schematic vs breadboard

elesser

Sep 13, 2006, 6:09:40 AM9/13/06
Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a simple A/D convertor from a schematic on my
breadboard.
Now, I've built something, but I'm not sure that it's wired
correctly...

The following link will show a picture of my breadboard and from the
schematic:
http://stunix.netfirms.com/AD/index.htm

Note that the red wire is the ANALOG IN and the black wire connected to
the scope is the PULSE output.

Would anyone be able to tell me if there's something wrong with the
wiring?

Thanks!

David L. Jones

Sep 13, 2006, 6:22:31 AM9/13/06

Your chip is in backwards!
Pin 1 should be the pin with the dot next to it.
Also, your 0.1uF capacitor is shorted by the strip in the board.

Haven't really checked for other problems, they were the two obvious
things.

Dave :)

Eeyore

Sep 13, 2006, 6:25:09 AM9/13/06

elesser wrote:

Surely you can do that yourself ?

What are you expecting the circuit to DO ?

Why do you think you have a problem ?

Graham

Eeyore

Sep 13, 2006, 6:28:13 AM9/13/06

"David L. Jones" wrote:

> elesser wrote:
>
> > Would anyone be able to tell me if there's something wrong with the
> > wiring?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Your chip is in backwards!

Brilliant.

It would have helped it he'd used a more conventional colour coding !

Typical googler.

Graahm

elesser

Sep 13, 2006, 6:28:20 AM9/13/06
Thanks!

What exactly do you mean by "shorted by the strip in the board"?

Eeyore

Sep 13, 2006, 7:05:53 AM9/13/06

elesser wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> What exactly do you mean by "shorted by the strip in the board"?

It means the 2 'holes' you have it plugged into are internally connected in the
'breadboard'.

Maybe you think the connections run the other way ? They don't ( except for the
power connections on the outer part ).

Graham

David L. Jones

Sep 13, 2006, 7:22:00 AM9/13/06

Having the "right" colour wires would have still produced the same
result...

> Typical googler.

I'm offended! :->

The OP would not be the first beginner to get an IC in backwards. Heck,
after 25 years I still do it occasionally when my brain isn't on the
job!
Not much fun unless it smokes though, but still an essential part of
the beginner learning curve. You don't learn much when your circuit
works first go!

Dave :)

David L. Jones

Sep 13, 2006, 7:27:14 AM9/13/06
elesser wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> What exactly do you mean by "shorted by the strip in the board"?

Exactly as Graham said, but a picture tells a thousand words:
http://www.machineproject.com/classes/images/Breadboard.jpg
http://www.iguanalabs.com/breadboard.htm

Depending on the breadboard model, the horizontal power strips can be
split in half and not run all the way along, a trap for young players.

Dave :)

Eeyore

Sep 13, 2006, 7:29:55 AM9/13/06

"David L. Jones" wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:

> > > Your chip is in backwards!
> >
> > Brilliant.
> >
> > It would have helped it he'd used a more conventional colour coding !
>
> Having the "right" colour wires would have still produced the same
> result...

It might have made the mistake more obvious though !

Graham

elesser

Sep 13, 2006, 7:31:20 AM9/13/06
Ok, thanks a lot Dave, I corrected these two mistakes, and it seems to
work now...
The only problem is that I don't have an AC source to test it with (I
thought of a mic, but I wouldn't know how to connect it to a
breadboard...)

Btw, I'm a student Electronics and Computer Engineering (in the second
year), and we only worked with breadboards for about a month in the
first year, and all the rest is FPGA's and microcontrollers, etc.. So
that's the reason I'm not so good at wiring breadboards...

Anyway, thanks a lot!!!!

Eeyore

Sep 13, 2006, 7:56:03 AM9/13/06

elesser wrote:

> Ok, thanks a lot Dave, I corrected these two mistakes, and it seems to
> work now...
> The only problem is that I don't have an AC source to test it with (I
> thought of a mic, but I wouldn't know how to connect it to a
> breadboard...)
>
> Btw, I'm a student Electronics and Computer Engineering (in the second
> year), and we only worked with breadboards for about a month in the
> first year, and all the rest is FPGA's and microcontrollers, etc.. So
> that's the reason I'm not so good at wiring breadboards...

How do you make microcontrollers work then ?

Graham

and please stop top-posting btw.

