Art Bell

Kevin Parker

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
(Man, I hope this takes some attention from that GOTO thread!!)

Hi all,

I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.

I worked temporarily as a Skeeter Killer. This entailed driving a Ford
Ranger with a sprayer on the back around at 10mph from 7pm to 4:30am. I
started listening to a news-talk station. Michael Reagan was from 7-10
(really like this guy, if that tells you anything about me), Jim
Bohannan (sp) was from 10-1 (liked listening, but he ticked me off a
lot) and good ol'e Art Bell was from 1-6. I can't figure this guy. I
don't discount the possibility of being visited by little grey men. Like
Jodi Foster said in "Contact," "It'd be an aweful waste of space" if we
were alone. Anyway, he spoke of odd contrails that appeared over
locations at which folks would get sick afterward. I take that with a
grain of salt, like most of what he said, but who knows? He also has
some fairly authentic looking pics on his website of UFO's. Again, who
knows.

What kind of opinions do you guys have?

(BTW, I'm only open-minded, not a whole-hearted alien believer)

Sincerely,
Kevin

>Visit our homepage! (birds, crafts, astronomy and more)
>www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/6830. Tks. KP

Rich N.

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Hi Kevin,

You can tell which people have been hit by the
chemtrails (odd contrails) because they are the
people that use GOTO mounts.

Rich ;-)

Kevin Parker wrote in message
<21239-377...@newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>...

Perry

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
to Kevin Parker
Kevin Parker wrote:

> (Man, I hope this takes some attention from that GOTO thread!!)
>
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.
>
> I worked temporarily as a Skeeter Killer. This entailed driving a Ford
> Ranger with a sprayer on the back around at 10mph from 7pm to 4:30am. I
> started listening to a news-talk station. Michael Reagan was from 7-10
> (really like this guy, if that tells you anything about me), Jim
> Bohannan (sp) was from 10-1 (liked listening, but he ticked me off a
> lot) and good ol'e Art Bell was from 1-6. I can't figure this guy. I
> don't discount the possibility of being visited by little grey men. Like
> Jodi Foster said in "Contact," "It'd be an aweful waste of space" if we
> were alone. Anyway, he spoke of odd contrails that appeared over
> locations at which folks would get sick afterward. I take that with a
> grain of salt, like most of what he said, but who knows? He also has
> some fairly authentic looking pics on his website of UFO's. Again, who
> knows.
>
> What kind of opinions do you guys have?
>
> (BTW, I'm only open-minded, not a whole-hearted alien believer)
>
> Sincerely,
> Kevin
>
> >Visit our homepage! (birds, crafts, astronomy and more)
> >www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/6830. Tks. KP

Since you asked, I recommend that you check back issues of 'Astronomy' and
'Sky & Telescope', or their web sites, for 'The Drake Equation' and
'Interstellar Travel'.

Bob Perry

~ 40 N 90 W with bitbucket faked into my address for the s p a m b o t s.

Robert

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Kevin Parker wrote:

> What kind of opinions do you guys have?

(on Art Bell)

If I had his business sense, I could also figure out how to
make money off of people's ignorance and wishful thinking.

But it's just not right. I have no respect for Art Bell at all.

- Robert

Robert

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Kevin Parker wrote:

> (BTW, I'm only open-minded, not a whole-hearted alien believer)

Open your mind to this:

Art Bell is a cultural parasite.

Rich N.

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
I enjoy the Art Bell show as theater of the air.

Rich

Robert

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Rich N. wrote:

> I enjoy the Art Bell show as theater of the air.
>
> Rich

Like Firesign Theatre ?

I admit the stuff is entertaining.

