How to remove vinegar smell?

In C. Kim

Jan 20, 1995, 10:18:32 AM1/20/95
Hi all,

By a mistake, a few drops of acetic acid were dropped on carpet. Could
somebody suggest how to get rid of that vinegar smell? Thanks.

--In C. Kim

Gillian Gardner

Jan 20, 1995, 6:26:22 PM1/20/95
Maybe try sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda. It would neutralize the
the acid and is a popular method for absorbing odors.

Billy Gnosis

Jan 21, 1995, 3:22:36 PM1/21/95

>Hi all,

>--In C. Kim

Well, you could try n-butyl mercaptan... that will get rid of the vinegar
smell. :)
Billy Gnosis * bgn...@lust.isca.uiowa.edu
GEEK 1.0.1 GS d---@ -p+ c++ l+ u+ e+(*) m+(-) s !n h*
f g- w+(++) t+ r+ x? Nerd: 86.5%

In C. Kim

Jan 21, 1995, 9:19:32 PM1/21/95
Billy Gnosis (bgn...@isca.uiowa.edu) wrote:

: Well, you could try n-butyl mercaptan... that will get rid of the vinegar
: smell. :)

Hi Billy,

I am looking at Merck Index (10th ed).
n-butyl mercaptan: 2-butanethiol,
Mobile liquid, Heavy skunk odor.

Have you tried with this liquid? Then, how about skunk odor?

Could you please point which company carries n-buyl mercaptan. Sigma
catalogue did not carry this chemical. I wonder Aldrich carries this.
Thanks.

In C. Kim <in...@carina.unm.edu>
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Ernest S. Tomlinson

Jan 22, 1995, 3:14:04 PM1/22/95
Or, try ammonia water. Will (a) neutralize and remove the volatile acetic
acid and (b) replace the smell of vinegar with something much, much worse.

-et
--
Ernest S. Tomlinson, ?? (I used to be a chem major, once.)
----

In C. Kim

Jan 22, 1995, 5:06:25 PM1/22/95
Ernest S. Tomlinson (e...@pride.ugcs.caltech.edu) wrote:
: Or, try ammonia water. Will (a) neutralize and remove the volatile acetic

: acid and (b) replace the smell of vinegar with something much, much worse.

: -et
: --
: Ernest S. Tomlinson, ?? (I used to be a chem major, once.)
: ----

Hi,

Fantastic idea! You got to be a GENIUS:)

Jeff Harlan

Jan 22, 1995, 6:43:14 PM1/22/95

> Billy Gnosis (bgn...@isca.uiowa.edu) wrote:
>
> : Well, you could try n-butyl mercaptan... that will get rid of the vinegar
> : smell. :)

This was a sick joke. If you use any thiols, your neighbors will think
there's a gas leak and call the fire dept.
Jeff