David L. Jones

Sep 13, 2006, 8:13:01 AM9/13/06

Schools usually have "trainer" systems with everything (sadly)
pre-connected.
Just compile your code, download, and the LED flashes or the LCD lights
up.
Means everything works first go and the teacher doesn't have to waste
time actually teaching anything :->

Dave :)

John Ferrell

Sep 13, 2006, 10:48:44 AM9/13/06
A little off topic:
Why not use top posting?
Bottom posts require that I page through stuff I have likely already
read.
If the response is at the top, I only need to read that. If I don't
recall the original it is there as a footnote.

Do you have a reader that automatically sends you to the new material?

I admit to following the herd on this subject!

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:56:03 +0100, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriend...@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote:

>and please stop top-posting btw.

John Ferrell W8CCW

John Larkin

Sep 13, 2006, 11:45:37 AM9/13/06
On 13 Sep 2006 04:31:20 -0700, "elesser" <ele...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, thanks a lot Dave, I corrected these two mistakes, and it seems to
>work now...
>The only problem is that I don't have an AC source to test it with (I
>thought of a mic, but I wouldn't know how to connect it to a
>breadboard...)
>
>Btw, I'm a student Electronics and Computer Engineering (in the second
>year), and we only worked with breadboards for about a month in the
>first year, and all the rest is FPGA's and microcontrollers, etc.. So
>that's the reason I'm not so good at wiring breadboards...

I hate those plastic breadboard things. I prefer to solder parts
live-bug style on an old hunk of copperclad. It's a lot easier to
understand, and you can add "comments" with a marker pen and keep it
for future reference.

If you're serious about electronics, you should set up a personal
mini-lab: scope, DVM, function generator, soldering iron, power
supply, a small stock of parts. The things you hear in class tend to
just whizz by and be forgotten, but if you actually make working
circuits, the theory becomes real and sticks.

"Electronics" education is less and less about electronics, mostly
because all that computer and digital stuff is so cheap to teach.

John

John Larkin

Sep 13, 2006, 11:48:39 AM9/13/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:48:44 -0400, John Ferrell
<johnf...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>A little off topic:
>Why not use top posting?
>Bottom posts require that I page through stuff I have likely already
>read.

You might install those newgangled things on your screen, "scroll
bars" I think they're called.

The main reason to not top-post is because most everyone on usenet
trims and bottom-posts, and think it rude if you don't. Consider it an
issue of manners.

John

DJ Delorie

Sep 13, 2006, 12:25:37 PM9/13/06

John Larkin <jjla...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> writes:
> The main reason to not top-post is because most everyone on usenet
> trims and bottom-posts,

It's been my experience that most people don't trim, yet still bottom
post, which is very inconsiderate, since then you have to scroll
(usually past lots of repeat and multi-quoted text) to get to the new
text.

Also, most people interleave, not bottom-post. If everyone learned to
trim down to the minimum, and interleave post, I'd be happier.

Usenet news servers used to enforce the rule that you had to have more
new text than old, but that's long gone.

Me, I trim heavily and interleave my replies most of the time, but top
post when the text I'm quoting is more of a footnote than something
I'm replying to.

James Thompson

Sep 13, 2006, 12:56:31 PM9/13/06

"David L. Jones" <alt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Looks to me that the ic is in right. pin 1 is lower left and 8 is top left
and connected to positive. The .1 cap is in line with the pin1 instead of
pin 5 where it should be, and is indeed shorted by the breadboard connector.

Homer J Simpson

Sep 13, 2006, 2:05:53 PM9/13/06

"elesser" <ele...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ok, thanks a lot Dave, I corrected these two mistakes, and it seems to
> work now...
> The only problem is that I don't have an AC source to test it with (I
> thought of a mic, but I wouldn't know how to connect it to a
> breadboard...)

Stick your finger on the input. That'll couple a little 60 cycle AC in.

Homer J Simpson

Sep 13, 2006, 2:05:54 PM9/13/06

"DJ Delorie" <d...@delorie.com> wrote in message

> It's been my experience that most people don't trim, yet still bottom
> post, which is very inconsiderate, since then you have to scroll
> (usually past lots of repeat and multi-quoted text) to get to the new
> text.

And tragic for the blind usenet users who have to listen through all of the
other crap over and over and over again.

If I have to scroll down as often as not I'll skip the message.

