Quotes wanted for an Economist's T-shirt

David Lloyd-Jones

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

"Amitabh Chandra" <cha...@pop.uky.edu> wrote:

>We're trying to design a T-shirt for the Department of Economics, and would
>appreciate any ideas. The more obnoxious, the better.

The whole universe is a free lunch. - Dave Oldridge.

There's that great Adam Smith quote about every meeting of merchants
being a conspiracy against the people.

My Daddy told me businessmen were SOB's. - JFK

The Laffer Curve turned upside down makes a great Bozo/Happyclown
mouth.

Good luck.

-dlj.

>Thanks in advance,
> Amitabh.

Amitabh Chandra

Jo Anne Slaven

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

I've been called many things, but never an intellectual.
- Tallulah Bankhead

--
There's no point in being a woman if you have to be specific as well.
Charlotte Bingham

Gordon Sande

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

>> We're trying to design a T-shirt for the Department of Economics, and would
>> appreciate any ideas. The more obnoxious, the better.
>> Thanks in advance,

There is the marvelous story about Truman(?) who wanted advice from a one
armed economist. Seems he was tired of the advice that went

"... on the one hand ... and on the other hand ..."

Either label both arms or make a one armed T-shirt.

Gordon Sande

Gary Godfrey

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Amitabh Chandra wrote:

> We're trying to design a T-shirt for the Department of Economics, and would
> appreciate any ideas. The more obnoxious, the better.
> Thanks in advance,

How about a shirt with a bunch of hands (to be PC, use different colored
hands), each with a saying in the middle: "supply side economics", "Keysian is
the key" and big letters through the middle that say "Economics: On the Other
Hand".

Gary

David Peever

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <01bb8df3$6d8f5560$8e1a...@CHANDRA.Business>, "Amitabh Chandra" <cha...@pop.uky.edu> says:

>We're trying to design a T-shirt for the Department of Economics, and would
>appreciate any ideas. The more obnoxious, the better.
>Thanks in advance,
> Amitabh.

A few ideas:

Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.

We have two classes of forecasters: those who don't know, and those who
don't know that they don't know. (Galbraith)

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he
predicted yesterday didn't happen today. (Peter)

A study of economics usually reveals that the best time to buy anything
is last year. (Allen)

An economist is someone who sees somthing working in practice and asks
whether it would work in principle. (Goldfeld)

What's the difference between mathematics and economics?
Mathematics is incomprehensible; economics just doesn't make any sense.

FWIW
D.P.

Keith Wignall

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

"Amitabh Chandra" <cha...@pop.uky.edu> writes:
> We're trying to design a T-shirt for the Department of Economics,
> and would appreciate any ideas. The more obnoxious, the better.

"Economists do it in the marketplace".

"Old economists never die - they just reach an equilibrium".

There ought to be some innuendo based on non-satiation and/or
convex preferences, if only I could think of it.

- Keith

Paul Walker

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <01bb8df3$6d8f5560$8e1a...@CHANDRA.Business>,
cha...@pop.uky.edu says...

>We're trying to design a T-shirt for the Department of Economics, and
>would appreciate any ideas. The more obnoxious, the better.

>Thanks in advance,
> Amitabh.

Economists do it with models

-- Paul.
Paul Walker p.wa...@econ.canterbury.ac.nz

Douglas J. McCann

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

A picture of an economist with his hand held out... begging,
with the quote
"Buddy, can you paradyn?"

David Lloyd-Jones

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

It's "paradigm"

As in:

"Paradigm: ideology in bell-bottoms.

David Lloyd-Jones"

-dlj.

David Lloyd-Jones

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

aa...@ccn.cs.dal.ca (Douglas J. McCann) wrote:

>A picture of an economist with his hand held out... begging,
> with the quote
> "Buddy, can you paradyn?"

It's "paradigm"

As in: