Google News - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Paul E. Schoen

Jun 25, 2006, 8:46:59 PM6/25/06
I sometimes use www.groups.google.com to access newsgroups, particularly
when I do not have access to a news server, such as news.coretel.net, which
I use with my ISP account at this location.

Recently, I found that some of my posts were not showing up. I tried
Google, and they were there, along with possibly some others that were not
showing up with Coretel. Normally my posts appear within a few minutes, if
not instantly. However, two recent posts did not show up after several
hours.

At my work location, where I must use Google, I found a problem where
Internet Explorer would consistently crash if I was following a thread with
the left pane as a tree, and I tried to widen the pane. The cursor started
blinking and the CPU usage, as reported by Program Mangler, was 100%. I was
able to close the application, and dutifully reported it to Microsoft. I
thought perhaps it was a peculiarity of the system at work, but I just
duplicated it here.

I was wondering if any other GoogleGroups users have had similar problems?
I think it may be a bug in the Java script or whatever applet is used to
move the pane divider and refresh the screen, but it may also be a bug in
IE or WinXP. It is a minor annoyance, but worth investigating.

Also, has anyone else experienced problems with Coretel news?

Thanks,

Paul

JeffM

Jun 25, 2006, 10:38:27 PM6/25/06
>I sometimes use www.groups.google.com
> Paul E. Schoen

That is called Google Groups.
Google News is http://news.google.com.
.

.
>At my work location, where I must use Google,
>I found a problem where Internet Explorer would consistently crash

Wotsamatta?
Won't they allow you to install decent software on your box?
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

>if I was following a thread with the left pane as a tree,
>and I tried to widen the pane. The cursor started blinking
>and the CPU usage, as reported by Program Mangler, was 100%.
>

>I was wondering if any other GoogleGroups users
>have had similar problems?

Never
--but I've never used anything other than a Gecko browser to access it.

>I think it may be a bug in the Java script
>or whatever applet is used to move the pane divider
>and refresh the screen,
>but it may also be a bug in IE

There's an easy way to check that: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

If they won't allow you to install it on your HDD,
but they haven't disabled your USB ports:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/browsers/portable_firefox
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/browse_frm/thread/e1ef929d1b49b595/f7cb8140342db189?q=zzz+*-*-FF-TB-OpenOffice-*-FileZilla-*-*-*-all-on-a-512MB-memory-stick+PortableFireFox.EXE+qq-qq+bookmarks+double-click-*.EXE-on-your-memory-stick+address-books

David L. Jones

Jun 25, 2006, 11:24:21 PM6/25/06

I use Google Groups all the time and have not had any problems in
recent times.
When the Beta service first started it was a bit flakey with even
posting stuff into Google Groups itself a problem. But in say the last
6 months it's been perfect.
Never had an issue with it crashing on IE.

Don't worry too much if your posts don't show up on other news servers,
that's par for the course on usenet really.
Wish I had a dollar for every time I've switched news servers because
of lost posts etc.
I'm happy with GG now though.

Dave :)

Luhan

Jun 26, 2006, 9:47:04 AM6/26/06

I get a lost post maybe one out of 25 times going in thru Google. I
also get some minor editing glitches. None of this happened when I had
a real newsreader last year.

Luhan

Paul E. Schoen

Jun 26, 2006, 2:50:51 PM6/26/06

"Luhan" <luh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Paul E. Schoen wrote:
>> I sometimes use www.groups.google.com to access newsgroups, particularly
>> when I do not have access to a news server, such as news.coretel.net,
>> which
>> I use with my ISP account at this location.
>>
>> Recently, I found that some of my posts were not showing up. I tried
>> Google, and they were there, along with possibly some others that were
>> not
>> showing up with Coretel. Normally my posts appear within a few minutes,
>> if
>> not instantly. However, two recent posts did not show up after several
>> hours.

[snip unrelated problem with Google]

>> Also, has anyone else experienced problems with Coretel news?
>
> I get a lost post maybe one out of 25 times going in thru Google. I
> also get some minor editing glitches. None of this happened when I had
> a real newsreader last year.
>
> Luhan

It looks like the posts I sent through Coretel.net were posted, but they
never appeared on my Outlook Express newsreader. They were both on the same
thread, about cascading VRs, and were separated by four hours. It was
obviously on their outgoing server, but probably were missed by the
incoming. I don't know the technical details of news servers. Is there a
way for them to detect missed posts? Is there a way for a newsreader to
request a fresh download for a particular thread? Maybe it's time to do
some research on it, switch to a better newsreader (I used to use
FreeAgent), or contact Coretel or my ISP.