Puckdropper

Sep 13, 2006, 3:03:49 PM9/13/06
John Ferrell <johnf...@sprintmail.com> wrote in

*snip*

> Do you have a reader that automatically sends you to the new material?

No, but close. Whem I'm reading posts with lots of quotes I can hit
[shift]+[space] to jump down to the first bit of unquoted text. This
works only when others use properly quoting newsreaders (where quotes are
greater than signs at the start of the line.)

I'm using Xnews as my newsreader.

Puckdropper

John Ferrell

Sep 13, 2006, 4:33:51 PM9/13/06

>The main reason to not top-post is because most everyone on usenet
>trims and bottom-posts, and think it rude if you don't. Consider it an
>issue of manners.
>
>John

I will try to remember to follow the tradition.
John Ferrell W8CCW

David L. Jones

Sep 13, 2006, 5:38:44 PM9/13/06
John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:48:44 -0400, John Ferrell
> <johnf...@sprintmail.com> wrote:
>
> >A little off topic:
> >Why not use top posting?
> >Bottom posts require that I page through stuff I have likely already
> >read.
>
> You might install those newgangled things on your screen, "scroll
> bars" I think they're called.

Now that I'm using Google Groups, it doesn't really matter if people
top or bottom post, it automatically hides the quoted text, no need to
scroll - nice. If your newsreader doesn't do this automatically then I
suggest you get one that does, it's a great feature. I find myself
rarely opening and reading the quoted text because I am already
familiar with the thread. So I'd say that probably 90% of the time the
quoted text is a waste of space for me.

It's interesting to note that in other email lists like Yahoo Groups,
top posting seems to be the norm.

If you try and convince people to bottom post then they just end up
throwing in ALL the quoted text and you have to scroll a heck of a long
way just to get to the one new paragraph. It can be horribly
inefficient.

I've never really understood the issue either, if you are quoting a
whole block of text then it *is* very inefficient to bottom post, and
scrolling in this case is a PITA.

Of course, if you are quoting paragraphs then you do it inline and then
bottom post your final comment, that is of course very sensible.

But now of course we have a bigger problem, Google Grouper snobbery,
which is even worse! To the point where some people are kill-filing
every person who uses Google groups, how ridiculously stupid. There are
some very good reasons to use Google Groups for some people, and some
"old timers" like myself have switched over to it.

Dave :)

David L. Jones

Sep 13, 2006, 5:42:42 PM9/13/06
James Thompson wrote:
> Looks to me that the ic is in right. pin 1 is lower left and 8 is top left
> and connected to positive. The .1 cap is in line with the pin1 instead of
> pin 5 where it should be, and is indeed shorted by the breadboard connector.

Take another look, the IC is in back to front.
Turn the chip around and all the pins become correct, including the cap
on pin 5.

Dave :)

Homer J Simpson

Sep 13, 2006, 6:57:41 PM9/13/06

> But now of course we have a bigger problem, Google Grouper snobbery,
> which is even worse! To the point where some people are kill-filing
> every person who uses Google groups, how ridiculously stupid. There are
> some very good reasons to use Google Groups for some people, and some
> "old timers" like myself have switched over to it.

Yes. My News Server doesn't carry comp.sys.tandy which is a group I read and
post to. And since it's a subcontracted service I'm doubtful I can get that
fixed.

jasen

Sep 14, 2006, 5:40:47 AM9/14/06
On 2006-09-13, elesser <ele...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, thanks a lot Dave, I corrected these two mistakes, and it seems to
> work now...
> The only problem is that I don't have an AC source to test it with (I
> thought of a mic, but I wouldn't know how to connect it to a
> breadboard...)

if you've got it working with a potentiometer on the input, you could try
AC from a small low voltage transformer (use a voltage divider if the
transformer puts out too many volts)

if that looks good then yeah you could try a microphone (it'd probably need
amplifying before the DAC) or the signal from the headphone socket of a
cheap radio (no point in risking a good radio...)

Bye.
Jasen

Rich Grise

Sep 27, 2006, 5:09:30 PM9/27/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:31:20 -0700, elesser top-posted:

> Ok, thanks a lot Dave, I corrected these two mistakes, and it seems to
> work now...
> The only problem is that I don't have an AC source to test it with (I
> thought of a mic, but I wouldn't know how to connect it to a
> breadboard...)

