Cosmic Snowflakes and the Origin of Bigger Things

Craig Fink

Aug 7, 2006, 2:17:38 PM8/7/06
Water, the essence of life here on Earth, we are made of it. Earth has
oceans full of it. It is essential to life as we know it. But, what makes
it such an important molecule like no other? Composed of just one Oxygen
atom and two Hydrogen atoms it has some very unique properties that make
it so important to everything. The Hydrogen atoms are not distributed
evenly around the Oxygen atom, but are biased to one side at an angle of
105 degrees. Giving it an electric charge, positive on one side and
negative on the other. This bipolar electric charge giving it many of
it's unique properties like high freezing point, high boiling point, ...,
and the formation of beautiful snowflakes in the Winter.

But, is Earth the only place that snowflakes can form? Or, do they also
form out in the cosmos as molecules of water attach to each other one by
one held together by their electric charge. The force of electric charge
is orders of magnitude greater than the gravity holding them together. An
electric charge that allows it to forming a long string of frozen water to
make a Snowflake. Even Cosmic Snowflakes? I think so.

In recent years a new technique using aerogel to capture stardust
particles has been used to capture and analyze the bits and pieces of
matter flying around our solar system. Solar wind, stardust, cometary
particles that are brought back to Earth and studied. The technique used
to capture these particles would also explain how Cosmic Snowflakes would
work in the formation of many bigger things in the universe.

The aerogel is essentially a very low density silicon dioxide (SiO2) which
is almost nothing but empty space. Not really a gel, but a glass
snowflake. Two types of impacts have been found in aerogel samples brought
back to Earth. The first, and more familiar impact creating a long skinny
impact crater the shape of a carrot. Where the roots of the carrot contain
small samples of very dense matter from the cosmos and the walls of the
crater lined with glass from the aerogel.

The second and unexplained type of impact is much shallower in depth.
Where as the much longer impacts with a length (L) to diameter (D) ratio
greater than 4 always contain additional cosmic material, the much
shallower craters don't. They have L/D ratio ranging from 4 all the way
down to 0.5, forming an almost perfect half sphere crater. A symmetric
impact with the other half missing. The surface of these shallow craters
being made of glossy, melted glass and nothing else. No other cosmic
material, just a high energy impact glass lined crater.

What if the aerogel was impacted by a Cosmic Snowflake consisting of
nothing but water. H2O impacting SiO2, a snowflake impacting a snowflake.
If this impact did leave cosmic material behind it would consist of
nothing but Oxygen, already contained in the aerogel, and Hydrogen, which
is used in the manufacturing process of aerogel. An impact with no
material clue as to what caused it.

As a Cosmic Snowflake grows larger and larger, it would begin to exhibit
the material trapping qualities that makes aerogel such a good particle
collector. Dense cosmic particles impacting the very low density Cosmic
Snowflake would penetrate deep into the interior of the Snowflake,
creating the same carrot shaped trail and depositing it's mass within the
Snowflake. The walls of the impact crater lined with solid ice from water
that was vaporized, melted and refrozen within the frigid Snowflake. All
the energy of the impact absorbed by the extremely cold, more massive
Cosmic Snowflake.

As the Cosmic Snowflake continues growing, it collects more and a larger
variety of cosmic particles floating around the cosmos. Eventually,
resembling a Dirty Snowball. The thin flakes becoming solid ice as the
energy of all individual impacts melts and refreezes time and time again,
transitioning from a Dirty Snowball to a Comet.

The Comet then plunging into the depths of a stars gravity well, over and
over again. Melting and vaporizing the water ice to be blown back into
interstellar space by the star's solar wind. Where it begins the whole
process over again.

Impact energy, while being important to the size of the crater within the
aerogel, is not the only important factor in these impacts. Density of the
impactor is just as important in understanding what is impacting the
aerogel. Impacts of low density Cosmic Snowflakes would spread the energy
over a much larger area, producing a much shallower impact crater, while
still melting the aerogel and producing a glass lined crater. Also,
leaving no detectable impactor material to analyze. Low density Cosmic
Snowflakes would also vastly increase the probability of an impact
occurring in the first place, as the area/volume to mass ratio is so much
larger than a more dense “solid” object.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @ WeBe...@GMail.Com

Jan Panteltje

Aug 7, 2006, 3:21:35 PM8/7/06
On a sunny day (Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:17:38 GMT) it happened Craig Fink
<WeBe...@GMail.Com> wrote in <pan.2006.08.07....@GMail.Com>:

Next the cosmic snowman :-)

nightbat

Aug 7, 2006, 8:41:32 PM8/7/06
nightbat wrote

Craig Fink wrote:

nightbat

Thank you for your support of the nightbat profound " Black
Comet " deep theoretical possibility. Not many have been able to grasp
the multi varied linking to BH resolution. The first signs of
fundamental understanding of the most mysterious object at the center of
all galaxies and the progenitor of all galaxy formation is growing.
Thanks Craig for your comments.

