Are economists funny?

Christopher Currie

Jun 22, 1994, 1:48:58 AM6/22/94
Almost all professions have jokes about them, but I've never
heard a joke about an economist or economics. Do such jokes exist?
I find that hard to believe, so I'm posting this request--it's not
an urgent request, but I think it's an important one :)
Thanks.

- Cheers,
Chris

Anthony Kenneth Postert

Jun 22, 1994, 2:15:11 PM6/22/94
Do they exist? Chris, where have you been? Here are two of
my favorites:

1. If you stacked all the economists in the world on top of each other,
they still couldn't reach a conclusion.

2. A physist, a chemist and an economist are stranded on an island, with
nothing to eat. A can of soup washes ashore. The physist says, "Lets
smash the can open with a rock." The chemist says, "Lets build a fire and
heat the can first." The economist says, "Lets assume that we have
a can-opener..."

Anthony Postert
pos...@ownet.rice.edu

Roger E. Studley

Jun 22, 1994, 3:35:24 PM6/22/94

- Cheers,
Chris

My favorite:

An economist is someone who sees something that works
in the real world and wonders if it will work in theory.

-- Roger

Christopher Currie

Jun 22, 1994, 5:25:53 PM6/22/94
Hey, I heard one:

An economist, a philosopher, a biologist, and an architect were
were arguing about what was God's real profession. The philosopher
said, "Well, first and foremost, God is a philosopher because he
created the principles by which man is to live." "Ridiculous!" said the
biologist "Before that, God created man and woman and all living things
so clearly he was a biologist." "Wrong," said the architect. "Before
that, he created the heavens and the earth. Before the earth, there
was only complete confusion and chaos!" "Well," said the economist,
"where do you think the confusion and chaos came from?"

- Cheers,
Chris

Len Olszewski

Jun 22, 1994, 6:09:27 PM6/22/94

In article i...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu, ccu...@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Christopher Currie) writes:

|> Almost all professions have jokes about them, but I've never
|> heard a joke about an economist or economics. Do such jokes exist?
|> I find that hard to believe, so I'm posting this request--it's not
|> an urgent request, but I think it's an important one :)
|> Thanks.
|>
|> - Cheers,
|> Chris

1) If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, they still
wouldn't reach a conclusion.

2) As a test of the problem solving abilities instilled by various
academic disciplines, an engineer, a physicist and an economist were
each put on a desert island with food and water in cans, but with no
can opener or other artifact to open them.

The engineer build a tower out of bamboo over some rocks from which
he suspended the cans one at a time, and included a release mechanism
triggered by a tug on a woven vine which dropped each can onto the
rocks, splitting it open.

The physicist performed numerous calculations in the sand, taking the
shape of each can, it's hardness and composition, and the moment of
force necessary to impart the correct amount of force to the can's
weakest point, then directed a blow to that point with a seashell,
and successfully opened the cans.

The economist began by pondering the cans, then said "Assume a can
opener..."

These are all I could remember.

|Len Olszewski, Project Manager | "Not everyone who snores is |
|sas...@unx.sas.com|Cary, NC, USA| sleeping." - Source Unknown |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|

Conrad Hirano

Jun 22, 1994, 6:19:22 PM6/22/94
I remember reading this in a book, although I can't recall the title or
authors right now.

The First Law of Economists

For every economist, there exists an equal and opposite economist.

The Second Law of Economists

They're both wrong.

Mike Schaal

Jun 23, 1994, 12:45:42 AM6/23/94
In article <hirano.7...@sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu>,
hir...@sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu (Conrad Hirano) wrote:

> The First Law of Economists
>
> For every economist, there exists an equal and opposite economist.
>

> The Second Law of Economists
>
> They're both wrong.

This was a nice quiet bar until those d*m* economists took over!

--
A. Michael Schaal
am...@psuvm.psu.edu

Brian Paquet

Jun 23, 1994, 5:53:30 AM6/23/94
ccu...@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Christopher Currie) writes:

> Almost all professions have jokes about them, but I've never
>heard a joke about an economist or economics. Do such jokes exist?

1:
From an econometrics class. We were being told about Shazam a stats package.

"After you are done, type shazam, then shazam it is done."

[Ok so it ain't very funny, it's econometrics;)]

2:

Economist and a Businessman were in the woods. They see a bear.
The economist runs away. Businessman says "You silly
economists, assumeing you can outrun a bear.". Economist
says "No I am assumeing I can outrun *you*".

I plan on telling the second one a lot should I get into
the MBA program I applied for ;)

--
Brian Paquet, bpa...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca aka Lumbering Ox
Commish WLCF [World League of Combat Football]

J Storrs Hall

Jun 23, 1994, 11:33:59 AM6/23/94
ccu...@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Christopher Currie) writes:

> Almost all professions have jokes about them, but I've never
>heard a joke about an economist or economics. Do such jokes exist?

Two economists are walking down the street. One sees a dollar lying
on the sidewalk, and says so.

"Obviously not," says the other. "If there were, someone would have
picked it up."

--JoSH

Mark Craver

Jun 23, 1994, 1:51:02 PM6/23/94

>ccu...@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Christopher Currie) writes:
>
>> Almost all professions have jokes about them, but I've never
>>heard a joke about an economist or economics. Do such jokes exist?

