $200.

John Jardine

Jun 20, 2004, 4:45:01 PM6/20/04

Walter Harley <wal...@cafewalterNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
DesignCad express. Cheap. Very effective. Been using DesignCad for years not
only for mechanical drawings but for those general, publication quality
drawings that go down well at meetings etc.

Ken Smith

Jun 20, 2004, 8:26:48 PM6/20/04
In article <40d5eaf8$0$35784$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,

Frank Bemelman <f.bem...@planet.invalid.nl> wrote:
>"Ken Smith" <kens...@violet.rahul.net> schreef in bericht
>> In article <40d5664c$0$79702$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
>> Frank Bemelman <f.bem...@planet.invalid.nl> wrote:
>> [.....]
>> >Autosketch. Easy to learn, just install it and start drawing. Cheap too,
>> >hundred bucks or so. Has DXF import/export.
>>
>> I tried AutoSketch a couple of years ago. It is awful.
>
>It's okay for simple work, and meets the OP's budget of $200.

Its awful awful awful nasty nasty nasty, their manual is poorly arranged
and their dog's ugly too.

Chris Carlen

Jun 20, 2004, 8:20:46 PM6/20/04

Seems no one mentioned Varicad, which runs on Linux. I checked it out
but the interface was so different from AutoCAD which I know that I
decided I could afford the time to learn another program, as much as I
want to be doing my mechanicals on Linux.

There is Qcad, which someone mentioned.

Pro-E or whatever it is called, was supposed to be porting to Linux.
They have some free 2D package which might also run on Linux.

Good day!

--
_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen

Mike

Jun 20, 2004, 9:14:42 PM6/20/04
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:57:01 +0000 (UTC), Ken Smith wrote:

> QCAD is free so you may want to look at it too. QCADs user interface was

> obviously written by a fan of adventure games. ...

When it starts up, does it open a window that says, "YOU ARE STANDING AT
THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING. AROUND YOU IS A FOREST. A
SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND DOWN A GULLY" ?

-- Mike --

Carl Ijames

Jun 20, 2004, 9:17:56 PM6/20/04
This question comes up on rec.crafts.metalworking about as often as the
"what should I use to layout pcbs?" comes up here. A little time on
google should give lots of info.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Chris Carlen

Jun 20, 2004, 9:02:12 PM6/20/04

RoyalHeart

Jun 20, 2004, 9:47:24 PM6/20/04
Walter Harley wrote:

> I need to get something halfway decent to make mechanical drawings, of
> things like chassis, faceplates, assemblies, PCB's. Been using Visio,
> because it's what I have at hand, but it's just awful when it comes to
> getting accurate dimensions, trying to make precise radiused corners, and so
> forth.
>
> AutoCAD costs a gazillion dollars, and I don't really want software that
> needs user groups and two-day seminars to learn how to use anyway.
>
> Can anyone recommend something simple that:
> - costs < $200, preferably free,

QuickCAD from Autodesk. I purchased the latest version, V8, from my
local Staples (office supply store) for US $49.95. Very easy to use
(IMHO) and has an accuracy of something like 0.00000001 inch (or mm),
give or take a right-hand zero or two.

> - runs on Windows (or maybe Linux, but Mac is not gonna happen),

The version I have runs on Windows. I think it is also available for
Linux. Not sure.

> - ideally, can save in a format that others can read, such as .DXF?

QuickCAD can import and export DXF format files.

> I don't need 3-D, although that might be nice; just accurate 2-D without too
> much pain.
>
> Thanks,
> -walter

QuickCAD will also do 3D, if you need that.

--

RoyalHeart

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "Thou hast to learn from
Yesterday, live for Today, and look forward to Tomorrow, for The Past is
The Present, and no less The Future."

Spehro Pefhany

Jun 20, 2004, 10:10:37 PM6/20/04
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:47:24 -0400, the renowned RoyalHeart
<royalhea...@barnwellscREMOVE.com> wrote:

>QuickCAD from Autodesk. I purchased the latest version, V8, from my
>local Staples (office supply store) for US $49.95. Very easy to use
>(IMHO) and has an accuracy of something like 0.00000001 inch (or mm),
>give or take a right-hand zero or two.

I had occasion to check an analytical solution of intersection of a
line with an an arc with the drawn version on a CAD program and found
a rather large error (a good fraction of a thou in a few inches)
compared to the (correct) analytical solution. So, depending on your
construction methods, the CAD programs may not yield nearly as high
accuracy as their resolution.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Don K

Jun 20, 2004, 11:09:30 PM6/20/04
"Ken Smith" <kens...@violet.rahul.net> wrote in message news:cb4msd$j91$4...@blue.rahul.net...

> In article <40d5664c$0$79702$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
> Frank Bemelman <f.bem...@planet.invalid.nl> wrote:
> [.....]
> >Autosketch. Easy to learn, just install it and start drawing. Cheap too,
> >hundred bucks or so. Has DXF import/export.
>
> I tried AutoSketch a couple of years ago. It is awful.

Try to find someone selling an old copy of AutoSketch version 2.1.
Version 2.1 was a terrific 2-D drawing program. It is easy-to-use
and has a macro recording language.

Actually, I think it was too good. It was better than their more
expensive product, Auto-CAD Lite, so they dumped it, and bought
some kludgy CAD program from another company and called them AutoSketch
version 5 and 6. These have none of the elegance and ease of use
of the "real" AutoSketch, version 2.1.

