Selenium Rectifiers

Corky

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00
Could someone please tell a little about selenium rectifiers?
History, how they work, what used for etc....
Nothing elaborate just the basics. Thanks

John Popelish

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
In article <273f5a30...@usw-ex0105-038.remarq.com>,

Corky <co...@myremarq.com> wrote:
> Could someone please tell a little about selenium rectifiers?
> History, how they work, what used for etc....
> Nothing elaborate just the basics. Thanks

I do not know the solid state physics behind the operation of selenium
rectifiers, and they were obsolete for most applications by the time I
became active in electronics, so I have seen only a few of them.
however I have a book, Reference Data for Rdio Engineers, 5th Edition
from Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc. Copyrighted 1968 that provides the
folowing info:

For a single device (they are fabricated as a coated metal {steel, I
think} plate, usually with a bolt hole in the center, for stacking
with brass connection washers and insulating spacers),

Typical forward drop 1 volt
Typical reverse voltage rating 27 volts
Typical current rating .6 amps per square inch of plate area
Maximum current rating (for heat sunk plates) 1.95 amps per square inch
Maximum operating temperature 130 C
Normal operating ambient temperature 35 C
Typical operating life 60,000 to 100,000 hours
Poor high frequency capability compared to silicon rectifiers.

And from my experience, they have a very strange and unforgetable odor
if they are overheated (and also usually exhibit some trace of this odor
normally, unless they are sealed with a coating.

--
John Popelish

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

StarChaser Tyger

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
Might want to take a look at rec.antiques.audio+phono. Selenium
rectifiers were used in a lot of old radios. The problem is they are
prone to causing fires, and selenium is poisonous, so often the first
thing anyone does in a restoration is to replace them.

Corky <co...@myremarq.com> wrote:
> Could someone please tell a little about selenium rectifiers?
> History, how they work, what used for etc....
> Nothing elaborate just the basics. Thanks

Graham Knott

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
They smell horrible when overheated!!

Corky <co...@myremarq.com> wrote in message

> Could someone please tell a little about selenium rectifiers?
> History, how they work, what used for etc....
> Nothing elaborate just the basics. Thanks

De Guerin

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
They are also REALLY toxic .. !!! if you can smell anything then you are
already inhaling dangerous levels of selenium .. !!

Andre

REALITY.EXE corrupted. Reboot universe (Y)es (N)o .. ?

bio...@erols.com

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
This is were the term "metal rectifier" originated. In the tube-type
world, one often hears this term used when speaking of rectification.

Mark