Telescope Retailers - Where to buy?

1 view

Starboard

Jan 1, 2007, 4:54:19 PM1/1/07
Hope all the fine folks here on SAA are blessed (if you believe in
that sort of thing) with health and wealth in the new year.

That said, I'd like to know from the average Joe (not the folks who own
stock) the credibility of some of these telescope retailers. Customer
support, return policy, exchange, etc...

1) ORION: (www.telescope.com)
I have first hand experience with Orion. Most agree they're top notch.

2) ASTRONOMICS: (www.astronomics.com)
A friend in my club (PASNOLA) warned me against Astronomics. His bad
experience was probably just an isolated event because Jan stated a few
days ago that he had a long history of good service with Astronomics.

3) TELESCOPES: (www.telescopes.com)
???????

4) OPT: (www.optcorp.com)
???????

Others?

Errol
www.pasnola.org

Larry G.

Jan 1, 2007, 5:37:23 PM1/1/07

I've had nothing but good experience with Astronomics and Orion,
although it has been many years since I've dealt with either.
My personal preference it with Astronomics because I perceive they
are more intent on delivering what the customer needs, rather
than just what they will buy.

Cheers,
Larry G.

--
Your mind is a terrible thing to waste - TURN OFF YOUR TV!

Starlord

Jan 1, 2007, 5:38:57 PM1/1/07
Read the Telescope Buyers FAQ, it has a section dealing with just that
subject.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"Starboard" <errol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jan Owen

Jan 1, 2007, 5:56:39 PM1/1/07
"Larry G." <larryg@wattsamatta_u.edu> wrote in message

I'll second that...

Been dealing with Astronomics and Orion for decades, and have NEVER had a
bad experience with either... Nuff' said...

And in the believe it or not category, I've also bought telescopes from
Adorama without a hitch, and accessories as well, at quite friendly
prices... But I still would choose the previous two first... Probably
mostly a matter of how the sales folks interface with customers...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.6
Longitude: -112.3
http://community.webshots.com/user/janowen21

Starboard

Jan 1, 2007, 7:01:28 PM1/1/07

>Starlord wrote:
> Read the Telescope Buyers FAQ, it has a section dealing with just that
> subject.

Dennis, I need to remember to skim over your page from time to time.

I checked out the Obssesion link (www.obsessiontelescopes.com). Talk
about some fine scopes! If I fail to post with any regularity, you'll
now why: I bought the Obsession and Tammy got the 9 and blew the
moonlight clean through my head. One day. One day....

Errol
Pasnola

Rich

Jan 1, 2007, 8:02:09 PM1/1/07

RMOLLISE

Jan 1, 2007, 9:01:53 PM1/1/07

Rich wrote:

> buytelescopes.com

Yep. ;-)

Actually, we're lucky to have quite a few good scope retailers around
these days. What I remember from the "good old days" of the 60s - 70s
is a lot of snakeoil merchants only too happy to separate you from your
$$$ while giving little in return.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of:
Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
and
The Urban Astronomer's Guide
<http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

Davoud

Jan 1, 2007, 11:31:52 PM1/1/07
Starboard wrote:

<http://www.company7.com> is my hands-down winner. Nearly all dealers
drop-ship orders. Company Seven is staffed by astro-optics experts who,
among other things, participated in the first Hubble optics repair
program. They receive your merchandise from the vendor, unpack it,
inspect it for completeness, quality, collimation, etc., and when it
meets their high standards it is shipped to you. And the Company Seven
showroom/museum in Laurel, MD, is very much worth a visit if you find
yourself in the Baltimore-Washington area.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Jan 2, 2007, 10:50:16 AM1/2/07
www.astromart.com
all my astro buddies use them. Just gotta be careful what they put up on there....

Brian Tung

Jan 2, 2007, 2:01:02 PM1/2/07
Jan Owen wrote:
> And in the believe it or not category, I've also bought telescopes from
> Adorama without a hitch, and accessories as well, at quite friendly
> prices... But I still would choose the previous two first... Probably
> mostly a matter of how the sales folks interface with customers...

I've found that Adorama, like any of the New York photo outlets, gives
you a reasonably pleasant purchasing experience provided you've done
your research and give the impression you don't need your hand held
throughout the process. I bought my C5+ from Adorama with nary a
hitch. However, I've never had to return anything to a New York photo
outlet, and these days, I do all my purchasing locally. Usually from
Woodland Hills, but I've been known to shop elsewhere.

--
Brian Tung <br...@isi.edu>
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html

Dennis Woos

Jan 2, 2007, 3:24:03 PM1/2/07
I like to encourage folks to do business with those companies that support
the events that they attend. In my case, this means Stellafane and NEAF. I
also suggest that folks direct their dollars to those businesses that
support their club directly, e.g. by donating stuff for events and for
offering club member discounts.

Dennis

lal_truckee

Jan 2, 2007, 3:32:46 PM1/2/07
Starboard wrote:

> 4) OPT: (www.optcorp.com)
> ???????

Nobody seems to have vouched for Oceanside Photo and Telescope (OPT)
yet; I've done business with them and like the resulting product,
delivery, and problem(once) resolution. I've also made the effort to
visit their storefront in Oceanside, California - real store, lots of
stock, good customer assistance. Recommended.

Mij Adyaw

Jan 2, 2007, 6:31:33 PM1/2/07
Anacortes is very good.

www.buytelescopes.com

OPT is also good.

www.optcorp.com

Starboard

Jan 2, 2007, 7:32:36 PM1/2/07

> Nobody seems to have vouched for Oceanside Photo and Telescope (OPT)
> yet; I've done business with them and like the resulting product,
> delivery, and problem(once) resolution. I've also made the effort to
> visit their storefront in Oceanside, California - real store, lots of
> stock, good customer assistance. Recommended.

One of the guys in my club speaks highly of OPT as well.

Thanks for the input.

Errol
Pasnola.org

Starboard

Jan 2, 2007, 7:36:00 PM1/2/07

That's an extremely good point. I will consult the folks in my club
concerning same... As it seems there are many good places to buy astro
gear from, it may just come down to this.

Starboard

Jan 2, 2007, 7:40:03 PM1/2/07
Thanks everyone. I hate blindly buying from any retailer.

Errol
Pasnola.org

Bob G.

Jan 3, 2007, 11:17:43 AM1/3/07

Have to say that like Davoud....Company 7 is a fantastic "retailer"
and I am luck enough to live within a relatively short driving
distance form them PLUS I am located even closer to Hands On Optics...
in Damascus Maryland...which is also a highly reguarded and trustworth
dealer which stand behind, in front of, on the side of and I would
imagine under anything they sell ...

Honestly I do use the larger Vendors like Orion but when it comes down
to writing checks I prefer to be looking at the retailer eyeball to
eyeball... I feel very lucky to have both Both Company 7 and Hands On
Optics close by ..

Bob G.