Don

Ken Smith

Jun 21, 2004, 12:10:53 AM6/21/04
In article <1i0cvrs54wj7b.h...@40tude.net>,

It isn't in all upper case. Things have advanced since then. The "PLUGH"
and "XYZZY" commands operate as per normal.

Rolavine

Jun 21, 2004, 2:34:13 AM6/21/04
>Subject: Re: Somewhat OT: mechanical drawing software?
>From: kens...@violet.rahul.net (Ken Smith)
>Date: 6/20/2004 11:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>In article <40d53207$0$283$cc9e...@news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
>Leon Heller <leon_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>[....]
>>IntelliCAD is very good:
>>
>>http://www.cadopia.com
>>

>It is *way* more powerful and easy to use than Turbo CAD but about 2x the
>price.

I 2nd that recomendation, and add that intellicad is very autocad like in
commands and menu structures, and that it can import and save in autocad dwg
and dxf's all the way back to the early DOS versions if you want.

But when I want to make a 2 dimesional drawing I use the version of Autocad
Lite that I bought in 1996, that is about my level of being able to use the
features.

Rocky.

JeffM

Jun 21, 2004, 5:09:51 AM6/21/04
>something halfway decent to make mechanical drawings...preferably
free
> Walter Harley

Sodipodi
http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=MPG.1af3aa71fdc39b9798989a%40NEWS.INDIVIDUAL.NET

Phil Hobbs

Jun 21, 2004, 8:59:10 AM6/21/04

Your are in a maze of twisty little corridors, all alike.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Chris Carlen

Jun 21, 2004, 4:01:38 PM6/21/04
RoyalHeart wrote:
> QuickCAD from Autodesk. I purchased the latest version, V8, from my
> local Staples (office supply store) for US $49.95. Very easy to use
> (IMHO) and has an accuracy of something like 0.00000001 inch (or mm),
> give or take a right-hand zero or two.
>
>> - runs on Windows (or maybe Linux, but Mac is not gonna happen),
>

> The version I have runs on Windows. I think it is also available for
> Linux. Not sure.

Not, unfortunately.

--
____________________________________
Christopher R. Carlen

Rolavine

Jun 21, 2004, 10:38:26 PM6/21/04
>Subject: Re: Somewhat OT: mechanical drawing software?
>From: Chris Carlen crc...@BOGUS.sandia.gov
>Date: 6/21/2004 1:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time
I have the latest version of the $50 quick cad, it hangs up on my Windows Me
system at odd times. I have not had much luck with it, and I have no idea why
it messes us.

I don't like ist toy like GUI, not autocad like at all with a crude ruler above
the workspace, and am putting in another plug for Cadopia's intellicad.

George

Jun 22, 2004, 11:32:08 AM6/22/04
Autocad has QuickCad. About $80. and it's read 2D cad. I think you
can also do otrhagonal views like the exploded assembly diagrams.

Works Great.

George

Rene Tschaggelar

Jun 22, 2004, 3:48:59 PM6/22/04
Walter Harley wrote:
> I need to get something halfway decent to make mechanical drawings, of
> things like chassis, faceplates, assemblies, PCB's. Been using Visio,
> because it's what I have at hand, but it's just awful when it comes to
> getting accurate dimensions, trying to make precise radiused corners, and so
> forth.
>
> AutoCAD costs a gazillion dollars, and I don't really want software that
> needs user groups and two-day seminars to learn how to use anyway.
>
> Can anyone recommend something simple that:
> - costs < $200, preferably free,
> - runs on Windows (or maybe Linux, but Mac is not gonna happen),
> - ideally, can save in a format that others can read, such as .DXF?
>
> I don't need 3-D, although that might be nice; just accurate 2-D without too
> much pain.

I came across FelixCAD a while ago.
I couldn't comment on it as it is too long ago.

Rene

Chaos Master

Jun 22, 2004, 7:23:39 PM6/22/04
JeffM (jef...@email.com) said those last words:

This is not exactly to do mechanical drawings.
Sodipodi is more like Corel Draw and I am using Sodipodi to create a small one-
sheet newspaper.

[]s
--
© Chaos Master. |"These wounds won't seem to heal
My Evanescence HP is at: | This pain is just too real

L. Fiar

Jun 26, 2004, 1:23:07 PM6/26/04
"Walter Harley" <wal...@cafewalterNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I need to get something halfway decent to make mechanical drawings,
> of things like chassis, faceplates, assemblies, PCB's.
>
> Can anyone recommend something simple that:
> - costs < $200, preferably free,
> - runs on Windows (or maybe Linux, but Mac is not gonna happen),
> - ideally, can save in a format that others can read, such as .DXF?
>
> I don't need 3-D, although that might be nice; just accurate
> 2-D without too much pain.

For those in the UK, some Co-op supermarkets have some very cheap software
in at the moment. One package is 10 disks:
CadComplete.
Multimedia Greetings.
3D Atlas.
Infopedia UK.
Multipedia.
Comptons Encyclopedia (1998 ed)
Comptons Cookbook.
Think and talk French.
Bodyworks 6.0
Project Manager Pro.

All in one package, named "Megamedia" for just £3.99.
I have not yet tried the CadComplete, so I cannot comment on how good it is,
although it boasts 20 symbol libraries - including electrical, electronic,
computer, technology, home design, and others.

Among other graphics software, I still use an old version of Coreldraw! The
vector graphics do some nice diagrams for printing.