Neal Galt

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
to Kevin Parker
Little grey men definitely exist (there's one in my observatory) and they're
very big on "GO-TO" technology, chain letters, and writing on bathroom
walls. Neal

Kevin Parker wrote:

> (Man, I hope this takes some attention from that GOTO thread!!)
>
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.
>
> I worked temporarily as a Skeeter Killer. This entailed driving a Ford
> Ranger with a sprayer on the back around at 10mph from 7pm to 4:30am. I
> started listening to a news-talk station. Michael Reagan was from 7-10
> (really like this guy, if that tells you anything about me), Jim
> Bohannan (sp) was from 10-1 (liked listening, but he ticked me off a
> lot) and good ol'e Art Bell was from 1-6. I can't figure this guy. I
> don't discount the possibility of being visited by little grey men. Like
> Jodi Foster said in "Contact," "It'd be an aweful waste of space" if we
> were alone. Anyway, he spoke of odd contrails that appeared over
> locations at which folks would get sick afterward. I take that with a
> grain of salt, like most of what he said, but who knows? He also has
> some fairly authentic looking pics on his website of UFO's. Again, who
> knows.
>

> What kind of opinions do you guys have?
>

> (BTW, I'm only open-minded, not a whole-hearted alien believer)

Philip C. Farnam

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Bell's a pant-load as are his guests and topics.

-**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?c ****-
Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser

Rich N.

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99

R.D. Elliott wrote in message ...
> Opinions? Art Bell's audience is composed mostly of the ignorant,
>uneducated and gullible. He preys on their ignorance and gullibility.

Wait a minute, these people buy a lot of telescopes.

Rich

>He's a broadcast equivalent of a supermarket tabloid; the sort of
>"journalist" whose product has little connection to reality, is overly
>sensationalized, and is generally faked. I'd suggest picking up Sagan's
>_The Demon-Haunted World_ as an antidote...
>
> As far as the UFO pictures go, well, if the people who made the Matrix
>can use digital special effects to sucessfully enhance Keanu Reeves' acting
>talents, well, you can generate an authentic-looking pic of just about
>anything these days..:)
>

>R.D. Elliott

SkySea

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
>What kind of opinions do you guys have?

Well gee, since you asked....

I think Art Bell is yet another social parasite.

I think this thread is off-topic.

I think webtv is to the internet what guns are to people - a tool to allow the
most incompetent capable of doing the greatest damage.

Sincerely!

R.D. Elliott

Jim Van Nuland

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
>Kevin Parker wrote in message
><21239-377...@newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>...

>Hi all,

>I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.

This guy is the one who helped someone fake a flying saucer story, back
when C/Hale-Bopp was on its way in. IMHO the two of them should be
charged with accessory to the Heaven's Gate suicides.

>(BTW, I'm only open-minded, not a whole-hearted alien believer)

Be careful that you are not so open-minded that your brain falls out.

* SLMR 2.1a * Astronomers do it on mountaintops.
__
| Internet: Jim.Van...@sjpc.org
|
| A service of the San Jose IBM PC Club, running OS/2 Warp

Rich N.

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99

Jim Van Nuland wrote in message <8f0_990...@sjpc.org>...

>>Kevin Parker wrote in message
>><21239-377...@newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>...
>
>>Hi all,
>
>>I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.
>
> This guy is the one who helped someone fake a flying saucer story, back
>when C/Hale-Bopp was on its way in. IMHO the two of them should be
>charged with accessory to the Heaven's Gate suicides.

Jim, where do you get your info about the show? Do you
listen to the show? It sounds like you are getting second
hand information.

He had the fellow as a guest on the show but but that was all.
Art also helped later to show that this guest's story was bogus.

It was shown that the story on the show had virtually no influence
on the actions of the cult.

Rich

Mark Gingrich

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Kevin Parker asked:

> What kind of opinions do you guys have?

I've got a buddy who thinks there's a market for bumper stickers that
say, "Remote view this, Art Bell."

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich gri...@rahul.net San Leandro, California

Ryan

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99

Kevin Parker wrote in message
<21239-377...@newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>...
>I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.
>
>What kind of opinions do you guys have?