Paul

Tim Williams

Jun 25, 2006, 9:46:30 PM6/25/06
Works for me, see ABSE for example.

I assume that I had the threaded config... I always have it set (what little
I use Google Groups), though it may be unfair with just one post. Well,
does it "work" for you on this same thread?

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

"Paul E. Schoen" <pst...@smart.net> wrote in message

David L. Jones

Jun 26, 2006, 7:15:51 PM6/26/06

You've gone and jinxed me Paul!
I just got a new PC at home last night and installed XP from scratch,
and what do you know, GG hangs on IE just viewing messages! It just
starts thrashing the hard drive and never stops.
I was using Win2000 before without problems.
Although I haven't done much else on it yet, other web content doesn't
seem to have a problem.
Haven't installed Firefox yet, maybe that will fix it.
The WinXp/IE combo works fine at work though.

Grrrrrrrr....

Dave :)

Joerg

Jun 26, 2006, 9:02:26 PM6/26/06
Hello Paul,

< dropped posts >

> Also, has anyone else experienced problems with Coretel news?

Not with that provider but with mine (SBC, now AT&T). It began a few
months ago. Some posts didn't show up at all, others do show but the
message body is blank. IOW, often I cannot respond because I don't see
it unless I smell something and look via Google groups. Whatever people
say about Google groups it does have the most reliable post repository I
have seen so far.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Joerg

Jun 26, 2006, 9:09:48 PM6/26/06
Hello Paul,

> ... I don't know the technical details of news servers. Is there a

> way for them to detect missed posts? Is there a way for a newsreader to
> request a fresh download for a particular thread? Maybe it's time to do
> some research on it, switch to a better newsreader (I used to use
> FreeAgent), or contact Coretel or my ISP.

Best to do this from another PC or at least set the file storage to
another temporary directory before doing this: Unsubscribe from this
group, then subscribe again. When asked for the number of headers to
download type in something high enough to catch everything back to your
thread. Maybe a few thousand. If they still show up chances are that
your news server has missed those posts.

Don't expect your ISP staff to get too excited. Usenet isn't high on the
pecking order these days anymore. Years ago when I called my ISP about a
newsgroup problem I had to explain to the guy what usenet is :-)

Rich, but drunk

Jun 28, 2006, 3:50:44 PM6/28/06

Windows: 32-bit eye candy on a 16-bit klooge to an 8-bit OS based on a
4-bit processor, used in two-bit systems without one bit of reliability.

Cheers!
Rich

John Fields

Jun 28, 2006, 4:46:15 PM6/28/06
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:50:44 GMT, "Rich, but drunk" <a...@example.com>
wrote:

>Windows: 32-bit eye candy on a 16-bit klooge to an 8-bit OS based on a
>4-bit processor, used in two-bit systems without one bit of reliability.
>
>Cheers!
>Rich

---
More than likely, "Poor and drunk" was the source of that crap.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

JeffM

Jun 28, 2006, 4:57:57 PM6/28/06
>Windows: 32-bit eye candy on a 16-bit klooge to an 8-bit OS
>based on a 4-bit processor, used in two-bit systems
>without one bit of reliability.
> Rich, but drunk

The original read:
...written by a 2-bit company which cannot stand one bit of
competition.
I like both versions.

Rich, but drunk

Jun 28, 2006, 6:24:05 PM6/28/06
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:46:15 -0500, John Fields wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:50:44 GMT, "Rich, but drunk" <a...@example.com>
>
>>Windows: 32-bit eye candy on a 16-bit klooge to an 8-bit OS based on a
>>4-bit processor, used in two-bit systems without one bit of reliability.
>>

> More than likely, "Poor and drunk" was the source of that crap.

Geez, John. You sure seem to have a hard-on for me. What is it I've done
to you, or is it just that you haven't learned to hold your liquor yet?

Thanks,
Rich