regards,
the nightbat

Phineas T PuddleDuck

Aug 7, 2006, 8:55:24 PM8/7/06
In article <c9b4c$44d7ddbe$cf2a5b4a$21...@COMTECK.COM>,
nightbat <nigh...@home.ffni.com> wrote:

> nightbat
>
> Thank you for your support of the nightbat profound " Black
> Comet " deep theoretical possibility. Not many have been able to grasp
> the multi varied linking to BH resolution. The first signs of
> fundamental understanding of the most mysterious object at the center of
> all galaxies and the progenitor of all galaxy formation is growing.
> Thanks Craig for your comments.

Still spouting your aphysical bollocks, frooty?

--
Relf's Law = "Bullshit repeated to the limit of infinity
asymptotically approaches the odour of roses."

tapw...@roomtemperature.deg

Aug 8, 2006, 8:13:31 AM8/8/06
"All the energy of the impact absorbed by the extremely cold, more massive
Cosmic Snowflake."

I would prefer to say energy is transferred, rather than absorbed. A comet
that is almost exclusively water ice, in the shape of a snowflake is a
wonderful thought to contemplate. Maybe, somewhere out there, there is a
blizzard of Cosmic Snowflakes. WOW!!!
That could be part of a really beautiful science fiction movie.

"Craig Fink" <WeBe...@GMail.Com> wrote in message

Craig Fink

Aug 8, 2006, 1:33:22 PM8/8/06
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:13:31 +0000, tapwater wrote:

> "All the energy of the impact absorbed by the extremely cold, more
> massive Cosmic Snowflake."
>
> I would prefer to say energy is transferred, rather than absorbed. A
> comet that is almost exclusively water ice, in the shape of a snowflake
> is a wonderful thought to contemplate. Maybe, somewhere out there, there
> is a blizzard of Cosmic Snowflakes. WOW!!! That could be part of a
> really beautiful science fiction movie.

Or, a Beautiful Science Fact! With the evidence sitting about 5 miles from
me at JSC. I don't think it'll be long before it is proven that impacts
like this Stardust example are caused by Cosmic Snowflakes:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/myevents_viewer.php?movie_id=37336

Cosmic Snowflakes, the very first step after the first star went supernova
and blew all it's heavier atoms into interstellar space. The catalysis
that condenses the widely distributed matter of interstellar space into
bigger things. A never ending cosmic blizzard that continues even today.
Two water molecules coming together in interstellar space, then another,
and another until the newly formed “Virgin” Cosmic Snowflake is large
enough to start collecting other atoms, then groups of atoms, small
particle... Growing dirtier, larger and more solid until reaches the
status of a comet. A cycle that repeats itself as the comet evaporates by
the heat of a star, creating a dirt ball asteroid and blowing all the
water back out into interstellar space.

Energy isn't the only important factor in aerogel impacts. Density is also
a very important factor in how the damage is distributed in the aerogel.
Low density objects like Cosmic Snowflakes distribute their impact energy
more quickly and over a larger surface area and therefore create shallower
craters (pits). Objects of equal mass and velocity should create equal
amounts of damage, they should melt an equivalent mass of aerogel, which
will be found on the sides of the crater. But, if one of the object has
the density of solid water ice and the other object the density of a water
snowflake, the equal amounts of damage will be distributed differently in
terms of the shapes of the craters. One being the classic carrot shaped
crater that always contains samples. The other being the shallow craters
that never contains samples.

Detecting no particle material in shallow craters does not mean that there
is no impactor material present. And, certainly doesn't mean that it was
an ultra-high velocity impact. It does mean that you can't detect it.
Aerogel impacted by aerogel leaves a little extra aerogel. Aerogel
impacted by a Cosmic Snowflake leaves nothing, or at most a little extra
Oxygen and Hydrogen mixed into the glass. Something very hard to detect.
Maybe the ratio of Oxygen isotopes in the glass changed slightly.

In many respects Cosmic Snowflakes are better particle collecting devices
that aerogel (SiO2 snowflake). The atomic weight of water is less than
glass, reducing deceleration rates. Allows the smallest of impactors to
penetrate to a greater depth. It's melting point and boiling point are
extremely high for such a low atomic weight molecule, but quite a bit
lower than SiO2. So, it would absorb the impact energy quicker,
possibly at a lower overall temperature. Less deceleration, lower
temperature, quicker cooling, less stress on the impactor.

Here are some other papers and examples of Cosmic Snowflakes impacts
collected by other aerogel particle capture experiments. All the
descriptions of the shallow craters, or “pits”, accurately describe
impacts between Cosmic Snowflakes and aerogel. Pristine “virgin”
snowflakes with no particles inside. Slightly dirty snowflakes with just a
few particles inside.