I used to listen to Art Bell all the time just WAITING for him to have one
good guest that would talk about some nonsence related to their own make
belive physics..

but in the weeks and weeks that would pass between those types of guests and
all the non stop reruns and all Art's pathetic Media stunts.. I started to
realize something about the guy.
He is a really really REALLY big liar. You ever notice how he's ALWAYS
done what the callers have done and he ALREADY knows everything the callers
say, etc.. like he is the KING of all that the callers would call in
about.. .. hmm its hard to explain but here.. here is some case and
point... for instance he has alot of shows about UFOs and so OF COURSE
everytime he has a guest or caller talking about UFOs.. he always
non-chalantly (well what he thinks is non-chalant (sic?)) says "Ohh have
you ever seen one? yeah i have " and then he goes into that stupid story
about the HUGE triangle he saw in the desert. whatever, First of all
even if he did see something which i doubt, but if he did im certain he is
blowing it completely out of proportion (the size) and plus he lives right
near Groom Lake or whatever they are calling that place now, and Ive driven
through the desert out there a couple times and i KNOW they fly all kinds of
jets, etc. out there so .. anyways
or if someone calls in about a out of body experience he says.. ohh yeah
ive had one of those... etc.
or it doesnt matter what you call in about he's ALREADY done it and is soooo
much better than you or whatever... and the REAL sad thing about him is
how he kisses Richard Hoaglands ass all the time.. that guy is just
rediculous with all his 19degress of the pyramid garbage. Hahaha.. anyways
Its too bad that he does such stupid shows all the time because he could
have done the whole thing tastefully, but thats something thats unfixable at
this point.

Ryan

AndersonRM

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
(Kevin Parker) writes:

>don't discount the possibility of being visited by little grey men.

I don't discount the possibility of seeing 10" apo objectives
growing in a garden, but it's not likely given the evidence we
have, is it?

>What kind of opinions do you guys have?

Personally? I think the one's who claim sexual tampering by aliens
had it done to them as children by humans.
-Rich

"Beware of academics and special interests that
speak of "group rights" as opposed to "individual
rights." This is Marxism thinly disguised as democratic
thought."

Roger Over

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Add to that list... Jerry Springer, Jenny Jones, Geraldo Rivera....

Rod Mollise

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
<<Anyway, he spoke of odd contrails that appeared over
locations at which folks would get sick afterward. I take that with a
grain of salt, like most of what he said, but who knows? He also has
some fairly authentic looking pics on his website of UFO's. Again, who
knows.>>

HI:

Ol' Art Bell speaks of a lot of things. Is there any truth to _anything_ he
says? I'd not care to venture a guess. But you've pretty much hit on the main
thing: take _whatever_ he says with a grain of salt! Art Bell was, after all,
the guy who really got the ball rolling on the IDIOTIC 'Saturn-like object
following Hale-Bopp' affair a couple of years ago. That ought to tell you
something right there. :-)

Also, just curious (we have a lot of skeeter spray trucks making their rounds
down here), but aren't you worried about constant exposure to the chemicals
you're spraying?

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Mobile Astronomical Society
http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index7.html
The Home of _From City Lights to Deep Space_:
Rod's Guidebook for the _Urban_ Deep Sky NUT!!

Stard...@webtv.net

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Art Bell is seriously whacked out, but fun to listen to while observing.
Once he had a time traveler on called "Single 7" for an interview. I
nearly busted a gut. Oh well, now I've got my shortwave going so I can
listen to RFPI for giggles.

Stard...@webtv.net (David M)
I love the night.The day is okay and the sun can be fun but I love to
see those rays slip away--Blue Oyster Cult

mdbra...@my-deja.com

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In article <377AE343...@nospamatix.netcom.com>,

supe...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Open your mind to this:
> Art Bell is a cultural parasite.

To begin, I'm not zeroing in on Robert, he just has the most
straightforward response that I've seen on this thread.

I enjoy listening to Art Bell when I'm driving home from the
observatory. Sure, many of the listeners (no, I'll say callers. I
expect that there are lots of sane listeners) are wackos, but they were
there before Art, and will be there after him.
When you listen to the show alot, you realize that there are some real
good parts scattered in there. For example, he was interviewing a
spelunker, and I fould that facinating. Sure, he kept interjecting
about underground lizardmen, but the interview itself was excellent.
Also, did you know that David Levy was interviewed just a few weeks ago
about comets and asteroids? It was very well done, Art was tactful and
David was excellent at dodging the Armaggedon questions. Would David
have wasted his time if he thought that Art was a "cultural parasite"?