Nothing to it. Go to the local electronics place, and get a mic jack.
Solder a couple pieces of #24 bare wire to the contacts, and poke them
into the breadboard.

And please try to learn to bottom-post; top-posting upsets the natural
flow of the thread.

Thanks!
Rich

Rich Grise

Sep 27, 2006, 5:13:35 PM9/27/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:48:44 -0400, John Ferrell wrote:

> A little off topic:
> Why not use top posting?

It disrupts the natural flow of the conversation.

> Bottom posts require that I page through stuff I have likely already
> read.

That's what snipping is for.

> If the response is at the top, I only need to read that. If I don't
> recall the original it is there as a footnote.

Well, interleaved posting is acceptable, if there are multiple points
that you want to address. (like this post of mine.)

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Grise

Sep 27, 2006, 5:16:23 PM9/27/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:48:39 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:48:44 -0400, John Ferrell
>
>>A little off topic:
>>Why not use top posting?
>>Bottom posts require that I page through stuff I have likely already
>>read.
>
> You might install those newgangled things on your screen, "scroll
> bars" I think they're called.

Are there still people using mouses without a scroll wheel?

One caveat with bottom-posting, of course, is intelligent snippage.
When I see a post with a dozen levels of thread quoted and big piles
of >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>'s, to where the reply is off the bottom of my
screen, I just skip the post. >:->

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Grise

Sep 27, 2006, 5:18:31 PM9/27/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:33:51 -0400, John Ferrell wrote:

>>The main reason to not top-post is because most everyone on usenet
>>trims and bottom-posts, and think it rude if you don't. Consider it an
>>issue of manners.
>>
> I will try to remember to follow the tradition.

Try to get into the habit of hitting "Control-END" when your reply
window comes up. :-)

And thanks for acknowledging the convention. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

Sep 27, 2006, 5:23:42 PM9/27/06
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:38:44 -0700, David L. Jones wrote:

> But now of course we have a bigger problem, Google Grouper snobbery,
> which is even worse! To the point where some people are kill-filing
> every person who uses Google groups, how ridiculously stupid. There are
> some very good reasons to use Google Groups for some people, and some
> "old timers" like myself have switched over to it.

Well, yes, but you apparently know your elbow from a hole in the ground.

Like, you're using whole words and complete sentences, that make sense,
and everything is spelled right. That's not Googlegroupie behaviour.

What I usually do with them is ignore the obvious homework questions
and the ones where they abbreviate everything ridiculously because they
never bothered to learn to type.

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

Sep 27, 2006, 5:29:26 PM9/27/06

Heh! Got bit by that one myself, once. :-)

I noticed on the one page, they sell jumper sets, color-coded by length -
hell, Real Men use tinned solid wire and teflon tubing! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

John Fields

Sep 27, 2006, 5:42:53 PM9/27/06
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:29:26 GMT, Rich Grise <ri...@example.net>
wrote:

---
_Real_ men wire-wrap.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

David L. Jones

Sep 27, 2006, 5:47:48 PM9/27/06

You use insulation?
Real men don't need insulation!

Dvae :)

Puckdropper

Sep 27, 2006, 7:50:12 PM9/27/06
Rich Grise <ri...@example.net> wrote in

*snip*

> Are there still people using mouses without a scroll wheel?

Yes, and I'm not giving my mouse up!

> One caveat with bottom-posting, of course, is intelligent snippage.
> When I see a post with a dozen levels of thread quoted and big piles
> of >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>'s, to where the reply is off the bottom of my
> screen, I just skip the post. >:->

Who cares if it's intelligent or not? At the very least cut off all the
previous replies except the original post you're replying to. Don't
reply to an reply through an original post.

> Thanks,
> Rich

Puckdropper

Sep 27, 2006, 7:50:54 PM9/27/06

> Try to get into the habit of hitting "Control-END" when your reply
> window comes up. :-)

That's a long reach.

> And thanks for acknowledging the convention. :-)
>
> Cheers!
> Rich

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

Sep 27, 2006, 7:51:59 PM9/27/06

*snip*

> never bothered to learn to type.
>
> Cheers!
> Rich

I type with both hands. Does that mean I stereotype?

Puckdropper

Sep 27, 2006, 7:54:13 PM9/27/06
John Fields <jfi...@austininstruments.com> wrote in

> _Real_ men wire-wrap.

Real men don't need none of these stinkin' prototypin' methods. They
simply build the project.