Just read the .sig!!!
* We have 2 classes of forecasters: Mark W. Craver *
* Those who don't know . . . and SAS Institute, Inc. *
* those who don't know they don't know. Cary, N. C. *
* - John Kenneth Galbraith (919) 677-8000 *

Michael Alexander

Jun 23, 1994, 6:07:40 PM6/23/94
to ccu...@s.psych.uiuc.edu
On 22 Jun 1994 05:48:58 GMT, Christopher Currie wrote:

> Almost all professions have jokes about them, but I've never
>heard a joke about an economist or economics. Do such jokes exist?

>I find that hard to believe, so I'm posting this request--it's not
>an urgent request, but I think it's an important one :)
>Thanks.
>
> - Cheers,
> Chris

I beleive it was Churchill who said, "If I ask ten economists a question, I
will get eleven answers, one of them will change his mind halfway through."

There is also a joke about the last Mayday parade in the Soviet Union.
After the tanks and the troops and the planes and the missles rolled by
there came ten men dressed in black.

"Are they Spies?" Asked Gorby?

"They are economists," replies the KGB director, "imagine the havoc they
will wreak when we set them loose on the Americans"

Also,

Do you know the definition of a shame: A bus full of economists going over
a cliff.

Do you know the definition of a crying shame: A bus full of economists
going over a cliff with an empty seat.

AND THE CLASSIC:

What this nation needs is a one-handed economist.

Michael Alexander
(A.K.A. Rednaxela)
alex...@gold.tc.umn.edu

Mark O. Wilson

Jun 23, 1994, 4:51:28 PM6/23/94

I'm told that Pres. Johnson once asked for a one armed economist.
So that he couldn't say "On the other hand ... ".
--
Mob rule isn't any prettier merely because the mob calls itself a government
It ain't charity if you are using someone else's money.

Gary N. Clark

Jun 26, 1994, 4:10:14 AM6/26/94
Chris;
An Economist is someone who didn't have enough personality to become an
accountant.

Regards,
Gary.

Guy Pfeffermann

Jun 26, 1994, 5:18:01 PM6/26/94
Why did God create economists ?

In order to make weather forecasters look good.

(Christopher Currie) wrote:

--
Guy Pfeffermann <gpfeff...@worldbank.org>

Don Steiny

Jun 26, 1994, 11:46:09 PM6/26/94
In article <2u8jca$i...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, ccu...@s.psych.uiuc.edu
(Christopher Currie) wrote:

> Almost all professions have jokes about them, but I've never
> heard a joke about an economist or economics. Do such jokes exist?
> I find that hard to believe, so I'm posting this request--it's not
> an urgent request, but I think it's an important one :)
> Thanks.

The Wall Street Journal and the Economist magazine make fun of
economists all the time.

-don
--
Don Steiny - ste...@steiny.com - http://steiny.com/steiny.html
Don Steiny Software - 214 Calvin Place - Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Paul Swanson

Jun 27, 1994, 4:20:17 PM6/27/94
In article <2u9v3f$k...@larry.rice.edu> pos...@owlnet.rice.edu (Anthony Kenneth Postert) writes:

>(Two modestly funny jokes deleted.)

Here is the best economist joke I have seen:

Q: How many Chicago School economists does it take to change a
light bulb?

A: None. If the light bulb needed changing the market would have already
done it.

Paul.

Robert Frank

Jun 28, 1994, 5:49:19 AM6/28/94
Hello,

another joke:

Two men are flying in a captive balloon. The wind is ugly and they come away
from their course and they have no idea where they are.
So they go down to 20 m above ground and ask a passing wanderer.

"Could you tell us where we are?"
"You are in a balloon."
So the one pilot to the other:
"The answer is perfectly right and absolutely useless. The man must be an
economist"

Greetings

Robert
--
Robert Frank, Dept. of Economics; University of Munich
D-80539 Munich, Schackstr. 4 /IV, Federal Republic of Germany

eco...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz

Jun 28, 1994, 9:02:00 PM6/28/94
How many economists does it take to change a lightbulb?

None - they let market forces do it.

- Keith

mrich...@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu

Jun 29, 1994, 1:12:01 PM6/29/94

Better version (IMHO): Answer: None - they sit around in the dark and
wait for the invisible hand.

Martin

Pasi Kuoppamaki

Jul 1, 1994, 9:12:36 AM7/1/94
u51...@sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de (Robert Frank) writes:

>Hello,

>another joke:

>Two men are flying in a captive balloon. The wind is ugly and they come away
>from their course and they have no idea where they are.
>So they go down to 20 m above ground and ask a passing wanderer.

>"Could you tell us where we are?"
>"You are in a balloon."
>So the one pilot to the other:
>"The answer is perfectly right and absolutely useless. The man must be an
>economist"

This joke continues...

Wanderer: "Then you must be business managers!"

Pilot: "Yes we are! How did you know?"

Wanderer: "You had such a good view from the balloon as you were above
everything and yet you do not know where you are!"

Cheers
--
* Pasi Kuoppamaki * Home phone : +358-0-340 1964
* Paneliantie 3 * E-Mail: k21...@kyyppari.hkkk.fi