Chlorine from H2O2 + HCl ???

hanson

May 24, 2004, 11:05:19 PM5/24/04
Back on Jan 27th 2004 Farooq had the following exchange
with me in: "Making a small quantity of ferric chloride (III)"

[hanson]
FeCl2 + HCl + 1/2 H2O2 ----> FeCl3 + H2O
....c) add a Cl2/water solution to the FeCl2 soln,
which you make on the side from diluted
2 HCl + H2O2 ---> Cl2 + 2 H2O
2 FeCl2 + Cl2 ----> 2 FeCl3

[Farooq]
> 2 HCl + H2O2 ---> Cl2 + 2 H2O
> Does this actually occur?

[Hanson]
It seems so to me, as long as HCl is in stochiometric excess
over H2O2, else you'd get HClOx, where x = 1 to 4.
But even then it wouldn't matter, because HClOx, with Fe2+ and
Fe present, will be reduced to the Cl- in the oxidized FeCl3.

[Farooq]
I think Hydrogen peroxide is unable to oxidize HCl to OCl- or
chlorite, or perchlorate ion, keeping in mind the chemical properties
of H2O2 and electrode potentials of hydrogen peroxide.
Hypochlorite ion is more powerful oxidizing agent than peroxide ion ,
and both are not compatable with each other, the final reaction being
OCl- +H2O2--> O2 +Cl +H2O. I remember this reaction produces light
when a suitable dye is used.

[hanson]
Interesting. When I get back into the labs, I'll asked them to play
with your assertion and find out. Don't hold your breath though.
It'll take time.

-------------

I finally got to it and it turned out that both of us were right.
Here are the quick and dirty fly by nite experiments I did.

2 HCl + H2O2 --//--> Cl2 + 2 H2O
Mix of ~10% HCl/H2O + ~10% w/w H2O2/H2O both ~ 50 ml each
stayed colorless. --- Even upon heating to 50-60°C still colorless
and a little foaming of colorless bubbles evolved. No smell: --> O2
but no trace of any chlorine smell or yellow fumes.
***** Just as Farooq predicted ****

FeCl2 + HCl + 1/2 H2O2 ----> FeCl3 + H2O
Mix of ~ 50 ml each ~10% HCl/H2O with 1/2 tsp FeCl2 turned
light green and upon addition of ~10% w/w H2O2/H2O the solution
turned immediately deep yellow indicating Fe2+ ---> Fe3+ oxidation.
***** Just as hanson said it would ****

Farooq, thanks a million! You showed me something.
You are a good man, dude.
hanson

Mohammed Farooq

May 25, 2004, 12:30:30 AM5/25/04
[hanson]
>FeCl2 + HCl + 1/2 H2O2 ----> FeCl3 + H2O
>.....c) add a Cl2/water solution to the FeCl2 soln,

-------------

Hanson,
You would not believe it, just yesterday I was thinking of asking you
whether you checked the very same reaction mentioned above but I
thought that you must have long forgotten it.
I was more interested in the chemiluminescent reaction between
hypochlorite ion and hydrogen peroxide in presence of a suitable dye,
you mentioned that you would check that reaction also, since you seem
to have an excellent background in organic chemistry, you might be
able make a better dye or something.

KellyClarksonTV

May 25, 2004, 1:29:00 AM5/25/04
I remember H2O2 can isolate Iodine from KI, but the resulting iodine recombines
with the KOH already formed. The result is the H2O2 decomposes to H2O and O2,
with the KI being a catalyst.

hanson

May 25, 2004, 1:34:01 AM5/25/04
"Mohammed Farooq" <faro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
[Farooq]

> Hanson,
> You would not believe it, just yesterday I was thinking of asking you
> whether you checked the very same reaction mentioned above but I
> thought that you must have long forgotten it.
> I was more interested in the chemiluminescent reaction between
> hypochlorite ion and hydrogen peroxide in presence of a suitable dye,
> you mentioned that you would check that reaction also, since you seem
> to have an excellent background in organic chemistry, you might be
> able make a better dye or something.

[hanson]

"You would not believe it, just yesterday I was thinking of asking you"
Oh yes, I do believe that. AFAIAC, such events are nothing but bioelectric
induction phenomena, today too feeble to be externally "objectively"
detected and measured. ..... There is so much that we humans do not
know about ourselves yet, let alone about the environment....ahahaha..
These thought coincidences (and all that other paranormal stuff) will
one day be "discovered" when metrology has suffioclety advanced in
its state of the art. Currently, we are still on such a primitive level that
we don't even know yet how to define mass, space and time rigorously.

BTW, I am not very active in the lab any more ....for decades now.
But, I still have extremely fond memories from working on the
bench, orchestrating & mastering the "play of matter and molecules".
So, these days, I mostly post from and during my long, long boring
flights.... while the interns and juniors tell me about the laughs they have
with other use-net morons... on this same handle.....and in concert,
I just returned from a long flight, probably having traveled some 5-6
miles over your domicile to/fro my destination north of the Karakoram-
Pamir.....engaging with you subconsciously on a bio-el resonance due
to the rather "small" 1/r^2 differential of induction intensity.
Take care man,
hanson

SNUMBER6

May 25, 2004, 8:44:21 AM5/25/04
>From: "hanson" han...@quick.net

>Mix of ~10% HCl/H2O + ~10% w/w H2O2/H2O both ~ 50 ml each
>stayed colorless. --- Even upon heating to 50-60°C still colorless
>and a little foaming of colorless bubbles evolved. No smell: --> O2
>but no trace of any chlorine smell or yellow fumes.
> ***** Just as Farooq predicted ****

People have the tendency to think that H2O2 is a great oxidizing agent ... It
is ... but its relative greatness is many times higher in basic solution than
acidic solutions ...
The half cell reaction is
H2O2 = O2 + 2H+ +2e E = -0.682

Be seeing you