Figures 3C, 4B and 4C
http://setas-www.larc.nasa.gov/meep/30-day/odc/odc_30_day_figures.html ...
...(3) C) Top (left) and side (right) views of a stubby track that does
not exhibit any obvious impactor residue...yet the stubby track,
presently, does not have an experimental analogue.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/shuttle-mir/science/iss/sc-iss-odc.htm
...Macroscopic examination of all surfaces revealed the presence of
various impact features: (1) classical carrot-shaped tracks, (2)
relatively shallow pits that are poorly understood and have no
experimental analogue, and (3)...

Figure 4
http://www.norsam.com/knife_article.pdf

http://setas-www.larc.nasa.gov/meep/1-year/odc/exec_summary.pdf
...A second class of features is rather shallow, with L/D ranging from 0.5
to 5. For the most part, these shallow pits did not contain measurable
residues, and have no experimental analog at velocities as high as 7
km/s...
...Apparently, the utility of aerogel has a velocity dependent limit
beyond which complete vaporization of the impactor may not be prevented.
This threshold velocity for vaporization is unknown for aerogel but it is
undoubtedly higher than for non-porous materials, rendering aerogel the
vastly superior collector medium in low-Earth orbit...

Pages 19-27, interesting, all describing Cosmic Snowflake impacts.
Pristine newly formed “virgin” Cosmic Snowflakes and older slightly
dirty Cosmic Snowflakes that had collected a tiny amounts of Stardust
within the Cosmic Snowflake. Largest (D) impacts being Cosmic Snowflake,
one with a L/D < 1 and 9mm across.
http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/TRS/_techrep/TM-1999-209372.pdf
...By comparison, the aerogel pits are remarkably colorless and
transparent. Brownlee (personal communications, 1998) made identical
observations and was somewhat frustrated that none of the pits retrieved
from EURECA yielded analyzable residue via SEM-EDS methods; we describe
similar results below. However, the spike-like cracks surrounding some of
these pits do, on occasion, contain dark materials that have not been
analyzed to date, and which may be impactor residue...
...Most of the largest impact features (> 5 mm in L or D) found on the ODC
collectors are pits. The largest impact feature to occur on ODC is a pit ~
9 mm across (Figure 23 and tile 2B01 in Appendix A). Despite its large
diameter, this event barely penetrated ~ 6 mm into the aerogel (see cross
section in Figure 23) and has an L/D < 1...

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC99/pdf/1916.pdf
...Interpretation:...
...(2) The shallow pits are not caused by low-density
projectiles. We have extensive experience with low-density, “fluffy”
impactors from experiments employing compressed cocoa powder at 3 to 7
km/s. Such impactors result in shallow depressions, but the latter contain
numerous, parasitic tracks; their interiors are not glazed, and they
contain copious amounts of projectile.
(3) The molten interiors of pits require high velocities. While we
cannot specify the velocity, the molten interiors argue for higher
velocities compared to unmolten, fractured and “feathery” cavity
walls.
(4) The pits contain no impactor residue. We have analyzed numerous
impact features produced by waste-water and all contain measurable K, Na,
and Cl, as a minimum, and pure water-ice seems unreasonable. This leaves
high velocity and associated vaporization of the impactor as the most
plausible cause.
(5) The ODC pits have no experimental analog, despite considerable
variability of experimental impact conditions in aerogel [2, 3, 4].
Typical, non-porous silicate or metal projectiles make deep tracks, akin
to A and B, at 3 – 7 km/s...

Craig Fink

Aug 8, 2006, 1:39:40 PM8/8/06
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:13:31 +0000, tapwater wrote:

> "All the energy of the impact absorbed by the extremely cold, more massive
> Cosmic Snowflake."
>
> I would prefer to say energy is transferred, rather than absorbed.

Oops, your right transferred not absorbed, then radiated out into space.
Forgot to change it in my just recently posted post. I'll get it right in
my next time. Thanks.

nightbat

Aug 9, 2006, 3:15:12 AM8/9/06
nightbat wrote

tapw...@roomtemperature.deg wrote:

> "All the energy of the impact absorbed by the extremely cold, more massive
> Cosmic Snowflake."
>
> I would prefer to say energy is transferred, rather than absorbed. A comet
> that is almost exclusively water ice, in the shape of a snowflake is a
> wonderful thought to contemplate. Maybe, somewhere out there, there is a
> blizzard of Cosmic Snowflakes. WOW!!!
> That could be part of a really beautiful science fiction movie.