It is fun to see the inner workings of his paranoid guests, and is
listening to him any more brainmelting tha watching Melrose Place?
Mike Bradshaw

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

LV VIC

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
That was Hilly Rose that interviewed David Levy on Dreamland(Art's weekend
show)about three weeks ago. Art did a pretty good job with an amateur
astronomer last week.
Vic

mdbra...@my-deja.com

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In article <19990701153826...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,

lv...@aol.com (LV VIC) wrote:
> That was Hilly Rose that interviewed David Levy on Dreamland(Art's
weekend
> show)about three weeks ago. Art did a pretty good job with an amateur
> astronomer last week.
> Vic

Thank you, now that I think about it, you are correct.

Philip Plait

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In sci.astro.amateur LV VIC <lv...@aol.com> wrote:
> That was Hilly Rose that interviewed David Levy on Dreamland(Art's weekend
> show)about three weeks ago. Art did a pretty good job with an amateur
> astronomer last week.

> Mike wrote:

> >Also, did you know that David Levy was interviewed just a few weeks ago
> >about comets and asteroids? It was very well done, Art was tactful and
> >David was excellent at dodging the Armaggedon questions. Would David
> >have wasted his time if he thought that Art was a "cultural parasite"?

If Art Bell wanted to interview me, I would agree, though I
think he is a cultural parasite too. My web page gets a few hits,
but Bell's show is heard by a lot more people than that, and they are
a ready made audience for someone who will champion real
science.

The point is, it's a good opportunity to perhaps give a bit of rational
thought into an otherwise uncritical audience. And the folks that
*are* more critical thinkers get to hear from someone on
their side for once.

* * * * * The Bad Astronomer * * * *

Phil Plait bada...@badastronomy.com
The Bad Astronomy Web Page: http://www.badastronomy.com

AndersonRM

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In article <7lfll2$oli$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>, "Roger Over" <nos...@noway.com>
writes:

>Add to that list... Jerry Springer, Jenny Jones, Geraldo Rivera....

Howard Stern, etc. What's the commonality with these people
that they enjoy putting crap on the air?

Jim Van Nuland

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
>From: "Rich N." <rn...@znet.com>
>Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 00:50:21 -0700

>Jim Van Nuland wrote in message <8f0_990...@sjpc.org>...

>>>Kevin Parker wrote in message
>>><21239-377...@newsd-122.bryant.webtv.net>...
>>

>>>Hi all,

>>>I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.
>>

>> This guy is the one who helped someone fake a flying saucer story, back
>>when C/Hale-Bopp was on its way in. IMHO the two of them should be
>>charged with accessory to the Heaven's Gate suicides.

>Jim, where do you get your info about the show? Do you
>listen to the show? It sounds like you are getting second
>hand information.

Only what I read here on S.A.A.

* SLMR 2.1a * Proud to be a supernova remnant.

Rich N.

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99

Jim Van Nuland wrote in message <936_990...@sjpc.org>...

>>From: "Rich N." <rn...@znet.com>
>>Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 00:50:21 -0700

>>> This guy is the one who helped someone fake a flying saucer story, back
>>>when C/Hale-Bopp was on its way in. IMHO the two of them should be
>>>charged with accessory to the Heaven's Gate suicides.
>

>>Jim, where do you get your info about the show? Do you
>>listen to the show? It sounds like you are getting second
>>hand information.
>
> Only what I read here on S.A.A.

You can trust what you read there. ;-)

Here is an alternate source.. 560 on your AM "dial"
between 10pm and 3am.

If I put the aluminum foil on my head just right.. I can
pick up on a number of other stations carrying Art Bell
that time of night.

