Ques about Sodium Carbonate

1 view

Mark J. Paskiet

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
I recently read an artical which discusses using sodium carbonate and
water to remove rust through a process involving electrolysis. I have
not been able to locate any. Some other names given in the artical were
Washing Soda, and Sal Soda. Could someone please tell me what some
other uses of Sodium Carbonate are, and where I might purchase some.
Thanks for any info.

TMETHOD

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
This is an experiment in un-cross-posting a thread. Please God, let it
work.
If you want to continue the conversation, respond to this post rather than
its predecessors. Thank You.

In article <tice-22099...@tice.nai.net>,
Bradley D. Tice <ti...@nai.net> wrote:
>>The protection from ex post facto law is only applicable to criminal
>>cases. You can be made subject to civil penalties for things that were
not
>>illegal at the time the act was committed.
>>
>>I work for a chemical company. I know.
>>
>>As a matter of fact, a new test will be in court because a woman is
suing
>>an automaker for not installing airbags in cars before it was required,
>>resulting in the death of her daughter.

>You apparently have a very deep misunderstanding of the meaning of
>civil liability and torts. One has always been able to sue for actions
>that were not in violation of any codified law, and so were not
>"illegal". This is, in fact, the essence of tort liability. While I
>doubt that the woman will be successful in her claim over the airbags
>(simply bringing suit is trivial), such suits can accomplish huge
>things. Consider, for instance, the asbestos cases, where such firms as
>Johns-Manville were selling asbestos products in full knowledge that
>they were dangerous. It was not illegal to sell them, but the judgement
>against the asbestos companies was enormous.

>There are those who are trying to bring suit against the tobacco
>companies on the same grounds: that the companies knew their product was
>deadly and sold it anyway, suppressing the results of research.

TMETHOD

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
This is an experiment in un-cross-posting a thread. Please God, let it
work.
If you want to continue the conversation, please respond to this post

rather than its predecessors. Thank You.

In article <laurenceD...@netcom.com>, laur...@netcom.com (Andrew
Laurence) writes:

>sshe...@indy.net (Steve & Sherri Sherman) writes:
>
>>>I hope your not defending this lawsuit. There is absolutely no place
for
>this
>>>kind of garbage in our legal system.
>
>>What ??? Someone gets third degree burns, and that's NOT justification
for a

>>lawsuit ? You're wrong !
>
>It takes more than damages to successfully prosecute a lawsuit. It takes
>negligence (or intentional tort). I can be badly burned, and that's too
bad,
>but if it's my own fault (or no one's fault), then I can't win a lawsuit.
>--
>|------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
>| Andrew Laurence laur...@netcom.com
|
>| Certified NetWare Engineer (CNE) Oakland, California, USA
|
>| Independent Networking Consultant Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8)
|
>|------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
TECH Method Training
HVACR Trouble Shooting Books/Software
Tel 313-671-0188 Fax 313-676-9262

John Vinson

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
You can make your own sodium carbonate solution in the kitchen!
Just dissolve some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in water and
bring to a boil; it will foam vigorously giving off carbon
dioxide; what's left is sodium carbonate solution.

The equation (if it matters) is:

2 NaHCO3 -> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O

and it's driven to completion by the insolubility of CO2 in
boiling water.

Karl Hahn

Sep 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/27/95

You can get sodium carbonate under the name washing soda at the grocery
store among the laundry products. You can also get it (at a much higher
price) at swimming pool supplies under the name pH-up.

The corrosion reduction process you described above works on silver
and copper corrosion. I don't think you'll have much success reducing
iron corrosion.

You will need a piece of zinc (available at the marine supply store
under the general heading of cathodic protection). If the corroded
copper of silver is brought into electrical contact with the zinc
while submerged in a sodium carbonate solution, the corrosion is
reduced back to the original metal. This happens at the expense of
the zinc, which corrodes in the process.

--
| (V) | "Tiger gotta hunt. Bird gotta fly.
| (^ (`> | Man gotta sit and wonder why, why, why.
| ((\\__/ ) | Tiger gotta sleep. Bird gotta land.
| (\\< ) der Nethahn | Man gotta tell himself he understand."
| \< ) |
| ( / | Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
| | |
| ^ ha...@lds.loral.com my opinions need not be Loral's

RC Bozett

Oct 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/12/95
hahn@newshost (Karl Hahn) wrote:

Na2CO3 can be got from baking soda by heating it. Just take some Arm &
Hammer, heat it ( on the stove ), and presto....washing soda. Sodium
Cabonate! Sodium BiCarbonate + Heat = SodiumCarbonate + HOH
Correct me if i'm wrong! Thanks. -RCB-

Jeff Watson

Oct 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/18/95
bl...@pobox.com (RC Bozett) wrote:

>hahn@newshost (Karl Hahn) wrote:

Sodium Carbonate is Soda Ash, you can buy it in 50 or 100 pound bags
at any industrial commodity chemical supplier. Try call Van Waters &
Rogers, they can either sell it to you or help you find it. I pay
about 10 cents a pound for it in Texas. Hope it helps.
Jeff Watson
jef...@metronet.com

Stephen Miller

Oct 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/21/95
Martin Ystenes <yst...@kjemi.unit.no> writes:
>"Caleb B." <cal...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>I don't think you can heat Sodium Bicarbonate to get Sodium carbonate without a
>>catalyst. either that or it would take a very long time.... Of course there
>>are 2 ways to find out for sure..... Merck or try it.....

>Fire extinguishers use sodium bicarbonate that is transformed into
>washing soda plus water vapor and CO2. I do not think the powder
>includes a catalyst.

Sodium bicarbonate decomposes to sodium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide,
especially when heated.

2NaHCO3 --> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O

Stephen Miller
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco

RC Bozett

Oct 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/22/95
"Caleb B." <cal...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>I don't think you can heat Sodium Bicarbonate to get Sodium carbonate without a

>catalyst. either that or it would take a very long time........ Of course there

>are 2 ways to find out for sure..... Merck or try it.....

I have tried it on more than one occasion, the first being in an high
school chemistry course. And the result agrees quantitativley with the
equation. And it does not take long at all, only a few min.

As for the action of baking soda in breads and buiscuts, I don't know.
Perhaps the water vapor adds adds texture as does CO2 in yeast breads.
I don't think that eating small amts. of Na2CO3 would be harmful
considering the acid environment of the stomach.

-RCB-

P.S. Merck says NaHCO3 converts to Na2CO3 at 100deg. A temp easily
gotten on a stove. Great simple exp't for demonstrating the utility of
balanced chemical equations.