nightbat

Not sci fi based tapwater but profound Earth Science Team
Officer's most profound deep theoretical scientific theory based on the
most terrifying object never ever seen in space, the nightbat " Black
Comet " for BH resolution. Yes, run for your lives for more terrifying
then the coffee boys, more terrifying then our own Saul's iterations,
even more terrifying then Scott finally agreeing with just one of the
worlds most profound science Officers, Officer Bert. With nuclear war
looming in the Middle East and hurling the planet into potential total
destruction, oh mercy!, there is the quiet unassuming brilliant Officer
nightbat and his exciting mysterious " Black Comet " the mother of all
snowballs that takes all prisoners that dares gets close.

ponder on,
the nightbat

Phineas T PuddleDuck

Aug 9, 2006, 6:18:15 AM8/9/06
In article <16bb2$44d98b88$41a244c3$86...@COMTECK.COM>,
nightbat <nigh...@home.ffni.com> wrote:

> nightbat
>
> Not sci fi based tapwater but profound Earth Science Team
> Officer's most profound deep theoretical scientific theory based on the
> most terrifying object never ever seen in space, the nightbat " Black
> Comet " for BH resolution. Yes, run for your lives for more terrifying
> then the coffee boys, more terrifying then our own Saul's iterations,
> even more terrifying then Scott finally agreeing with just one of the
> worlds most profound science Officers, Officer Bert. With nuclear war
> looming in the Middle East and hurling the planet into potential total
> destruction, oh mercy!, there is the quiet unassuming brilliant Officer
> nightbat and his exciting mysterious " Black Comet " the mother of all
> snowballs that takes all prisoners that dares gets close.

This is a physics newsgroup, not alt.pisspoor.sci-fi

Craig Fink

Aug 9, 2006, 4:49:43 PM8/9/06

lol, cosmic snowman? They all ready have a name.

Comets ;-)

nightbat

Aug 10, 2006, 3:47:55 AM8/10/06
nightbat wrote

Phineas T PuddleDuck wrote:
> In article <16bb2$44d98b88$41a244c3$86...@COMTECK.COM>,
> nightbat <nigh...@home.ffni.com> wrote:
>

>>nightbat
>>
>> Not sci fi based tapwater but profound Earth Science Team
>>Officer's most profound deep theoretical scientific theory based on the
>>most terrifying object never ever seen in space, the nightbat " Black
>>Comet " for BH resolution. Yes, run for your lives for more terrifying
>>then the coffee boys, more terrifying then our own Saul's iterations,
>>even more terrifying then Scott finally agreeing with just one of the
>>worlds most profound science Officers, Officer Bert. With nuclear war
>>looming in the Middle East and hurling the planet into potential total
>>destruction, oh mercy!, there is the quiet unassuming brilliant Officer
>>nightbat and his exciting mysterious " Black Comet " the mother of all
>>snowballs that takes all prisoners that dares gets close.
>

> Puddles

> This is a physics newsgroup, not alt.pisspoor.sci-fi

nightbat

On the contrary ducky the theories presented here in
alt.astronomy crossposted at times to other science groups is due to the
world wide scientist's interest and searching for the resolution to
singularity paradox. The profound BH resolution provided long ago by the
nightbat Puddles is based on existing observed evidence, deep field
applied mathematics, and unimaginable profound deep theoretical
deducement beyond your grasp. Sci Fi is for the other mainstreamers
trying to close the gravitational loop, get a clue. The Mother of all
comets is the one and only original nightbat " Black Comet ".

you may continue puddling,
the nightbat

Craig Fink

Aug 10, 2006, 8:13:36 AM8/10/06
More on Cosmic Snowflakes,

Optical Analysis of Impact Features in Aerogel From the Orbital Debris
Collection Experiment on the Mir Station, page 31, table 1
http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/TRS/_techrep/TM-1999-209372.pdf

Ignoring the orbital debris impacts (Flakes in the table). For ODC tray 1
plus the additional orbital velocity of the MIR space station. The
percentages of Dust tracks to Snowflake pits is:

41% Dust Tracks, 59% Snowflakes Pits

For ODC tray 2 minus the additional orbital velocity of the MIR space
station. It's:

61% Dust Tracks , 39% Snowflake Pits

So, the average of these two would seem to indicate that there should be
almost equal amounts of Dust tracks and Snowflake pits in the Stardust
aerogel being studied now.

This table also tell us a lot about the density or ballistic coefficients
of the particles. MIR is in low Earth orbit, where atmospheric drag can
have a significant effect on particles of different densities. Low density
particles will decelerate faster in the tenuous upper reaches of the
atmosphere that the MIR is orbiting. Higher density particles will not,
and retain much of their velocity. Drag is a function of time, so one
would expect that many of the less dense impactors would be slower and
some even in Earth orbit. Stardust samples may be different.

Therefore, due to density differences of the particles we see an unequal
distribution in the ratio of Dust Tracks to Snowflake Surface Pits, due to
the MIR's orbital velocity. Also, the Snowflakes (pits) are moving slower
as there are fewer impacts on the rear facing ODC tray.