Rich

PJ

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
Being a hardcore empiricist who also understands that empiricism is not an
absolute means to validating truth because our senses can be deceiving, I
find it difficult to recognize any sort of credibility from a man who
accepts prima facie the extraterrestrial observation claims of
non-scientific people. While maintaining an open mind, I do so in the midst
of critical thinking. If Art practiced a more scientific approach, his show
would not serve as an on-air triumph and parade for absurdity.

My son was watching "The Science Guy" on PBS the other day. Science Guy was
introducing critical thinking to his audience. At 2 1/2, I'm sure my son
didn't learn much, but I enjoyed Science Guy's illustration. From an
observatory (missed which one it was) with a large telescope, Science Guy
mentioned how many years the scope has been in use, and how many hours a day
the scope is scanning space. He leaned over toward the camera, put his hand
back toward the scope and yelled like an evangelist about how no one has
ever seen an alien craft of any sort through that scope. His point
throughout the show was that scientific proof is essential, and mere belief
is not properly basic.

Folks like Art who are not concerned with evidential support for such claims
are a walking insult to our intelligence. Faked UFO events are so common
that now there are instructional web sites for how to create a UFO hoax.
Hoaxers state that they are doing their hoaxing for a good cause: to
generate belief in earthly UFO activity. Instead, they have done nothing but
damage credibility. Groups like SETI that are taking a scientific and
research approach lose credibility because of folk like Art, hoaxers,
paranoid types, self-acclaimed abductees, and cultic organizations.

It was the atheist Hume who provided a series of tenets that must be met to
establish the validity of a miracle, including the following:
it must be observed by multiple men of sound mind and reputation who have
something to lose should they commit fraud (paraphrased). I think Hume's
tenets should be applied to the paranormal. Visitors from beyond earth never
seem to make themselves obvious to masses...it's always remote locations
where a few people who either need some attention or some money suddenly
observer the alien visitor(s).

-Phil

Kevin Parker wrote:

> (Man, I hope this takes some attention from that GOTO thread!!)
>

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering just how many of you folks listen to Art Bell.
>

> I worked temporarily as a Skeeter Killer. This entailed driving a Ford
> Ranger with a sprayer on the back around at 10mph from 7pm to 4:30am. I
> started listening to a news-talk station. Michael Reagan was from 7-10
> (really like this guy, if that tells you anything about me), Jim
> Bohannan (sp) was from 10-1 (liked listening, but he ticked me off a
> lot) and good ol'e Art Bell was from 1-6. I can't figure this guy. I
> don't discount the possibility of being visited by little grey men. Like
> Jodi Foster said in "Contact," "It'd be an aweful waste of space" if we

> were alone. Anyway, he spoke of odd contrails that appeared over

> locations at which folks would get sick afterward. I take that with a
> grain of salt, like most of what he said, but who knows? He also has
> some fairly authentic looking pics on his website of UFO's. Again, who
> knows.
>

> What kind of opinions do you guys have?
>

> (BTW, I'm only open-minded, not a whole-hearted alien believer)

Rich N.

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
Hi Phil,

You are taking this too seriously. The Art Bell show
is entertainment. It is fun after a hard day to sit back
late at night and listen to stories of little green men.

Rich

PJ

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
Unfortunately, not everyone is like you and interprets Art's show as
entertainment. I know people who take his show quite seriously and base their
knowledge of alien activity on his discussions, of which they believe to be
factual. Some of these people have allowed this to carry over into
anti-government sentiment and absurd conspiracy theories. Art Bell's impact on
people's world views, belief systems, and understanding of "science" is at a
distrubing level.

I wish every Art Bell listener was like you and was strictly entertained, but it
just ain't so.

-Phil

Rich N.

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99

PJ wrote in message <377F6D7A...@flash.net>...

>Unfortunately, not everyone is like you and interprets Art's show as
>entertainment. I know people who take his show quite seriously and base
their
>knowledge of alien activity on his discussions, of which they believe to be
>factual. Some of these people have allowed this to carry over into
>anti-government sentiment and absurd conspiracy theories.

But these ideas "play", as with good humor, because there have
been times that the government has used people as lab rats without
their knowledge. Not that this necessarily happens in the way or
to the degree some of Art's guest think.

Rich