Question about the difference between natural synthetic horemones

1 view

agni...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2006, 1:14:24 PM8/24/06

American cyclist Floyd Landis tested positive for synthetic
testosterone. As I understand it, synthetic testosterone has atoms of
different isotopes then natural testosterone. I know that there some
difference between human and animal insulin. I also understand that
there are some differences in synthetic and human thyroid. Can some
hormones differ in atomic structure or chemically?

Uncle Al

Aug 24, 2006, 5:31:17 PM8/24/06

Testosterone is testosterone. Testing uses high resolution mass spec
for C-12/C-13 ratios and distribution within ion fragments.
Herbivore- and petroleum-sourced testosterones have characteristic
divergent isotope abundances compared to stone-ground human stuff.

Protein products are typically composition-divergent.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

barry...@yahoo.com.au

Aug 24, 2006, 7:04:58 PM8/24/06
I heard it was isomerism rather than isotopes - the synthetic is a
racemate and the natural is a single enantiomer.
Can anyone give us a definite answer?
Barry

agni...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2006, 8:13:31 PM8/24/06

> Protein products are typically composition-divergent.
>
> --
> Uncle Al
> http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
> (Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
> http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf

Does composition-divergent.mean the same thing as .have different
atoms? When I look up testosterone on the net the sites I go to say
testosterone is a protein. Is testosterone composition-divergent? Or is
testosterone always the same in terms of atoms? Is this true for
insulin?

luc...@sbcglobal.net

Aug 24, 2006, 10:15:20 PM8/24/06

<barry...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

>I heard it was isomerism rather than isotopes - the synthetic is a
> racemate and the natural is a single enantiomer.
> Can anyone give us a definite answer?

Close. First line screening looks for an epimer of natural testosterone,
not an enantiomer--an epimer has one isomerized chiral center, as opposed to
being entirely of the opposite handedness. Since the synthetic stuff is
almost certainly made by elaborating some other readily-available naturally
occurring steroid, most of the chiral scaffolding of the molecule is already
fixed, with only one or two chiral centers introduced in the synthesis.
After a positive first-line screen, the second-line screen is based on the
C-13 content. My understanding is that the unusual epi-testosterone ratio
can (not likely, but can) occur due to abnormal but natural metabolic
processes, but an unusual C-13 content is unequivocally from man-made
material.

Eric Lucas

Message has been deleted

luc...@sbcglobal.net

Aug 24, 2006, 10:45:59 PM8/24/06

"Bob" <bbx10...@excite.XYZ.com> wrote in message

> On 24 Aug 2006 17:13:31 -0700, agni...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>When I look up testosterone on the net the sites I go to say
>>testosterone is a protein.
>
> Testosterone is not a protein.

Oh, yeah, I meant to reply to that, too. I'd love to see what websites he's
finding that say testosterone is a protein, and how he's finding them.
Misinformation doesn't get any more basic than that.

Eric Lucas

agni...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2006, 7:09:58 AM8/25/06

I was wrong it said testosterone effects protiens not they were
protiens. In any case do the atoms in protien hormones differ?

agni...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2006, 7:12:51 AM8/25/06

Bob wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2006 17:13:31 -0700, agni...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >When I look up testosterone on the net the sites I go to say
> >testosterone is a protein.
>

> Testosterone is not a protein.
>

> Re the Landis issue, look up epi-testosterone vs testosterone. One key
> test involved measuring the ratio of these two chemicals, which is
> very different for natural vs synthetic.
>

> bob

I am sorry. I read it wrong. As I understand it peptide hormones are
protiens. Do they differ in atoms?

David Bostwick

Aug 25, 2006, 9:46:13 AM8/25/06

It's on the Web, so it must be true.

agni...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2006, 10:18:29 PM8/25/06
All I wanted to know was can there be different virsons of the same
hormone that differ in atomic structure. Some hormones that are
products of endocrine glands are proteins or peptides; others are
steroids. However as you say all hormones have exactly the same
atoms then then every protines have the same atomic structure.